ADVERTISEMENT

Ryder Cup

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
IMHO, one of the best sporting events there is. Euros have dominated for the last several events until the last one. The US obliterated the Euros in the USA at Whistling Straits (one of the coolest courses I've ever seen) at the last event. Euros, with a very solid team, are motivated. At the same time, the US team includes some controversial picks. Justin Thomas had an awful year, for him, but was still picked because he is one of the most popular and, historically, successful Ryder Cup players who was eligible.

This year it is in Europe, Rome. The Euros did a lot of mathematical analysis and mapped out the golf course according to the Euro team's strengths. For example, the US team are longer hitters but tend to be a little off-center with their drives. So the Euros closed down the width of the fairway and roped off the spectators a lot further back so shots in the rough don't land in tramped down grass but fluffy rough. They also saw that the US team, for some reason, was really good at approach shots in the 125-yard range. So they tricked up that range and will force players into less than 100 or more than 140 for approach shots.

There is also a ton of analytics going into pairing, trying to get complimentary players. Both in terms of skill sets and mentality. Really solid players on both sides and maybe the best set of players ever.

Tomorrow's matchups.

Wow, did USA suck in this first session. Absolutely no one played well. Europe was good but not great.

We lose all 4 matches--4 and 3, 4 and 3, 2 and 1, 2 and 1.

Sam Burns needs to sit until singles. Maybe Rickie Fowler too.

Last edited:
Wow, did USA suck in this first session. Absolutely no one played well. Europe was good but not great.

We lose all 4 matches--4 and 3, 4 and 3, 2 and 1, 2 and 1.

Sam Burns needs to sit until singles. Maybe Rickie Fowler too.
wow...what a disastrous start for the USA

Reactions: bdgan
Other than Fitzpatrick/McIroy match (-6 after 7), holding out hope we can make up some ground.

Reactions: bdgan
Some poor pairings and did not take some top guys. This course seems set up for longer shots not wedge players. DJ & Bryson may have been better choices. I know they are with LIV and did not get enough points.

Why would you play Spieth in Foursomes as poorly as he played yesterday?

Latest rumor is a rift in the US locker room led by Patrick Cantley - purportedly over not being paid to play in the Ryder Cup. It’s why he’s missed a few events and is pointedly not wearing a hat in protest. Wouldn’t surprise me as he’s always been a turd.

As one Brit put it, you should replace the “a” in his last name with another letter

Reactions: Obliviax
Latest rumor is a rift in the US locker room led by Patrick Cantley - purportedly over not being paid to play in the Ryder Cup. It’s why he’s missed a few events and is pointedly not wearing a hat in protest. Wouldn’t surprise me as he’s always been a turd.

As one Brit put it, you should replace the “a” in his last name with another letter
Really lame if true. He should never be offered another spot on a Ryder Cup team again.

Picture from the 2021 Ryder Cup...

ryder-cup-usa-us-united-states-trophy-pose-getty.png

Reactions: Obliviax
IMHO, one of the best sporting events there is. Euros have dominated for the last several events until the last one. The US obliterated the Euros in the USA at Whistling Straits (one of the coolest courses I've ever seen) at the last event. Euros, with a very solid team, are motivated. At the same time, the US team includes some controversial picks. Justin Thomas had an awful year, for him, but was still picked because he is one of the most popular and, historically, successful Ryder Cup players who was eligible.

This year it is in Europe, Rome. The Euros did a lot of mathematical analysis and mapped out the golf course according to the Euro team's strengths. For example, the US team are longer hitters but tend to be a little off-center with their drives. So the Euros closed down the width of the fairway and roped off the spectators a lot further back so shots in the rough don't land in tramped down grass but fluffy rough. They also saw that the US team, for some reason, was really good at approach shots in the 125-yard range. So they tricked up that range and will force players into less than 100 or more than 140 for approach shots.

There is also a ton of analytics going into pairing, trying to get complimentary players. Both in terms of skill sets and mentality. Really solid players on both sides and maybe the best set of players ever.

Tomorrow's matchups.

I prefer the MosconI Cup.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT