ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Sam Wyche

Technically, the quote was "You don't live in Cleveland, you live in Cincinnati!!!"

December 10, 1989. The funny thing is - the Bengals weren't even playing the Browns that day. They were playing the Seahawks.

One of the reasons why he said that is because Browns fans would throw all shorts of things, including batteries, at the Bengal players while playing in Cleveland. I was at the Bengals/ Seahawks game.

He was a great coach and very innovative!

One of the reasons why he said that is because Browns fans would throw all shorts of things, including batteries, at the Bengal players while playing in Cleveland. I was at the Bengals/ Seahawks game.

Read an article about the guys in the dog pound that used to carry in the dog house on the wooden slats on their shoulders game after game . One day cops finally noticed it was hard carrying in , and a breeze going out . Guys had been carrying in a keg everyday . Nice !

Yes, Wyche was innovative. The 1988 Bengals were a great team and the no-huddle was a part of that - that is, until the NFL actually made it illegal prior to the AFC Title game (Marv Levy was bitching about it like crazy prior to the game)! I remember the Seahawks faking injuries all over the place in the AFC Conference semifinal the week prior.

I was surprised, in looking it up, that Wyche had a career losing record as Bengals coach and only made the playoffs 2 times in 8 years. Didn't expect that. They really should have won the January 1989 Super Bowl.

One other note - the Bengals game immediately AFTER the "You don't live in Cleveland, you live in Cincinnati!" game was the infamous 61-7 win over Houston. That's where Wyche spent the 4th Quarter (1) ordering on-side kicks, (2) running halfback reverse passes and (3) calling timeouts in the final seconds on a 10-degree afternoon. Blatant running up of the score! Good, Jerry Glanville was a thug and deserved it!

Last edited:
Read an article about the guys in the dog pound that used to carry in the dog house on the wooden slats on their shoulders game after game . One day cops finally noticed it was hard carrying in , and a breeze going out . Guys had been carrying in a keg everyday . Nice !
LOL, that's absolutely true. I have posted about that here before because I saw it first hand for myself and have relatives in Cleveburgh that sat nearby the Dawg Pound. The Browns let it go for way too long.

They threw Milk Bone Dog Treats at first but then it escalated to batteries and other $hit. It got way out of hand and resulted in BottleGate in 2001. Click to the 2:00 mark in this video. They let the Dawg Pound get WAY out of hand!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 91Joe95
Very innovative coach who caused the nfl to change many rules. It was a shame when he lost his voice, he could have easily coached in the nfl many more years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT