ADVERTISEMENT

Schnyderite Interview With Jay

bdgan

May 29, 2008
I watched the clip and Jay sounded very reasonable. He didn't say how much each player gets from the SWH collective but he said that the administration gave Shrews everything he asked for. His position was that Shrews left because he wanted to go back home to Indiana, not because of NIL. That's interesting because Short said that NIL was the reason.

Jay also said that PSU football is right in the middle of the pack wrt NIL money from the collective, not way behind as some claim. He said the big money goes to a few limited players who use agents. He said Allar has 2 agents in California who should be able to get him a great deal if he does well this fall.

He talked about voting against certain projects like the Art Museum and $14 million for an express elevator to the suites. He said he'd rather spend the money on things like bathrooms for fans.

It would be interesting to see interviews from people who see things differently.

I watched the clip and Jay sounded very reasonable. He didn't say how much each player gets from the SWH collective but he said that the administration gave Shrews everything he asked for. His position was that Shrews left because he wanted to go back home to Indiana, not because of NIL. That's interesting because Short said that NIL was the reason.

Jay also said that PSU football is right in the middle of the pack wrt NIL money from the collective, not way behind as some claim. He said the big money goes to a few limited players who use agents. He said Allar has 2 agents in California who should be able to get him a great deal if he does well this fall.

He talked about voting against certain projects like the Art Museum and $14 million for an express elevator to the suites. He said he'd rather spend the money on things like bathrooms for fans.

It would be interesting to see interviews from people who see things differently.
Thanks. Not sure where I stand on the NIL issue or Jay's seat on the BOT. But one of the things that concerns me is how one sided the discussion has been here. I'm seeing a lot of character assassination, a lot of "win at all cost" bluster, but very little actual discussion on the merits.

Interesting to hear his point of view.

I’d have to agree that Short was overselling NIL as the reason Shrews went to ND given that ND is not all on board with NIL either.

Mike Brey said there were issues dealing with NIL at ND that were a factor in him deciding to step down. Something about trying to navigate NIL at ND while having it fit into the ‘university’s mission’ type of thing. We all know the ND prez and AD put out that op Ed saying NIL needs better regulation/ control for which they got a lot of heat nationally.

From what I’ve read, including Shrews statement when joining ND, the main impetus for leaving seems to be to head back home to Indiana where basketball ‘means more’ than any specific NIL issues.

I agree. It was worth my time to listen. I thought he gave very good explanations on why he voted the way he did on the construction projects.

I would argue that middle of the pack on NIL IS WAY BEHIND for PSU. We won't compete with Ohio State or Michigan if middle of the pack on NIL.

Middle of the pack for our program is WAY behind. We should be at the front.

Middle of the pack for our program is WAY behind. We should be at the front.
Then go ahead and donate your entire salary every year. Ask Franklin to donate his salary. Ask Mike Mauti to donate every penny he made in the NFL. Same with Brandon Short. NIL is built on businesses and donations. Jay gets that. Most people don't. Personally, I will not donate a penny and will discourage anyone from doing the same while boycotting any business that supports players via NIL.

Thanks. Not sure where I stand on the NIL issue or Jay's seat on the BOT. But one of the things that concerns me is how one sided the discussion has been here. I'm seeing a lot of character assassination, a lot of "win at all cost" bluster, but very little actual discussion on the merits.
Didn’t hear the interview. I’m as old school
as it gets, but like it or not NIL is here to stay. So if we want to play with the big boys, you have to join the party. Just my 2 cents.

Then go ahead and donate your entire salary every year. Ask Franklin to donate his salary. Ask Mike Mauti to donate every penny he made in the NFL. Same with Brandon Short. NIL is built on businesses and donations. Jay gets that. Most people don't. Personally, I will not donate a penny and will discourage anyone from doing the same while boycotting any business that supports players via NIL.
Jay, like you, is stuck in the past. If you don't adapt you'll die as will Penn State football.

Jay, like you, is stuck in the past. If you don't adapt you'll die as will Penn State football.
If Penn State football dies by doing it the right way, it will be a good death. But, you are clearly detached from reality. Penn State has no real role in NIL. It isn't on me, Jay, the board or Penn State. It is on business owners and donors. If the various dirt peddlers doesn't have enough money, than we can't compete.

If Penn State football dies by doing it the right way, it will be a good death. But, you are clearly detached from reality. Penn State has no real role in NIL. It isn't on me, Jay, the board or Penn State. It is on business owners and donors. If the various dirt peddlers doesn't have enough money, than we can't compete.
There's no good death. College football is big business and the University desperately needs it. It is absolutely, in part, on Jay.

Reactions: CoastGuard2018
he thinks part of the answer is a non profit group that collects money and spreads it across all the athletes

this makes no sense on any level and it's not competitive

its like WalMart opens across the street from your store, and your answer is to start a co-op

Interesting to hear his point of view.

I’d have to agree that Short was overselling NIL as the reason Shrews went to ND given that ND is not all on board with NIL either.

Mike Brey said there were issues dealing with NIL at ND that were a factor in him deciding to step down. Something about trying to navigate NIL at ND while having it fit into the ‘university’s mission’ type of thing. We all know the ND prez and AD put out that op Ed saying NIL needs better regulation/ control for which they got a lot of heat nationally.

From what I’ve read, including Shrews statement when joining ND, the main impetus for leaving seems to be to head back home to Indiana where basketball ‘means more’ than any specific NIL issues.
He wanted to go home.. and frankly.. what is he going to say to the GO and Oenn State faithful ? “
Thanks for giving me my shot but now after just 2 seasons I have a better offer and I can go home ?” No. We are in a blame the other guy society.. NIL was the reason ! I’m calling 100% BS on Shrews.. he got a better offer..even if the money was the same if perhaps even less.. he was gone to Notre Dame. Why can’t some people just be frigging honest about things.. I really g hope our new Coach kicks ass and we see ND soon on the court., that will be a fun game to watch once we get some key players in..

He wanted to go home.. and frankly.. what is he going to say to the GO and Oenn State faithful ? “
Thanks for giving me my shot but now after just 2 seasons I have a better offer and I can go home ?” No. We are in a blame the other guy society.. NIL was the reason ! I’m calling 100% BS on Shrews.. he got a better offer..even if the money was the same if perhaps even less.. he was gone to Notre Dame. Why can’t some people just be frigging honest about things.. I really g hope our new Coach kicks ass and we see ND soon on the court., that will be a fun game to watch once we get some key players in..
I feel like the truth lies in whether Pickett got NIL and how much. If Pickett got decent amount of NIL then the reason Shrewsberry gave really doesn't make that much sense. It also does not make sense that ND interviewed him after our loss to Rutgers, which makes me think NIL was not really much of the reason but instead he has prior connections with the AD.

I mean how did that interview go? "We noticed that you just blew a 20 pt lead vs Rutgers and your season appears to be over. want the job?"

as it gets, but like it or not NIL is here to stay. So if we want to play with the big boys, you have to join the party. Just my 2 cents.
I didn’t listen either and I’m old school too. I have no issue with a kid making a buck off of his notoriety. However, there are moral hazards galore with this.

This country is a shell of what it was, largely because we’ve institutionalized what was once considered wrong.

I know PSU is going to do what it needs to do to compete. I’d just like some more assurance that people are going to act with integrity.

I didn’t listen either and I’m old school too. I have no issue with a kid making a buck off of his notoriety. However, there are moral hazards galore with this.

This country is a shell of what it was, largely because we’ve institutionalized what was once considered wrong.

I know PSU is going to do what it needs to do to compete. I’d just like some more assurance that people are going to act with integrity.
I fear the whole thing is making my interest in Penn State Football wane. Especially if we start seeing star players transfer (both in and out) after one big year just because they are seeking higher NIL deals. Even if PSU is able to poach from other schools as much as other schools are poaching off us, I will have trouble caring. I have too much other stuff in my life to worry about rather than who is the “good NIL collective” and who are the “bad NIL collectives” at PSU.

I thought John Ziegler was too extreme when he claimed NIL will kill college sports, but I am now beginning to think he may be right.

I fear the whole thing is making my interest in Penn State Football wane. Especially if we start seeing star players transfer (both in and out) after one big year just because they are seeking higher NIL deals. Even if PSU is able to poach from other schools as much as other schools are poaching off us, I will have trouble caring. I have too much other stuff in my life to worry about rather than who is the “good NIL collective” and who are the “bad NIL collectives” at PSU.

I thought John Ziegler was too extreme when he claimed NIL will kill college sports, but I am now beginning to think he may be right.
It won't. As long as Penn State wins few will care. Fans care about the jersey and the school more than the player. That's why when kids leave people immediately turn on them the large majority of the time. Even questioning their decision to turn pro early.

College football won't be what it is now in terms of format for long but that'snot necessarily a bad thing. We can pretend otherwise but college football has been a business first and foremost for the past 3-4 decades. The majority of the people that truly hate it aren't the target. I'm almost 50 and I'm not the target.

Yeah $156 for a single seat $50 to park in a cow pasture and $12 for a beer and now they want you to pony up and pay the players as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: RussianEagle
Yes but how do we do that?

I found Jay's interview very informative. Clearly a new stadium, while an interesting idea, is financially out of the question. They need to get ahead of the differed maintenance that few people notice or care about but becomes very costly if not not taken care of.

Work to make the game day experience better improving the seating, the food service, and yes add more bathrooms so that there is enough time to hit the head and purchase a hot dog at half time. The concessions could be a bigger money maker if managed correctly. Make it easier to get in and out of the parking areas so people from a distance aren't deterred from coming to the games. Double the overnight RV lots so that people can stay for the weekend who are coming from a distance.

His description of the NIL situation was helpful. Basically an information campaign needs to be instituted so that donors understand the process, where and how to donate, and give more money so that we can attract more talent. At Ohio State, they projected a need of $13 million per year to keep attracting top talent. The NIL wars have started and whether we like it or not that's what we have to work with. We all need to chip in; small donations add up augmenting the big donors contributions.

Its interesting hearing Jays PoV. He does bring interesting points. But I still go back to Mauti, Short, and even CJFs interview yesterday about how he said what happened about basketball and NIL. So it seems a larger representation are conflicting with Jays single point of view.

Its interesting hearing Jays PoV. He does bring interesting points. But I still go back to Mauti, Short, and even CJFs interview yesterday about how he said what happened about basketball and NIL. So it seems a larger representation are conflicting with Jays single point of view.
CJF? Really? When hasn't he complained about money and football? Franklin would much rather buy a team that build one. That is painfully obvious. And it isn't like Mauti is a non-biased voice in the matter.

i'm just not seeing where he is making any sense on the issue.

he opens by declaring himself to be a national consultant on the topic, but basically advocates for psu's model that most others see as broken and inadequate. he has some strange views of how this should work, but reality is not going to bend to his wishes

i'm just not seeing where he is making any sense on the issue.

he opens by declaring himself to be a national consultant on the topic, but basically advocates for psu's model that most others see as broken and inadequate. he has some strange views of how this should work, but reality is not going to bend to his wishes
Honestly, this reminds me of when Jay was the OC and he tried to spin Penn State's red zone success. Penn State was settling for field goals vs. touchdowns at an alarming clip. But Jay tried to characterize it as a success because Penn State was scoring points something like 80+% of the time. He seems to be spinning Penn State's NIL performance in the same way.

Reactions: ejb25
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT