ADVERTISEMENT

Question

Nbergbuck

Mar 31, 2004
I do come in peace, but I do have a question. The coaches of PSU and MSU have just signed huge contracts, exceeding that of OSU's coach. Ohio State has long been referred to here as "O$U", though I have not seen any other B1G team so referenced.. Do you see that as continuing to be accurate going forward?

I do come in peace, but I do have a question. The coaches of PSU and MSU have just signed huge contracts, exceeding that of OSU's coach. Ohio State has long been referred to here as "O$U", though I have not seen any other B1G team so referenced.. Do you see that as continuing to be accurate going forward?
yes I predict that some fans of this team will refer to Ohio State as O$U

happy Thanksgiving

Reactions: db90
As long as you pull top 25 level kids out of Texas and Florida and Georgia right out from under the noses of schools like UGA, Bama, OU and UT, yup- something stinks big fella. Nobody else in the big 10 or pac 10 can touch those kid except OSU. And you goofs keep saying it’s because Columbus is such a great city. Come on bro. Your Midwest recruits I’ll give you….

As long as you pull top 25 level kids out of Texas and Florida and Georgia right out from under the noses of schools like UGA, Baja, OU and UT, yup- something stinks big fella. Nobody else in the big 10 or pac 10 can touch those kid except OSU. And you goofs keep saying it’s because Columbus is such a great city. Come on bro.
O$U indeed!

Reactions: fkkkjm
As long as you pull top 25 level kids out of Texas and Florida and Georgia right out from under the noses of schools like UGA, Bama, OU and UT, yup- something stinks big fella. Nobody else in the big 10 or pac 10 can touch those kid except OSU. And you goofs keep saying it’s because Columbus is such a great city. Come on bro. Your Midwest recruits I’ll give you….
Is it illegal or just their commitment to winning football? The excuses for us not being competitive get confusing

Talk to Maurice Clarrett, I'm sure he can explain it to you.

Reactions: NatLion and bison13
Is it illegal or just their commitment to winning football? The excuses for us not being competitive get confusing
Oh you’re right - Ryan Day just connects with 5 star kids from Texas on a level that the 98% of other FBS coaches just can’t. He’s a regular recruit whisperer. Eff off dude.

Ryan Day should be very happy that both Penn State and MSU executed such large contracts with their coaches for two reasons: 1) Day will continue to consistently beat Penn State and MSU, and 2) these new contracts have just upped the market for college football coaches so if Day is concerned with being compensated for his achievements then I expect him to execute an even larger contract with OSU.

O$U is used because of cash given to the players and recruits, not because of the coaches’ contracts.

We pay our coaches. O$U plays it’s players. 😉 Just f ing with you….maybe. 😉

Reactions: psu00
Oh you’re right - Ryan Day just connects with 5 star kids from Texas on a level that the 98% of other FBS coaches just can’t. He’s a regular recruit whisperer. Eff off dude.

This is a wonderful illustration of the inferiority complex that resides with many people around here.

OSU, like Bama, is a football factory. Whether that's good for bad for intercollegiate athletics, that's fair to debate. I prefer the JoePa model myself. But given what CFB is -- a pipeline to the NFL -- it's pretty easy to see why OSU recruits at an elite level. They've fielded 14 top-5 teams this century. Pretty sure nobody in CFB has matched that. We, by comparison, have a total of 1. The # of 1st round draft picks is also pretty astounding.

Funny, it's almost as if elite recruits prefer elite programs. Weird how that works.

I do enjoy the narrative that programs that recruit better than us are cheating, while we're not. Not a terribly hard argument to debunk, but the argument still exists.

So much for coming here in peace.
Well, I came here in peace and still do. No question OSU is dominant in B1G football. I actually think it would be good if someone else one the B1G title occasionally. The top HS kids who are 4 and 5 stars are generally thinking "NFL". It would follow then that they look for the college program that will most likely get them there. OSU does an excellent job with "pre NFL". That is helped by having some of the best assistant coaches in football. D line and WR are 2 of them. I find the idea that PSU legally pays its coaches while OSU illegally pays its players unlikely. The actual truth is probably much more mixed. For one thing, Penn State is too good for that to be strictly true.

Last edited:
Reactions: RickinDayton
This is a wonderful illustration of the inferiority complex that resides with many people around here.

OSU, like Bama, is a football factory. Whether that's good for bad for intercollegiate athletics, that's fair to debate. I prefer the JoePa model myself. But given what CFB is -- a pipeline to the NFL -- it's pretty easy to see why OSU recruits at an elite level. They've fielded 14 top-5 teams this century. Pretty sure nobody in CFB has matched that. We, by comparison, have a total of 1. The # of 1st round draft picks is also pretty astounding.

Funny, it's almost as if elite recruits prefer elite programs. Weird how that works.

I do enjoy the narrative that programs that recruit better than us are cheating, while we're not. Not a terribly hard argument to debunk, but the argument still exists.
You can’t debunk squat. Cheating is ingrained in every competitive aspect of society. Lance armstrong — how does the guy keep beating everyone? Oh boy - he’s blood doping and has more red blood cells than a horse.
But according to you - all the other cyclists were just not training hard enough. You’ve always been a dope. You should run for office in Cook County.

No doubt elite programs attract elite recruits, question is what makes them elite. Just the facilities and coaches?Anything sketchy?

I agree that OSU has excellent assistant coaches, which is an enormous part of them being elite. If my son were a stud WR recruit I’d feel pretty comfortable sending him to OSU under Hartline. And I give them credit for that.

It is known around Columbus that players get benefits, including ca$h, that had been against the rules. Can’t say it doesn’t happen at other schools, but it has for years at O$U.

Reactions: Lion Lineage
You're right he does connect with kids from all over the US. Just like Cael connects with wrestlers from all over the US. The best want to to play for the best. You an Iowa fan with a binder to turn over to the NCAA?

College football is now Pro Football.......anyone that thinks it's very relevant is hard up for inflating their self worth.

Well, I came here in peace and still do. No question OSU is dominant in B1G football. I actually think it would be good if someone else one the B1G title occasionally. The top HS kids who are 4 and 5 stars are generally thinking "NFL". It would follow then that they look for the college program that will most likely get them there. OSU does an excellent job with "pre NFL". That is helped by having some of the best assistant coaches in football. D line and WR are 2 of them. I find the idea that PSU legally pays its coaches while OSU illegally pays its players unlikely. The actual truth is probably much more mixed. For one thing, Penn State is too good for that to be strictly true.
When you consistently win @ OSU's level, the high end recruits follow. To this point OSU's athletic dept has been willing to invest much more money into football. Additionally, truth be told, they have had some questionable booster activity in previous years which has greatly benefited them. Now, they seem to be all-in with NIL and the rest of the B1G lags behind. CJF indicated his new contract improves PSUs commitment to NIL. I also think OSU has an overall better coaching/recruiting staff. PSU is improving but has not reached elite level player depth,and this is hindering the breakthrough to the CFP.

Day won’t be there very long once the newness wears off.

For our sake, let's hope so.

But man, that's wishful thinking based on no appreciable evidence from what I can see. There's absolutely nothing that I see indicating that OSU is dipping off from the Urb years. In fact, their recruiting is improving, their offense is far better than it was during Urb's years, and he's retaining top-level assistants.

Those hoping that he'll pull a Larry Coker are probably going to be disappointed. Ultimately, we'll need to pull ourselves up rather than hope that OSU falls down.

Hell, even losing to Michigan means they'll be 10-2, play in a NY6 bowl, and probably end with 11 wins and a top-5 ranking. With a pretty young team. Hardly the beginning of any fall, IMO.

It's not Day it is their history of program success and placing guys in the NFL. Day just needs to be likeable and not turn them off plus sound like he knows football.

No other B1G teams pay their players except O$U. This dates back to to Tressel.

Have a blessed day and kindly show yourself out the door.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

You're right he does connect with kids from all over the US. Just like Cael connects with wrestlers from all over the US. The best want to to play for the best. You an Iowa fan with a binder to turn over to the NCAA?
Didn’t realize Ryan day was a 4 time undefeated national champion and on the Mount Rushmore of his sport. Nah, he’s just the next guy in line at a cheating football factory. Not even close to apples to apples big guy.

Didn’t realize Ryan day was a 4 time undefeated national champion and on the Mount Rushmore of his sport. Nah, he’s just the next guy in line at a cheating football factory. Not even close to apples to apples big guy.
Cael pretty much had instant success. My point is you sound like a paranoid Iowa fan.

Using that same logic, can PSU's success in wrestling be attributed to cheating? On the other hand, could it be having one of the best American wrestlers ever as the HC? Could it be that once the winning started, recruiting became very easy and very sustainable? It is probably the last two.

Using that same logic, can PSU's success in wrestling be attributed to cheating? On the other hand, could it be having one of the best American wrestlers ever as the HC? Could it be that once the winning started, recruiting became very easy and very sustainable? It is probably the last two.
Urban Meyer is gone you will see

I'm pretty sure that HC contracts is not why some refer to OSU as O$U. I do not, but I'm pretty sure they are implying something about player compensation prior to (and outside of) NIL.

I like the way you think fkkkjm.

I'm pretty sure that HC contracts is not why some refer to OSU as O$U. I do not, but I'm pretty sure they are implying something about player compensation prior to (and outside of) NIL.
So OSU pays players, but no one else does. In fact schools like PSU are as pure as the driven snow. Right.

So OSU pays players, but no one else does. In fact schools like PSU are as pure as the driven snow. Right.
Again, I do not refer to OSU as O$U, I was explaining why some do.

Regarding the second part of your post, I will point out that PSU has NEVER been found guilty committing any major NCAA infractions. OSU (and every other school except for Stanford, I think) cannot say the same.

Reactions: lockhavenlion3
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT