ADVERTISEMENT

Should Robbie Howard be given the "Snyder Schedule"?

Delcolion915

Mar 19, 2022
In order to guard against further injury and to preserve his spot, should Cael put Robbie on a cut down, hand picked schedule this season?

No if he's healthy, he needs to get mat time. The injuries are concerning but him missing mat time is clearly affecting his development (he got worked by Volk and also Spratley, who are both true freshman this year and free was supposed to be his superior style)

Snyder was "pitch counted" because he was wrestling international tournaments during the season as well, not because he's injury prone.

I say let him run with the bulls. Like stated, a good seed at Bigs is important and I won't get comfortable until he gets a full season in. I think we need to see a Max stress test. If the shoulder can't make it, the earlier we know the better in my book. Plus we have some wiggle room this year, that we may not next. tOSU will be no joke in 23/24.

How can u even be sure he will remain the starter?? Heard the other 125 option ain’t too shabby
The posts I have seen on this board indicate otherwise...I don't have them copied and pasted but a few have posted that Howard has won easily each time.

It sucks because I saw a ton of potential in Robbie as a true freshman. He dealt with COVID and missed a lot of mat time and was basically just hanging with some solid opponents off his wrestling sense. A big thing about him out of HS was he just seemed to have a 6th sense in scrambles. That's why Cael was so high on him (and Brands was as well and he obviously knows lightweights) He's definitely dull from missing so much time but I believe he can regain it with more matches ... unfortunately ... health is a major issue now. Him being injured (he did end up finishing the first tournament) in back to back free tournaments is not good. Folk is ... a lot tougher on the joints.

Last edited:
__(INSERT HAWKEYE NAME HERE) is healthy now as far as I know, but it’s hard to believe he’ll be able to stay healthy throughout a Big Ten season and he’s missed a huge chunk of development in the last 2 years.
what you meant to say.....

• Haha
Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
The posts I have seen on this board indicate otherwise...I don't have them copied and pasted but a few have posted that Howard has won easily each time.
Are u sure about this?? I heard Steen was very competitive.. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Yes, I'm sure about this.
I think everyone hopes you are correct. We haven’t seen much, but what we have seen, when Robbie’s shoulder stays attached to his body, is that he’s next level.

I think everyone hopes you are correct. We haven’t seen much, but what we have seen, when Robbie’s shoulder stays attached to his body, is that he’s next level.
Not clear what you mean here: it's actually fact that it's not close between Howard and the next man up. That was proven, without need of any hope about me being "correct".

Reactions: nitlion6
Not clear what you mean here: it's actually fact that it's not close between Howard and the next man up. That was proven, without need of any hope about me being "correct".
My bad. Mixed you up with kigdagger. Responded to wrong post.

Steen isn't close to Howard at all. That being said Howard losing to Spratley and Volk also in freestyle makes me think even if by miracle, he's healthy all next season, we should temper expectations regardless. He has a long way to go to work back. Candidly, I thought he'd run through the junior bracket and make the team in that field (toughest competition being Richie Figs) Maybe 57KG kids are just really good these days but I'm skeptical.

Steen isn't close to Howard at all. That being said Howard losing to Spratley and Volk also in freestyle makes me think even if by miracle, he's healthy all next season, we should temper expectations regardless. He has a long way to go to work back. Candidly, I thought he'd run through the junior bracket and make the team in that field (toughest competition being Richie Figs) Maybe 57KG kids are just really good these days but I'm skeptical.
Well, clearly on his feet n freestyle…not sure who’s mat game is better though… probably Howard though if it’s not close

Well Richie Figs got beat as well so either the field was better than we thought or his development has stalled as well. I kind of think it’s the latter but we don’t have a lot of evidence either way. Richie Figs hasn’t lit the world on fire like many of us thought he would but he has lots of time still. I can’t see him cracking the ASU lineup this year though unless things change.

Volk and Steen were in a gun fight match in Vegas. Steen was on bad end of two 4 point moves with Howard of which one was a late inside trip Steen went after and got smashed down for a 4. So I’m not sure blow out is merited as score indicated.
Figs got beat at the Pgh Classic by the Pa kid (i forget who) so his high ceiling has come down this far.
Where does Bettancort fit vs Howard and Steen? Is Will in the room and active with those guys ?

Hearing that Robbie had another episode with his shoulder.
I really want to see a healthy Howard with a full year of competition to grow.

Steen is a more than adequate BU this year. I think we need insurance for 2023/4 = McGowan. I can't comment much on Davis or Nasedo, which is where I'll get hammered.

McGowan aside, down the road Lilledahl looks like an animal. My crystal ball has no idea who might be a career 125 or who might grow into a 133+ though. Kids do grow.

Greedy? I am ok with getting them both!

Reactions: Str8DBLz
Penn State is already wrestling a "Snyder Schedule" so to speak. Last year the most matches anyone wrestled was 25 and that was after Nationals. Beau Bartlett had 25 matches and 8 of those were Big Ten's and Nationals. So you are looking at 17 matches. I wouldn't call that a heavy workload.

Reactions: Str8DBLz
He needs to wrestle, needs to have the big ten schedule to get better/ get a feel for other guys/ get seed points. If his body cant take it lets find out sooner than later.

Reactions: Ski and Str8DBLz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT