ADVERTISEMENT

Rankings Updates — Feb 2022

Based on the rankings, if they were to cancel the tournament, we’d get to hang a championship banner, correct?

(I think that’s what a bunch of guys in Iowa shirts had told me about how that works.)

Based on the rankings, if they were to cancel the tournament, we’d get to hang a championship banner, correct?

(I think that’s what a bunch of guys in Iowa shirts had told me about how that works.)

3baV.gif

How long you had that one on hold? Glorious.

Last edited:
Reactions: PD4thespawn
Intermat update 2/15
With a certain top-ranked 197-lber now out for the season, PSU gets a 4-pt bump in tourney rankings from last week. Penn State (123) now ahead of Iowa (88) by 35 points and Michigan (72) by 51 points. ASU (68.5) still in 4th, and anotherOSU (49.5) mans 5th.

PSU, Iowa, Michigan changes since Feb 8:
133 - Ragusin down one spot to #8.
141 - Micic up two to #15.
149 - Storr down three to #25.
184 - Assad down one to #16.
197 - Dean up one to #1; Brucki up one to #10.

In an age where trolling tHR has become too easy, Intermat joins the f*n by giving most of the top 197s a bump up, but not Warner. Ouch!

012822_iowapennstwrestling_JR076-900x600.jpg

Intermat update 2/15
With a certain top-ranked 197-lber now out for the season, PSU gets a 4-pt bump in tourney rankings from last week. Penn State (123) now ahead of Iowa (88) by 35 points and Michigan (72) by 51 points. ASU (68.5) still in 4th, and anotherOSU (49.5) mans 5th.

In an age where trolling tHR has become too easy, Intermat joins the f*n by giving most of the top 197s a bump up, but not Warner. Ouch!

Intermat update 2/15

I think it should require a name change from Warnerov to Warnerouch! :)

I think it should require a name change from Warnerov to Warnerouch! :)
Something that I find very interesting is that sometimes when a Hawkeye wrestler gets in a bad position they are having a hard time getting out of, they start screaming that they are hurt(Desanto twice) or have their tongue out gasping as if they are choking(Cassioppi) or act like they can't breath(Warner). When you look at the arms around both Cassioppi and Warners neck, it was evident(To me) that the arm was not tight against their throat. I am not starting a conspiracy theory, but I do think it is very interesting. The reason I think this may just be a coincidence is because I don't think any Coach would ever teach or condone this. Right??

So we now have the #1 ranked wrestler at 50% of the ten weight classes, and yet we’re still supposed to be nervous about Iowa posing a serious threat? Out of some mysterious sense of superstitious humility?

Something that I find very interesting is that sometimes when a Hawkeye wrestler gets in a bad position they are having a hard time getting out of, they start screaming that they are hurt(Desanto twice) or have their tongue out gasping as if they are choking(Cassioppi) or act like they can't breath(Warner). When you look at the arms around both Cassioppi and Warners neck, it was evident(To me) that the arm was not tight against their throat. I am not starting a conspiracy theory, but I do think it is very interesting. The reason I think this may just be a coincidence is because I don't think any Coach would ever teach or condone this. Right??
I have noticed that if one of his wrestlers appears to get hurt Brands will throw a brick just to buy a breather for his kid.

So we now have the #1 ranked wrestler at 50% of the ten weight classes, and yet we’re still supposed to be nervous about Iowa posing a serious threat? Out of some mysterious sense of superstitious humility?
Willie on one of his shows responded to a commenter saying he still thinks it's a tossup between Iowa and PSU because his CBs are assuming PSU guys win and Iowa flipping results at like 141/174 and Marinelli winning could change things and Willie basically was like

"Okay yeah so if Iowa basically has a near perfect tournament with 3 champs and 2 more finalists ... then in that case, PSU probably had a subpar tournament. Yes, in that scenario Iowa would win. But based on what's happened in the last decade, is that something you think is very likely to happen?"

Iowa probably won’t even show up since you have 5 guys ranked first by Intermat.

Can't play the underdog role. You guys are defending champs and I've seen quite a bit of your fans talk about breaking a scoring record last this and this year. If that's the case, losing even 30 points from Spencer should only bring you guys to 140 right? Sprinkle in a talented freshman like Drake and you should be at 150 still.

Reactions: PSUoh90 and Ski
Remember 2018? We had 5 defending national champs, and were still considered underdogs to Ohio St (and barely beat them, thanks to Bo!) It's always wise to respect our opposition.

Remember 2018? We had 5 defending national champs, and were still considered underdogs to Ohio St (and barely beat them, thanks to Bo!) It's always wise to respect our opposition.
2018 tournament was nothing but ebbs and flows.
Session I looked to be disastrous when Nick Lee got pinned early and OSU avoided disaster with Hayes and BoJo possibly going down.
After Session II, things didn't look good, OSU was outbonusing us even.
Session III, OSU started showing cracks in the armor when Hayes, BoJo and Moore went down but Shak and Nevills lost.
Session IV looked like OSU was down for the count when only Snyder and MyMar advanced and PSU advanced 5. Nick breaks through the podium and makes the consol semis but Shak and Nevills losing and dropping to 7/8 was disastrous.
Session V, OSU showed they weren't done and regained the lead by 6.
Session VI, we showed what we do.

Can't play the underdog role. You guys are defending champs and I've seen quite a bit of your fans talk about breaking a scoring record last this and this year. If that's the case, losing even 30 points from Spencer should only bring you guys to 140 right? Sprinkle in a talented freshman like Drake and you should be at 150 still.
Quite a bit of fans? How many and where? Can you show me these fans predicting breaking a scoring record?

• Haha
Reactions: SCub
Respect, sure, but let's not oversell it. Barring injuries (knock on wood), we win by 25-30 points.

William Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. You take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

William Munny: We all have it coming, Kid.
Billy Mummy: He's a bad man. He's a very bad man.

I'm not sure who you are referring to that thinks we should be nervous about Iowa. That said with our rankings we have little room to improve but Iowa has lost of room to improve. Personally I don't worry about things I can't control but it is certainly not a given that we will win NCAAs. Anything can and does happen every year at NCAAs. We certainly were not the favorites in 2011 when we won the team title.

Reactions: Lb4097
I'm not sure who you are referring to that thinks we should be nervous about Iowa. That said with our rankings we have little room to improve but Iowa has lost of room to improve. Personally I don't worry about things I can't control but it is certainly not a given that we will win NCAAs. Anything can and does happen every year at NCAAs. We certainly were not the favorites in 2011 when we won the team title.
With Spencer out, and you gaining #4 Hildebrandt, having a #2 ranked Max Dean, a healthy Kerk it would take some significant injuries to for PSU to lose at this point.

Rumor has it from one previous national champ, they are the slipperiest team as well. What's going on in Iowa city?

With Spencer out, and you gaining #4 Hildebrandt, having a #2 ranked Max Dean, a healthy Kerk it would take some significant injuries to for PSU to lose at this point.

It’s a real Unicorn! An Iowa fan talking sense!!!

I tend to agree early in the season Iowa was ranked near their best case scenario, and PSU quite pessimistically. Now this has reversed.

Like it or not Eireman, Marinelli, and Kemerer are legit threats for a national championship, independent of my personal beliefs in our guys at two of those weights. If they caught lightning in a bottle they could come home with 3 NCs which would swing the balance back in their favor. Is this likely no, is it impossible, also no.

History is our best teacher, and the needle swings strongly in our direction as to which program's wrestlers peak in March.

Net net any predictions of Iowa's demise are grossly premature.

Reactions: Zukovski and Ja1339
The first Big10 Championship PSU won they had 5 champs (5 for 5 in finals) and beat Iowa by a single point.

They also had 2 wrestling for 5th place who won and 2 wrestling for 7th who won. 9 for 9 in the tournament's final matches. Patakey won by TF, Alton won by decision, Vollrath won by fall and to win the title Wade at Hwt won by fall.

Without a brilliant consolation round the 5 for 5 finals effort would have won silver, not gold.

Nothing wrong with a "smidgen" of Iowa nervousness.

Still, Iowa needs to concentrate on getting past NCST and Michigan so the Hawks can finally look at a championship winning Nit Lion team and at least be second best.

Reactions: creamery freak

LOL no they would give it to iowa!!

I tend to agree early in the season Iowa was ranked near their best case scenario, and PSU quite pessimistically. Now this has reversed.

Like it or not Eireman, Marinelli, and Kemerer are legit threats for a national championship, independent of my personal beliefs in our guys at two of those weights. If they caught lightning in a bottle they could come home with 3 NCs which would swing the balance back in their favor. Is this likely no, is it impossible, also no.

History is our best teacher, and the needle swings strongly in our direction as to which program's wrestlers peak in March.

Net net any predictions of Iowa's demise are grossly premature.
betting man takes PSU everytime in MARCH!!

Well they are 0 for the last 3 in March since Iowa won 2020 Big 10’s, 2021 Big 10’s, and 2021 NCAA’s. Hope you didn’t lose too much.
IIRC, it was established several years ago that Angry Spyker’s wife doesn’t let him bet. And when he bet anyway and lost, he didn’t pay up. I’ll let you choose which of these scenarios is more embarrassing.

Reactions: danoftw
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT