ADVERTISEMENT

Rolex DateJust or Omega Aqua Terra

My dad left me a beautiful 1960 18kt gold Zenith. It’s insured for $4000 based on gold weight. I will never sell it but I would love to get it repaired. About 10 years ago I was winding the action and a spring broke, so now it just sits in the safe.
Just sold my SS Daytona in the fall. It was produced when Zenith did the movement for the Daytona. Enjoyed it for over 20 years and sold it for 2.5 x what I paid for it. Wish I had more.

I'd go Rolex.

Just as an aside, I have always wanted a luxury watch. I have my grandfather's watch, which was not luxury by brand but it is by emotion/nostalgia now. But I did buy a mid-1960s Swiss watch that was "broke" by description on Ebay a bit ago. Five years later and 3 watch makers, including a complete refurbishment, and it is gorgeous and worth in the low 1000s (per Kranich's on Atherton at latest battery change). In short, for amateur antique pickers like me, watches or not, you never know...

Reactions: smealpsu2005
Both are great watches. In my option the Rolex is a cliche so I would go with omega which is the hotter brand right now.
Non watch people will be impressed with the Rolex, watch people willlike the omega because it shows discerning taste.
Also look at the IWC.

I just don't know how you pick one watch. I can't do it. I want it different every day, and with different straps too. But I am hung up on this Seiko Arnie watch right now.

If I had to buy an expensive watch right now, Omega looks like the coolest brand. They seem more tool-oriented as opposed to fashion-oriented. Of the two watches featured here, I'd pick the Omega.

And I hate date windows. I don't know why they still have those but they blow.

Just sold my SS Daytona in the fall. It was produced when Zenith did the movement for the Daytona. Enjoyed it for over 20 years and sold it for 2.5 x what I paid for it. Wish I had more.
Do you have an idea where I can get this watch serviced? I believe that Zenith is still in business but I’m not going to Switzerland anytime soon.

Do you have an idea where I can get this watch serviced? I believe that Zenith is still in business but I’m not going to Switzerland anytime soon.

I get my watches serviced at RGM watches. Roland has built the only tourbillion with a US movement. They only service high end stuff. They can fix anything including perpetual calendars, tourbillions, minute repeaters, so real serious expensive stuff. They are a certified repairer for many manufacturers. Zenith IDK in particular. But it shouldn't pose a problem. Plus you are sending it directly to a repair site. Otherwise you take it to a jeweler and they charge a middle man mark up. If you have a Tourneau in your area, they are reputable dealer of many high end time pieces. Or you could go to Govberg as Nitwit said. They are reputable new and pre-owned watches . IDK if they do their own repairs on site or send them out.

RGM- call and talk to Vikki
https://www.rgmwatches.com/repair

Last edited:
Rolex has a repair center in Lititz, PA!

Also think about your maintenance costs. Rollie’s going to need service every 5 years or so at about 1k. Don’t know bout the Omega costs .
Also any of the high end natural leather bands wear Sort of quickly if you wear them daily . Natural sweat breaks those puppies down . Factory leather replacements aren’t cheap . Metal bracelets are practically indestructible. Be careful not to get deep gouges on them , everything else can polish out .
Other than a Patek Phillipe , nothing will appreciate as reliably as the Rolex .
It’s always worthwhile to get on the wait list with your jeweler for the SS Daytona if you buy a DJ. You can always flip those for more than you paid since there’s always a few year wait . If they throw you that bone .

Both are great watches. In my option the Rolex is a cliche so I would go with omega which is the hotter brand right now.
Non watch people will be impressed with the Rolex, watch people willlike the omega because it shows discerning taste.
Also look at the IWC.

But you have to pronounce Omega as oMEga like James Bond (Daniel Craig).

Rolex has a repair center in Lititz, PA!
The Lancaster center and I think the other is in Texas, but I don't think you can walk up there and say hey fix my watch. Rolex did and might still have a big repair center in Greenfield office complex. They try and keep these things quiet as they have millions of dollars of inventory at any point in time. The watch building/repair school in Lititz is a very unique option in the USA. It's unaffiliated but financially supported by Rolex.
school.....
https://www.jckonline.com/editorial...hool-opens-at-new-rolex-site-in-pennsylvania/

Last edited:
Reactions: Delco Lion
Exactly!

The Lancaster center and I think the other is in Texas, but I don't think you can walk up there and say hey fix my watch. Rolex did and might still have a big repair center in Greenfield office complex. They try and keep these things quiet as they have millions of dollars of inventory at any point in time. The watch building/repair school in Lititz is a very unique option in the USA. It's unaffiliated but financially supported by Rolex.
school.....
https://www.jckonline.com/editorial...hool-opens-at-new-rolex-site-in-pennsylvania/

I get my watches serviced at RGM watches. Roland has built the only tourbillion with a US movement. They only service high end stuff. They can fix anything including perpetual calendars, tourbillions, minute repeaters, so real serious expensive stuff. They are a certified repairer for many manufacturers. Zenith IDK in particular. But it shouldn't pose a problem. Plus you are sending it directly to a repair site. Otherwise you take it to a jeweler and they charge a middle man mark up. If you have a Tourneau in your area, they are reputable dealer of many high end time pieces. Or you could go to Govberg as Nitwit said. They are reputable new and pre-owned watches . IDK if they do their own repairs on site or send them out.

RGM- call and talk to Vikki
https://www.rgmwatches.com/repair
This was very helpful, thank you.

Reactions: katchthis
All knowing board...I am in the market for my first “luxury” watch. I narrowed my choices to the Rolex DateJust 41mm with blue dial and the Omega Terra Aqua 41.5mm with blue dial. I think both look great, but I do favor the DJ at this point. Anyone else have one or the other? Thanks!
Trying to overcompensate for a small penis?

I love omega and own 4. Currently I'm looking into a Rolex. One current issue with Rolex is the fact they cant make movements fast enough. The stainless steel sport models are hard to find. Google rolex supply problems and you'll find lots of info. If you find one you like now get it because it may not be there the next day. Also rolex has one of the best resale values and some models you can double your money...good luck

Reactions: MWes11
Large watches are in style....thanks to the rapper community. I prefer 42 44mm....also easier to read with older eyes.

I love omega and own 4. Currently I'm looking into a Rolex. One current issue with Rolex is the fact they cant make movements fast enough. The stainless steel sport models are hard to find. Google rolex supply problems and you'll find lots of info. If you find one you like now get it because it may not be there the next day. Also rolex has one of the best resale values and some models you can double your money...good luck
I just learned that lesson. Found out this evening that the Rolex DJ with the jubilee bracelet that I liked sold two days ago. It's okay though, I contacted the dealer to inquire about the same watch but with the oyster bracelet. I like that more. I now have a few dealers trying to find that for me.

Reactions: Greg80
Apple sold more watches last year than all Swiss Watchmakers combined. If you want a watch that does a hell of a lot more than the date and time I would spend my $ there. I use the hell out of mine. It has saved lives in emergencies, has tons of fitness workouts, ECG, heart rate and you can take or make calls if you opt for that.

Apple sold more watches last year than all Swiss Watchmakers combined. If you want a watch that does a hell of a lot more than the date and time I would spend my $ there. I use the hell out of mine. It has saved lives in emergencies, has tons of fitness workouts, ECG, heart rate and you can take or make calls if you opt for that.
Absolutely. I have a few apple devices so no need for the apple watch too. But it's very useful.

While the apple watch has its place there is nothing like a fine swiss timepiece. Goggle A.Lange Sohne watches and look at the detail of craftsmanship, movement etc....way out of my price range...but beautiful.

Reactions: smealpsu2005
Personally, I'm a big fan of Rolex, but in this case, my heart leans toward the Omega Terra Aqua. There's just something about its sleek design that catches my eye! Making that luxury watch choice is like choosing between two dream cars, right? I'm no expert, but I think you can't go wrong with either choice. By the way, have you considered checking out pawn brokers for luxury watches? I stumbled upon www.newbondstreetpawnbrokers.com, and they seem to offer some great options. Whatever you decide, it's all about rocking that wrist candy with confidence!

Last edited:
Also look at the IWC.

Great example of someone talking out their a$$. Rolex values the last few years have skyrocketed, almost every Omega released over that time period is available below retail. Typing this with a Speedmaster on my wrist. Hope the OP got the Rolex.

Rolex holds its value way more than Omega. Both awesome watches, but get the DJ if you can afford it. My last purchase was a Tudor Black Bay 58. Didn't want to splurge on a Rolex, so got that. Love it. Only thing I don't love is the snowflake. Besides that, great watch. Also have a Speedmaster, which is great, too.

Rolex holds its value way more than Omega. Both awesome watches, but get the DJ if you can afford it. My last purchase was a Tudor Black Bay 58. Didn't want to splurge on a Rolex, so got that. Love it. Only thing I don't love is the snowflake. Besides that, great watch. Also have a Speedmaster, which is great, too.

I want to like Tudor but I can't stand the Snowflake. Love the Pelagos otherwise. Next watch purchase will probably be for my 40th in a few years. Debating getting on the waitlist for the new Explorer and hoping one comes in at my dealer.

I want to like Tudor but I can't stand the Snowflake. Love the Pelagos otherwise. Next watch purchase will probably be for my 40th in a few years. Debating getting on the waitlist for the new Explorer and hoping one comes in at my dealer.
100% agree but I got such a good deal on the Tudor that I couldn't pass it up. Let me know how the Explorer works out. Great piece.

Who is your local AD if you don't mind me asking?

100% agree but I got such a good deal on the Tudor that I couldn't pass it up. Let me know how the Explorer works out. Great piece.

Who is your local AD if you don't mind me asking?

They're owned by a family friend of my in-laws so I'd rather not say. I probably jumped the line on my last purchase (31 mm Turquoise OP). Only 3 months from going on the waitlist to having the watch in hand. My local AD wouldn't even add me to their list, said the watch would be discontinued before they got through all the names waiting for one. Slightly surprising for a women's watch but I guess its the Tiffany Patek Junior in a lot of peoples eyes.

They're owned by a family friend of my in-laws so I'd rather not say. I probably jumped the line on my last purchase (31 mm Turquoise OP). Only 3 months from going on the waitlist to having the watch in hand. My local AD wouldn't even add me to their list, said the watch would be discontinued before they got through all the names waiting for one. Slightly surprising for a women's watch but I guess its the Tiffany Patek Junior in a lot of peoples eyes.
Yeah no worries at all. Wasn't sure if you were located in the Camp Hill/Harrisburg area and we might've had the same one, lol.

Get the Rolex. Surprised you can walk in and buy one. Difficult to do in most areas. AD’s have display only watches and zero inventory. If you see it and like it buy it. Do not wait or think you can come back later.

Yeah no worries at all. Wasn't sure if you were located in the Camp Hill/Harrisburg area and we might've had the same one, lol.

Nope. Live in Chicago and the store is even further west than that.

Unrelated. Hope OP isn't still deciding 3 years later.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT