ADVERTISEMENT

Really feel bad for

Yea, I agree. However, he really needs to hit the weight room during the off season in addition to working on a go to shot. I honestly thought he'd pull it out but it was just to much after being unable to do any wrestling for so long.

Me too. What did surprise me is that he looked better in his debut against Lehigh. Maybe he had a bug, or was just mentally defeated when he saw his progress falling short of where he knew it needed to be.

I think most of Nick's issue was not being in wrestling shape. He couldn't trust his conditioning after being out for so long. Technique gets really sloppy when you're tired. I was surprised at how well he did after being out for so long. He wrestled good quality heavyweights and was in all of his matches. I see this as a good building block for his future.

Yea, I agree. However, he really needs to hit the weight room during the off season in addition to working on a go to shot. I honestly thought he'd pull it out but it was just to much after being unable to do any wrestling for so long.
Yes. The weight room is the WHOLE key for Nick...He also needs to hit a maturity streak. These better guys at heavy weight are like grown men....Must loss some body fat and hit the weights hard !!!!

Nick Nevills, just not enough time for him to get into wrestling shape.

Admire Nevills' strong desire to get back on the mat but it appears he simply wasn't ready for Prime Time, Intercollegiate Open results notwithstanding, and that Cael's instinct to medically redshirt under the assumption this year's team is strong enough to win the B1G and NCAA's without a heavyweight could well prove correct.

Last edited:
...lest we forget ...

...it's impossible to build strength while rehabbing a torn pectoral muscle ... and in fact probably the whole upper body musculature actually atrophied when it was idle...

Yes. The weight room is the WHOLE key for Nick...He also needs to hit a maturity streak. These better guys at heavy weight are like grown men....Must loss some body fat and hit the weights hard !!!!
A maturity streak would remove about 99% of us from this board.

Just a reminder that Nevills suffered a broken foot (broken in 3 places) and 90% torn pec within 8 months of each other. Normal S&C work is impossible with either injury. The torn pec prevents all 5 of the basic strength-building lifts: squats, deadlifts, bench, overhead press, pullups; plus any cardio beyond long walks. The broken foot prevents all lower-body exercising except possibly some light, short-duration stationary bike work.

He was in considerably better shape at last year's Scuffle, before the broken foot. Need evidence?
http://www.flowrestling.org/video/7...state-vs-denzel-dejournette-appalachain-state

I'm confident that his conditioning and body composition will be considerably improved after this offseason.

...lest we forget ...

...it's impossible to build strength while rehabbing a torn pectoral muscle ... and in fact probably the whole upper body musculature actually atrophied when it was idle...
He just starting back lifting a month ago....Nick is a great kid BUT at this weight class he needs to mature more....For those who have talked to him they know what i mean....Betting bigger and stronger in the weight room will help big time....

I feel bad for any of our wrestlers who have their maturity questioned publicly for the sin of suffering wrestling-inflicted injuries.

And I feel bad for clueless posters who write such callous, ignorant, insensitive drivel ... multiple times, no less.

bottom line Nevills just did not have the strength, quickness and confidence. That will happen when you really have not been able to train for well over a year. A hard weight program, quickness training offseason and I am hopeful he will return to the Stud we all know he can be!!

I feel bad for any of our wrestlers who have their maturity questioned publicly for the sin of suffering wrestling-inflicted injuries.

And I feel bad for clueless posters who write such callous, ignorant, insensitive drivel ... multiple times, no less.
Yes, hell has frozen over because I'm about to defend Spyker: I believe he meant physical maturity.

Reactions: LHavenlion
Yes, hell has frozen over because I'm about to defend Spyker: I believe he meant physical maturity.
Chief, I get that, but it presumes Nevills wasn't physically mature before the 2015 Scuffle. It's poor wording by the poster, not an unusual occurrence.

Reactions: Azchief32
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT