ADVERTISEMENT

Rumor Swirling That Big Ten Will Be Adding 4 New Schools This Week

There is a reason why the Presidents vote on this because sports is a very small part of the equation. Cal and Stanford will be in the B1G. The collective might if the B1G is enormous. Research, Alumni, Congressional, Sports, Media, Academics, Brand recognition, endowments, etc… no other “conference” comes close.

Reactions: NedFromYork
There is a reason why the Presidents vote on this because sports is a very small part of the equation. Cal and Stanford will be in the B1G. The collective might if the B1G is enormous. Research, Alumni, Congressional, Sports, Media, Academics, Brand recognition, endowments, etc… no other “conference” comes close.
I agree to a certain extent, but the tv networks are increasingly making these decisions. I do believe that Stanford is part of our conference at some point but at a greatly reduced revenue #. The B1G presidents will make this happen. I personally would like to see that happen.

None of which necessitates them joining your athletic conference. If such an association is important, they can be invited to the Big Ten’s academic consortium alone.

I disagree. ‘Sports’ is the brand. It makes kids want to go there. If PSU didn’t have great sports, it would be a much smarter school.

Reactions: GSPMax
We could attach Stanford to the BIG for wrestling - if you value college wrestling (as I do), we need to save Stanford’s program, and Oregon State’s too. Right now they’re orphans, and with reduced revenues due to the PAC 12 implosion, they very well may be on the chopping block soon. Since none of the 4 recent additions have Wrestling programs, the BIG should either offer Stanford an OSU a provisional membership for wrestling (like Jon’s Hopkins in lacrosse), or financially incentivize USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Washington to start wrestling programs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Obliviax
We could attach Stanford to the BIG for wrestling - if you value college wrestling (as I do), we need to save Stanford’s program, and Oregon State’s too. Right now they’re orphans, and with reduced revenues due to the OAC 12 implosion, they very well may be on the chopping block soon. Since none of the 4 recent additions have Wrestling programs, the BIG should either offer Stanford an OSU a provisional membership for wrestling (like Jon’s Hopkins in lacrosse), or financially incentivize USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Washington to start wrestling programs.
I don't think anyone really cares about wrestling that are making the decisions. Wrestling isn't really competitive right now...nor has it ever been. A program (or two) always dominate.

Sure - but that’s now us! it is in PSUs interest to keep wrestling a viable NCAA sport, because we’re ruling it now - don’t you want that to continue? It’s our only dominant sport - because we sure as heck aren’t doing anything close to dominating in football or hoops.

I disagree. ‘Sports’ is the brand. It makes kids want to go there. If PSU didn’t have great sports, it would be a much smarter school.
PSU doesn’t have great sportS, we have great sport, singular - wrestling, and it’s in our best interest to advocate for wrestling to continue as an NCAA scholarship sport, because we are dominating it. we are good in some other sports, mediocre in some, and downright lousy in some. Hopefully, Mr. Kraft changes that.

Last edited:
We will see by Aug 15 how strong the agreement is as that is the deadline to give notice to the ACC. If nothing occurs by that date you know the document is bulletproof. Why did FSU, or any other ACC school, sign away their rights for 20 freaking years .
Stupidity ?

Reactions: doctornick
We could attach Stanford to the BIG for wrestling - if you value college wrestling (as I do), we need to save Stanford’s program, and Oregon State’s too. Right now they’re orphans, and with reduced revenues due to the PAC 12 implosion, they very well may be on the chopping block soon. Since none of the 4 recent additions have Wrestling programs, the BIG should either offer Stanford an OSU a provisional membership for wrestling (like Jon’s Hopkins in lacrosse), or financially incentivize USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Washington to start wrestling programs.
Arizona St is the only team leaving the PAC-12 that sponsors wresting. Stanford and Oregon St and the three associate members who play wrestling in the league will likely just shift to have the MPSF sponsor the sport, maybe picking up Cal Baptist or some other programs that make geographical sense.

Sure - but that’s now us! it is in PSUs interest to keep wrestling a viable NCAA sport, because we’re ruling it now - don’t you want that to continue? It’s our only dominant sport - because we sure as heck aren’t doing anything close to dominating in football or hoops.
And I understand why people enjoy dominating it. I just dont care about dominating a sport that isn't competitive. Doesn't make me right. Just my opinion.

I agree to a certain extent, but the tv networks are increasingly making these decisions. I do believe that Stanford is part of our conference at some point but at a greatly reduced revenue #. The B1G presidents will make this happen. I personally would like to see that happen.
San Francisco is the 6th largest media market. Stanford makes sense from both an academic prestige perspective and a media rights perspective. Love to see Stanford and Notre Dame as schools 19 & 20

Reactions: NedFromYork
PSU doesn’t have great sportS, we have great sport, singular - wrestling, and it’s in our best interest to advocate for wrestling to continue as an NCAA scholarship sport, because we are dominating it. we are good in some other sports, mediocre in some, and downright lousy in some. Hopefully, Mr. Kraft changes that.
We have 107k show up for football with one of the highest tv rated schedules in the nation. We may not run national championships but that is ‘great’ in my book.

The money makers star football and basketball. We can win the next ten national championships in wrestling and that wouldn’t add up to one B1G championship in football

Hardly. Sports drives applications but not enrollments. Yes it’s the most visible element of a university.. Have you looked at the amount of federal research money that goes to these schools? UW gets $1.5b. It makes the media agreement look cheap. Big Ten schools received over $15b in 2021. PAC12 schools are second. There’s a reason they went west… top ACC schools Duke and UNC… GaTech #4. All over a billion $$$.

We have 107k show up for football with one of the highest tv rated schedules in the nation. We may not run national championships but that is ‘great’ in my book.

The money makers star football and basketball. We can win the next ten national championships in wrestling and that wouldn’t add up to one B1G championship in football
But we will win more national championships in wrestling. We’ve won 0 national championships in football since joining this corrupt cesspool of a conference, and only 4 conference titles in 30 freakin years. So, you hope beyond reason for our 4-14 Head Coach to pull ONE conference title out of thin air, while stating that 10national titles (far more likely as long as Cael is our head coach) isn’t worth as much.

you’re correct: the $1 million I have dreamed about would be worth a lot more than the $65 I have in my wallet.🙄. But reality, since it’s actually occurring (and occurred), far exceeds the hope and whimsical fantasies of something occurring that’s only happened 4 times in 30 years, and won’t again until Coach 4-14 reverses his historically inept performance.

I’ll play the odds, thank you.

But we will win more national championships in wrestling. We’ve won 0 national championships in football since joining this corrupt cesspool of a conference, and only 4 conference titles in 30 freakin years. So, you hope beyond reason for our 4-14 Head Coach to pull ONE conference title out of thin air, while stating that 10national titles (far more likely as long as Cael is our head coach) isn’t worth as much.

you’re correct: the $1 million I have dreamed about would be worth a lot more than the $65 I have in my wallet.🙄. But reality, since it’s actually occurring, far exceeds the hope and whimsical fantasies of something occurring that’s only happened 4 times in 30 years, and won’t again until Coach 4-14 reverses his historical inept performance.
I don’t disagree but this is about money and power. Wrestling doesnt move the needle. The wrestling program has been spectacular.

you’re correct: the $1 million I have dreamed about would be worth a lot more than the $65 I have in my wallet.🙄. But reality, since it’s actually occurring (and occurred), far exceeds the hope and whimsical fantasies of something occurring that’s only happened 4 times in 30 years, and won’t again until Coach 4-14 reverses his historically inept performance.

I’ll play the odds, thank you.
Name more than a handful of head coaches that could have navigated the post Sandusky nightmare. I certainly cannot. Most schools would have been buried for a few decades. Franklin has done extremely well.

San Francisco is the 6th largest media market. Stanford makes sense from both an academic prestige perspective and a media rights perspective. Love to see Stanford and Notre Dame as schools 19 & 20
Unfortunately the don’t make sense from a “media rights” perspective because (relatively) no one way watches their games. The Bay Area has a ton of people but not a lot of college sports fans.

Name more than a handful of head coaches that could have navigated the post Sandusky nightmare. I certainly cannot. Most schools would have been buried for a few decades. Franklin has done extremely well.
We disagree here. Urban, though I dislike him, for example would have crushed it.

Sure, except against the only 2 teams that truly matter. Hey, Coach 4-14 is the man if I need to beat Rutgers, or some up-jumped junior college like Memphis in a meaningless bowl game. But, if I want to win the conference by winning games vs the 2 golden children, not so much.

If that mattered so much then the Pac 12 would have been the most powerful and stable conference in the first place, having Cali (40 million or so), Oregon, Washington, Arizona, Colorado and Utah. Instead they lost 2/3 of their conference in a little over a year.

Yeah that I don't live in the past and I'm open to change. Sad.
Actually, your 'takes' are weak and you ruin threads, at least for myself.

It has nothing to do with living in the past. And I'm always open to change that moves in a net positive direction.

Actually, your 'takes' are weak and you ruin threads, at least for myself.

It has nothing to do with living in the past. And I'm always open to change that moves in a net positive direction.
Who says it's not positive? You're not open to it which proves my point. Anyone that is against an expanded playoff (like every other sport) and want to play historical rivals are living in the past. College football has been big business for decades. It doesn't diminish anything. It's just true.

Which cornfield did you raid to construct the strawman that you presented as my position?

Did you actually attend and acquire a degree from PSU or are you a TROLL?

I will not engage you further as this is the type of idiocracy that I disdain.

And is what precisely you do to too many threads that lose focus on the actual subject matter.

Good day.

Which cornfield did you raid to construct the strawman that you presented as my position?

Did you actually attend and acquire a degree from PSU or are you a TROLL?

I will not engage you further as this is the type of idiocracy that I disdain.

And is what precisely you do to too many threads that lose focus on the actual subject matter.

Good day.
You took the topic away from the subject to make it about me but yes blame others.

Also, yes I graduated from Penn State in 1999 but I'm not shocked you automatically assume someone isn't a graduate because bias doesn't blind them.

I think the only thing that would bring in Stamford and cal would be if the big did something radical — retool the big network as a much more comprehensive all-sports college channel a la the earliest days of ESPN. As it is now, it’s obviously heavily weighted to football and hoops, and fairly so. But at some point, one wonders if you could develop a niche of customers who are comprised of (I) niche sports viewers, a la the flo model, and (2) people who just want to see something “different”. Sounds crazy, but that is what good marketers are for. Stanford and cal could actually contribute to that (as do schools like Oregon).

I don’t really see it. Obviously, FSU wants to leave the ACC and is doing everything in its power to make it happen, but I don’t get how they money works out. What is the point in getting private equity involved? To raise the money to break the GOR? That would be so ridiculously costly that by the time you get increased revenues from a new conference then pay off the private equity investment that FSU would be worse off.

I feel like all the FSU bluster is just talk and nothing is happening for another decade there.
Not sure how the private equity would work. Even if you magically raise $120 mil and are okay with paying that you still have a GOR legal gauntlet in front of you.

I have heard that the most plausible legal strategy or maybe better referred to as the "Hail Mary" legal strategy is to band together with multiple other ACC schools (6 or 7?) and leave the ACC to force a dissolution of the conference like what is happening with the Pac 12. Then I guess the $120 mil exit fee and the GOR is out the window? That seems really far fetched and unrealistic. Clemson and FSU could perhaps do that having the SEC or B10 lined up as a willing partner to then accept them but the other schools would have no home. I also think the B10 is done expanding for at least a year. I think the implosion of the Pac 12 triggered this latest realignment but the ACC is more stable and it is extremely difficult to exit the ACC, this wasn't the case with the Pac 12.

Who says it's not positive? You're not open to it which proves my point. Anyone that is against an expanded playoff (like every other sport) and want to play historical rivals are living in the past. College football has been big business for decades. It doesn't diminish anything. It's just true.
I think you underestimate the potential negative impacts on cfb of moving to a super conference. There a lot of fans who will lose interest if their college or university isn't part of the superconfernce. And college football is already having issues with attendance, so I don't know why you would want to pile on and make it more user-unfriendly for a segment of fans.

I think you underestimate the potential negative impacts on cfb of moving to a super conference. There a lot of fans who will lose interest if their college or university isn't part of the superconfernce. And college football is already having issues with attendance, so I don't know why you would want to pile on and make it more user-unfriendly for a segment of fans.
They aren't targeting you. They're targeting younger fans.

All sports have an issue with attendance because the product is so good on TV that there's not much incentive to go other than for the atmosphere...which most of games are currently garbage.

The quality of the games are going to quickly improve and a loss or two won't eliminate you. It will make more game meaningful...especially for all programs not named Georgia or Alabama

Question for you guys although I'm pretty sure of the answer. With schools coming in the B1G at a partial payout - Oregon and Washingtod and I believe both Rutgers and Maryland also partials - I'm assuming that PSU got a full payout when they entered the B1G way back when. Wow, closing in on 35 years I believe.

I believe - reading the PSU boards - that Joe P was really pushing for PSU in the conference for awhile - correct ?

They aren't targeting you. They're targeting younger fans.

All sports have an issue with attendance because the product is so good on TV that there's not much incentive to go other than for the atmosphere...which most of games are currently garbage.

The quality of the games are going to quickly improve and a loss or two won't eliminate you. It will make more game meaningful...especially for all programs not named Georgia or Alabama
Targeting younger fans could be problematic. I fully expect there to be big issues for media companies when the boomers and gen xers die off. Heck, there are problems even now according to Disney.

Even if the quality of the games does improve somewhat, am I going to be as interested if my college is relegated to some second-tier conference? How many people are packing the Yale Bowl these days?

Targeting younger fans could be problematic. I fully expect there to be big issues for media companies when the boomers and gen xers die off.

Even if the quality of the games does improve somewhat, am I going to be as interested if my college is relegated to some second-tier conference? How many people are packing the Yale Bowl these days?
But that's who they have to get long term. You and others talk about how this may hurt your interest but they don't care about you (or me).

Let's pretend the Big XII is the second tier...I'm still watching those games and their playoff. They have future NFL players and it's a good quality of football. People still watch Army-Navy and all G5 games are already tier 2. If people will watch Penn State Delaware they'll watch Kansas-Colorado.

Rutgers and MD took a partial payment, but that ends in 2027. I'm guessing that the new Pac12 teams will also receive partial share for a while, but not as long as Rutgers. Maybe that was what was happening the other day and OU was leveraging better terms.

But that's who they have to get long term. You and others talk about how this may hurt your interest but they don't care about you (or me).

Let's pretend the Big XII is the second tier...I'm still watching those games and their playoff. They have future NFL players and it's a good quality of football. People still watch Army-Navy and all G5 games are already tier 2. If people will watch Penn State Delaware they'll watch Kansas-Colorado.
I agree, they need that younger generation or there is going to be a lot of recalibration going on. I saw some quote somewhere from a tv executive who said the younger generations are what keep him up at night. Who knows, maybe the younger folks will become bigger sports fans as they age into their 30s and 40s.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT