ADVERTISEMENT

Recruits postseason is underway

Speaking about above situation. In PA has a any wrestler competed in states that was "home schooled". ? I would think that might be a work around on transfer rules?
Just wondering?
Homeschooled students can participate in extra-curricular activities in the school district where they live. Just like the kids that are enrolled in the school district. I don't see this as much of an opportunity to work around the transfer rules. But I do like the thought of parents being so desperate to do so that they homeschool their kids. :p

I would guess that there have been several homeschooled wrestlers who have qualified for states. I believe I know of one personally. To be fair, I'm not 100% sure if he enrolled in the public school when he got to high school.

Reactions: Sullivan
BTW, need someone else to post updates thru next weekend.

Am going on vacation tomorrow. Will check in periodically but not tracking closely.

Fingers crossed for no significant delays at PHL airport with the overnight snow. As-is we're landing in Las Vegas after dinner tomorrow night, going to see U2 at The Sphere on Sunday.
Pat McAfee said the U2 show in the sphere was terrible ... they played songs nobody knew? How was your experience?

Homeschooled students can participate in extra-curricular activities in the school district where they live. Just like the kids that are enrolled in the school district. I don't see this as much of an opportunity to work around the transfer rules. But I do like the thought of parents being so desperate to do so that they homeschool their kids. :p

I would guess that there have been several homeschooled wrestlers who have qualified for states. I believe I know of one personally. To be fair, I'm not 100% sure if he enrolled in the public school when he got to high school.
That's what I assumed. I was wondering if a kid ever petition PIAA to go unattached that was home schooled and use his club coaches. If it hasn't happened somebody will try. Haselrig was able to participate because high school dropped wrestling.
Footnote, Bangor had a multiple PIAA medalist in swimming. They don't even have a swim team or a pool in district for competition. He trained and swam during Nazareth meets🤨

Chance, correct?

That's what I assumed. I was wondering if a kid ever petition PIAA to go unattached that was home schooled and use his club coaches. If it hasn't happened somebody will try. Haselrig was able to participate because high school dropped wrestling.
Footnote, Bangor had a multiple PIAA medalist in swimming. They don't even have a swim team or a pool in district for competition. He trained and swam during Nazareth meets🤨
I'm sure there's someone else who can give a better answer. But I think the Haselrig situation was a special petition to the PIAA to allow it. The PIAA bylaws say that home-schooled students are eligible only at the public school where they reside. Of course, the school district might have a co-op with another school district or something like that. Perhaps, that is the Bangor/Nazareth swimming situation that you reference. Or perhaps Bangor did "offer" swimming even though it didn't seem like it. (They seem to have swimming listed on their website currently.)

Chance, correct?
Chance was home-schooled? I didn't know that. I was referring to a family friend.

The Clymer brothers from Northwestern Lehigh were all home schooled, with Caleb, Scott, and Ben all winning state titles. Ben is now the head coach at Faith Christian.

The Nazareth/Bangor situation sounds like what Matthew Kolodzik did in Ohio. Before he was at Blair, he won a state title for Miami Valley, a little D3 school in southwestern Ohio that didn’t have a wrestling team. They let him enter tournaments and represent the school as the only member of the wrestling team, then he practiced with St. Paris Graham, that was relatively close by and in a different division. I know things like that happen in Philly - Miles Lee was a one man team when he medaled at states. I think he just practiced out of Beat the Streets. And I’ve had schools in the city tell me that they’ll let kids wrestle independently but they don’t have a co-op with other schools or a set team, so they’d have to practice and travel on their own, but they could represent the school at events.

The swimming example happens in several sports in HS (swiming, golf, T&F, etc.). The "sending" school can work to coordinate competitions with the neighboring school, but the students compete for their own school, not a co-op, but shared competition dates.

Pat McAfee said the U2 show in the sphere was terrible ... they played songs nobody knew? How was your experience?
McAfee is a pot-stirring dolt. Anybody who has ever seen U2 can guess most of their playlist. Plus Bono always does something different.

It was an incredible experience, though a good but not great concert. Glad I went, and I'd encourage others with the right expectations.

The Sphere is awesome. Incredible acoustics and graphics. It demands a performer with command and creativity and energy. U2 absolutely nailed 2 of the 3.

The problem with this concert was the playlist -- specifically, they played 5 or 6 low-energy songs in a row in the middle of the set. NO! This event requires energy. Mix in one here or there, but not a long stretch of it.

Also, expect them to play nothing from Joshua Tree or earlier -- that is, the music that made them great before they went bubble gum pop. You might get some Joshua Tree but don't expect it. This isn't new and shouldn't be a surprise.

McAfee is a pot-stirring dolt. Anybody who has ever seen U2 can guess most of their playlist. Plus Bono always does something different.

It was an incredible experience, though a good but not great concert. Glad I went, and I'd encourage others with the right expectations.

The Sphere is awesome. Incredible acoustics and graphics. It demands a performer with command and creativity and energy. U2 absolutely nailed 2 of the 3.

The problem with this concert was the playlist -- specifically, they played 5 or 6 low-energy songs in a row in the middle of the set. NO! This event requires energy. Mix in one here or there, but not a long stretch of it.

Also, expect them to play nothing from Joshua Tree or earlier -- that is, the music that made them great before they went bubble gum pop. You might get some Joshua Tree but don't expect it. This isn't new and shouldn't be a surprise.
I would think the song Bad would be great for that setting. But that was pre Joshua Tree 😕

Reactions: El-Jefe
Speaking about above situation. In PA has a any wrestler competed in states that was "home schooled". ? I would think that might be a work around on transfer rules?
Just wondering?

I'm not a 100% sure but I had seen somewhere that Solomon Chishko was home schooled after transferring from Penn Trafford to Canon-McMillan. The team also included transfers Macri and Weirchoch. All were members of Quest School of Wrestling that is in North Strabane Twp. part of the Canon-McMillan school district. The other 2 I believe their families relocated to the school district and attended classes at the high school. Chishko rented and after graduation his younger brother went back to Penn Trafford.

Reactions: Callthestall
Just wondering?
I heard that Weiss is being home schooled this year.. Still wrestles for Jersey Shore High School.. Both of his parents have degrees in education.

Reactions: Creek Side
It's funny because I went to The Joshua Tree anniversary tour on 2017. When they played the music from side 2 of the vinyl album, most of the people around me were seemingly totally unfamiliar with the songs. I assume that was due to the fact those songs aren't played on "classic rock" radio.

It's funny because I went to The Joshua Tree anniversary tour on 2017. When they played the music from side 2 of the vinyl album, most of the people around me were seemingly totally unfamiliar with the songs. I assume that was due to the fact those songs aren't played on "classic rock" radio.
I think too many vintage performers disappoint the audience by not playing primarily the hits of their career. A friend of mine saw Van Morrison in New York a few years ago. He played one classic, Moondance all night.😕
I took my kids probably 10 years ago to see Fleetwood Mac with the classic lineup. It was great, started with The Chain and ended with Christie on Grand Piano doing Songbird. In between was hit after hit. My kids became fans that night because of the setlist.

I think too many vintage performers disappoint the audience by not playing primarily the hits of their career. A friend of mine saw Van Morrison in New York a few years ago. He played one classic, Moondance all night.😕
I took my kids probably 10 years ago to see Fleetwood Mac with the classic lineup. It was great, started with The Chain and ended with Christie on Grand Piano doing Songbird. In between was hit after hit. My kids became fans that night because of the setlist.
This x1000

I've heard some vintage performers talk about how they grow tired of playing their old hits. I probably would too.

But if you're going to go on tour in big venues and charge ticket prices that can make you the millions you were used to making when you could sell records, then suck it the f up and play the songs the people want to hear. Otherwise, go play at the Fillmore and cater to the fanatics who will sit around and dissect what they love about an album like "Emotional Rescue."

Of course, we are the real problem continuing to shell out $500+ to see bands that are going to play what they want instead of what we want.

This x1000

I've heard some vintage performers talk about how they grow tired of playing their old hits. I probably would too.

But if you're going to go on tour in big venues and charge ticket prices that can make you the millions you were used to making when you could sell records, then suck it the f up and play the songs the people want to hear. Otherwise, go play at the Fillmore and cater to the fanatics who will sit around and dissect what they love about an album like "Emotional Rescue."

Of course, we are the real problem continuing to shell out $500+ to see bands that are going to play what they want instead of what we want.
I saw Billy Joel last October, he opened with a statement that the bad news is he didn’t have any new material, the good news is we didn’t have to sit through him doing new material when we wanted to hear his hits!

Side B of Joshua Tree is way better than the hits anyway. In God's Country, One Tree Hill, Exit, and Mothers Of The Disappeared are my favorite songs on the album.

Side B of Joshua Tree is way better than the hits anyway. In God's Country, One Tree Hill, Exit, and Mothers Of The Disappeared are my favorite songs on the album.
I'm with you. I was so excited to be getting to see those songs played but the folks around me were all lost in their phones. Definitely took a lot of the excitement away.

This x1000

My corollary to this is when you get to your biggest hit, I paid to hear you sing it, not the crowd. Every band stops singing to let the crowd sing during their biggest songs. F that. I can hear drunks butcher it in the bar for free. Every single concert I went to was the same thing.

I saw Billy Joel last October, he opened with a statement that the bad news is he didn’t have any new material, the good news is we didn’t have to sit through him doing new material when we wanted to hear his hits!
"But if memories were all I sang, I'd rather drive a truck." Ricky Nelson Garden Party 1972

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
I saw Michael Cavanaugh, who played The Piano Man in the Broadway hit Movin' Out, at Founders Hall on the Milton Hershey School campus last weekend. The Hershey Symphony played along with his band. They did every Billy Joel hit I could remember. Fantastic show. Having a full symphony playing made it extra special

Michael was hand picked for Movin' Out by Billy Joel.

My thoughts are if you are charging extortionate prices because your old-ass fans can afford it, you should play the shit that they actually know.

My corollary to this is when you get to your biggest hit, I paid to hear you sing it, not the crowd. Every band stops singing to let the crowd sing during their biggest songs. F that. I can hear drunks butcher it in the bar for free. Every single concert I went to was the same thing.
Also I get to hear your band play those songs.

Years ago I attended a U2 concert where Bono brought out a "great guitarist" to play some song. It was Springsteen.

WTF. Bono has a far superior guitarist in his own band.

Then again, U2's pop songs are an enormous waste of The Edge's talent.

Obviously you're a huge U2 fan. I loved the whole Joshua Tree album but the average rock fan wouldn't have the same feelings for that music .Springsteen has showed up at a few of their concerts in Philadelphia, Meadowlands, and New York. Bono has also walked on at a few of Springsteen shows.
The one thing that I do enjoy is when a performer covers someone else's song in concert. Kid Rock is notorious for covering someone from the area he is playing at. When he's in Detroit he'll do Bob Seger. Down south he'll do Skynard or Marshall Tucker.
I know this is a wrestling forum, but these off shoot topics is what makes this forum good. It's like having a well rounded conversation at the local social club.
All walks of life make up this board. Sorry to the wrestling fanatics.

Going on right now. PSU has Desmond, Lilledahl, Sealey, and Henckel all competing. Desmond and Lilledahl are into the semis with Sealey and Henckel about to wrestle their quarterfinal match

Lilledahl, Sealey, and Henckel should all win their weights. Desmond should see DeLuca in the finals who has his number so far. Hopefully Desmond can turn it around

I'm sure there's someone else who can give a better answer. But I think the Haselrig situation was a special petition to the PIAA to allow it. The PIAA bylaws say that home-schooled students are eligible only at the public school where they reside. Of course, the school district might have a co-op with another school district or something like that. Perhaps, that is the Bangor/Nazareth swimming situation that you reference. Or perhaps Bangor did "offer" swimming even though it didn't seem like it. (They seem to have swimming listed on their website currently.)

Chance was home-schooled? I didn't know that. I was referring to a family friend.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT