ADVERTISEMENT

Senior WT Trials Thread

There's 3 refs in FS.

3-blind-refs1-300x190.jpg

1. hmm its guys like you why I hate Penn State. If more of you could be like Roar and Goldbandger could really talk about wrestling.
Since you're aligning w/Roar: I encourage you visit the Scout.com ("On The Mats") message board.

Sorry I don't link but I'm sure you can find it easily.

Introduce yourself. Then ease into all your claims re: CS lack of character, recruit violations, baeling, yada yada.. But let them know how sincere you are about the sport's overall good health (might help?)..
I anticipate good solid conversation.
Roar & friends are tops there, so you'll be treated fairly.

How about the fact that Jden Cox made adjustments after match 1 which allowed him to win.He also made adjustments after the injury and was still able to score.He sweats more then anyone I have ever seen which also made it difficult for either guy to keep there traction.About the 2 min mark you can see DT starting to get frustrated and it kept mounting and mentally he wasn't in it.I bet if he talks about it down the road he will say in my head I was thinking no no not again.

Nice interview with Zain posted on Alex Steen's OpenMat recap:

Zain says there's no bad blood and mentions that he's not wrestled Frank in practice in about a year because the coaches felt like "this would happen [they'd face each other] eventually."
Who's the toughest guy you've ever wrestled?
With 0 hesitation Zain's answer is Nick Suriano .... pound for pound the toughest no doubt about it.

It's windy and difficult to hear on my phone, but that's the gist of it.

Naw, I'd settle for you admitting that I do nothing different than you do here. I'd also settle for you thanking Mike Z for calling you all out for being too sensitive, childish crybabies for begging him to ban PSU fans when we say something you disagree with. That won't happen but I'd be pleased...:D
Ask Mike Z if i have reported anyone on HR.. because i haven't. Anyways, Congrats to all the members the USA freestyle team going to Paris! They need all of our support!

Fair enough. I sure didn't see him using it maliciously however. You could still see the adrenaline flowing through him after finally winning that National title. Can you imagine the emotions/physical exhaustion after his day of fighting on the mat? I can't, and all but a few in this world ever will. He will learn and adjust as he goes fulltime into World Freestyle. He is surrounded by outstanding people that will support and guide him. #USA
Just my 2 cents. The ease with which he used the term is the maliciousness, intended or not. One of those things about words do hurt, or just simple respect. Soap box put away.

I didn't mind and kind of enjoyed the emotion out of Cael/DT last night.

I enjoyed when McD threw his medal away.

Hell, I even enjoyed Metcalf shoving Caldwell, mid-air.

I'm just a fan of bad sportsmanship. Too many people wanna white-wash and bore our sport out of emotions... If you're pissed off, you should act accordingly.

Just my 2 cents. The ease with which he used the term is the maliciousness, intended or not. One of those things about words do hurt, or just simple respect. Soap box put away.

Without a doubt, what he said was disappointing. However, malice by legal or dictionary definition requires intent. We probably will never know one way or the other. I'm guessing that since he is a kid growing up in the Midwest, he may not realize it ain't cool to say that. (Homogenous populace and all that). I hope that changes. But I'm wrong most of the time, so he probably is just an A** that wrestled for that team we all love to hate....ummmm....respect? Maybe if he had wrestled in the Funderdome his whole college career, he would be a more upstanding citizen.

Reactions: nitlion6

I'm just a fan of bad sportsmanship. Too many people wanna white-wash and bore our sport out of emotions... If you're pissed off, you should act accordingly.
ugh, could you imagine this attitude and where it would lead if it were to be the belief of most in the sport? I am with Chickenman testa, First time offenders and once in a while kind of antics if the problem is really egregious is understandable human emotion. Kolat would have been given a pass from me the way he was screwed over(still can't believe how classy he was)...but to want that kind of behavior as commonplace would be boorish at best in my opinion.

ugh, could you imagine this attitude and where it would lead if it were to be the belief of most in the sport? I am with Chickenman testa, First time offenders and once in a while kind of antics if the problem is really egregious is understandable human emotion. Kolat would have been given a pass from me the way he was screwed over(still can't believe how classy he was)...but to want that kind of behavior as commonplace would be boorish at best in my opinion.
Wrestling is a combat sport. If a guy can win a world team birth with blood pouring all over his face, I could care less if somebody wants to throw a chair after a controversial loss.

Reactions: drock1971
To this day I do not understand why anyone cares what McDonough did with with his medal. It has absolutely nothing to do with sportsmanship. He's allowed to do with it as he pleases.
I agree but why do you think he threw it away in public? Correct me if I am wrong but didn't a local reporter see him do it and fish it out of the garbage?

Wrestling is a combat sport. If a guy can win a world team birth with blood pouring all over his face, I could care less if somebody wants to throw a chair after a controversial loss.
I understand you could care less, but if you don't think that attitude will not escalate those kind of reactions you are naive..where would it lead in the sport if it is glorified?

I understand you could care less, but if you don't think that attitude will not escalate those kind of reactions you are naive..where would it lead in the sport if it is glorified?
Guns, like in Russia... Russians love wrestling. Sometimes, I feel like we're asked to take our love and passion out of the sport.

Dudes put their absolute everything into this sport, and we expect them to just take a controversial loss and hug the guy afterwards. Screw a hug... you just beat me.

Reactions: dunkej01
Guns, like in Russia... Russians love wrestling. Sometimes, I feel like we're asked to take our love and passion out of the sport.

Dudes put their absolute everything into this sport, and we expect them to just take a controversial loss and hug the guy afterwards. Screw a hug... you just beat me.
lol, I actually agree with you on that...emotion is awesome, celebrating is awesome, getting upset when you have a right to is totally understandable..I just would be careful not to escalate it to acts that are disrespectful and violent. I think your thing about being ok with bad sportmanship "I'm just a fan of bad sportsmanship" took me to a place I am thinking you did not really mean

Who's the toughest guy you've ever wrestled?
With 0 hesitation Zain's answer is Nick Suriano .... pound for pound the toughest no doubt about it.

It's windy and difficult to hear on my phone, but that's the gist of it.
Yes. Zain without a doubt said Nick S. is the STRONEST guy he has ever wrestled pound for pound....WOW NICK S. is a FREAKIN BEAST....That is something when Zain says that without any hesitation...WOW.

Wow, this thread has a little bit of everything.

As to the wresting this weekend, imo it was tremendous. I think I managed to see almost all of the past, present, and future Penn Stater's matches...and the storylines for them and others was intriguing...
- JO's drug issue and Frank moving up
- Zain vs Frank
- 2 Nebraska guys as top seeds in front of a home crowd
- Ramos vs Gilman
- Burroughs vs Dake
- DT vs Cox
Overall, it exceeded expectations for the wrestling fan in me. Wasn't without controversy, and emotion, but as a whole, thoroughly enjoyed it.

As to this thread, reading all 13 pages is like going on a roller coaster...

My wife happens to be a "Jap" so what Gilman said offends me, but I'm also not a snowflake and to be honest I'm not surprised by who said it. It's par for the course for Gilman. There is a reason people from other fans bases (not just PSU fans) are happy when he loses. It's not an Iowa thing, it's a Gilman thing for me. I was happy to see Clark win this year and I like how Sorensen and Kem go about things so I don't have any particular bias against Iowa. Higuchi deserves more respect than that and I hope if a PSU wrestler spoke like that we would all cringe a little bit and not approve or justify it.

I think you meant Ruskies..........or not.

I agree but why do you think he threw it away in public? Correct me if I am wrong but didn't a local reporter see him do it and fish it out of the garbage?
I thought he did it in the tunnel. I don't believe he made a spectacle out of it. Simply tossed it in the trash

I thought he did it in the tunnel. I don't believe he made a spectacle out of it. Simply tossed it in the trash
Tossed what in the trash ? I missed that...Holly crap he is very tough to root for,,,I will root for him anyway if he wins the spot in 2020 but it's very tough....

Pretty sure he was walking away and just threw it away. Should he have waited and did it in some private back room? That's just dumb.

He didn't want it anymore and a reporter went digging through the trash to find it. Oh well, I supported him there just as I support DT here.

Was his medal , he can do what he wants with it. Like Ricky Bobby said "If you ain't first your last"

My wife happens to be a "Jap" so what Gilman said offends me, but I'm also not a snowflake and to be honest I'm not surprised by who said it. It's par for the course for Gilman. There is a reason people from other fans bases (not just PSU fans) are happy when he loses. It's not an Iowa thing, it's a Gilman thing for me. I was happy to see Clark win this year and I like how Sorensen and Kem go about things so I don't have any particular bias against Iowa. Higuchi deserves more respect than that and I hope if a PSU wrestler spoke like that we would all cringe a little bit and not approve or justify it.
Your wife sounds hot ;):rolleyes:

Reactions: hlstone

Crop your posts always give me a good chuckle :D

I heard Taylor's practices are getting moved to the hockey rink to get a more realistic feel to prepare him better for next years trials. Sure stinks there was never a break in the action in the 3rd match to do quickly wipe the mats down.

In the Tunnel is definitely better than a public spectacle, I just wish he would have done that in private because then it does not become a story line. He was one hell of a wrestler and I always loved watching him (felt bad for his injury senior season) look at how he never used the injuries his senior season as an excuse(even when it was obvious there was something really wrong with him physically), he was obviously a classy guy....just wish he handled the medal thing differently.

MANY people out there do not know that Jap is offensive to some, nor do they know that Oriental is a bad word either. Just because you know that it is a bad word doesn't mean that the next man over knows, especially a 21 year old. I don't think we need to approve/disapprove or justify/criticize. Only educate.

MANY people out there do not know that Jap is offensive to some, nor do they know that Oriental is a bad word either. Just because you know that it is a bad word doesn't mean that the next man over knows, especially a 21 year old. I don't think we need to approve/disapprove or justify/criticize. Only educate.
I think this position is down the middle. It appears to be more youthful inexperience, though only Gilman knows for sure. If it's repeated, the young man has a problem.

Worse are the "adults" that have condoned the slur. Not many, thank goodness, and it was refreshing to see some of the posts on HR.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT