ADVERTISEMENT

SEC Title Game Thread

Why? Because they beat Alabama 3 months ago?
Because they beat Oklahoma State who lost to UCF by42 today?
What specifically makes Texas more deserving than Georgia?
It's not just Texas vs. Bama--you have to rank every team before you bring in H2H between Bama and Texas.
Simple Georgia lost to Bama on neutral field. Texas beat Bama at Bama. The rest doesn’t matter. They have same record so compare the like opponent. Again in a normal year maybe both get in. There is just too many in mix and Georgia played weakest schedule

Reactions: lazydave841
You don't think they're considering Georgia?

Not seriously, no. The SEC isn’t getting two unless Michigan and fsu lose. And they’re not putting UGA in over Bama. All 4 teams are going to be p5 conference champs if things go to script in these final 2 games.

At this point UGA has a better chance of matching up with Liberty than making the playoff.

Because they were 8--7 spots behind them--and it's not all about H2H
I don't think Texas was better than Ohio State this year
Why do the MAC and CUSA and MWC conference play? The ACC isn't significantly better. It's definitely not on the level of the Big Ten or SEC. I can absolutely pick both as we've seen conference gets two in the past. Big Ten last year.

When talking about 1 loss teams, h2h is definitely a big decider. Texas beat Bama, Bama beat UGA. That's important.

They probably should be in their own division away from P5.

The ACC is significantly better than those conferences AND is significantly behind the SEC and Big 10.

You can pick whoever you want. So can I. AND everyone else here.

Imagine if Bama had stuck to the Michigan ooc scheduling theory. That would have been 1 vs 3. Texas, without the Bama win, probably vying for 8/9. Although this destroys your "scheduling tough ooc games" schtik doesn't it?

Simple Georgia lost to Bama on neutral field. Texas beat Bama at Bama. The rest doesn’t matter. They have same record so compare the like opponent. Again in a normal year maybe both get in. There is just too many in mix and Georgia played weakest schedule
How does the rest not matter. Same record doesn't make you comparable. Is Liberty in?
Ohio beat Iowa State who beat Oklahoma State who beat Oklahoma who beat Texas. Does that mean Ohio beats Texas? Even simpler, did it mean OK State beat Texas today? No so it means nothing about Georgia vs Texas

Not seriously, no. The SEC isn’t getting two unless Michigan and fsu lose. And they’re not putting UGA in over Bama. All 4 teams are going to be p5 conference champs if things go to script in these final 2 games.

At this point UGA has a better chance of matching up with Liberty than making the playoff.
They had Georgia at 1 even after Michigan beat Ohio State but they lose for the first time in 30 games and now they're not going to consider them? If true they all need fired.

When talking about 1 loss teams, h2h is definitely a big decider. Texas beat Bama, Bama beat UGA. That's important.

They probably should be in their own division away from P5.

The ACC is significantly better than those conferences AND is significantly behind the SEC and Big 10.

You can pick whoever you want. So can I. AND everyone else here.

Imagine if Bama had stuck to the Michigan ooc scheduling theory. That would have been 1 vs 3. Texas, without the Bama win, probably vying for 8/9. Although this destroys your "scheduling tough ooc games" schtik doesn't it?
Texas beating Bama and Bama beating Georgia has nothing to do with Texas vs Georgia. See Oklahoma Texas Oklahoma State. It's illogical.
The ACC is awful. Just awful. See Pitt.
It doesn't destroy the argument as the playoff expands it will have more meaning. In fact, if Georgia gets left out it supports my argument.

This entire argument is what's wrong with college football. At no time should a 1 loss team (or potentially an undefeated team in FSU) be left out. I'd argue a 2 loss team should never be left out. That's going to change and hopefully everyone learns to appreciate that. Today would have been so much more meaningful to us if the 12 team playoff started this year.

They had Georgia at 1 even after Michigan beat Ohio State but they lose for the first time in 30 games and now they're not going to consider them? If true they all need fired.
Also go take a look at Georgias schedule and tell me how many teams could have gone 12-0 with that schedule. I know three in just the big ten alone.

Texas beating Bama and Bama beating Georgia has nothing to do with Texas vs Georgia. See Oklahoma Texas Oklahoma State. It's illogical.
The ACC is awful. Just awful. See Pitt.
It doesn't destroy the argument as the playoff expands it will have more meaning. In fact, if Georgia gets left out it supports my argument.

Oklahoma and Oklahoma State aren't also 1 loss teams. Do you not get that?

Then why are you arguing FOR Georgia? It's like speaking out of both sides. Georgia is great but ooc scheduling matters?

Oklahoma and Oklahoma State aren't also 1 loss teams. Do you not get that?

Then why are you arguing FOR Georgia? It's like speaking out of both sides. Georgia is great but ooc scheduling matters?
I get that. Do you get the insanity of thinking Texas beating Bama in Sept is relevant to Bama beating Georgia in December when comparing Georgia and Texas? The question is...who are the beat 4 teams. Not most deserving.

I'm critical of Georgia's non conference schedule but with a 4 team playoff they're clearly one of the beat 4. Just like we should have been in with 2 losses over Washington with 1 loss in 2016

Ya we would be favorite in both those games.
Does the favorite always win?
I think we'd have a great chance to beat both...especially Ole Miss...but its not a lock. The rest of the SEC is also better than the rest of the Big Ten if we're being honest. But those are the best two conferences

We'd easily be 12-0 if FSU's schedule.

I get that. Do you get the insanity of thinking Texas beating Bama in Sept is relevant to Bama beating Georgia in December when comparing Georgia and Texas? The question is...who are the beat 4 teams. Not most deserving.

I'm critical of Georgia's non conference schedule but with a 4 team playoff they're clearly one of the beat 4. Just like we should have been in with 2 losses over Washington with 1 loss in 2016

If that game is irrelevant because it was played in September then ooc scheduling is an irrelevant talking point EVER.

I don't call a team losing in December one of the 4 best teams.

As much as the system stinks, it at least makes for debate.

If that game is irrelevant because it was played in September then ooc scheduling is an irrelevant talking point EVER.

I don't call a team losing in December one of the 4 best teams.

As much as the system stinks, it at least makes for debate.
It's not irrelevant. It's just not everything as people keep claiming it is. The only argument anyone has for Texas is they beat Bama. That's not enough.

I don't understand how you watched the game today after watching the game last night and didn't think the two SEC teams were better than the two Pac XII teams but to each their own. Up to the committee. We'll see how big their balls are.

Right now it’s
1. Michigan
2. Washington
3. Florida State
4. Texas
5. Alabama
6. Georgia
7. Ohio State

Georgia is toast! Alabama needs FSU to lose.
So how does Texas jump 3 spots for beating OK State? While Bama jumps 3 for besting Georgia and Georgia somehow falls 5 spots for losing by 3.

Meanwhile, on a separate note, even when Bama was up 7 and 10 and even down to 3 late in the game...they were calling aggressively, letting Milroe throw on 1st and 3rd downs, rather than simple handoffs to drain the clock. They were calling the game to win, and not hoping to hold on. Washington did the same thing. I really hope JF takes notes (and this isn't to firestart on here and get the masses going). But, beyond having talented players, these are playoff teams because they coach like it...the coaching staff plays to win and take the game, rather than hoping it is handed to them.

So tell me this is Georgia even more deserving then Ohio state based on this year?
It's not deserving. Maybe that's why these fights continue. The goal is the best 4 not most deserving 4. Most deserving I wouldn't include Georgia but that's never the discussion

Right now it’s
1. Michigan
2. Washington
3. Florida State
4. Texas
5. Alabama
6. Georgia
7. Ohio State

Georgia is toast! Alabama needs FSU to lose.
The committee isn’t leaving out an SEC team. Just not happening IMO.

Right now it’s all on FSU. Win and they are likely in as team 4 with Texas at 5. Lose and Texas is in.

It's not irrelevant. It's just not everything as people keep claiming it is. The only argument anyone has for Texas is they beat Bama. That's not enough.

I don't understand how you watched the game today after watching the game last night and didn't think the two SEC teams were better than the two Pac XII teams but to each their own. Up to the committee. We'll see how big their balls are.

Texas is 12-1. High powered offense. Defense has played well. Lost to their rival on the last play of the game. Beating Bama at Bama is just the high note. I didn't think I had to lay out their entire case.

I didn't watch the game tonight and think the SEC teams were better than the PAC. UGA lived all year off the 2 previous titles. They don't stop the run nowhere near as well as they have in years prior and I think the PAC teams have better QBs/WRs than Bama and both can run the ball.

Now I don't think that means a hill of beans when you give Kirby or Saban 30 days to prepare.

Based on what?
"The eye test" or reality--which ever word you prefer
Are you watching FSU-Louisville right now? You're telling me FSU is a playoff team and Georgia and/or Bama isn't?
Remember regardless of what you want the committee to do it's all about "eye test" and the best four teams not deserving.

Texas is 12-1. High powered offense. Defense has played well. Lost to their rival on the last play of the game. Beating Bama at Bama is just the high note. I didn't think I had to lay out their entire case.

I didn't watch the game tonight and think the SEC teams were better than the PAC. UGA lived all year off the 2 previous titles. They don't stop the run nowhere near as well as they have in years prior and I think the PAC teams have better QBs/WRs than Bama and both can run the ball.

Now I don't think that means a hill of beans when you give Kirby or Saban 30 days to prepare.
I'm fine with any "valid" argument for Texas over Bama but people literally keep saying "Texas beat Bama nothing else matters they have to be in" and that's not true.

If you think Texas is the better team I'm fine with that but it can't just be "they beat Bama in September"

I think Georgia's still the second best team in the country--maybe the best. But the committee gets to decide. Thankfully next year all these teams and Penn State would be in.

Reactions: BucksLion52
"The eye test" or reality--which ever word you prefer
Are you watching FSU-Louisville right now? You're telling me FSU is a playoff team and Georgia and/or Bama isn't?
Remember regardless of what you want the committee to do it's all about "eye test" and the best four teams not deserving.
Ohio state and Georgia are identical. Georgias schedule was crap.

Ohio state and Georgia are identical. Georgias schedule was crap.
Okay--let's say they're identical--who do you pick and why? You have to rank one higher than the other
Georgia has an extra win if you're desperate and don't want to use eye test.

The committee isn’t leaving out an SEC team. Just not happening IMO.

Right now it’s all on FSU. Win and they are likely in as team 4 with Texas at 5. Lose and Texas is in.

The committee isn’t leaving out a 12-1 p5 conference champ in favor of another p5 conference champ they have the h2h win over.

Reactions: doctornick
You sure we beat Mizzou and Ole Miss. I'm not.
If everyone plays and nobody sits out PSU beats Ole Miss, LOUISVILLE, Missou and FSU
next week . Hand down....
Washington , Michigan, Georgia and Alabama are the best teams.Texas is close but the defense is shaky.
I saw UGA in Athens earlier in October and was extremely impressed with their QB but it was against UAB.
If I was PSU I'd be more concerned about Oregon in a bowl game.
with no SEC team in the final 4 I'll take Washington

If everyone plays and nobody sits out PSU beats Ole Miss, LOUISVILLE, Missou and FSU
next week . Hand down....
Washington , Michigan, Georgia and Alabama are the best teams.Texas is close but the defense is shaky.
I saw UGA in Athens earlier in October and was extremely impressed with their QB but it was against UAB.
If I was PSU I'd be more concerned about Oregon in a bowl game.
with no SEC team in the final 4 I'll take Washington
I agree about 3 of them--not Mizzou--I think that's a toss-up game.
And I agree about the best teams

I was very impressed with Missou and their RB. Were going to look back at this years D and wish we had an offense to match.
PSU vs Liberty? I hope not
The longer I watch FSU/Louisville the more I get pissed off at our lack of offense.
Did I mention I hate Michigan.....

They are not clearly one of the four best. The four best could easily be Mich, Wash, Bama, Texas. The one argument you keep making for UGA is not a slam dunk. With UGA losing today their argument of being the 4 best is questionable. Add the fact they don't deserve it vs other teams and they're OUT!!

They are not clearly one of the four best. The four best could easily be Mich, Wash, Bama, Texas. The one argument you keep making for UGA is not a slam dunk. With UGA losing today their argument of being the 4 best is questionable. Add the fact they don't deserve it vs other teams and they're OUT!!
I don't think it's debatable at all. They're better than Washington and Texas.
You're talking about deserving again which isn't relevant.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT