ADVERTISEMENT

report: Saban retiring

Doubt it. He won’t go anywhere until his girls are done with high school. And if they go to PSU he will stay until they graduate. Family is huge for him,
Then there will be some on the board hoping they take a lot of AP classes, graduate in 3 years or less and do any graduate work they may decide on elsewhere.

Thamel reported that Oregon's Dan Lanning, Washington's Kalen DeBoer, Clemson's Dabo Swinney, Penn State's James Franklin, Florida State's Mike Norvell, and Notre Dame's Marcus Freeman are all names to look out for. Each of those coaches all have an elite ped

Those seem to be ones most of us can rattle off if asked. This was not one of Saban’s strongest staffs and there are certainly no internal candidates worthy of consideration.

I don’t think it will be Dabo. He’s been a Clemson so long and can only hurt his legacy at Bama.

They want Sark I’m sure but he would be crazy to leave. Texas has more money for NIL (significantly so) and more local players. Let’s not forget Alabama is still a mediocre school from the Deep South that doesn’t have close to Texas money.

They have to call Lane, don’t they? I really think he’s the most logical choice. I would talk to Lanning next.

Last edited:
I’m going to predict it’s Mike Norvell. I’m. Not sure any of the other top guys being mentioned would actually take the job. Norvell would leave FSU in a heartbeat given their current situation in the ACC

Oops, If you have the best players every time you step on the field, are you the best coach in history? I don’t think so. Great recruiter, yes.
You're in the very small minority that won't put him in that category
Look at A&M--Saban coaches up his guys and makes them the best--he also always surrounded himself with the best coaches
Saban, love or hate him, is one of the best, if not the best, ever.

Those seem to be ones most of us can rattle off if asked. This was not one of Saban’s strongest staffs and there are certainly no internal candidates worthy of consideration.

I don’t think it will be Dabo. He’s been a Clemson so long and can only hurt his legacy at Bama.

They want Sark I’m sure but he would be crazy to leave. Texas has more money for NIL (significantly so) and more local players. Let’s not forget Alabama is still a mediocre school from the Deep South that doesn’t have close to Texas money.

They have to call Lane, don’t they? I really think he’s the most logical choice. I would talk to Lanning next.
I still think DeMeco Ryans is going to get thrown in the mix here.
A black coach, not yet 40, that played in the NFL and at Bama who just took a team that many thought was the worst in the league to the playoffs....
Ryan is almost too good to be true.

Kiffin and Lanning are the two though I think we'll hear the most.

Reactions: diontechristmas
I’m going to predict it’s Mike Norvell. I’m. Not sure any of the other top guys being mentioned would actually take the job. Norvell would leave FSU in a heartbeat given their current situation in the ACC
He would--I think that would be a let down for Bama but logical

Media is reporting it is Dan Lanning. Some insiders are saying he is in Alabama negotiating the final contract.

GDg7BxoXUAALy8s.png
Amazing. I knew both coached at OSU, but didn't know their careers were linked. Saban was fired after the defense gave up 600 yards to Illinois and considered his firing unfair and he considered totally leaving coaching.

that will cause a few dominoes to drop

His lake house on Lake Burton in Georgia is outrageous, amazing, opulent. Fill in whatever superlative you want here. he obviously has all the money he needs. maybe he just had enough of the rat race and saw the writing on wall with portal and NIL that he no longe had sole dominion like he did past decade.

His lake house on Lake Burton in Georgia is outrageous, amazing, opulent. Fill in whatever superlative you want here. he obviously has all the money he needs. maybe he just had enough of the rat race and saw the writing on wall with portal and NIL that he no longe had sole dominion like he did past decade.
He sees the powerhouse Franklin is building, We're going back-to-back in a few years. At least that's what a simulation of the next 5 seasons some guy did on youtube showed.

Heard he was paid over $120,000,000 million while at bama. But they made over a billion.

Add in what he makes on endorsements with all his commercials, appearance fees, …. Did he have a book deal?

Here’s another debate we had on our board: Steve Sarkisian makes a lot of sense (Saban assistant, won Big 12 at Texas). But is Alabama even the better job in the age of NIL? Texas in the SEC might be the top gig, especially now that Ewers is returning next season.

Here’s another debate we had on our board: Steve Sarkisian makes a lot of sense (Saban assistant, won Big 12 at Texas). But is Alabama even the better job in the age of NIL? Texas in the SEC might be the top gig, especially now that Ewers is returning next season.
Speaking of your board, I have a question for you…do any Pitt fans, while trashing how bad the teams in the Big 10 are and how easy they are to beat, ever look at Pitt’s record against Big 10 teams? In case they don’t, I will fill you in, it’s awful. So if Penn State has only been beating crappy teams all these years, how come Pitt can’t beat these same crappy teams?

No, I don’t even see it as needing debate.

Speaking of your board, I have a question for you…do any Pitt fans, while trashing how bad the teams in the Big 10 are and how easy they are to beat, ever look at Pitt’s record against Big 10 teams? In case they don’t, I will fill you in, it’s awful. So if Penn State has only been beating crappy teams all these years, how come Pitt can’t beat these same crappy teams?
Since I see you were recently active on our board, you should ask them yourself. You’re more than welcome to join the conversation. :)

Edit: In all seriousness, Pitt football is on the back of my mind until (hopefully) June, maybe August depending on how the Bucs do. I’m all-in on the Steelers and Pens right now. The record is awful, oh well.

Last edited:
I think I agree with you. At this point, I see Alabama as the third best job in the SEC behind Texas and Georgia.
I feel Bama was good due to having great coaches and trying harder than most other schools. And once the momentum got going it snowballed. I’m 43, so I didn’t experience the Bryant era, and before Saban, Alabama wasn’t really on my radar. In the 90’s Miami, FSU, Florida, Tennessee were the big southern programs.

Bama and Oklahoma are maybe comparable to me. Football has been very important to both schools and they put more effort into being successful than pretty much all their peers. At one point, both states wanted dominant football programs to instill pride back in their residents and legitimize their boys nationally. Both programs have had multiple legendary coaches, maybe due to luck or maybe due to great management (or both). But, neither program has inherent geographic or financial advantages. Both states have good talent, but not top tier. They’re adjacent to top talent producing states. Neither school is particularly rich or unique. The NIL game will really change things for the schools with the really big buck booster, so long as they have competent coaches and administration.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Interestingly, football scoop is reporting Mike Locksley and Eli Drink (Mizzou) are also in the mix. I haven’t seen these names mentioned elsewhere. Locksley of course was a Saban assistant for quite a few years, and the report said many former players and some key boosters are lobbying hard in his favor.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Interestingly, football scoop is reporting Mike Locksley and Eli Drink (Mizzou) are also in the mix. I haven’t seen these names mentioned elsewhere. Locksley of course was a Saban assistant for quite a few years, and the report said many former players and some key boosters are lobbying hard in his favor.
Locksley seems crazy to me. He is a good recruiter though.

Reactions: diontechristmas
I feel Bama was good due to having great coaches and trying harder than most other schools. And once the momentum got going it snowballed. I’m 43, so I didn’t experience the Bryant era, and before Saban, Alabama wasn’t really on my radar. In the 90’s Miami, FSU, Florida, Tennessee were the big southern programs.

Bama and Oklahoma are maybe comparable to me. Football has been very important to both schools and they put more effort into being successful than pretty much all their peers. At one point, both states wanted dominant football programs to instill pride back in their residents and legitimize their boys nationally. Both programs have had multiple legendary coaches, maybe due to luck or maybe due to great management (or both). But, neither program has inherent geographic or financial advantages. Both states have good talent, but not top tier. They’re adjacent to top talent producing states. Neither school is particularly rich or unique. The NIL game will really change things for the schools with the really big buck booster, so long as they have competent coaches and administration.
Yep, you’re on the ball. I don’t think they’ll ever go away (especially Alabama because they at least have a solid revering base), but I wouldn’t be surprised to see those trend in a Nebraska-like direction over time.

Texas A&M is a wildcard because they have just as much money, if not more, than UT, but they’ve apparently lacked the competent coaches and admin that you mentioned. I mean what’re the odds a national championship-winning coach flames out, especially after landing one of the best recruiting classes ever?

Yep, you’re on the ball. I don’t think they’ll ever go away (especially Alabama because they at least have a solid revering base), but I wouldn’t be surprised to see those trend in a Nebraska-like direction over time.

Texas A&M is a wildcard because they have just as much money, if not more, than UT, but they’ve apparently lacked the competent coaches and admin that you mentioned. I mean what’re the odds a national championship-winning coach flames out, especially after landing one of the best recruiting classes ever?
We totally agree. I can’t figure A&M out either. Recent coaching hires seemed to be good moves on paper. My best guess is that they’ve never had that big run to cement them as a program with cache with recruits. I think that’s what the top kids are after besides the cash. The pride of going to the hot program on the block, but enough $ can certainly cancel that out.

Since I see you were recently active on our board, you should ask them yourself. You’re more than welcome to join the conversation. :)

Edit: In all seriousness, Pitt football is on the back of my mind until (hopefully) June, maybe August depending on how the Bucs do. I’m all-in on the Steelers and Pens right now. The record is awful, oh well.
I’ll pass, I can live without being called a pedo simply because of the school I went to. I used to participate there until I got banned for predicting Pitt would lose a game (which they did lose).

Reactions: The Spin Meister

He would be quickly banned.

We totally agree. I can’t figure A&M out either. Recent coaching hires seemed to be good moves on paper. My best guess is that they’ve never had that big run to cement them as a program with cache with recruits. I think that’s what the top kids are after besides the cash. The pride of going to the hot program on the block, but enough $ can certainly cancel that out.
That’s a good point, especially since (as you pointed out) Alabama’s dynasty was a result of them taking off once the momentum started rolling.

Not true; he has/had over 1,000 posts on our board. I’m also not sure he was banned if it’s showing he was viewing a thread as recently as an hour ago.
I was banned, but back when the system was changed, everyone got reinstated on any board they were banned from. I haven’t posted on there since then. I go and read some of the threads once in a while, but I never post anymore.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT