ADVERTISEMENT

Rumor Swirling That Big Ten Will Be Adding 4 New Schools This Week

Rutgers and MD took a partial payment, but that ends in 2027. I'm guessing that the new Pac12 teams will also receive partial share for a while, but not as long as Rutgers. Maybe that was what was happening the other day and OU was leveraging better terms.

I believe Oregon and Washington get $30 mil next year, with a $1 million per year increase until the end of the contract.

You and others talk about how this may hurt your interest but they don't care about you (or me).

Let's pretend the Big XII is the second tier...I'm still watching those games and their playoff. They have future NFL players and it's a good quality of football.

Why do you continually tell others their opinion is worthless and outdated while pushing your own opinion as if it's gospel?

The quality of the Big 12 will diminish even further by the end of this TV contract unless their teams start winning a lot of games and garnering eyeballs. And that's if they don't lose further ground before then ie playoff entrance. And if they are relegated at some point to their own separate playoff, death knell. They'll be as insignificant as FCS is when it comes to ratings and perhaps merge with them.

Where do those eyeballs go in this event? The gamble seems to be on "college super conference".

I agree, they need that younger generation or there is going to be a lot of recalibration going on. I saw some quote somewhere from a tv executive who said the younger generations are what keep him up at night. Who knows, maybe the younger folks will become bigger sports fans as they age into their 30s and 40s.
Gambling likely pulls them in if nothing else but live sports is the only non-streaming TV viewing option that will survive. People don't want to wait a week to see the next episode of something.

Why do you continually tell others their opinion is worthless and outdated while pushing your own opinion as if it's gospel?

The quality of the Big 12 will diminish even further by the end of this TV contract unless their teams start winning a lot of games and garnering eyeballs. And that's if they don't lose further ground before then ie playoff entrance. And if they are relegated at some point to their own separate playoff, death knell. They'll be as insignificant as FCS is when it comes to ratings and perhaps merge with them.

Where do those eyeballs go in this event? The gamble seems to be on "college super conference".
Many opinions here are fixated on what college football was. Reality is that's dead therefore its outdated.

Gambling and the fact that some network or streaming channel needs more games to televiae than just, for example, the top 48 teams. Same reason the XFL and USFL are televised. They might be primarily Thursday and Friday but there's a place for them. The quality of those games is far superior to "secondary pro leagues" plus, like FCS, they'll be competing for their own title but, unlikely FCS, they'll have a ton of future NFL players and players that might be transferring to the top tier and your team next year. Let's not pretend millions are watching them now. They'll still get 300-500k easily.

Die hard football fans will watch. Fans of those programs will watch. Hope is a funny thing...they'll all believe someday they'll be back with the teams in the top level. And that when they're team is good that they're truly the best team.

Last edited:
I believe Oregon and Washington will be invited within the next 6 months, but Clemson and FSU seem like total bs. The ACC GOR cannot be broken. The ramifications for those two schools to be on the losing end of this are crushing.
And the b10 won't be the one helping to break it. B10 has its own GOR and while they might not be worried about getting poached by another current conference you better believe Purdue doesn't want the GOR to become easy to get out of because at some point the big dogs might decide it's time to leave the b10 and the NCAA to form a semi pro league

I am not sure this is what I'd agree to but this is where we will be headed, eventually. In the end, the college football landscape will look more like the NFL. there they try to create regional rivalries to promote game attendance (short trips) and still get the TV viewership up. But the notion of "conferences", just like the notion of the NCAA, is deteriorating.

F23sLmiXYAAYmPo

I am not sure this is what I'd agree to but this is where we will be headed, eventually. In the end, the college football landscape will look more like the NFL. there they try to create regional rivalries to promote game attendance (short trips) and still get the TV viewership up. But the notion of "conferences", just like the notion of the NCAA, is deteriorating.

F23sLmiXYAAYmPo
Bored out of my mind with our conference. Half those teams shouldn't even be included in this.

F23sLmiXYAAYmPo
"Forgetaboutit"! That Northeast conference is worthless.

F23sLmiXYAAYmPo
Looks good but if I was the CFB God I'd reduce that to 8 regions and have the WINNER of each region advance to a playoff. No lucky losers aka wild cards.

Reactions: Obliviax

F23sLmiXYAAYmPo
That looks to obvious. But PSU should their division 0 outta 10 years. The upper Midwest would,be loaded with a lot of good teams…..should spread that out a bit.

That looks to obvious. But PSU should their division 0 outta 10 years. The upper Midwest would,be loaded with a lot of good teams…..should spread that out a bit.
somebody else stated that it should be 8 regions to make four playoff games. I would also like to see something like the Premier League's "Regulation" where a handful of the worst teams lose their power ranking and the next handful of teams earns a place in the power divisions. So, for example, a Hawaii or UNLV gets regulated to a lower level but a Liberty.

F23sLmiXYAAYmPo
This assumes all schools are equal. They are not. You could have a varsity league and JV league. Essentially take the top half of the conferences that exist today and they make the varsity as a league with regional divisions.

For any of this to happen, the presidents would have to agree to disband conferences for football. Not sure they would unless it meant significantly more money versus the current conference format. Also the travel logistics are a minor concern for football. Not a huge deal for PSU football to get on a charter plane Fri morning and fly to LA for a Sat afternoon game then return that evening after the game. The travel logistics issues lie with all the minor sports.

Reactions: Obliviax

F23sLmiXYAAYmPo

Ignoring some of the weird geographical misplacements that schedule would suck for us.

This assumes all schools are equal. They are not. You could have a varsity league and JV league. Essentially take the top half of the conferences that exist today and they make the varsity as a league with regional divisions.

For any of this to happen, the presidents would have to agree to disband conferences for football. Not sure they would unless it meant significantly more money versus the current conference format. Also the travel logistics are a minor concern for football. Not a huge deal for PSU football to get on a charter plane Fri morning and fly to LA for a Sat afternoon game then return that evening after the game. The travel logistics issues lie with all the minor sports.
But travel is huge for the three dozen other sports.

The biggest obstacle is TV contracts. This would all have to negotiated with all networks/streaming services and all schools involved. That’s a huge ask.

What are the odds Stanford and Cal are still in play for a B1G invite. It seems like there could be a long game here while the B1G works out the financials of adding 6 PAC 12 schools.

Reactions: Pete in LA
somebody else stated that it should be 8 regions to make four playoff games. I would also like to see something like the Premier League's "Regulation" where a handful of the worst teams lose their power ranking and the next handful of teams earns a place in the power divisions. So, for example, a Hawaii or UNLV gets regulated to a lower level but a Liberty.
Double that...2 playoff teams for each region

PAC 12 president to Big 12 - take all of us except Oregon St and Washington St.
Wow, they certainly all turned on each other starting with last year USC wanting the B1G to exclude Oregon from future expansion, and now this. Hell, even Stanford and Cal are attempting to leave WSU and OrSU behind for the ACC. Let this be a lesson, one that we already know from the attempts to bury PSU with the Sandusky scandal, it is every school for themselves.

PAC 12 president to Big 12 - take all of us except Oregon St and Washington St.
Wow, they certainly all turned on each other starting with last year USC wanting the B1G to exclude Oregon from future expansion, and now this. Hell, even Stanford and Cal are attempting to leave WSU and OrSU behind for the ACC. Let this be a lesson, one that we already know from the attempts to bury PSU with the Sandusky scandal, it is every school for themselves.
Why would schools worry about another program? It's all about survival and success. This has always been true. See Penn State not getting into the Big East. Let's not pretend this is new.

PAC12 schools turned down $30M last fall
It would have saved their conference, but misguided schools thought they were worth $50m. For the amount of intellectual firepower that exists in those schools, they made awful mistakes.

Might have delayed death for one more cycle, but the hammer was going to drop eventually.

What nobody has mentioned is what happens in 2030 if these moves don't match the contracts that are offered then? More mouths and less money is possible.

After a few more moves and contracts begin to expire I expect to see the big dogs demand proportionality in payouts. This will trigger the B2G and SEC to exit the NCAA for football dropping dead weight and cherry picking from the other conferences. Since it'll only be for football it won't be long before conferences go back to traditional affiliations for all other sports.

Reactions: LandoComando
I'm absolutely loving the new conference and completely jacked to see B1G teams roll through LA. I will definitely be at your game against SC in 2025 although all those schedules will probably be changed. I expect PSU to give them the Auburn treatment. I'm an Arizona State grad and usually make it to at least a couple games a year usually at The Coliseum or Rose Bowl. I can tell you as a PAC 12 hostage this move couldn't come soon enough. I've had my fill of the usual games and hit or miss experiences at the insanely inconsistent venues and fan bases. As a lifelong Hawkeye and ASU alum Im used to the roller coaster but always looked forward to full stadiums and lively fans even when the teams were struggling. ASU has really dropped off in the last 10 years and its sad going out to Tempe to see what's become of a once decent program and game atmosphere.

As far as expansion I think the B1G take Stanford eventually. There are just a shit load of B1G alumni in Silicon Valley and I don't see the presidents passing up the opportunity to establish major ties to all that VC money on Sand Hill Road in Palo Alto (Stanford). Pass on Cal even though it has many of the same qualities as Stanford. With Cal you have to deal with California politics which is a quagmire with a side of Sacramento dumpster fire. Sure you get some of that with UCLA but not to the extent Cal does. Thats my impression anyway having been out here for 20+ years. Stanford has more money and does whatever the hell it wants and would join the B1G in a NY second.

If Stanford doesn't draw in Notre Dame take Miami and go to 20. Cut a deal with NBC to have ND play a block of B1G games and do some sort of rev share with ND. If I was the B1G I would stop at 20 max and go to some sort of flex pod scheduling system.

PAC12 schools turned down $30M last fall
It would have saved their conference, but misguided schools thought they were worth $50m. For the amount of intellectual firepower that exists in those schools, they made awful mistakes.
Some of their additional mistakes over the years include:

- Rejecting Texas *multiple* times over the years, including with Oklahoma in 2010
- Not taking their Pac-12 Network to ESPN or FOX and not getting it on almost any major cable/satellite provider
- Not killing off the Big 12 when they had the chance (Kansas and TCU would’ve been great academic and cultural fits)

They deserved their fate. And to think they brought in more than any other conference as recently as the 2000s…

Reactions: lazydave841
Some of their additional mistakes over the years include:

- Rejecting Texas *multiple* times over the years, including with Oklahoma in 2010
- Not taking their Pac-12 Network to ESPN or FOX and not getting it on almost any major cable/satellite provider
- Not killing off the Big 12 when they had the chance (Kansas and TCU would’ve been great academic and cultural fits)

They deserved their fate. And to think they brought in more than any other conference as recently as the 2000s…
Agreed on all counts. They failed to see the changing landscape of cfb. In fact USC has wanted out for 3 or 4 years. The conference was too snooty to see the truth of their predicament. Too bad for both parties the PAC and Texas never came too be. Texas itself seems like a better fit with the former PAC 12 than the SEC.

Agreed on all counts. They failed to see the changing landscape of cfb. In fact USC has wanted out for 3 or 4 years. The conference was too snooty to see the truth of their predicament. Too bad for both parties the PAC and Texas never came to be. Texas itself seems like a better fit with the former PAC 12 than the SEC.
Agree 100%. Most people think of Texas being a good fit for the SEC due to their football lineage, but Austin aligns much more closely with the rest of the Pac-12. Kansas also would’ve been a solid fit (Lawrence is an outlier in the Great Plains) and it would’ve unlocked the Kansas City media market for the conference.

I also never got why the Pac-12 considered the Longhorn Network to be a deal-breaker. Not only is (was?) the Pac-12 Network not affiliated with ESPN, but the conference has a chain of regional channels in each Pac-12 state that essentially serve as RSNs for member institutions. For example, PACN Oregon acts as a network for Oregon and Oregon State, PACN Washington serves as a network for Washington and Wazzu, etc. How would the LHN have been any different? And that’s something they turned away one of the biggest CFB brands for? Just so many boneheaded decisions that led to their death spiral.

Reactions: LMTLION
Agree 100%. Most people think of Texas being a good fit for the SEC due to their football lineage, but Austin aligns much more closely with the rest of the Pac-12. Kansas also would’ve been a solid fit (Lawrence is an outlier in the Great Plains) and it would’ve unlocked the Kansas City media market for the conference.

I also never got why the Pac-12 considered the Longhorn Network to be a deal-breaker. Not only is (was?) the Pac-12 Network not affiliated with ESPN, but the conference has a chain of regional channels in each Pac-12 state that essentially serve as RSNs for member institutions. For example, PACN Oregon acts as a network for Oregon and Oregon State, PACN Washington serves as a network for Washington and Wazzu, etc. How would the LHN have been any different? And that’s something they turned away one of the biggest CFB brands for? Just so many boneheaded decisions that led to their death spiral.
They probably could have gotten Oklahoma with Texas as they were not thrilled with the B12. If that happened then USC and UCLA probably stay. Sad to see a conference just decimated like this.

They probably could have gotten Oklahoma with Texas as they were not thrilled with the B12. If that happened then USC and UCLA probably stay. Sad to see a conference just decimated like this.
That was the plan in the 2000s realignment era. It was supposed to be Oklahoma and Texas plus Oklahoma State and Texas Tech. We were about 30 mins away from our first 16-team ‘super conference’ until ESPN agreed to launch the Longhorn Network. Oklahoma was going to use it to improve their academic prestige and gain AAU status.

In hindsight, I’m shocked how close it came to happening considering OK St and TTU were involved.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT