ADVERTISEMENT

SEC Title Game Thread

Florida State's best win after this game will be LSU which was week 1
That's really good enough to earn a playoff spot?
Georgia at least has two top 11 wins, as does Washington, as does Michigan and as does Alabama. Those are the 4 teams that should be in. Quality wins matters.
But you really want Ohio State in over Washington, right? C'mon admit it. Those are your 4 teams. They are the best 4, right?

The least controversial thing to do is take Texas and FSU.

Leave out FSU and you are putting too much stock in “the eye test” and ignoring the years of precedent that fewest losses has been the primary criteria for entry. It also creates the argument that “what else could FSU do?” - you are going to exclude a team that doesn’t have any blemishes? Do they really to go with a situation where a player gets hurt and thus you diminish the team’s accomplishments?

Leaving out Texas just totally ignores head to head results and argues for a disincentive to playing high caliber non conference games if you aren’t going to give any credit there.

Leaving out Bama leads to an argument of… what exactly? That you shouldn’t leave out the SEC? Is that like some fundamental criteria of the CFP we should be observing?

I hear ya. I just don’t know if the committee has the backbone to ice out the SEC who have won 13 of the last 17 titles.

I agree with your logic. I’m just not confident that the committee will actually do it.

Leave out FSU and you are putting too much stock in “the eye test” and ignoring the years of precedent that fewest losses has been the primary criteria for entry. It also creates the argument that “what else could FSU do?” - you are going to exclude a team that doesn’t have any blemishes? Do they really to go with a situation where a player gets hurt and thus you diminish the team’s accomplishments?

Leaving out Texas just totally ignores head to head results and argues for a disincentive to playing high caliber non conference games if you aren’t going to give any credit there.

Leaving out Bama leads to an argument of… what exactly? That you shouldn’t leave out the SEC? Is that like some fundamental criteria of the CFP we should be observing?
Lando would cry so you can't leave out the SEC. Also get Ohio State in there. Why? Well Lando says they are good and one of the 4 best so put them in. Game results don't matter.

I hear ya. I just don’t know if the committee has the backbone to ice out the SEC who have won 13 of the last 17 titles.

I agree with your logic. I’m just not confident that the committee will actually do it.

Only reason they might is because the two other schools involved are blue bloods. If you swapped fsu and Texas with Wake Forest and Kansas and played this out it wouldn’t even be a real debate.

Reactions: psu00
Only reason they might is because the two other schools involved are blue bloods. If you swapped fsu and Texas with Wake Forest and Kansas and played this out it wouldn’t even be a real debate.
True. I’d have no problem if they left Bama out. My only argument was I don’t think it’s so clear cut obvious that they will given past decision making.

It will be very interesting tomorrow if the SEC is left out. The whining and outrage from the South will be epic. They may actually all secede again. ;)

I agree with your logic. I’m just not confident that the committee will actually do it.weak
The SEC is 7 and 9 against non conference power five opponents this year! They are the weak conference... the ESPN BSers need silenced by fact and reason. Let's see if the committee has integrity FOR THE FIRST TIME IN THEIR HISTORY.

We’ve got a guy here who is.

NFL teams play unbalanced schedules and h2h still decides tiebreakers.

You’re being asinine implying 12-1 big 12 champ with a victory over the sec champ isn’t a comparable team to 12-1 sec champ with a loss to the big 12 champ. If they’re not comparable teams then they’re not comparable in the opposite direction you’re arguing for.
Again you're going with deserving not best. The job isn't deserving

Lando would cry so you can't leave out the SEC. Also get Ohio State in there. Why? Well Lando says they are good and one of the 4 best so put them in. Game results don't matter.
Game results do matter. We're not talking about 2 loss teams here

No one is saying the committee ignores it.

They are saying that the committee always talks about the “body of work”. That win over Bama clearly comes into play but so does the fact that it was in week 2 and we are now in week 14 where Bama just beat the 2 time defending champion Georgia on a 29 (?) game win streak in Atlanta. They are going to look at everything, not just 1 game 3 months ago.

The real issue here is FSU. Does an undefeated team get left out? If they do, Bama and Texas are in. If they say an undefeated P5 can’t be left out then the debate rages.
So they can ignore a game in week 2 but not a game in week 13? The mental gymnastics it takes to justify changing the rules every year to make sure the SEC teams get in is tiring. This is why as long as there are “at large” bids determined by opinion it will never be a true playoff system.

If that’s going to be the committee’s reasoning, then they need to leave Washington out since historically the PAC 12 is the conference that’s been left out.

And, once again, the committee uses the eye test, body of work subjectivity to upend precedent. Undefeated conference champion Florida State is left out.

And, once again, the committee uses the eye test, body of work subjectivity to upend precedent. Undefeated conference champion Florida State is left out.
The hypocrisy is frightening and the worst of all of them is Kirk. We know injuries changing a team wasn’t coming out of his mouth in 2014.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT