ADVERTISEMENT

Sad day in NoVa

We had to put our golden down 3 years go this past christmas. Just last night the wife and I were talking about him because we had popcorn watching the NW match. Popcorn was the Captain's favorite people food. He would sit still for minutes waiting for it. If he was particularly hungry he would drool.

#tears
#mansbestestfriend
#somedogsarebetterthanpeople

We had to put our golden down 3 years go this past christmas. Just last night the wife and I were talking about him because we had popcorn watching the NW match. Popcorn was the Captain's favorite people food. He would sit still for minutes waiting for it. If he was particularly hungry he would drool.

#tears
#mansbestestfriend
#somedogsarebetterthanpeople

Captain was with my wife and I at PSU for all 4 years. We even had to pick him up at the police station once. As one of my pledges at the time tried to pick up a girl with him, which led to him getting loose and running away from the kid. he was a chick magnet.

#thestoryhecouldtell

Aardvark86... Real sorry to hear about your Dog. Never a good day when your Dog passes. It's brutal. I found getting a puppy always helps...

Since were telling sad animal stories, here’s mine. Had English Bulldog 10 yrs, died in his sleep, crushing but 10 yrs is a good run for a bulldog. We wait 2 yrs, time to get a new English Bulldog Pup. The wife follows the mother all thru pregnancy, we get the pup at 2 mths old. 5 mths later we take him to get neutered, and he never wakes up from the anasthesia.

#RIPGUS

Since were telling sad animal stories, here’s mine. Had English Bulldog 10 yrs, died in his sleep, crushing but 10 yrs is a good run for a bulldog. We wait 2 yrs, time to get a new English Bulldog Pup. The wife follows the mother all thru pregnancy, we get the pup at 2 mths old. 5 mths later we take him to get neutered, and he never wakes up from the anasthesia.

#RIPGUS
Really tough sometimes...Had a 16 year old mutt (We rescue mutts) that passed. We go to deep West Virginia near Ohio/Kentucky line to a shelter to rescue another mutt. Great dog...9 days later he starts taking seizures so we have vet visits. Go through the tests and meanwhile give fenarbarbotol hoping it is epilepsy. Good for a few days and then has seizures right through the meds...take him back only to find out tests revealed distemper. 23 days and $4,000 before we had to put him down. We love our mutts but that was tough. Probably the best 23 days the dog had so we never regretted our path. Have mutts 13, 12 and 5 right now.

Indeed but you’ll know when it’s for the best.
for them not you. my Vinnie is 14 and his brother was put down last year. i held him while the vet did the deed. my wife said she was looking at him in the eyes and i felt the passing. we couldn't look at each other for awhile. it took 10 minutes until i felt it was safe to drive home. vinnie understood what we had wrapped up and how his life would be changed. i pray he goes in his sleep. for our sake

Last edited:
Staring down the inevitability of the same situation here with our lab of 14 years. Not easy.

13 for my lab now, she is starting to have troubles getting up the steps.

I heard about a local vet that will not allow parents to be with their pets, I would never go there. She is part of my family and I would never consider her leaving without her loving family around her.

Sorry to read all the stories. The only bad part about a dog is not being able to keep them forever!

Today I had to put down my loyal buddy and friend of 14 years, a golden retriever that was as good a companion as you could ever have. Today was the only bad day he ever gave us. Well done boy.
My best buddy has been gone three years now. I think of him every day and miss him dearly. I know your pain right now. I live in NoVa too, Maybe someday we'll encounter each other walking another couple of great dogs.

We have a 12 year old yellow lab and we can't imagine life without her. When the kids are home everyone gets a seat in the LR, dog on the coach....i get the floor

So sorry for everyone on here who has lost a dog recently

Last edited:
So sorry aardvark! They are such a big part of our lives. I like to think the sadness we feel is a testament to our having things in the right place.

I had to say goodbye to my 18 year old F2 Bengal cat Ginger Thursday morning. I was a mess. An F2 is the grandchild of an Asian Leopard Cat, so I feel privileged that a gorgeous, near-wild kitty would be willing to share her life with me.

two labs passed... both 15+, the last choco was an unbelievable athlete. Had to get a Boykin to fill the void... couldn't replace... but the damn Boykin is really cool.

Had a Black Lab, riddled with cancer, smartest dog ever... He knew what was going down outside the vet's, put the brakes on. Had to literally drag him up the sidewalk into the building. Heard him yelping in the other room when they put the port in, looked at me with those eyes when they brought him out to my wife and I, and all I could say was my lame-ass "You catch those chickens..." goodbye. Never again...

My wife loves animals more than people..we rescue dogs, cats, and horses.. Enjoy their gifts. They make us better humans.
not a popular opinion.....but many dogs/pets/animals are better than humans

maybe just maybe because they keep their opinions to themselves......

not a popular opinion.....but many dogs/pets/animals are better than humans

maybe just maybe because they keep their opinions to themselves......
Mine typically is never shy sharing an opinion.
Come on dad, it is great fun to go for a walk when its snowing.
I would like what you are having.
That darn cat was misbehaving, so I chased her up into the drapes.
I didn't like the way you had the garbage in the can, so I got it out thinking we could rearrange it.

We lost our boxer the Monday before Christmas. She was a rescue, we didn't even have her two years. But she surely was one of the happiest, best dogs I ever knew. We are still having a lot of sad moments...and yes, her tongue was ALWAYS like that! She had somehow had a broken jaw before she joined us:)

My wife loves animals more than people..we rescue dogs, cats, and horses.. Enjoy their gifts. They make us better humans.

Totally with you on that line of thinking...my wife very much the same!

Reactions: VRE
Sorry to hear, Aardvark. We have a Springer Lab mix, and he's a treasured part of my family. I get teary eyed just thinking about "that day".

Reactions: Aardvark86
Worst and best thread ever.

We're first-time dog owners, and hopefully have several years left with her. When that day comes, I will be reduced to a quivering pile of jelly, and my wife will be catatonic. For months. My condolences to those who are dealing and have dealt with this.

My wife is the boss, Daisy is the queen. Small dog, huge personality. Every day is a blast. I wish it could last forever. At least it will for her.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT