ADVERTISEMENT

Salisbury's Alex Nicholas commits to Penn State

Welcome! We needed a Hwt simply for depth. If he mirrors our last non state champ hwt he'll be just fine.

But if he considers transferring to RU, Im going to crap a cruise liner. That joke may never get old with me, sorry in advance!

Welcome Alex, sounds like a great kid. Hopefully other Valley products like Sasso and Chlebove will follow. We've had some Lehigh County products, but not many for all the talent the area produces.

This one, as a Muhlenberg College alum, hurts. I love Penn State wrestling, but I would have loved seeing him wrestle at my alma mater in D3 as a starter more. I was just talking to Coach Lally yesterday at the Pinning Down Autism event at Muhlenberg about this (although he couldn't reveal who it was until the family announced it) and he was, obviously, very disappointed in losing Alex. On the other hand, when Penn State is your main competition for a recruit, you must be doing something right as a D3 coach and program. Good academics on this kid, btw.

must have used the money, they had set aside for Spencer....If you cant get him get the next best thing

Congratulations Alex!
Welcome to the Nittany Lions.

========

Another article...

Wrestling
Lonely at the top for Salisbury's Alex Nicholas

goodnicholasheader.jpg

Salisbury's Alex Nicholas is the No. 1 seed at 285 pounds in the District 11 Class AA wrestling tournament. (Jim Middlekauff | lehighvalleylive contributor)

By Brad Wilson |
For lehighvalleylive.com
February 26, 2016

“I wish all the wrestlers I have coached over the past 10 years were like Alex,” Snyder said.

http://highschoolsports.lehighvalle...nely-at-the-top-for-salisburys-alex-nicholas/

Reactions: tikk10
must have used the money, they had set aside for Spencer....If you cant get him get the next best thing
Or just saving up money for Seth Nevills, Michael Beard, Adam Busiello, etc, etc. you're going to need more than 2 weight classes to beat us.

Congratulations Alex!
Welcome to the Nittany Lions.

========

Another article...

Wrestling
Lonely at the top for Salisbury's Alex Nicholas

goodnicholasheader.jpg

Salisbury's Alex Nicholas is the No. 1 seed at 285 pounds in the District 11 Class AA wrestling tournament. (Jim Middlekauff | lehighvalleylive contributor)

By Brad Wilson |
For lehighvalleylive.com
February 26, 2016

“I wish all the wrestlers I have coached over the past 10 years were like Alex,” Snyder said.

http://highschoolsports.lehighvalle...nely-at-the-top-for-salisburys-alex-nicholas/

Great story/stories. The step up from almost any HS into the PSU room is steep but with it's going to be especially huge for Nicholas, given that his only teammate was 100+ lbs lighter than him. Kid's pretty self motivated to work that hard in an environment where he could have just coasted. And pretty great that Casey and the staff was able to spot him. Gotta love stories like this.

Or just saving up money for Seth Nevills, Michael Beard, Adam Busiello, etc, etc. you're going to need more than 2 weight classes to beat us.
Speaking of which ... and slightly off topic, because I seriously doubt he's coming our way, but word is Reenan will announce his pick this week.

One of these days I'm going to start a thread of "things I'd like to see posters say to the wrestlers' and parents' faces."

God, I hope not. Probably a preferred walk-on.
Probably book money -- every wrestler who gets even a dime helps buttress the team's APR. Especially important when the floodgates to Rutgers open.

Seriously, whatever he gets is none of my business.

Last I checked, until National signing day arrives , anything can happen ...
I agree. I don't think Lee is a done deal....Not putting Iowa down at all but with his style and attitude he fits into PSU perfectly. From a few people i have talked with Spencer is still thinking....I think he knows deep down....

I agree. I don't think Lee is a done deal....Not putting Iowa down at all but with his style and attitude he fits into PSU perfectly. From a few people i have talked with Spencer is still thinking....I think he knows deep down....
That would be one heck of a surprise. But anything can happen. Take for example Marsteller's commitment to Penn State

Insert "river in Egypt" punchline here.

So why did he write the detailed letter on his experience and reasons for committing? I would think somebody that's still thinking and 'knows deep down', wouldn't do that.

So why did he write the detailed letter on his experience and reasons for committing? I would think somebody that's still thinking and 'knows deep down', wouldn't do that.
I'd have to agree. I think a lot of that is wishful thinking. I'd be shocked if Spencer ends up anywhere other than Iowa.

Insert "river in Egypt" punchline here.
Lol...Well El Cael needs to put a full court press on Dalton Fix then...He has beaten Spencer in the past. I would love to know if Cael is going after him now. We can give him everything Spencer would have got which we all know is A LOT....Anyone know if Cael is going after him ?IMO he would be just as good a get as Spencer or better. From what i have been reading he is open to leave Oklahoma !!!! WOW just thinking about that would be freakin awesome....

Lol...Well El Cael needs to put a full court press on Dalton Fix then...He has beaten Spencer in the past. I would love to know if Cael is going after him now. We can give him everything Spencer would have got which we all know is A LOT....Anyone know if Cael is going after him ?IMO he would be just as good a get as Spencer or better. From what i have been reading he is open to leave Oklahoma !!!! WOW just thinking about that would be freakin awesome....
You do realize Fix's dad was Smith's teammate at Okie State, right? Never say never, but this one is highly unlikely. Also, Fix will probably never face Lee in college -- Lee looks like a career 125, and Fix will never see that weight in college, even in Stilly.

In any case, love the enthusiasm, but let me try to alter the mindset a little. Cael doesn't have to get any specific wrestler. He is not trying to find some guy who can beat (opponent's name). Those coaches don't win multiple national titles and typically become ex-coaches quickly.

Here is Cael's approach: http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/07/wrestling_recruiting_an_inexac.html
Sanderson said he doesn't recruit a "ton of kids.'' His staff zeroes in on a few targets and goes after them -- hard.

"With the limited scholarships we have, it's two, three, four, five, six kids at the most,'' he said. Not that we can sign six kids on scholarship but you try to figure out which ones you want out of six and maybe you try to sign two.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
You do realize Fix's dad was Smith's teammate at Okie State, right? Never say never, but this one is highly unlikely. Also, Fix will probably never face Lee in college -- Lee looks like a career 125, and Fix will never see that weight in college, even in Stilly.

In any case, love the enthusiasm, but let me try to alter the mindset a little. Cael doesn't have to get any specific wrestler. He is not trying to find some guy who can beat (opponent's name). Those coaches don't win multiple national titles and typically become ex-coaches quickly.

Here is Cael's approach: http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/07/wrestling_recruiting_an_inexac.html
Spyker's penchant for flitting back and forth between this hot prospect and that hot prospect reminds me of a cat chasing a flashlight beam

I think at times you get to* pumped up or excited over these recruits. It's almost as if your mind pencils them into our lineup but when they decide to go elsewhere it's devastating to you. If Fix doesn't go to PSU, please try to do your best and not become so bitter like you were over Lee and Teasdale. Try to pencil into your mind that Cael's got this sh!t covered!

Reactions: LHavenlion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT