ADVERTISEMENT

Rolex DateJust or Omega Aqua Terra

smealpsu2005

May 8, 2003
All knowing board...I am in the market for my first “luxury” watch. I narrowed my choices to the Rolex DateJust 41mm with blue dial and the Omega Terra Aqua 41.5mm with blue dial. I think both look great, but I do favor the DJ at this point. Anyone else have one or the other? Thanks!

All knowing board...I am in the market for my first “luxury” watch. I narrowed my choices to the Rolex DateJust 41mm with blue dial and the Omega Terra Aqua 41.5mm with blue dial. I think both look great, but I do favor the DJ at this point. Anyone else have one or the other? Thanks!
I’d go with the Franklin Rolodex. It’s allegedly good for hiring assistant coaches, but not so great for coaching-related responsibilities like knowing when to use “time outs”. :oops:

If you get afford the best, do it. Rolex.

Reactions: smealpsu2005
You should post some photos. The date just is iconic, the Omega, not so much. Both are excellent watches. I like your choice of the blue dial and sizes. Just try them both on and go with the one which makes your heart race. I think the hands and indices on the Omega are more attractive. The Rolex will probably cost a lot more. Have you looked at other brands which are not copied quite so much? Personally in that range I would favor the IWC Portifino.
This might help.

Last edited:
Also think about your maintenance costs. Rollie’s going to need service every 5 years or so at about 1k. Don’t know bout the Omega costs .
Also any of the high end natural leather bands wear Sort of quickly if you wear them daily . Natural sweat breaks those puppies down . Factory leather replacements aren’t cheap . Metal bracelets are practically indestructible. Be careful not to get deep gouges on them , everything else can polish out .
Other than a Patek Phillipe , nothing will appreciate as reliably as the Rolex .
It’s always worthwhile to get on the wait list with your jeweler for the SS Daytona if you buy a DJ. You can always flip those for more than you paid since there’s always a few year wait . If they throw you that bone .

Last edited:
Pick the watch you want ...
That said I don’t like either and would get Panerai
All the cool Panerais are the diving watches. I had the Sly Stallone for a couple years . The most comfortable bands are the natural rubber, IIRC . So a whole different look .

Reactions: ClarkstonMark
From and investment point of view, Rolex is the best. Their resale value is outstanding. Not so much for the Omega. In any event, check out that part of it. I just saw a used Rolex date just for $5500. Checked it out and the price is spot on. Expensive but it can be justified. Research the Rolex company's view on supporting used watch prices. Personally, I'd get a simple watch and invest the money in either Bitcoin or pure gold.

You should post some photos. The date just is iconic, the Omega, not so much. Both are excellent watches. I like your choice of the blue dial and sizes. Just try them both on and go with the one which makes your heart race. I think the hands and indices on the Omega are more attractive. The Rolex will probably cost a lot more. Have you looked at other brands which are not copied quite so much? Personally in that range I would favor the IWC Portifino.
This might help.

You can always change the dial or the bezel on the Rolex and get a completely new new down the road or at initial order .

This might help.

Been on the board since 2003 and still don’t know to place pics. The Rolex is around 2k more. It’s the blue dial, jubilee strap, smooth bezel and Roman numerals. I like the Roman numerals

Reactions: MWes11
Been on the board since 2003 and still don’t know to place pics. The Rolex is around 2k more. It’s the blue dial, jubilee strap, smooth bezel and Roman numerals. I like the Roman numerals
The Rolex is a great watch, but I hate the width (aka “chunkiness”) of the five minute indicators relative to the size of the minute/hour hands themselves.

Rolex should resize the 5 minute indicators so that they’re more proportionately scaled.

Last edited:

I’ve got the datejust and highly recommend it. I had it serviced after seven years for $550 which included a $100 off coupon. Only problem I had was my watch became magnetized. I took it to the dealer and they demagnetized it free of charge.

Soft spot for the Omega. My watch is my Grandfather's 67 Seamaster (exactly like this one) and it still does its job:

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Also think about your maintenance costs. Rollie’s going to need service every 5 years or so at about 1k. Don’t know bout the Omega costs .
Also any of the high end natural leather bands wear Sort of quickly if you wear them daily . Natural sweat breaks those puppies down . Factory leather replacements aren’t cheap . Metal bracelets are practically indestructible. Be careful not to get deep gouges on them , everything else can polish out .
Other than a Patek Phillipe , nothing will appreciate as reliably as the Rolex .
It’s always worthwhile to get on the wait list with your jeweler for the SS Daytona if you buy a DJ. You can always flip those for more than you paid since there’s always a few year wait . If they throw you that bone .
Wife has a Rolex, not the same model. you are correct on maintenance, 1K but roughly every 3 years. Was in Mexico and bought a Citizens Eco Drive, not the same class as those you are considering, cost $400 and I love it, titanium band.

Suggest you might change the definition of a 'luxury watch' -- actually it is not. You are attempting to choose a 'TIMEPIECE' that will last years, and possibly be gifted to a child that will appreciate the value in the lasting quality, not so much the name.
Have had Cartier (too heavy), Patek Phillipe (costly to repair) and Omega (still wonderful after 18 years) -- for history, tradition, serviceability if necessary, you might wish to choose the choice of Rory and George ……….choose the Omega !!

Smeal... you should collect them by watchmaker . So far I have one each:
  • Patek Philippe.
  • Audemars Piguet.
  • Vacheron Constantin.
  • Tag Heuer.
  • Lange & Söhne.
  • Jaeger-LeCoultre.
  • Rolex.
  • Hublot.
That is the plan. Just trying to decide what I want to start with.

Reactions: eidolon21
My dad left me a beautiful 1960 18kt gold Zenith. It’s insured for $4000 based on gold weight. I will never sell it but I would love to get it repaired. About 10 years ago I was winding the action and a spring broke, so now it just sits in the safe.

I went down this road late last year. I did not pull the trigger in the end after much deliberation. Looked at Tag, Rolex, Breitling, and one other that alludes my memory at this moment.

It depends on your "racket"! I worked and managed a fish hatchery for close to 40 years and did not have a to impress anyone, needing only dependability. My CITIZEN Eco-Drive never missed a "tick" despite being under water "at least" hundreds of times.
'
'

how does one post a pic?

The watch isn't to impress anyone. Just for me and what I want. Not looking for comments on what is on my wrist, i know what will be on my wrist. However, I do hear there is a stigma or judgment with what one puts on their wrist. I don't know, haven't had anything on my wrist since undergrad and it was no Rolex :)

Reactions: Nitwit
Why did you not purchase?

I have a few nice watches right now (not to the level of those) and I barely wear those. At the end of the day, even though I could afford to spend the money, I just decided that I would rather spend that money on something that I will use more or some sort of trip, rather than an expensive watch that will just sit. I don't have any kids to pass it down to or anything like that.

how does one post a pic?

The watch isn't to impress anyone. Just for me and what I want. Not looking for comments on what is on my wrist, i know what will be on my wrist. However, I do hear there is a stigma or judgment with what one puts on their wrist. I don't know, haven't had anything on my wrist since undergrad and it was no Rolex :)
I did kind of sound judgemental and for that I apologize! I could have articulated better.

I understand resale value and all that, but ultimately you are making this purchase because you want one and you’re treating yourself. Get the one that calls to you, practicality be damned. I think this is one of those times to make an emotional rather than data driven decision.

Reactions: Nitwit
I understand resale value and all that, but ultimately you are making this purchase because you want one and you’re treating yourself. Get the one that calls to you, practicality be damned. I think this is one of those times to make an emotional rather than data driven decision.
You're absolutely right. As my best friend told me, don't try to justify the purchase because you can find a $30 casio down the street that keeps better time than any swiss watch. This is about pure indulgence, nothing more or nothing less.

Reactions: diontechristmas
I bought/sold/traded watches for many years. Bottom line is get the watch you like the most. Our opinions are not yours One suggestion is the jubilee bracelet is very shiny and catches a lot of light while the oyster doesn't as much. Also, you don't need to service for about ten years unless there is a problem. Good luck.

While I understand the Rolex resale factor, I much prefer the look of the Omega. At $2k less, it would be a no brainer for me. I’m on my 3rd Tag Heuer, which I realize is nowhere the quality of your 2 choices, but my next watch will be either an Omega or Breitling.

Omegas are nice watches. I do like my Submariner that I got in 2008. The only times I've taken it off have been for several surgeries, colonoscopies, and when I am out and about in Jamaica. It was a gift so there wasn't too much thought put into why I got it.

It does run a little fast. Got it cleaned/polished for $300 last year by a second generation jeweler and Bulova School of Watches grad with 30+ years experience with Rolex's. He's done thousands of these watches and saved me $700.

I bought/sold/traded watches for many years. Bottom line is get the watch you like the most. Our opinions are not yours One suggestion is the jubilee bracelet is very shiny and catches a lot of light while the oyster doesn't as much. Also, you don't need to service for about ten years unless there is a problem. Good luck.
Bingo on the service. Modern Swiss watches have good enough lubricants and manufacturing these days. You don’t have the issues that plagued mechanical watches decades ago.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT