ADVERTISEMENT

Really old school: PSU at Navy. 1969

watch who you call "old" sunshine- that was my sophomore year at Penn State

My senior year. Notice the kicking tee used on field goals and extra points. NCAA banned their use in 1989... 30 years ago

This game was on TV, if I remember from my youth. Watching this clip brought back some memories for me! Some thoughts that my fellow fartes d'olde will relate to:

Charlie Pittman, Franco Harris, and Lydell Mitchell in the same backfield, sharing time, all extremely productive and outstanding RBs. 3 RBs sharing the ball. Hmmm.

The old and dearly beloved Penn State 4-4 Defense. The DEs stood up, playing squared up to the line to help with contain. Their first job was to get upfield and turn the plays back into the outstanding D Line (Reid and Smear at DT) and LBs (including Onkotz and Kates). That was some defense! The best 11 in the country, and the reserves woulda probably been in the Top 10! In an era of run-first offenses, the 3 DBs could take care of the opponents' passing game, especially when the QBs were usually under pressure when they dropped back.

The old and dearly beloved PSU 'scissors' play on Offense... the staple of the running game and highly effective because the O Line was dominant and the backs got to the holes rather quickly.

Chuck Burkhart (#22) at QB. All he did was win. Effective with the passing game, a true game manager, a respected leader on the field.... that was the game in the 60s when the passing game rules regarding offensive holding were far more restrictive and punitive. Notice the WRs lined up in a 3-point stance, which would not change for another ~15 years.

That team deserved to be #1. I count 1969 among our NCs. I'm pretty sure Joe and the team and staff did so as well.

I had graduated in '67 and was working in Annapolis, so I saw that game. Walked to the game from my residence. Did a lot of walking in those days :)

Loved that "box" formation with our DEs.

69 was my SO year as well.
Joe spoiled me, with 2 perfect seasons in 68 and 69 .
Still don't understand why we ever have to lose a game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT