ADVERTISEMENT

Rankings Updates — Feb 2022

slushhead

Mar 10, 2014
Intermat Update 2/1
Not much change in tourney points from last week. PSU (118) now ahead of a new 2nd place team in Iowa (87.5) by 30.5 points, with Michigan (73) dropping back to 3rd place and now behind by 45 points. ASU (65) stands pat in points, but moves to 4th while Okie St (51) falls to 5th.

PSU, Iowa, Michigan changes since Jan 25:
125 - Hildebrandt up one spot to #6.
141 - Micic down seven to #11.
149 - Bartlett up one to #18; Storr up one to #15.
157 - Lewan up one to #13.
197 - Brucki down four to #10.
285 - Kerkvliet down two to #5; Cassioppi up one to #4; Parris up one to #3.

285 seems like an interesting discussion.

Re. 285...
A beats B, B doesn't wrestle C, and C beats A. Seems B would be the odd man out.

C (Cassioppi)
A (Kerkvliet)
B (Parris)
In that order.

This ranking doesn't matter, but if the B1G committee thinks the same way, then it DOES matter.

Re. 285...
A beats B, B doesn't wrestle C, and C beats A. Seems B would be the odd man out.

C (Cassioppi)
A (Kerkvliet)
B (Parris)
In that order.

This ranking doesn't matter, but if the B1G committee thinks the same way, then it DOES matter.
Should that not be the order at Bigs, barring any unforseen upsets. Cass and Kerk with one conference loss, the h2h makes Cass the 2 and Parris has 2 conference losses. Is there something else they would take into account?

Should that not be the order at Bigs, barring any unforseen upsets. Cass and Kerk with one conference loss, the h2h makes Cass the 2 and Parris has 2 conference losses. Is there something else they would take into account?
You are absolutely 100% correct. There is nothing else, but then there's nothing else for Intermat either.

Kerk gets screwed on both the recency bias front and Schultz' duck. We're at the point of the season where rankings really do matter, so it'd be nice if the seeding committee treated that duck as an implicit loss to Kerk should we get there.

Gable is obviously in the 1 spot and unlikely to vacate it.

Parris has a loss to Kerk and Gable, but Kerk hasn't wrestled Gable (and won't until B1Gs)

Kerk has only one loss, to Cass, and some dominant wins. He didn't face Jordan Wood (whose only loss is to Cass), but was legitimately out sick/injured.

Cass got majored by Gable (so did Parris), beat Kerk, and got pinned by Jack DelGarbino, the only bad loss among the top guys. That should count, negatively, for something (yes, I know it actually counts for little).

Schultz hasn't wrestled anyone of particular note this year, and even some of his wins are eye-raising, such as when he edged Wyoming's Terren Swartz (who is 2-11 in D1 matches) 2-1. And of course he watched matside while Kerk went out and majored his backup.

Wyatt Hendrickson, like Schultz, is also undefeated but without many quality wins because of Air Force's schedule. That said, he's hammering everyone. 10 Falls, 1 TF, 1 MD, 1 DEC, 1 FFT. He deserves to be in the mix too. That said, he bonused a lot of guys last year too, and came up a match short of AA'ing.

Jordan Wood is 12-1 (aforementioned loss to Cass) in D1 matches but doesn't put up a lot of offense or bonus.

The conference tournaments may clean up some of this, but if Kerk winds up seeded fourth at B1Gs, in line with these rankings, he'll be unlikely to escape Gable's top half of the bracket, because the best he'd be able to do, assuming a loss to Gable there (I'm being realistic here--no one is on Gable's level), is finish third in B1Gs, which would translate to 4th or 5th seed at the NCAAs. Ironically, finishing 4th at B1Gs could drop him to a 6th or 7th seed, on the bottom half at NCAAs, if Hendrickson and Schultz squeeze in there and maybe Wood. All three guys are favorites to take their conferences.

Of the remaining regular season matches that could impact the aforementioned seeding speculation, Cass has Trent Hilger this coming weekend (Cass majored him last year), but that's unlikely to move the needle. Parris faces Matt Stencel on 2/20 and has beaten Stencel the last three times they've faced each other (4-1, 4-0, 9-2, all in the 2020 season), but Stencel pinned Parris in the 2019 NCAAs.

The only match with certain implications is Jordan Wood and Cohlton Schultz, scheduled to face each other on 2/18. The loser would likely drop below the B1G four, and if the loser is Schultz, maybe the NCAA committee would leave the B1G conference finishers intact for Detroit. Or Zeke could protect Schultz again and see how that goes.

Reactions: Chris Watts
Intermat Update 2/1
Not much change in tourney points from last week. PSU (118) now ahead of a new 2nd place team in Iowa (87.5) by 30.5 points, with Michigan (73) dropping back to 3rd place and now behind by 45 points. ASU (65) stands pat in points, but moves to 4th while Okie St (51) falls to 5th.

PSU, Iowa, Michigan changes since Jan 25:
125 - Hildebrandt up one spot to #6.
141 - Micic down seven to #11.
149 - Bartlett up one to #18; Storr up one to #15.
157 - Lewan up one to #13.
197 - Brucki down four to #10.

BIG rankings based on Intermat Rankings

PSU 137.5
UM 124.5
Iowa 118

BIGs should be a three way dog fight.

Re. 285...

C (Cassioppi)
A (Kerkvliet)
B (Parris)
In that order.

Ultimately, this is what it is and the seedings will be what they will be. Taking care of business is the ultimate requirement and Kerk lost on Friday, badly. If he loses to Steveson in the semis and battles for 3rd, I believe that will be a great accomplishment since he likely would be wrestling Cassioppi again. A 3rd place from the Big Ten will also likely be a 4th seed at NCAA's, which will place him on the Steveson side again. A 4th place finish, could also be a 5 seed, not really making any difference. That match Friday was huge. If he would have won he would have been a two seed. Who knows though, Owings once beat Gable.

Ultimately, this is what it is and the seedings will be what they will be. Taking care of business is the ultimate requirement and Kerk lost on Friday, badly. If he loses to Steveson in the semis and battles for 3rd, I believe that will be a great accomplishment since he likely would be wrestling Cassioppi again. A 3rd place from the Big Ten will also likely be a 4th seed at NCAA's, which will place him on the Steveson side again. A 4th place finish, could also be a 5 seed, not really making any difference. That match Friday was huge. If he would have won he would have been a two seed. Who knows though, Owings once beat Gable.
When the big ten seeds properly, Kerk will be #3. Which keeps him away from Gable.

if he wants to stay away from Gable at NCAA he has to make the finals at Big Ten.

Reactions: ccdiver
When the big ten seeds properly, Kerk will be #3. Which keeps him away from Gable.

if he wants to stay away from Gable at NCAA he has to make the finals at Big Ten.
All of this discussion on seeding reminds me of the movie line from Unforgiven. Gene Hackman says to Clint Eastwood, "you just shot an unarmed man". Clint responds "well he should've armed himself". Without saying whether Kerk is seeded 2, 3 or 4 at Big Ten's, to take away all doubt "he should've armed himself" on Friday night. Now we will be down to judgment and perspectives which always don't provide for desired results.

Kerk gets screwed on both the recency bias front and Schultz' duck. We're at the point of the season where rankings really do matter, so it'd be nice if the seeding committee treated that duck as an implicit loss to Kerk should we get there.

Parris has a loss to Kerk and Gable, but Kerk hasn't wrestled Gable (and won't until B1Gs)

Kerk has only one loss, to Cass, and some dominant wins. He didn't face Jordan Wood (whose only loss is to Cass), but was legitimately out sick/injured.

Cass got majored by Gable (so did Parris), beat Kerk, and got pinned by Jack DelGarbino, the only bad loss among the top guys. That should count, negatively, for something (yes, I know it actually counts for little).

Schultz hasn't wrestled anyone of particular note this year, and even some of his wins are eye-raising, such as when he edged Wyoming's Terren Swartz (who is 2-11 in D1 matches) 2-1. And of course he watched matside while Kerk went out and majored his backup.

Wyatt Hendrickson, like Schultz, is also undefeated but without many quality wins because of Air Force's schedule. That said, he's hammering everyone. 10 Falls, 1 TF, 1 MD, 1 DEC, 1 FFT. He deserves to be in the mix too. That said, he bonused a lot of guys last year too, and came up a match short of AA'ing.

Jordan Wood is 12-1 (aforementioned loss to Cass) in D1 matches but doesn't put up a lot of offense or bonus.

The conference tournaments may clean up some of this, but if Kerk winds up seeded fourth at B1Gs, in line with these rankings, he'll be unlikely to escape Gable's top half of the bracket, because the best he'd be able to do, assuming a loss to Gable there (I'm being realistic here--no one is on Gable's level), is finish third in B1Gs, which would translate to 4th or 5th seed at the NCAAs. Ironically, finishing 4th at B1Gs could drop him to a 6th or 7th seed, on the bottom half at NCAAs, if Hendrickson and Schultz squeeze in there and maybe Wood. All three guys are favorites to take their conferences.

Of the remaining regular season matches that could impact the aforementioned seeding speculation, Cass has Trent Hilger this coming weekend (Cass majored him last year), but that's unlikely to move the needle. Parris faces Matt Stencel on 2/20 and has beaten Stencel the last three times they've faced each other (4-1, 4-0, 9-2, all in the 2020 season), but Stencel pinned Parris in the 2019 NCAAs.

The only match with certain implications is Jordan Wood and Cohlton Schultz, scheduled to face each other on 2/18. The loser would likely drop below the B1G four, and if the loser is Schultz, maybe the NCAA committee would leave the B1G conference finishers intact for Detroit. Or Zeke could protect Schultz again and see how that goes.
I totally agree with you on Schultz's duck of Kerk. The only problem I see is people can point to Nick Lee not wrestling SeaBass and call it a duck, when Nick wasn't dressed and was sick. I will be happy if Eierman and SeaBass meet in the semi finals of BIGs, instead of Nick and either of those two.

All of this discussion on seeding reminds me of the movie line from Unforgiven. Gene Hackman says to Clint Eastwood, "you just shot an unarmed man". Clint responds "well he should've armed himself". Without saying whether Kerk is seeded 2, 3 or 4 at Big Ten's, to take away all doubt "he should've armed himself" on Friday night. Now we will be down to judgment and perspectives which always don't provide for desired results.
Deserves has got nothing to do with it great movie

Good thing Iowa ducked Michigan this year :p or Cass would have a loss to Paris creating a 3-way tie for 2nd and the likelihood of Kerk being a 4 seed at BIGs would have gone up!

A loss is a loss, and a two takedowns to one defeat isn't losing badly, at least to me. But that's a discussion for another day.

If the reguar season is to mean anything, the Parris win should account for something, just as the Cassioppi loss does.

Parris basically gets screwed for wrestling Kerk. Schultz gets rewarded for not.

Usually it doesn't matter but in the case where an Olympic Gold Medalist comes back to school, it does a lot.

Re. 285...

C (Cassioppi)
A (Kerkvliet)
B (Parris)
In that order.

I think the B1G seeding committee would have an exceedingly hard time putting Parris ahead of Kerk. Cass and Parris will have 2 conf losses, and Kerk 1. I realize Kerk is the only one of 3 that won't wrestle Gable. But I can't see that they can put a 2-loss Parris over 1-loss Kerk, when Kerk beat him HTH. Records (at this time) of top 4 against the rest of top 4 (with no other conf losses)

Steveson 2-0
Kerk 1-1
Cassioppi 1-1
Parris 0-2

Anything other than::
1-Steveson
2-Cassioppi
3-Kerk
4-Parris
would not make any sense.

A loss is a loss, and a two takedowns to one defeat isn't losing badly, at least to me. But that's a discussion for another day.

If the reguar season is to mean anything, the Parris win should account for something, just as the Cassioppi loss does.
I would agree with you if Kerk had been able to get off bottom. I would think you would have to admit it was a physically dominating win for Cassioppi, surprisingly so too.

Reactions: Lb4097
I would agree with you if Kerk had been able to get off bottom. I would think you would have to admit it was a physically dominating win for Cassioppi, surprisingly so too.
Again, that's a discussion for another day. How do you believe the Big Ten's should be seeded right now?

Barring major upsets, it'll be Cass 2, Kerk 3 in the B1G semis, with the winner getting the right to not be on Gable's side basically for NCAAs, which needless to say, has a lot of team implications (though it's not necessarily the be all end all if Kerk is bonusing a ton)

Cael learned two major things about Cass:
1. Kerk will not win the upper body exchange with him
2. His ride is pretty technical (now that he's not 270), I imagine it can be recreated in the room and Kerk will get a ton of practice underneath that very ride

Reactions: Lb4097 and ccdiver
Again, that's a discussion for another day. How do you believe the Big Ten's should be seeded right now?
I think Kerk should have the 3 seed, but I am not confident that is the way it will work out. Losses to Steveson almost shouldn't be counted while seeding, particularly since Cassioppi and Kerk haven't wrestled him. That would leave the three of them with one loss apiece and I don't see the returning national finalist getting the 4 seed. My point is that Kerk has left this open due to not winning on Friday and losing in the fashion that he did. I hope otherwise, but we will see.

Reactions: Lb4097 and ccdiver
Let's throw out Gable losses. Assuming no more upsets, that means each of the 2-4 have 1 loss a piece.

If they put Parris over Kerk, they're saying H2H shouldn't matter then Cael can harp on a pin loss to an unranked guy should ding Cass more than a loss to Cass right?

The only logical method, even not counting a loss to Gable is Cass beat Kerk who beat Parris. Last year's results should be out the window since it's a new year and it's a new Cass (a very new Cass I might add) and a new Kerk.

Reactions: Lb4097 and Strawcat
I think Kerk should have the 3 seed, but I am not confident that is the way it will work out. Losses to Steveson almost shouldn't be counted while seeding, particularly since Cassioppi and Kerk haven't wrestled him. That would leave the three of them with one loss apiece and I don't see the returning national finalist getting the 4 seed. My point is that Kerk has left this open due to not winning on Friday and losing in the fashion that he did. I hope otherwise, but we will see.
Cassioppi did wrestle Gable. He lost 17-7. Kerk is the lucky one who didn't have to lol.

If berge had himself a Night and upset karch. Then went undefeated the rest of the regular season, how do you rank 165 at B14?

Let's throw out Gable losses. Assuming no more upsets, that means each of the 2-4 have 1 loss a piece.

If they put Parris over Kerk, they're saying H2H shouldn't matter then Cael can harp on a pin loss to an unranked guy should ding Cass more than a loss to Cass right?

The only logical method, even not counting a loss to Gable is Cass beat Kerk who beat Parris. Last year's results should be out the window since it's a new year and it's a new Cass (a very new Cass I might add) and a new Kerk.
Assuming you're talking Big Ten's, throwing out "Gable losses" means Cassioppi has no losses, while Kerkvliet and Parris have one each, right?.

Assuming you're talking Big Ten's, throwing out "Gable losses" means Cassioppi has no losses, while Kerkvliet and Parris have one each, right?.
Yea, I messed up. Cassioppi did lose to Steveson and the other loss was nonconference. I think it should be Cassioppi 2, Kerk three and Parris 4, but I am concerned that it will not be and wouldn't be surprised at all if the seeds take the overall Intermat approach from today.

Correct - then H2H favors Kerk over Parris. Some concern is Michigan coaches will harp on Kerk losing 7-2 to Cass should weigh more than him beating Parris which is asinine IMO. It's a new year, can we year for sure Parris would beat Cass because he did last year? Maybe but we're just guessing. Parris beat Kerk 11-3 last year no? He didn't beat this version of Kerk and Cass did.

I totally agree with you on Schultz's duck of Kerk. The only problem I see is people can point to Nick Lee not wrestling SeaBass and call it a duck, when Nick wasn't dressed and was sick. I will be happy if Eierman and SeaBass meet in the semi finals of BIGs, instead of Nick and either of those two.
The difference between 141 and HWT is that there is no elephant in the room at 141. Regardless of how anyone is seeded, Nick can go out and win the weight (and needs to if he wants the #1 seed at NCAAs). With HWT, what they do with an unclear seeding will affect everyone's place in the class and nationals seeding since the assumption (and rightfully so until proven wrong) is that Gable won't be beaten.

As for HWT, are the B1G seeds just based on conference matches or can they count Cass's pin loss against him as well (even though it was pretty fluky)? If it's just conference matches, regardless of whether you look at the matches including Gable or exclude the Gable matches, the seeding ends up the same - Gable, Cass, Kerk, Parris. If they view the Princeton pin against Cass, then you could end up with Gable, Kerk, Parris, Cass since a pin loss against an unranked opponent would push Cass to the bottom of the list.

Reactions: creamery freak
The difference between 141 and HWT is that there is no elephant in the room at 141. Regardless of how anyone is seeded, Nick can go out and win the weight (and needs to if he wants the #1 seed at NCAAs). With HWT, what they do with an unclear seeding will affect everyone's place in the class and nationals seeding since the assumption (and rightfully so until proven wrong) is that Gable won't be beaten.

As for HWT, are the B1G seeds just based on conference matches or can they count Cass's pin loss against him as well (even though it was pretty fluky)? If it's just conference matches, regardless of whether you look at the matches including Gable or exclude the Gable matches, the seeding ends up the same - Gable, Cass, Kerk, Parris. If they view the Princeton pin against Cass, then you could end up with Gable, Kerk, Parris, Cass since a pin loss against an unranked opponent would push Cass to the bottom of the list.
B1G seeds are almost entirely based on B1G results. Also I think (but am not positive) that dual results against other B1G opponents count more heavily than match results against B1G opponents in tournaments (like CKLV).

Reactions: slushhead
Intermat update 2/8
Just a smidgen of change in tourney points from last week. PSU (119) now ahead of Iowa (88) by 31 points and Michigan (73.5) by 45.5 points. ASU (65) stands pat in points once again, and Okie St (55.5) nudges a few points closer.

PSU, Iowa, Michigan changes since Feb 1:
- Hildebrandt up one spot to #5; Ayala down one to #12.
133 - Ragusin up one to #7.
141 - Micic down six to #17.
149 - Bartlett down one to #19; Storr down seven to #22.
157 - Lewan up four to #9.
165 - Amine down two to #14.
174 - Massa up one to #5.
184 - Assad up two to #15.
197 - Brucki down one to #11.

Intermat update 2/8
Just a smidgen of change in tourney points from last week. PSU (119) now ahead of Iowa (88) by 31 points and Michigan (73.5) by 45.5 points. ASU (65) stands pat in points once again, and Okie St (55.5) nudges a few points closer.

PSU, Iowa, Michigan changes since Feb 1:
- Hildebrandt up one spot to #5; Ayala down one to #12.
133 - Ragusin up one to #7.
141 - Micic down six to #17.
149 - Bartlett down one to #19; Storr down seven to #22.
157 - Lewan up four to #9.
165 - Amine down two to #14.
174 - Massa up one to #5.
184 - Assad up two to #15.
197 - Brucki down one to #11.
For a tournament ranking, I think they have Nebraska way too low. I get that they've taken it on the chin a couple times in the dual season, but they have 7 guys who will definitely qualify for NCAAs and all 7 are at least potential AAs (not all 7 will AA, but I wouldn't be surprised to see 3 or 4 AAs plus the others get to the blood round). Cal Poly, who are one spot ahead of them, has 2, with Wick being the favorite in his class (or at least one of them).

For a tournament ranking, I think they have Nebraska way too low. I get that they've taken it on the chin a couple times in the dual season, but they have 7 guys who will definitely qualify for NCAAs and all 7 are at least potential AAs (not all 7 will AA, but I wouldn't be surprised to see 3 or 4 AAs plus the others get to the blood round). Cal Poly, who are one spot ahead of them, has 2, with Wick being the favorite in his class (or at least one of them).
I agree. My ISU team is another example of the dual team being better than the NCAA tournament team. We could have as many as 6 AAs or as few as 1. I think a top 10 finish with a national champ and 2 other AAs would be a good tournament. The coaches have brought the pride and desire back to the program, but the overall talent is still very average.

I agree. My ISU team is another example of the dual team being better than the NCAA tournament team. We could have as many as 6 AAs or as few as 1. I think a top 10 finish with a national champ and 2 other AAs would be a good tournament. The coaches have brought the pride and desire back to the program, but the overall talent is still very average.
I like ISU because Cam Robinson is from CRN. Hopefully, he'll earn a starting spot next year.

Reactions: dicemen99
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT