ADVERTISEMENT

Roommate_drama_lands_Penn_State_sorority_sisters_in_federal_court

It is identified in the article:

Alpha Sigma Alpha

As I recall, your sons are frat guys at PSU. Ask them about the situation. While the suit in federal court just happened this week, the story is rather old, and most of the kids in Greek life that I've spoken with were aware of it, and knew the girls.

Tom: Yeah, my guess is that the twins have in fact heard of this dispute. It is probably a subject of some discussion within the PSU Greek system, as it appears to have blown up over the summer.. Two sorority girls, one of whom is on "Rack Radar" (love that name, particularly since I have no daughters), big donor parents, federal lawsuit. What's not to like? I will be interested to learn what becomes of their plans to rent an apartment together. It appears that neither girl is disposed to give up her share of that apartment.

Plus, the undergraduates are just getting back to State College. Today is move in day for a whole lot of them. Syllabus "Silly" Week next week. I'm guessing ASA is on the radar screen of a number of PSU fraternities, if it wasn't so previously.

From having your bedroom door chainsawed in half to a fire extinguisher under the door. Usually led to a "boxing match" and the other 40-50 getting screwed out of their security deposit at the end of the school year.
Were you in the Sammie house? I've heard some good stories about that place.

Familiar names, all good guys.... a couple years behind me. How do you know them?
Met them all YEARS ago. My wife's sorority (Chi O) socialized quite a lot with the Fijis while they were in school, and later tailgated with them a lot as young alums.

BTW, I keep hearing reports that Fiji is a "dry house." I find them hard to credit. That certainly was not the case back in the day, and I doubt it is now.

Met them all YEARS ago. My wife's sorority (Chi O) socialized quite a lot with the Fijis while they were in school, and later tailgated with them a lot as young alums.

BTW, I keep hearing reports that Fiji is a "dry house." I find them hard to credit. That certainly was not the case back in the day, and I doubt it is now.

Yes, we had a good relationship with Chi O, along with a couple other sororities.
I think Fiji is dry now due to some problems they had a few years ago with people drinking and leaving the house drunk. And, a horrible incident maybe 5-6 years ago where a young person who had been drinking at a couple places, including Fiji, fell in a university building stairwell after he left and died from his injuries. But I think most of the houses are dry now. Or at least the ones on campus.
But you're right, that was far from the case back in the day. One reason to join a fraternity was that you had access to beer in house via the frequent parties, and unless something went completely sideways, you were left alone to enjoy the social life and we looked out for each other. And other than one time that turned out to be much ado about nothing, nothing ever went sideways with non-Fijis. We did have some issues with members who got a bit crazy inside the house when they were drinking - stuff like they would break into the kitchen and the freezer and cook up a bunch of the next week's meals for themselves, then leave the mess for someone else to clean. PITA, handle it internally stuff mostly.
We had enough guys in the house with the smarts and the savvy to step in before things ever went too far. Most of us realized we had something good and didn't want to mess it up. And if a non-Fiji football player came in and caused problems that couldn't be settled with some player-to-player reasoning, the house President and a player from the house would request an audience to see JVP, and that was the end of any problems with that other player. JVP did not mess around with players getting out of line - they ran gassers and/or spent time in the infamous doghouse or did something memorable to make sure they thought better the next time. But usually a player would step in and stop a situation involving another player from escalating.

Anyway, hope your sons are enjoying their time and here's to a great year for them.

I am certainly not very tech savvy but somehow, having a window with this thread open in it prompted that window to be redirected to a site called "Barstool Sports." Had never heard of that site before, but a bunch of pictures popped up under the title "Emily from Penn State." Sure looks like Molly Brownstein to me, assuming that is the name of the girl pictured earlier in this thread. If I was her dad, I'd be profoundly unhappy right now.

http://www.barstoolsports.com/barstoolu/barstool-u-friday-morning-smokeshow-emily-from-penn-state/

I am certainly not very tech savvy but somehow, having a window with this thread open in it prompted that window to be redirected to a site called "Barstool Sports." Had never heard of that site before, but a bunch of pictures popped up under the title "Emily from Penn State." Sure looks like Molly Brownstein to me, assuming that is the name of the girl pictured earlier in this thread. If I was her dad, I'd be profoundly unhappy right now.

http://www.barstoolsports.com/barstoolu/barstool-u-friday-morning-smokeshow-emily-from-penn-state/

Generation Me.

Reactions: Nitt1300

If I were her dad's best friend I would be thinking bad thoughts.

Reactions: Peetz Pool Boy
Lololololololololol. Are you serious, Clark? Take a walk down frat row the Friday before a game, if you dare.
Think a couple of the houses on Burrowes may possibly be exceptions to that general rule.

Lololololololololol. Are you serious, Clark? Take a walk down frat row the Friday before a game, if you dare.

well, Cousin Eddie, I did also say that it might be restricted to the houses on campus. But last I heard, those houses on campus were dry. Maybe not. The houses out on Fraternity Row may get less scrutiny and have more leeway as a result. Good for them.... the social life is a great part of being in a fraternity.
They reclaimed the grounds and tore down the Phi Delt house after a series of violations. Had a good number of friends over there.
A few years ago, there was a strong push to make the fraternities comply with the consumption laws. I think that part of that was to try to make the fraternity system dry, or at least make it tougher to come back if a violation was caught. Could be wrong on that, I haven't followed it.
Glad I could give you a good laugh. Not sure why it was that funny, but good for you!

Looks like they're ASA alpha Sigma alpha. I dated an ASA my last year, a died in the wool Italian girl from Philly. That girl had a dirtier soul than I could ever hope for . However I don't ever remember all seeing breaststroke like that anywhere on campus in the mid 80s

Reactions: simons96
Is "full on" the new "awesome" in the jive of the young? My favorite :eek: Chevy commercials with focus-group Potch and his minions feature a guy who points out a "full on crack" in the bed of a competing truck when they dump a bucket of anvils into it. I have a full on crack in my driveway, and now this chick is in a full on terrible place. It's enough to make me want to start every sentence with "So."
I get full on nails 'across a chalkboard' everytime I hear Jamie Farr saying 'EK cetera' in that Verizon commercial. It's 'ET cetera', Jamie.

I once dated a woman who used the EK mispronunciation. She was the Associate Dean of Graduate Studies at a university, a PhD. After several corrections that didn't take, I broke up with her. My already shaky sanity was at stake. I couldn't take it anymore. Kind of like the Seinfeld girl who ate her peas one pea at a time. These things happen.

Last edited:
She just needs to give out a couple motorboats and she'll get what she wants...

She just needs to give out a couple motorboats and she'll get what she wants...

3774641_o.gif

I get full on nails 'across a chalkboard' everytime I hear Jamie Farr saying 'EK cetera' in that Verizon commercial. It's 'ET cetera', Jamie.

I once dated a woman who used the EK mispronunciation. She was the Associate Dean of Graduate Studies at a university, a PhD. After several corrections that didn't take, I broke up with her. My already shaky sanity was at stake. I couldn't take it anymore. Kind of like the Seinfeld girl who ate her peas one pea at a time. These things happen.

Wasn't there a Seinfeld episode where Elaine broke up with her boyfriend over punctuation ?

Trying to imagine what the female members of this Board are thinking as they go through this thread. A mixture of amusement, disgust, and morbid fascination, perhaps?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT