ADVERTISEMENT

Ref gets caught with hot mic in Flyers game

There were two especially egregious games against Iowa as well. 2002 was the game where Paterno lost it and chased after the ref -- all the press coverage was about Paterno losing it and not nearly enough about how a midwestern crew led by a ref who was actually from Iowa (who made that crew assignment, I wonder) handed Iowa call after call in that game. Paterno's anger was justified in that case. The other one was 2008 in Iowa City, it was a tough close game and Scirotto beat the receiver and made a great INT in the 4th Q -- that wasn't going to stand with a midwestern crew. Things are better today, most of the old boys are gone and TV replays are so ubiquitous they just can't get away with shit, they take too much heat if they try. But the 1990s and 2000s were tough, PSU was the only outsider in the conference and the officials let them know that just about every single week.
Dick Honig (the ref from Iowa 2002) was not from Iowa.

They don't publicly announce when they move on from someone, but that doesn't mean they weren't fired. Here at Penn State, Jerry Dunn wasn't fired. Rene Portland wasn't fired. But just because google doesn't list instances of NFL officials not being brought back doesn't mean that there aren't guys that lose their jobs for poor performance every year.
Was the ref who made that horrific call or no call against the Saints vs the Rams in the NFC championship game ever fired or not asked to return or whatever? That was criminal and I wanted the Rams to win! That one warranted more investigation.

Was the ref who made that horrific call or no call against the Saints vs the Rams in the NFC championship game ever fired or not asked to return or whatever? That was criminal and I wanted the Rams to win! That one warranted more investigation.
Looks like the Side Judge that missed the call worked 2 more years in the league, but didn’t get another playoff game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT