ADVERTISEMENT

Ray Blehar....MM caught in lie?

When you omit the "I don't know what you call it" you are purposefully being dishonest. Just like the OAG.

You are just playing with words. This is like the old "with the benefit of hindsight" canard.
Paterno was told and there is no way to spin that no matter how much you try.

You are just playing with words. This is like the old "with the benefit of hindsight" canard.

I guess you are bad at language too. Words are very important.

"With the benefit of hindsight" isn't a "canard"; it is an important qualifier.

I put "canard" in quotes because you are using that word wrong. Canard means unfounded rumor or belief. Paterno said those words in that order, therefore it is not a canard.

Reactions: Zenophile
To people like you it is open to interpretation. For sane people it is very clear.

hmmm, that's an interesting perspective to take.

If you believe GMJ you are sane but if you don't you are not ?????

Wow

How about another perspective, it doesn't matter. Joe doesn't matter. He was not and still should not be a focus in this situation even one iota (whatever an iota is) - he did what he should have. For those of you who cannot get it thru your head that is an undeniable FACT right now - he did the right thing so forget about him and focus on what really went wrong!

Why a small group of you focus on him is kind of creepy. I'm not sure why you would focus all of your efforts on the guy who did the right thing and actually helped convict JS - and further, somehow try and make him out to be a bad guy - that is just beyond me.

I guess you are bad at language too. Words are very important.

"With the benefit of hindsight" isn't a "canard"; it is an important qualifier.

I put "canard" in quotes because you are using that word wrong. Canard means unfounded rumor or belief. Paterno said those words in that order, therefore it is not a canard.

Tell me the difference between "I should have gone to grad school." and "With the benefit
of hindsight, I should have gone to grad school.". And thinking "With the benefit of hindsight"
changes the meaning of Paterno's statement is an unfounded belief.

hmmm, that's an interesting perspective to take.

If you believe GMJ you are sane but if you don't you are not ?????

Wow

How about another perspective, it doesn't matter. Joe doesn't matter. He was not and still should not be a focus in this situation even one iota (whatever an iota is) - he did what he should have. For those of you who cannot get it thru your head that is an undeniable FACT right now - he did the right thing so forget about him and focus on what really went wrong!

Why a small group of you focus on him is kind of creepy. I'm not sure why you would focus all of your efforts on the guy who did the right thing and actually helped convict JS - and further, somehow try and make him out to be a bad guy - that is just beyond me.

You are part of the small cult that constantly starts threads about Paterno. I simply try to
add some sanity to the conversation.

Tell me the difference between "I should have gone to grad school." and "With the benefit
of hindsight, I should have gone to grad school.". And thinking "With the benefit of hindsight"

I agree; you should have gone to graduate school and beefed up your language skills ;-)

Here is the difference (and why it absolutely does change the meaning):

"With the benefit of hindsight, I should have gone to graduate school" means: knowing what I know now (e.g. I can't get the job I want/I'm in the wrong field/I love learning/chicks dig PhDs), I should have gone to graduate school.

"I should have gone to graduate school" could mean the same thing (stated in a more ambiguous way), or it could mean that I knew at the time that I should have gone to graduate school, but I did not because I was too lazy/lacked focus/followed my girlfriend to Paris/couldn't afford it, etc.

Between you and jive, there is some serious need for remedial language skills.

You are part of the small cult that constantly starts threads about Paterno. I simply try to
This thread wasn't even about Paterno until you and your cronies made it about Paterno.

This thread started about how the OAG is corrupt and MM's story may have changed even more times than we thought. That is only tangentially related to Paterno.

hind·sight
ˈhīn(d)ˌsīt/
noun
noun: hindsight
  1. understanding of a situation or event only after it has happened or developed.
    "with hindsight, I should never have gone"

You are showing your hindsight bias here.

If a co-worker came up to you and said, "Osprey Lion, I saw this guy that used to work with you the other night, and he was screaming at this little kid. I think he even slapped him in the face!", what would you do? My guess is that you'd probably do nothing. It's not wrong. Neither would I.

Now, if you heard this account, then later heard that the guy in question was accused of beating the ever loving shit out of dozens of kids, even hospitalizing some, would that surprise you? Do you think you should get in trouble for hearing about your co-worker's account, and doing nothing? Or would you have known the guy was a hard core child abuser once you heard the account from your co-worker?

I think it's clear that in using HINDSIGHT, you should have done something with the report of what your co-worker witnessed. His report to you did not sound off alarms that the person in question was a hard core child abuser, but in HINDSIGHT, it could/should have.

Last edited:
I agree; you should have gone to graduate school and beefed up your language skills ;-)

Here is the difference (and why it absolutely does change the meaning):

"With the benefit of hindsight, I should have gone to graduate school" means: knowing what I know now (e.g. I can't get the job I want/I'm in the wrong field/I love learning/chicks dig PhDs), I should have gone to graduate school.

"I should have gone to graduate school" could mean the same thing (stated in a more ambiguous way), or it could mean that I knew at the time that I should have gone to graduate school, but I did not because I was too lazy/lacked focus/followed my girlfriend to Paris/couldn't afford it, etc.

Between you and jive, there is some serious need for remedial language skills.

Look at the definition above that one of your cronies so generously posted.

Now I’m a “cult” member ?

Hmmm- I don’t recall starting any threads about Joe

I only offer expertise based on my 30 year career including 24 in the non profit sector and having been responsible for HR and Compliance as well as writing CPSL procedures to educate folks on what is truly important - and guess what - it ain’t Joe Paterno

Thanks for proving my point.

In what bizarro world does that prove your point???

That completely disproves your point (that adding that phrase doesn't change the meaning of the sentence).

I'm at a loss at to whether you are being purposefully dim to troll us or if you are really this obtuse. I guess I hope it is the former (?)

Paterno was told a soft version of McQueary's already soft story. Even Dranov testified that MM didn't say anything worthy of calling the police. Regardless, Paterno followed university and now NCAA policy and reported it to the athletic director and the person who oversaw university police.

There's no way to spin that no matter how much you try.

Last edited:
Except, of course, Joe said "wish" not "should". There's a large meaning in difference there.

To answer the latter question, under the current PA law the Principal would be criminally liable for not reporting.

As to the former, it has not been established that there was a report of a sexual assault. The plea agreements of Tim and Gary are based on their inaction of Paterno's "horseplay" report of February 11, 2001. It is not for their inaction on Mike's dubious report.

Thanks but my question related to the protocol for the teacher.
I attempted to start out in this sub-thread with simple questions. Was there anything in the procedures that could have confused things?

I agree that calling police was a rational option. And that the Clery Act doesn't prevent it in cases of suspected child sexual abuse.

I didn't misread the clause in the Clery Act. I used that to explain why certain things were written into the university procedure. (Feel free to ignore that & go back to my original question - was there anything in the procedures that could have confused things?)

I am not attempting to use the Clery Act as a justification for not contacting law enforcement. (Feel free to ignore that & go back to my original question - was there anything in the procedures that could have confused things?)

You're right that all of those provisions relate to a known victim. That's the point. There's nothing really in the Clery Act, Title IX laws, current or former university procedures, or even in the current CPSL about what to do with an unknown victim. So again I'll ask - was there anything in the procedures that could have confused things?

Does all this seem to highlight a big procedural gap existed back then?

Did you know Freeh was specifically charged with reviewing all of the university's procedures and identifying any gaps that existed? The gap was obviously found since it was fixed with the adoption of AD72.

Here's some ore background on all that:

https://bwi.forums.rivals.com/threads/memory-issues.171360/page-6#post-2743277

To be clear, I am not trying to make excuses for anyone. I'm trying to understand what might have happened and identify any lessons learned that should have been communicated but weren't.

If it is possible Paterno, Curley, or Schultz consulted that procedure, I am not saying there were afraid to violate it. But the procedure is clear that the victim should have as much control as possible over what happens with any reporting that is made. The whole point of that philosophy is to encourage victims to come forward primarily so they can get medial and psychological services, because it's been long recognized many victims are afraid to come forward because they fear going to police and the thought of having to relive the event in a confrontational court situation.

And yes, there are situations where victims can't be given full control because reporting to police is absolutely mandated, but the procedures are very clear that they have to be informed before that occurs.

So going back to 2001. Did those men receive a clear and unequivocal report of sexual assault? Maybe not. Were there strong suspicions? I think so. Had any of those men been involved in reports of sexual assault before? I think that's likely. How many of them involved a victim who was insistent that things be taken care of, but that they didn't want to go to police? Perhaps some; maybe even a majority? Is it possible they understood the importance of respecting a victim's wishes is the right thing to do, and that the victim's physical and emotional health is an extremely important factor to consider? I think so.

Had that child victim and/or his parent(s) come forward I tend to think they would have all they could to assist him. In the absence of a victim coming forward, what do you think they thought was the right course of action? Find a way to get information to that boy's parent(s) and let them know they were aware of a suspicious situation and had a witness? Maybe talk to the head of the offender's charity - the guy most reasonably able to identify that boy - as a way to get information to the parent(s)? And allow the parents to decide what the best course of action was for their son's emotional well-being?

To be honest - I have no idea if the procedures back then guided any of the actions those men took.

But doesn't it seem reasonable that it should be considered as a possibility, at least as it relates to illustrating potential lessons learned? How many universities do you think adopted specific child abuse procedures since PSU did in May 2012? How many universities only have procedures aimed at university students in order to be compliant with the Clery Act and Title IX?

FYI - I've looked into whether Michigan State has policies that adequately address child abuse. They do. However, I've only been able to find the policy that was updated on 1/1/2015, after MSU had conducted a three month investigation that cleared Larry Nassar of an allegation in 2014, and most recent revision to the policy before that was in June 2011.

Last point for your consideration. Here's some Title IX guidance from the Department of Educations's 4/4/2011 Dear Colleague letter, which was sent to universities to remind them of their responsibilities to take immediate and effective steps to respond to sexual violence in accordance with the requirements of Title IX.
http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/letters/colleague-201104.pdf

Schools also should inform and obtain consent from the complainant (or the complainant's parents if the complainant is under 18 and does not attend a postsecondary institution) before beginning an investigation. If the complainant requests confidentiality or asks that the complaint not be pursued, the school should take all reasonable steps to investigate and respond to the complaint consistent with the request for confidentiality or request not to pursue an investigation.

A reasonable response; thank you.

You ask "So again I'll ask - was there anything in the procedures that could have confused things?"

Not in my mind. I think one has to perform analytical gymnastics to reach "a confusion" narrative. To me the administration reports to the appropriate state agencies what MM reported to them; it's pretty cut and dried.

Most hear who act like a call would have made things any different are influenced by hindsight. They ignore the fact that Jerry was revered and even lauded by the President of the United States. There are people that I have known practically all of my life who were good friends with The Sandusky's and they never believed that Jerry was guilty.
A second report of the same behavior after being told not to do it wouldn't have been ignored.

Don't let the desire to defend Paterno lead you to terrible arguments. You only weaken your legitimate points of contention.

Didn't that essentially happen at Central Mountain High with the Sandusky report there?? Nothing happened to those administrators.

As my response to another poster said, I'm questioning the protocol (if any) where a report of alleged sexual assault ends up in File 13.

Laws and procedures are written in such a way that the cover the majority of situations. This one was unique for the reasons above and should have required more attention.

You obviously don't understand the point of a procedure. You follow it verbatim, and if you discover a step that you can not follow and it needs to be changed, you stop work and get the appropriate people to make the change. That certainly wasn't Joe's responsibility

Aside from the fact that Jerry had permission to be there, I think you inadvertently make a good point. The people involved had known Jerry for decades. Whatever they thought of him, you can be sure that his being sexually attracted to young boys was not considered possible. And nothing McQueary told anyone convinced them otherwise.

However, this incident, coupled with the '98 incident, did raise a huge red flag. They realized that all it would take is one angry mom and PSU would be a sitting duck with deep pockets in a civil suit. That risk was real whether Sandusky abused anyone or not. The accusation, along with the negative publicity, was more than enough to do damage to the university. Therefore, to insulate PSU and to protect Jerry from himself, they took measured steps to prevent a one on one situation on PSU property from occurring in the future.

It's obvious the PSU administrators were not concerned in the least that a boy might have been abused. But none of them had direct responsibility for either Jerry or the boy. And none of them were professionally trained to recognize grooming behavior. Regardless of whether the incident warranted a formal report, Tim Curley told the one person who had both the professional training and the legal obligation to make that determination. The minute it was learned that Jack Raykovitz was informed, the entire focus of this incident should have shifted to TSM.

Punishing amateurs for the failure of professionals doesn't make sense. There's an ulterior motive behind why it has happened in this instance. It's about time we started getting to the bottom of it!
Well one reason they went after C/S/S was they lied about 98. For all of the complaining about the OAG it's a fact they invited it by not being completely honest.

Now you can certainly question why the OAG was compelled to prosecute it when offering a chance to amend their testimony was more appropriate. Perjury is a very hard thing to prosecute and it they seemed to be out for blood.

TSM should have gotten the scorched earth treatment. Instead they were protected and that's something more people should be focused on.

Reactions: AvgUser
A second report of the same behavior after being told not to do it wouldn't have been ignored.

Don't let the desire to defend Paterno lead you to terrible arguments. You only weaken your legitimate points of contention.
You are an idiot to think a phone call would have spurred any action. No victim, no complaint,no action.
Only a toadie or a paid stooge would keep trying to sell this bullshit. Hell, even after all adverse publicity, child protective services does not even follow up on a quarter of their complaints. Go pedal your shit to the Pennlies fools.

As my response to another poster said, I'm questioning the protocol (if any) where a report of alleged sexual assault ends up in File 13.
Wrong again. You lie just like MM. There no was a report of alleged sexual assault. Not to daddy, not to the doctor, not to anyone. You just sucked that from the OAG tittie.

I get that. HOWEVER--and this is part of the Commonwealth's own rules for CSA--unless there is a prosecution, you'd never know and never be allowed to know where that report ends up. If a report were found to be unfounded by the authorities (not PSU but state), then it gets purged. Also, one of the rules about any criminal investigation is that the police do not talk about it. At all. If it is still an ongoing investigation. Unless they are asking for info. As a civic association and block watch leader, I've run into that a few times.

Your situation is different from JP's. If I was said teacher, I would have to call the cops immediately. The protocol in JP's situation is to protect all involved including the investigation. I have no idea what training JP had in advance of this (probably not much if any). That is why doing what the protocol says would be the most prudent choice. What Colt wrote in this thread I feel is dead on regarding all involved. JR at TSM should have reported (had no choice) this immediately no matter what he was told. For some reason the state of PA doesn't care about that, and arguing about JP's involvement is meaningless compared to that. Finding out the reason why PA put the bulk of the emphasis on who they did will likely never see the light of day.

Since a teacher is a mandatory reporter, my question was ill-phrased.

Let me try again; if a report of sexual assault is reported by an individual who is not a mandated reporter, are you aware of any protocols which preclude that individual from contacting the police if the report ended up in File 13?

Let me try again; if a report of sexual assault is reported by an individual who is not a mandated reporter, are you aware of any protocols which preclude that individual from contacting the police if the report ended up in File 13?

How would you know if it ended up there??

I do know, in the case of other investigations when I've worked with police (not CSA) in our block watch that the standard answer is "no comment" or "we cannot talk about an investigation".

Reactions: Mixolydian

This would only apply to the Admins, there's no need to defend Paterno as he did the right thing.

I get that. HOWEVER--and this is part of the Commonwealth's own rules for CSA--unless there is a prosecution, you'd never know and never be allowed to know where that report ends up. If a report were found to be unfounded by the authorities (not PSU but state), then it gets purged. Also, one of the rules about any criminal investigation is that the police do not talk about it. At all. If it is still an ongoing investigation. Unless they are asking for info. As a civic association and block watch leader, I've run into that a few times.

I understand what you are saying, but your position assumes an investigation. Where there is no investigation as to the alleged abuse, it would seem that individuals with knowledge of the reported abuse are free to contact the authorities; either law enforcement or CYS.

Am I wrong?

I understand what you are saying, but your position assumes an investigation. Where there is no investigation as to the alleged abuse, it would seem that individuals with knowledge of the reported abuse are free to contact the authorities; either law enforcement or CYS.

Am I wrong?
Again, how would you know if there is/was an investigation or not?

How would you know if it ended up there??

I do know, in the case of other investigations when I've worked with police (not CSA) in our block watch that the standard answer is "no comment" or "we cannot talk about an investigation".

If the individual who saw the alleged abuse was never contacted by any authorities it is logical to conclude the report resides in File 13.

It doesn't matter if the police answered "no comment" or whatever, you made the effort to inquire. My questions have related to any protocols which would have prevented your inquiry, and it appears there are none.

Re: 1 - Chambers told me she gave her report to CYS and you are correct that is "big" (I've been saying that since 2012). DPW/CYS claimed to have never seen it, sort of. Jerry Lauro danced around it by saying the Penn State never showed him either Chambers' or Seasock's report. Well, we know that he and CYSset up the Seasock interview (over the DA's objections - not a small detail) so it is almost certain that saw the Seasock Report. Given that the Chambers report was submitted around May 7th, it is hard to believe that CYS did not share it with Lauro -- given the investigation lasted into June. Based on the evidence, it is also very clear that CYS was reluctant to investigate Jerry and thought he was innocent. Chambers rained on their parade, so Seasock got the call to rebut her report.

Thanks Ray. Personally I'm of the opinion that the County CYS and State DPW may not have been working on the same playing field. IOW I suspect the County agency was trying to protect Jerry, and withheld info and/or misrepresented info to the State. I could be wrong and should further info ever come to light I'm more than happy to change that opinion but I've believed for a long time that certain people at the County agency were not on the level. I know it's your belief it was more on the State.

I don't know if I understand your question. Who did he/she report it to initially? When in doubt, you follow the best practice procedures and protocols given to you and then get out of the way. I don't know how you would know if it ended up in your File 13. If I was this person, I would assume that is was investigated. If I later found out it wasn't, I would not be at fault but my trust would be gone. The problem here is even if telling TSM ended up being your File 13, TSM is not File 13 in the eyes of the state. That is what is so perplexing here.

Reactions: Bob78

First of all, nobody knows the context in which Jerry was told not to shower alone with TSM kids.

Was it an admonishment?: "What you're doing is wrong. We'll be keeping an eye on you. Don't do it again!"

Or was it a warning?: "Mr. Sandusky, sir, it would be in your best interest if you refrained from putting yourself in situations like this going forward. If that boy had accused you of some form of sexual abuse, you would have no way to prove your innocence. You're taking a huge risk! BTW, can you get a couple of tickets for my wife and me to the game this Saturday?"

A second report of the same behavior was not going to raise any eyebrows, since there was no accusation of CSA in the first report. To whit, Jack Raykovitz thought that by having Jerry wear swim trunks in the shower, the problem would be solved.

In a case where:
- we know the OAG lied in the presentment (and have known it for five years),
- the witness, whose closet is full of skeletons, is known to have been coerced by the prosecution,
- the matter was reported through proper channels to the executive director of TSM,
- the so called victim is on record saying he was never abused that night or ever,....

....how is it possible that Penn State not only chose not to defend itself and to stand by its leaders, it materially contributed to the ruination of the university's reputation and the reputations of those men?

Reactions: drblue1977
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT