ADVERTISEMENT

Ryan lays the smack down concerning CJF

I mean, she's running for the BOT:

NonProfit Board Chair Serving Youth with Disabilities; Communications Pro; Outspoken Penn Stater; 2022 Alumni Candidate for PSU Board of Trustees

I'm not sure what she said that was so outrageous - pretty fair question, but I think if you're paying attention, you know what CJF stands for based on how he operates and by what he's said. Franklin has some coaching issues, but he is very good at articulating his feelings about the program and how he runs it.

I can't believe Franklin would leave because his feelings are hurt over some rando twitter post though - think Ryan is reaching there (and if not, coaches have to get thicker skin IMO).

NonProfit Board Chair Serving Youth with Disabilities; Communications Pro; Outspoken Penn Stater; 2022 Alumni Candidate for PSU Board of Trustees

I'm not sure what she said that was so outrageous - pretty fair question, but I think if you're paying attention, you know what CJF stands for based on how he operates and by what he's said. Franklin has some coaching issues, but he is very good at articulating his feelings about the program and how he runs it.

I can't believe Franklin would leave because his feelings are hurt over some rando twitter post though - think Ryan is reaching there (and if not, coaches have to get thicker skin IMO).

who is maribeth and why do i care what she thinks? looking for clicks and Ryan Snyder gave her just what she wanted.

Penn Staters for Responsible Stewardship (PS4RS) is an organization of alumni, students, community members, university members, parents of students and supporters of the University. We aim to achieve positive change at Penn State and restore the University’s reputation.

PS4RS is an organization, governed by a seven-person volunteer board, that is managed by proud Penn Staters who are volunteering their time for this effort. The organization does not have any paid employees. The PS4RS board meets monthly to discuss strategy, action items and issues related to the leadership of Penn State. We strongly encourage new ideas that support our mission, and kindly ask that you email ps4rsinfo@ps4rs.org with a specific proposal if you wish to have yours considered by our board. The organization does not have any paid employees.

Penn Staters for Responsible Stewardship is registered as a not-for-profit corporation in the State of Pennsylvania, but at this time does not have tax-exempt status.

The organization currently has more than 20,000 members which represent a diverse cross section of the Penn State community from the United States and several foreign countries.

Mission Statement

This mission of this organization:

-Remove and replace those members of the Penn State Board of Trustees who were responsible for the mishandling of the University’s role in and response to the Jerry Sandusky saga. First and foremost, that involves electing three new Penn State trustees in 2014 in an ongoing effort to leverage the role of alumni in the BoT elections.

-Be the watchdog Penn State organization — representing a cross section of Penn State alumni, students, faculty, staff, friends and supporters – on issues regarding the leadership of the University.

-Strive to unify various alumni efforts related to improving truth, transparency and effective governance at Penn State University, including providing support to other groups and avoiding a duplication of effort.

Public Relations Coordinator
Maribeth Roman Schmidt

Email: mschmidt@ps4rs.org

Penn Staters for Responsible Stewardship (PS4RS) is an organization of alumni, students, community members, university members, parents of students and supporters of the University. We aim to achieve positive change at Penn State and restore the University’s reputation.

PS4RS is an organization, governed by a seven-person volunteer board, that is managed by proud Penn Staters who are volunteering their time for this effort. The organization does not have any paid employees. The PS4RS board meets monthly to discuss strategy, action items and issues related to the leadership of Penn State. We strongly encourage new ideas that support our mission, and kindly ask that you email ps4rsinfo@ps4rs.org with a specific proposal if you wish to have yours considered by our board. The organization does not have any paid employees.

Penn Staters for Responsible Stewardship is registered as a not-for-profit corporation in the State of Pennsylvania, but at this time does not have tax-exempt status.

The organization currently has more than 20,000 members which represent a diverse cross section of the Penn State community from the United States and several foreign countries.

Mission Statement

-Remove and replace those members of the Penn State Board of Trustees who were responsible for the mishandling of the University’s role in and response to the Jerry Sandusky saga. First and foremost, that involves electing three new Penn State trustees in 2014 in an ongoing effort to leverage the role of alumni in the BoT elections.

-Be the watchdog Penn State organization — representing a cross section of Penn State alumni, students, faculty, staff, friends and supporters – on issues regarding the leadership of the University.

-Strive to unify various alumni efforts related to improving truth, transparency and effective governance at Penn State University, including providing support to other groups and avoiding a duplication of effort.

Maribeth Roman Schmidt

Ah….now I know where the name is from. Look - they apparently ran BOB out of town so they know what they’re doing.

I have to agree. Maybe there’s some other info or preceding tweet that puts it more in context? From what’s been linked here, I don’t see any real problem with the question or get why Ryan is so upset.

Reactions: 91Joe95
I don’t feel like this is the sentiment from most current fans/students. It’s a not so subtle plea to Joe fans to get her elected and I hope everyone sees that.
Probably Midn'r....

An open letter to Ed Cunningham: Maribeth Roman Schmidt

I run a volunteer organization called Penn Staters for Responsible Stewardship. More than 40,000 alumni and friends strong, we've been working diligently to combat the decisions of the Penn State Board of Trustees since November 2011.

We're responsible for the nine new trustees who all oppose the Freeh Report. And we're always in search of journalists who will help us reasonably question the unfathomable series of events that unfairly damaged the reputation of a wonderful university, football program, its community and so many loyal and dignified employees and leaders, including the late Joe Paterno and his family.

That brings me to a recent commentary by Ed Cunningham during the recent Penn State game in Dublin.

I couldn't help but flinch when I heard his comments at the end of the game regarding how "everyone was embarrassed at what happened there at the end of Joe Paterno's tenure."

I don't know of a single Penn State alumnus who is embarrassed about Joe Paterno. However, we were and still are very much embarrassed by the failure of leadership at the school. Maybe that's what you meant?

Obviously, we're horribly embarrassed by Jerry Sandusky for being the vile criminal that he is. We're furiously embarrassed by our former president Rodney Erickson for folding to NCAA pressure when they had no jurisdiction and no case in leveling their sanctions.

And, there's simply no end to the embarrassment we have for the trustees who've not exhibited an ounce of good judgment or fiduciary responsibility to figure out exactly what happened before they fired Joe Paterno and Graham Spanier.

Yes, we are all very embarrassed by the University's actions, but not at all by Joe's.

To that end, and because I'm a fan of your work as producer of "Undefeated," I thought I'd take a moment to share some facts about the Sandusky/Penn State case that you may not know (or may have forgotten, given the way it's dragged on). I'd be grateful for your time to consider the enormity of the injustice that continues to occur.

Finally, if you haven't done so already, I strongly encourage you to read Jay Paterno's new book, "Paterno Legacy," specifically the first chapter titled, "The Elephant in the Room," which straightens out so many inaccuracies of the current narrative.

I'd respectfully ask Cunningham to keep some of these thoughts in the forefront of your mind. In the longer term, I'd very much welcome the opportunity to meet with him to discuss the potential for your interest in helping us to right this ship.

Maribeth Roman Schmidt was the executive director of Penn Staters for Responsible Stewardship.

Last edited:
Video of that smack down
lgoYhR4.gif

It's not clear to me exactly what she's implying from that first tweet.

Is she saying we should be wary of becoming a football factory? Is she saying she doesn't like the way Franklin has been doing things?

I need it spelled out a little more.
Would be the first “football factory” in history to get humiliated on its home field by a team of the caliber of 2021 Illinois!

Reactions: PSUoh90
We need Barry more that ever. If he were just a little more diplomatic. Actually, I mean if he had any diplomacy at all.
No - Barry is a one trick pony. His only message is “ do not spend money”. I’m not defending the BOT, but he’s not the answer. People who want to run PSU as a business do not understand higher education.

Ah….now I know where the name is from. Look - they apparently ran BOB out of town so they know what they’re doing.

Maybe Bill O’Brien leaving Penn State for the Houston Texans wasn’t such a jerk move after all.

In an article published by Pennsylvania’s Patriot News, columnist David Jones described a heated, off-the-record rant that former Penn State head coach Bill O’Brien had with him on the phone in December, a rant in which O’Brien hinted that he was thinking about leaving the school.
The rant came about due to a question about the negative backlash from “Paterno-era loyalists” who were upset about the dismissal (or resignation) of Ron Vanderlinden, an assistant coach who had been on the staff under Joe Paterno. Many fans were upset about Vanderlinden’s exit, as he was one of the few remaining ties to the Joe-Pa era, and wanted answers as to whose decision it was for Vanderlinden to leave.
This set O’Brien off. From the article:

“You can print this: You can print that I don’t really give a [expletive] what the ‘Paterno people’ think about what I do with this program. I’ve done everything I can to show respect to Coach Paterno. Everything in my power. So I could really care less about what the Paterno faction of people, or whatever you call them, think about what I do with the program. I’m tired of it.

“For any ‘Paterno person’ to have any objection to what I’m doing, it makes me wanna put my fist through this windshield right now.”
He continued:
“I’m trying to field the most competitive football team I can with near-death penalty [expletive] sanctions. Every time I say something like that and somebody prints it, it’s skewed as an excuse. And I’m not an excuse-maker. I’m trying to do the best I can for the kids in that program. That’s all I care about is the kids in that program. As long as I’m the head football coach here.”
It was during this rant that O’Brien dropped the major bomb.
“That’s why, in probably about a month, they’re gonna be [expletive] looking for a new coach.”
The rant is interesting not only because it hints at O’Brien’s imminent departure, but because it illustrates the pressure O’Brien was working under at Penn State. Forget just coaching a football team. This guy was leading a Division-1 program that was saddled with the loss of significant scholarships, a program that was reeling from one of the major scandals in NCAA history and, on top of all that, he was doing so with a loud faction of the fans (and, perhaps, the administration) still longing for the time when Joe Paterno coached them.
It sheds light on O’Brien’s decision to leave. This wasn’t just a guy using Penn State’s battered program as a springboard to an NFL coaching job.

O’Brien was asked to do something impossible. He actually pulled it off, leading the team to a 15-9 record during his tenure there, and he was still flayed because he wasn’t properly showing deference to Joe Paterno. Why would O’Brien stay?

Of course none of this is discussing Jones’ decision to publish these quotes, given that they were off-the-record at the time. It’s unclear if he thought that O’Brien’s decision to leave freed him from any agreements the two had, or if he got O’Brien’s permission, or if he just didn’t need him any more. The funny thing is, his decision to print the off-the-record quotes makes O’Brien more likable in this whole thing.
He’s more likable because it’s clear that his job at Penn State had as much to do with things outside of football as it had to do with football. He had to know that going in, of course, but perhaps he didn’t know that, even after everything that happened at Penn State, people would still long for the good old days.
This quote from Jones best sums it all up:

“[O’Brien] adores the pro game, the purity of it, without the university politics and pretense of the college version.”
Yes, the NFL, with its huge salaries, big egos, corporate sponsorship and all the rest, has a “purity” that O’Brien couldn’t find in the college game. Yikes.

Reactions: Midnighter2
No - Barry is a one trick pony. His only message is “ do not spend money”. I’m not defending the BOT, but he’s not the answer. People who want to run PSU as a business do not understand higher education.
He is just a little bit rigid. It would make for some bizarre BOT theater.

Last edited:
Further evidence that every person in a leadership position with PS4RS is a complete moron.

Founder: Michelle Murosky
Executive Director: Maribeth Roman Schmidt
Board of Directors: Elizabeth Morgan, Christian Marrone, Cathy Misitano, Dan Wallace

Mission Statement

Maribeth Roman Schmidt

OK, i remember them. still confused as to exactly what she is trying to imply. when I look across the college landscape, i don't see many other coaches upholding the level of student athlete accountability as JFF does. So in that sense, he is about as close to a modern day Joe Paterno as is in the coaching world right now. So not sure what the complaint is if that is what she is implying.

The rant came about due to a question about the negative backlash from “Paterno-era loyalists” who were upset about the dismissal (or resignation) of Ron Vanderlinden, an assistant coach who had been on the staff under Joe Paterno.
The thing that always bothered me about this story as it related to Vanderlinden is that I'm not sure the question to OB was presented accurately (probably on purpose). I think the Joebot position at the time was not necessarily that Ron was one of the last signs of Joe's influnce, but more that he was a REALLY good coach. Why would we get rid of him for no apparent reason? It was less about what Joe would have done and more about "why did that have to happen". OB should have seen that and for him to assume he would not be compared to Joe was pretty foolish.

The thing that always bothered me about this story as it related to Vanderlinden is that I'm not sure the question to OB was presented accurately (probably on purpose). I think the Joebot position at the time was not necessarily that Ron was one of the last signs of Joe's influnce, but more that he was a REALLY good coach. Why would we get rid of him for no apparent reason? It was less about what Joe would have done and more about "why did that have to happen". OB should have seen that and for him to assume he would not be compared to Joe was pretty foolish.
and the last good LB'r coach we had.

and the last good LB'r coach we had.
I think you might be right about not having a good LB coach since him but I think you’re incorrect labeling Vanderlinden as good. His linebackers were phenomenal and input a lot of that on their coaching.

This thread really disappoints me. It's certainly not an example of this board at its finest.

First, it appears to me that many have leapt to conclusions (mostly inaccurate) as to what Maribeth meant by her tweet.

Second, despite what @BW Lion claimed, neither Maribeth nor any of the former leaders of PS4RS are a moron; far from it.

Third, PS4RS (either its leaders or its members) did not run BOB out of town. They weren't even a factor in his leaving PSU.

A few folks in the thread do seem to have caught on that there is a lot of overreaction to, and misunderstanding about, what she tweeted. I commend those that figured this out, and posted about it.

Ease up a bit guys, and don't go overboard on things.

I think you might be right about not having a good LB coach since him but I think you’re incorrect labeling Vanderlinden as good. His linebackers were phenomenal and input a lot of that on their coaching.
IDK weren't there some walk ons and not so highly rated ones in that group. Mike Hull, Mauti, Hodges, Carson, Tim Shaw...
You might be the only one who doesn't think Vandy was a good lbr coach.
And I wont even mention the highly rated ones we've had since that have just kind of been and currently are "ok".

Reactions: step.eng69
This thread really disappoints me. It's certainly not an example of this board at its finest.

First, it appears to me that many have leapt to conclusions (mostly inaccurate) as to what Maribeth meant by her tweet.

Second, despite what @BW Lion claimed, neither Maribeth nor any of the former leaders of PS4RS are a moron; far from it.

Third, PS4RS (either its leaders or its members) did not run BOB out of town. They weren't even a factor in his leaving PSU.

A few folks in the thread do seem to have caught on that there is a lot of overreaction to, and misunderstanding about, what she tweeted. I commend those that figured this out, and posted about it.

Ease up a bit guys, and don't go overboard on things.
LMAO. OMG Tom have you been paying attention to this board for the last few weeks. We passed "finest" about 10 exits ago.

IDK weren't there some walk ons and not so highly rated ones in that group. Mike Hull, Mauti, Hodges, Carson, Tim Shaw...
You might be the only one who doesn't think Vandy was a good lbr coach.
And I wont even mention the highly rated ones we've had since that have just kind of been and currently are "ok".
Speaking of Tim Shaw.

Reactions: step.eng69
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT