ADVERTISEMENT

report: Saban retiring

He didn’t want to deal with the NIL and transfer portal BS.
Maybe--that's as good as guess as any but he seemed to love the expanded playoff scenario and they'd have been in it every year. He is 72 though so it could be a ton of other things as well. Hopefully it's not health related.

Can't wait to see who they hire.

I think the top 3 would be Dabo, Lane, and DeBoer. Kirby is at his alma mater, Lanning has more NIL $ at Oregon. I can't think of any other guys. Crazy pressure, especially following the best ever. Too much transfer portal and NIL bull crap. Dabo has made a great career at his new place in Clemson, so I am not sure he wants to go back home. Lane might be the guy who goes.

What does a short list even look like for a job like this? All I can think of that comes close is Kirby and Dabo.

They have to give Kirby a call, but he'll say no.

Dan Lanning. Lane Kiffin. Maybe Dabo -- although his stock has fallen. A real wildcard is Urban Meyer. Very unlikely, but Urb would probably take that job even though I doubt Bama would want him unless all other options fall through.

Reactions: NedFromYork
I think the top 3 would be Dabo, Lane and DeBoer. Kirby is at his alma mater, Lanning has more NIL $ at Oregon. I can't think of any other guys. Crazy pressure, especially following the best ever. Too much transfer portal and NIL bull crap.
Josh Heupel maybe...
But I don't think they get that far down the list

Kirby shouldn't. I wouldn't want Dabo.
Bill O'Brien lol kidding but maybe Kiffin
Yeah, why would he? The state of Georgia is a HS recruiting powerhouse and he doesn't really need to leave the state to put together a NC contender, That state is just CF crazy. Plus, I just feel that Georgia - right now - is every bit as good of a program as Alabama - maybe even better

Reactions: dswartz
They have to give Kirby a call, but he'll say no.

Dan Lanning. Lane Kiffin. Maybe Dabo -- although his stock has fallen. A real wildcard is Urban Meyer. Very unlikely, but Urb would probably take that job even though I doubt Bama would want him unless all other options fall through.
Those first four names are pretty much how I see it. Pretty much everyone else doesn’t make sense or doesn’t have the resume except DeBoer perhaps?

Actually DeMeco Ryans should probably be their second call after Kirby. I know he's never coached in college and doubt he leaves Houston but he'd be an elite recruiter if he wanted to.

They could obviously do worse. He's taken over for a legend and done it more or less successfully. Not many can say that. Unless you're responding to the Franklin part.
The Franklin part--not that I think they will go after him but if their list is only 3-5 people maybe they do

Those first four names are pretty much how I see it. Pretty much everyone else doesn’t make sense or doesn’t have the resume except DeBoer perhaps?
Despite our complaints sometimes, Franklin has been more successful in the Big Ten than Saban was IMO, and was also successful in the SEC previously. Imagine if he had Alabama-level talent.

Despite our complaints sometimes, Franklin has been more successful in the Big Ten than Saban was IMO, and was also successful in the SEC previously. Imagine if he had Alabama-level talent.
No disrespect to Franklin, but I don’t think he has the resume or background to be considered. He’s a good recruiter and has a conference championship but consistently falls short against Ohio State and Michigan. Every SEC team can recruit well and there’s no guarantee Alabama remains the top dog in the SEC after this. Dan Lanning is pretty much Franklin but has ties to Saban/Alabama.

Here’s the way I see it:

- Kirby Smart: Coached at Alabama, won two national championships
- Dabo Swinney: Played at Alabama, won two national championships
- Dan Lanning: Coached at Alabama, up-and-comer with upside you take the chance on if they above two decline
- Lane Kiffin: Coached at Alabama, “safe” option if the above three decline

And that’s pretty much it. I think DeBoer should be considered, but even he’s risky given his limited P5/FBS track record and has zero Alabama/Saban connections. Again, no disrespect to Franklin, but it’s a very unique opening.

Edit: I’d say the same thing about Mike Norvell, Mike Freeman, or even someone like Lincoln Riley. They’re good coaches, but I think they’re a tier below this job.

Last edited:
From Pete Thamel on radio........"With no likely internal replacements at Alabama, here is a quick projected target list. Dan Lanning, Dabo Swinney, Mike Norvell or.........wait for it...........James Franklin......................

GDg7BxoXUAALy8s.png

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT