ADVERTISEMENT

report: Saban retiring

GDg7BxoXUAALy8s.png
That’s pretty crazy. Wow. Good find

Reactions: psu00 and MacNit2.0
Thamel reported that Oregon's Dan Lanning, Washington's Kalen DeBoer, Clemson's Dabo Swinney, Penn State's James Franklin, Florida State's Mike Norvell, and Notre Dame's Marcus Freeman are all names to look out for. Each of those coaches all have an elite pedigree, and are among the best recruiters in the game.

Was not being serious. This may be the first major opening in awhile we don't hear any Franklin rumors about though.
I’m sure we will hear something, the media folks can’t help themselves and they’re the ones that always bring Franklin’s name up.

No disrespect to Franklin, but I don’t think he has the resume or background to be considered. He’s a good recruiter and has a conference championship but consistently falls short against Ohio State and Michigan. Every SEC team can recruit well and there’s no guarantee Alabama remains the top dog in the SEC after this. Dan Lanning is pretty much Franklin but has ties to Saban/Alabama.

Here’s the way I see it:

- Kirby Smart: Coached at Alabama, won two national championships
- Dabo Swinney: Played at Alabama, won two national championships
- Dan Lanning: Coached at Alabama, up-and-comer with upside you take the chance on if they above two decline
- Lane Kiffin: Coached at Alabama, “safe” option if the above three decline

And that’s pretty much it. I think DeBoer should be considered, but even he’s risky given his limited P5/FBS track record and has zero Alabama/Saban connections. Again, no disrespect to Franklin, but it’s a very unique opening.

Edit: I’d say the same thing about Mike Norvell, Mike Freeman, or even someone like Lincoln Riley. They’re good coaches, but I think they’re a tier below this job.
Franklin's teams are built on solid defense - a must for SEC championships. Might as well hire Lincoln Riley if you're hiring Kiffin. I think Lanning's resume is a little light. Plus I'm sure Saban will have some say over his successor. I imagine the way Lane left didn't sit well with him. Nick expected him to finish the job, but Steve Sarkisian replaced Kiffin to close out the season. Sark had Texas in the CFP this year. I think he'd be a more likely candidate at Alabama than Kiffin. His past drinking could be an issue, and Texas can likely throw any amount of money at him (same for Oregon and Lanning, though Phil Knight is getting up there).

I was somewhat kidding about Franklin, btw, trying to talk Alabama into taking him so we can make a run at DeBoer before Michigan or Ohio State does. I'd for sure put him behind Smart and Swinney, but I think he's not that far behind.

I am shocked that he would allow himself to be sent into the sunset by the Michigan cheaters. Certainly, the balance of power down south will be shifting.

How big a turnaround was Saban's hiring for Alabama? The 17 years before Saban, Alabama was 113-80 which equates to 59%. That the thing, everybody acts like Alabama has been a POWERHOUSE for several decades - not true. They had some really bad teams (especially for them) before they hired Nick Saban

Franklin's teams are built on solid defense - a must for SEC championships. Might as well hire Lincoln Riley if you're hiring Kiffin. I think Lanning's resume is a little light. Plus I'm sure Saban will have some say over his successor. I imagine the way Lane left didn't sit well with him. Nick expected him to finish the job, but Steve Sarkisian replaced Kiffin to close out the season. Sark had Texas in the CFP this year. I think he'd be a more likely candidate at Alabama than Kiffin. His past drinking could be an issue, and Texas can likely throw any amount of money at him (same for Oregon and Lanning, though Phil Knight is getting up there).

I was somewhat kidding about Franklin, btw, trying to talk Alabama into taking him so we can make a run at DeBoer before Michigan or Ohio State does. I'd for sure put him behind Smart and Swinney, but I think he's not that far behind.
Good call on Sark, completely forgot about him. I’d put him in there in place of Kiffin, who really doesn’t have much a resume but was a long-time Alabama assistant and sitting (and somewhat successful) SEC head coach.

How big a turnaround was Saban's hiring for Alabama? The 17 years before Saban, Alabama was 113-80 which equates to 59%. That the thing, everybody acts like Alabama has been a POWERHOUSE for several decades - not true. They had some really bad teams (especially for them) before they hired Nick Saban
He'll go down as one of the best, if not the best, college football coach of all-time.
What he did at Bama changed the expectations for everyone at a major program.

They canceled a two game series with PSU because they felt their program wasn't up to competing with us. Anyone else remember that. Must have been early 2000's.

He'll go down as one of the best, if not the best, college football coach of all-time.
What he did at Bama changed the expectations for everyone at a major program.
I can't stand Alabama or the whole SEC for that matter and pull against them in all major OOC matchups and the bowls. But, if I'm being fair, Saban is the GOAT. What he did at Alabama is unmatched.

They canceled a two game series with PSU because they felt their program wasn't up to competing with us. Anyone else remember that. Must have been early 2000's.
Without going back and looking at their record, yeah, I remember Alabama having some really, really bad teams in the early 2000s ------ and then came Saban

Reading rumors that Saban’s wife is sick and this (retirement) was totally unexpected. Rumor

Saban is an excelleno doubt. But to put him in the all time great category, I’m not there. Virtually every time his Alabama teams stepped on the field,

Oops, If you have the best players every time you step on the field, are you the best coach in history? I don’t think so. Great recruiter, yes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT