ADVERTISEMENT

Sans wrestling and a few other sports, PSU is having a very poor athletic season.

bcspsu

Jun 2, 2001
If I were the AD Kraft, I’d be very disappointed with the performances of most of PSU’s teams in 2023-2024. There just has been so little success.

If I were the AD Kraft, I’d be very disappointed with the performances of most of PSU’s teams in 2023-2024. There just has been so little success.
Put the crack pipe down and stay away from the gun cabinet.

What did you expect in basketball this season?

We were number 9 in the country after the Fall season in the Learfield Cup standings.

I believe (if I remember hearing correctly) PK saying that his goal, is for all of our athletic programs to compete for championships. I love the mentality compared to our last AD. My take is that to mean....make the postseason in your respective sport...that allows u to play for a title. For our major sports, that is a truly rare thing lately, which is unfortunate.

Hard to judge this year as he hired Rhoades and Gambino to hopefully elevate basketball and baseball...the latter which has been an embarrassment since our last ncaa appearance more than 2 decades ago. Combine that with WBB, and the 'major' sports at psu have been extremely disappointing as a whole for many yrs. We have to give PK some yrs to see what he can do.

And yes, our Learfield is bolstered by wrestling and soccer, which are tremendous. But, let's face it, niche sports are just that. Our 'major' sports programs as an aggregate have been terribly inconsistent, and that is putting it mildly.

Let see...

Football made NY6 bowl
Men's Soccer Co-Big Ten Champions regular season and lost in finals of B1G tournament.
Women's Soccer Lost in NCAA elite 8
Women's Volleyball Lost NCAA Sweet 16
Wrestling ranked #1
Women's Hockey ranked #15 and won conference

You know how many athletic departments would kill for this kind of success?

Let see...

Football made NY6 bowl
Men's Soccer Co-Big Ten Champions regular season and lost in finals of B1G tournament.
Women's Soccer Lost in NCAA elite 8
Women's Volleyball Lost NCAA Sweet 16
Wrestling ranked #1
Women's Hockey ranked #15 and won conference

You know how many athletic departments would kill for this kind of success?
Ok and my post was about the 'major' mainstream sports, which unfortunately, move the needle and have the most eyes. Unless u have a family member or are an ex player that has skin in the game for women's hockey or men's soccer, nobody gives a crap about those sports. Athletic Directors are not judged on those, sorry to say.

Wrestling no doubt is legendary and WVB, is still a great program, but has slid quite a bit.

Football, basketball (men and women) and college baseball (including softball, which the WCWS has gotten huge) are massive sports. Our programs in those, collectively, from being consistent post-season teams with the chance to win it all, has been a flat out embarrassment.

Both men’s basketball and softball had their best seasons in years last year and baseball. Seems to have a more talented roster to do so this year. Women’s basketball has done better this year than previously they will be interesting to see how they go moving forward and the men’s team, even though the record is not great this year is doing well, considering what they were left with after last season ended.

Baseball and softball have never been considered championship level teams, and outside of Rene’s with the women’s team, neither have the basketball teams. I’d be willing to gauge that right now the trajectory is higher in those four sports than it’s been collectively at any time.

Ok and my post was about the 'major' mainstream sports, which unfortunately, move the needle and have the most eyes. Unless u have a family member or are an ex player that has skin in the game for women's hockey or men's soccer, nobody gives a crap about those sports. Athletic Directors are not judged on those, sorry to say.

Wrestling no doubt is legendary and WVB, is still a great program, but has slid quite a bit.

Football, basketball (men and women) and college baseball (including softball, which the WCWS has gotten huge) are massive sports. Our programs in those, collectively, from being consistent post-season teams with the chance to win it all, has been a flat out embarrassment.
So in what year were our football team, men’s basketball team, women’s basketball team, and baseball team all been competing for a championship?

Reactions: PSU_Nut
So in what year were our football team, men’s basketball team, women’s basketball team, and baseball team all been competing for a championship?
VERY good question. Might have to go pretty far back, if it ever even happened.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT