ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue holds onto coach

Rumor is Purdue up him to 6 mil a year from 4 and Louisville offer was up 5 mil.

It's great they kept him and so on, but hard to imagine a coach getting top 10 money off of a 6-6 season. Yes, the win against Ohio state was impressive, but Purdue had some dreadful losses.

It's great they kept him and so on, but hard to imagine a coach getting top 10 money off of a 6-6 season. Yes, the win against Ohio state was impressive, but Purdue had some dreadful losses.

They know if Brohm leaves the replacement likely won't be at his level. A school like Purdue is going to have "overpay" for someone like Brohm. Honestly, with Rondale Moore there a lot of kids are going to see him play and want to go to Purdue so Brohm can use them the same way.

Reactions: TC4THREE

Purdue's starting talent was majority 2 star with several walk ons starting, too. Less than 1/2 the roster Brohm inherited were 3 star and the vast majority had Purdue as their only P5 offer (low 5.5). It is a miracle what he is doing.

Rutgers and Illinois have both recruited way better the last 5 classes. Brohm has a top 25 class coming in. CBS had a report earlier this year that the only team in P5 with worse talent than us was Kansas, and that 13 non P5 had better talent than us, too.

It was that bad. He basically inherited a lower to mid tier MAC team.

Purdue's starting talent was majority 2 star with several walk ons starting, too. Less than 1/2 the roster Brohm inherited were 3 star and the vast majority had Purdue as their only P5 offer (low 5.5). It is a miracle what he is doing.

Rutgers and Illinois have both recruited way better the last 5 classes. Brohm has a top 25 class coming in. CBS had a report earlier this year that the only team in P5 with worse talent than us was Kansas, and that 13 non P5 had better talent than us, too.

It was that bad. He basically inherited a lower to mid tier MAC team.
This. We had the three worst recruiting classes in the B1G for Brohm to work with. And we've gone to a bowl two years in a row. To be fair, we are 6 points from being 9-3, and each of those losses are embarassing. But I think (hope) most of that is to being inexperienced and not knowing how to win. But we are pumped. We simply rolled the new B1G dollars into his contract. We are the smallest AD in the conference. But we finally have a Pres. and A.D. who know we need to be competitive in FB.

Good for Purdue. I don't have a single bad thing to say about their fan base. In fact, one of their supporters on twitter (@SpencerLeone) actually wrote to Jim Delany asking the Big Ten to return our stolen bowl money. Happy for the Boilers.

Slow your roll Roy. Let’s not annoit them as of yet.
Fair enough. Lots of work to do.

The coaching situation looks good in that division -- the new guys Brohm at Purdue, Fleck at Minnesota, and Scott Frost at Nebraska look like a step up for those programs to go along with other proven coaches in the division like Fitzgerald, Ferentz, and Chryst (Lovie Smith questionable IMO).

That still leaves them with the challenge of recruiting, starting with the Upper Midwest not being a hotbed of highly rated prospects, particularly at skill positions. So the coaches need to find some players, perhaps establish some pipelines to specific areas, and then develop the kids.

So, results yet to come, but the coaching seems improved in the division and that's important.

Reactions: Delco Lion

They lost to Minnesota by 31 and to Eastern Michigan and Missouri. I don’t see what the big deal is about him. I guess they figure any above average coach could have a chance to win in the BIG West.

-
They lost to Minnesota by 31 and to Eastern Michigan and Missouri. I don’t see what the big deal is about him. I guess they figure any above average coach could have a chance to win in the BIG West.

He took over a team that had won 9 games in 4 years and that was 3-30 in the Big Ten during those 4 years and made back to back bowl games while going 9-9 in the Big Ten during those 2 years. He averaged 10 wins a year while at Western Kentucky. Brohm is widely considered one of the top young coaches in the country. I'm not sure what you're looking at or expecting.

As long as he has any kind of success at Purdue his name is going to keep coming up for jobs. And probably sooner than later high profile jobs

Reactions: BoilerBulldog
A bargain when compared to Harbaugh's $7.5M. Brohm has the same number of Big 10 titles plus a win over Ohio State.
giphy.gif

Reactions: mn78psu83
This is great news as purdue’s continued ascent will elevate the overall quality of the conference . This guy is not stupid.... I think Purdue is a better destination than Louisville.

This is great news as purdue’s continued ascent will elevate the overall quality of the conference . This guy is not stupid.... I think Purdue is a better destination than Louisville.
No doubt. At Purdue you have a chance to win the division, at Louisville, you are in the same division as Clemson and Florida State. Good luck with that. That doesn't even include all the problems that the Louisville athletic department has to deal with and the financial constraints resulting from having to fire Petrino and Pitino.

That doesn't even include all the problems that the Louisville athletic department has to deal with and the financial constraints resulting from having to fire Petrino and Pitino.

And Tom Jurich who not that long ago was hailed as a "genius" among athletic directors.

Reactions: ChiTownLion
And they had to close Brohm’s high school in Louisville yesterday due to a bomb threat because he turned down the job....but Penn State has the culture problem.

Reactions: ChiTownLion
Drove through campus at West Lafayette and Louisville two summers ago. Talk about opposites. At Purdue, you could see that they poured a ton of resources into their academic facilities, such as their business school and engineering department. At Louisville, the place was like a junior high carnival. All the money was dumped in athletic facilities while the academic side was a wasteland. Good to see Purdue step up.

Reactions: TC4THREE
And they had to close Brohm’s high school in Louisville yesterday due to a bomb threat because he turned down the job....but Penn State has the culture problem.

What will happen in State College if Penn State announces that Franklin is returning next year?

:eek:

But it was Purdue - this season. They overpaid and the extra few mil each year in this case are likely well-invested. Keeping him gives them something to build upon and they’ll make it back.

Actually... if you are getting that kind of money to Coach in the relatively weak West Division of the Big 10... yowza... I would jump on that in a nano second...Big 10 East is a different story...

Purdue does have - IMO - one of the finest Univ Presidents in the country.
I cite his programs and policies often, wrt the PSU Administrative Cluster-F^ck.
Instead of poaching coaches like other programs do, maybe we could poach a new prez

Yikes, go have a look at the UL boards (247 has some good threads). Man those are some obsessed people over there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT