ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers

Cali_Nittany

Jan 5, 2016
The PRC
I braved the traffic this morning and headed up US-1 from Princeton to New Brunswick. I need some help on this lineup. Its a mess. There are a lot of possible permutations at several weight classes. So here's a start:

125 – Metzler (So) or Aguilar (Fr)

I’m assuming the rumors are true and that Suriano is bumping up to 133. Metzler went 11-11 last season, getting his redshirt burnt for a couple of duals at the end of the year after Suriano was injured. Another option could be Nico Aguilar, an incoming freshman and 2-time California state runner-up.

133 – Suriano (Ju)

Suriano went 25-1 last year on his way to a 2nd place finish @125. He takes over for 3-time qualifier and AA from last year (6th place - unseeded), Scott Delvecchio (R12 in 2017, 0-2 in 2015).

141 – Mike Van Brill (So) or Lipari (Jr)

Van Brill went 14-14 last year and did not qualify for the tournament. Lipari went 10-8 in opens last year. Zach Firestone (a transfer from Bucknell in 2017) went 19-4 in opens last year @133 so maybe he could be a possibility here or @125 too. (None of them have redshirts left to use.)

149 – Ashnault (Sr)

Ashnault returns from injury. He is a 3-time AA @141 (6th in 2017, 4th in 2016, 8th in 2015). He takes over for last year’s starter, Eleazer Deluca who went 14-14 on the season, 2-2 in the tournament.

157 – John Van Brill (Sr) or Glasgow (Fr) or someone else

Van Brill is a 2-time qualifier (2-2 in 2018 from the 15 seed, 1-2 in 2017 from the 13 seed) and had a 22-14 season record. He may move up to 165 (he’s listed @165 on the Rutgers website). If so, it would look like incoming freshman Gerald Jones or maybe Nick Santos (So) or Stephan Glasgow (Fr) would start here. Glasgow is a 2-time New Jersey state champion @152.

165 – Glasgow (Fr) or John Van Brill (Sr)

Glasgow or Van Brill replaces Richie Lewis (“The Mouth” to those who don’t recognize his given name), a two-time qualifier who finished in the round of 12 last year from the 6 seed and 1-2 @157 in 2017.

174 – Grello (So) or Pagano (Sr)

Grello went 14-10 in his first year as the starter and did not qualify for the tournament. Pagano went 14-8 last year (1-4 in duals). Pagano did qualify for the tournament in 2017, going 1-2.

184 – Gravina (Sr)

Three-time qualifier Gravina gets an additional year due to injury. He had a 19-7 season record last year and went 1-2 in the tourney from the 14 seed. He went to the round of 12 in 2017 and went 1-2 in 2016.

197 – Correnti (So) or Wright (Fr)

Correnti returns from a redshirt season (15-6 record) at heavyweight. He qualified for the tournament in 2017 @197 going 1-2. Last year’s starter, Anthony Messner, went 2-13. If Correnti can’t drop back down, it looks like Wright would be the starter (10-4 record in a grayshirt year).

Heavy – Colucci (Jr) or Correnti (So)

Colucci is a transfer from Lehigh and went 7-2 last year. He's taking over for Razohnn Gross who went 16-13 last year and didn’t qualify for the tournament.

Rutgers returns 1 AA (Suriano) from last year and loses 1 AA (Delvecchio) and R12 Lewis. They also get a former AA back (Ashnault). Rutgers hopes in returning to their rightful place in the top 10 largely hinge upon Ashnault’s ability to come back from injury. Rutgers placed 11th with 42.5 points last year.

Last edited:
Normandia, if he can stay healthy, will have a legitimate shot at the heavyweight spot. He's a 5th year senior and believes this is his year.

Normandia, if he can stay healthy, will have a legitimate shot at the heavyweight spot. He's a 5th year senior and believes this is his year.

That may be true but that's not necessarily a good thing for Rutgers. Although he did give Haynes a match at the (last?) NLO.

Gotta give it to Gravina. The kid has to be tough as nails. Every year it seems his shoulder is about to fall off and he keeps coming back for more. Hoping he can AA.

I predict Suriano 2nd at 125 and 3rd if he goes 133 (behind Gross, Micic), if Ash healthy I can see him top 4.

I'll say two AA's and and an outside shot at two more..Gravina, J Van Brill

I braved the traffic this morning and headed up US-1 from Princeton to New Brunswick. I need some help on this lineup. Its a mess. There are a lot of possible permutations at several weight classes. So here's a start:

I’m assuming the rumors are true and that Suriano is bumping up to 133. Metzler went 11-11 last season, getting his redshirt burnt for a couple of duals at the end of the year after Suriano was injured. Another option could be Nico Aguilar, an incoming freshman and 2-time California state runner-up.

133 – Suriano (Ju)

Suriano went 25-1 last year on his way to a 2nd place finish @125. He takes over for 3-time qualifier and AA from last year (6th place - unseeded), Scott Delvecchio (R12 in 2017, 0-2 in 2015).

Van Brill went 14-14 last year and did not qualify for the tournament. Lipari went 10-8 in opens last year. Zach Firestone (a transfer from Bucknell in 2017) went 19-4 in opens last year @133 so maybe he could be a possibility here or @125 too. (None of them have redshirts left to use.)

149 – Ashnault (Sr)

Ashnault returns from injury. He is a 3-time AA @141 (6th in 2017, 4th in 2016, 8th in 2015). He takes over for last year’s starter, Eleazer Deluca who went 14-14 on the season, 2-2 in the tournament.

157 – John Van Brill (Sr) or Glasgow (Fr) or someone else

Van Brill is a 2-time qualifier (2-2 in 2018 from the 15 seed, 1-2 in 2017 from the 13 seed) and had a 22-14 season record. He may move up to 165 (he’s listed @165 on the Rutgers website). If so, it would look like incoming freshman Gerald Jones or maybe Nick Santos (So) or Stephan Glasgow (Fr) would start here. Glasgow is a 2-time New Jersey state champion @152.

165 – Glasgow (Fr) or John Van Brill (Sr)

Glasgow or Van Brill replaces Richie Lewis (“The Mouth” to those who don’t recognize his given name), a two-time qualifier who finished in the round of 12 last year from the 6 seed and 1-2 @157 in 2017.

174 – Grello (So) or Pagano (Sr)

Grello went 14-10 in his first year as the starter and did not qualify for the tournament. Pagano went 14-8 last year (1-4 in duals). Pagano did qualify for the tournament in 2017, going 1-2.

184 – Gravina (Sr)

Three-time qualifier Gravina gets an additional year due to injury. He had a 19-7 season record last year and went 1-2 in the tourney from the 14 seed. He went to the round of 12 in 2017 and went 1-2 in 2016.

197 – Correnti (So) or Wright (Fr)

Correnti returns from a redshirt season (15-6 record) at heavyweight. He qualified for the tournament in 2017 @197 going 1-2. Last year’s starter, Anthony Messner, went 2-13. If Correnti can’t drop back down, it looks like Wright would be the starter (10-4 record in a grayshirt year).

Heavy – Colucci (Jr) or Correnti (So)

Colucci is a transfer from Lehigh and went 7-2 last year. He's taking over for Razohnn Gross who went 16-13 last year and didn’t qualify for the tournament.

Rutgers returns 1 AA (Suriano) from last year and loses 1 AA (Delvecchio) and R12 Lewis. They also get a former AA back (Ashnault). Rutgers hopes in returning to their rightful place in the top 10 largely hinge upon Ashnault’s ability to come back from injury. Rutgers placed 11th with 42.5 points last year.
Mods may need to take down this thread.

The%2Bfirst%2Brule%2Bof%2BFight%2BClub%2Bis%2B%2BYou%2Bdo%2Bnot%2Btalk%2Babout%2BFight%2BClub.jpg

Gotta give it to Gravina. The kid has to be tough as nails. Every year it seems his shoulder is about to fall off and he keeps coming back for more. Hoping he can AA.

I predict Suriano 2nd at 125 and 3rd if he goes 133 (behind Gross, Micic), if Ash healthy I can see him top 4.

I'll say two AA's and and an outside shot at two more..Gravina, J Van Brill

I hand to Gravina but wish he'd stop for his own sake. He's looking at years of pain if he stopped now. If he continues, many more.

It depends on Fix. If Fix goes 125, I think Suriano will be looking at 3rd. I agree about 133.

Ashnault will be a total mystery. Tough injury from which to come back. Ask the Altons.

VanBrill is a very outside candidate. I think he wrestled as well as he could and got some breaks in 2018. I believe he'll have a tough time matching that performance.

133 – Suriano (Ju)

149 – Ashnault (Sr)

Rutgers Roster was released and interesting to see that Suriano is still listed at 125 and Ashnault is listed at 141. Ashnault listed at 141 is a surprise but makes for a great crop of wrestlers in that group

Rutgers Roster was released and interesting to see that Suriano is still listed at 125 and Ashnault is listed at 141. Ashnault listed at 141 is a surprise but makes for a great crop of wrestlers in that group

Ashnault is going 149, still up in air what weight Suriano goes(although I think he will be 125)

Perhaps Ash gives Nick a run for his money with RU Male Athlete of the Year award this year.

Ash's whole family has a commercial on BTN

#heisthefaceofRUwrestling
#bestchanceforgold
#donnieforHCoftheYear

Any aspiring assistant coaches out there should give this a watch.

Any aspiring assistant coaches out there should give this a watch.

I saw that car parked in the parking lot across Atherton the other day and I know that was the guy standing outside the Lorenzo complex trying his best to give full ride scholarships to some school in New Jersey.

Read an article last night about a local Jersey kid, Connor O'Neill, committing to Rutgers. In the article, Connor mentioned he's going to a top 10 program, 15 minutes from home. :)

So it's not just the homer fans talking about RU being a top 10 program, the insiders are spreading that misinformation also. Connor sounds like a good kid, I wish him the best. But that is just too funny, you can't make this stuff up.

https://www.onthebanks.com/2018/9/2...ling-lands-2020-commit-connor-oneill#comments

Last edited:
still up in air what weight Suriano goes(although I think he will be 125)

Well, I'm sure Papa Suriano will weigh in and tell the RU staff where he needs to be.

Joking aside, Fix, Lee and Suriano at 125 would be legendary. Can't wait to see those guys square off.

Reactions: ruready07
Read an article last night about a local Jersey kid, Connor O'Neill, committing to Rutgers. In the article, Connor mentioned he's going to a top 10 program, 15 minutes from home. :)

So it's not just the homer fans talking about RU being a top 10 program, the insiders are spreading that misinformation also. Connor sounds like a good kid, I wish him the best. But that is just too funny, you can't make this stuff up.

https://www.onthebanks.com/2018/9/2...ling-lands-2020-commit-connor-oneill#comments
Best part of that article is Goodale's recruiting batsignal:

So easy to imagine him doing the same dance Ryan did when he landed Hoffman.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT