ADVERTISEMENT

Punished in polls for a 19 point win.

Not surprising. A lot of voters had PSU at 3 or 4. With Oklahoma and USC winning, many of them probably dropped PSU to 4, 5, or 6, just by displacement. Thus - we end up at 5.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Looking at this another way: How in the world does the nation think that the Big Ten is the worst power five conference?

Oh yes it does matter where they end up. Win is diminished if a team ends up 6-6.

Our main problem yesterday was that Oklahoma beat Ohio State. That was not a great outcome for us. It will be hard to jump Oklahoma from here on out. USC will take care of itself - if you watched the Western Mich. game you know they are not running the table.

No surprise. We didn't play well on offense, other than the quick strikes, we were flat. TM missed a lot of throws, and the OL didn't have many holes for SB.
I totally agree. We got handled at both lines of scrimmage and were inconsistent on offense. We didn't play like a top 4 team.

Reactions: dsites52
USC dropped behind us after barely beating Western Michigan. They jumped ahead of us after beating a ranked Standford. Raneked 4 or 5 doesn't matter at this point in the season.

Last year, the polls were giving us less than no respect. But the Committee recognized how well we were playing, and ranked us much higher than the polls after Iowa. That gave me some reassurance that the process is better than it once was.

Sagarin's computer rankings have us at #7. I believe the CPU rankings are something the Committee actually looks at, whether they admit it or not. What we really need is for Pitt to beat Oklahoma State, and Oklahoma State to defeat Oklahoma. That would do wonders for us.

We'll see if Stanford ends up a top 15 team.

Do you think Pitt is going to end up a top 15 team? For that matter do you think they end up a top 50 team? I have bad news for Pitt as except for some big plays we played a below average game on both O & D. Special teams played very well but we should have won that game by a lot more, which does not bode well for Pitt, who I think goes 6-6 or worse.

"Punished"? We're only 1/6 of the way into the season. There will be movement up and down in the polls. Let's not be over react to this.

I agree, but I was using it as the writers have used it. Both Fox sports and ESPN wrote last night, "PSU should not be "punished" in the polls for a comfortable win in a rivalry game". Their words not mine.

These polls do not matter at all, there is no point at getting upset at them. I do however find it hilarious they are now acting like the poll that actually DOES matter, moving teams around far more than they traditionally would. This has nothing to do with how good they think a team is overall, it is simply a reaction to what just happened in the games that week. But without the 'real' poll they would have just kept doing what they always have done, make it impossible to move up unless someone above you loses.

There is literally no reason to have coaches or AP polls.

And the argument that what OSU did somehow affects our ranking is ludicrous. It has nothing to do with us until we play them.

Reactions: PSU-Knocker
Do you think Pitt is going to end up a top 15 team? For that matter do you think they end up a top 50 team? I have bad news for Pitt as except for some big plays we played a below average game on both O & D. Special teams played very well but we should have won that game by a lot more, which does not bode well for Pitt, who I think goes 6-6 or worse.
I think they are top 30.

Reactions: anon_1eeb2b426hv3y
We needed to win 63-10 to hold off USC. Franklin looked angry after the game. This is why.

Penn State looked very loose in pre-game warm-ups, perhaps too loose. That coupled with Franklin's comments during the week that the team was approaching pitt like any other game makes me wonder if they thought it would be an easy win and weren't ready for a pitt team with a pulse. Just speculation. I'm not saying they should have looked at the pitt game as a Super Bowl or seen pitt as a world beater, but perhaps they did not take pitt seriously.

Penn State looked very loose in pre-game warm-ups, perhaps too loose. That coupled with Franklin's comments during the week that the team was approaching pitt like any other game makes me wonder if they thought it would be an easy win and weren't ready for a pitt team with a pulse. Just speculation. I'm not saying they should have looked at the pitt game as a Super Bowl or seen pitt as a world beater, but perhaps they did not take pitt seriously.
Franklin does not want his team to peak in week 2.

It was a lackluster win. By the blowout standards predicted by many on this board, we underperformed. We were not punished. We got what we deserved.

It probably did not matter how Penn State played. I contend that a blowout win over pitt would still have been viewed as less impressive than usc's win over stanford and oklahoma's win over Tosu. It's about the strength of schedule.

Almost mentioned above, but not quite, was PSU dropping from #1 after being OSU 63-14 back in 1994.

Also, i wanted PSU yesterday to try for a score on the last play after Pitt called a timeout with 15 seconds to play.

Reactions: m48tank
Penn State 100% controls their own destiny. If we win out, we are in. That's all we have to worry about.

The best news about yesterday is that Ohio State isn't some unbeatable force at home this year. Going to be a tough game but we can go in there and beat them. Northwestern looks like ass. Iowa isn't strong either.

You guys need to make up your minds about whether or not Pitt is a good football team or not. Based upon the blowout predictions from many on this board, Penn State failed to perform as expected. For me, the game went just as expected, and USC deserves to jump over us.

USC jumps us in coaches poll. Now at #5.

Did you not watch the games? ranked USC beat a ranked Stanford team. And OU beat the #2 ranked team. They are rightfully ranked higher than PSU who beat an unranked Pitt team. First week, ALA beat a ranked Florida State team so they're ranking wasn't going anywhere. We dropped one spot. Not a big deal.

O.K., but there's something to be said for being ready and playing your best week after week.

True. Unfortunately, in today's game with the media- you almost need to run up the score or risk falling behind in the rankings. It's the opposite of what PSU has traditionally done but with the 24 hour espn spin/ style points/ "eye test" nonsense it's what they base their reporting and rankings on.

Did you not watch the games? ranked USC beat a ranked Stanford team. And OU beat the #2 ranked team. They are rightfully ranked higher than PSU who beat an unranked Pitt team. First week, ALA beat a ranked Florida State team so they're ranking wasn't going anywhere. We dropped one spot. Not a big deal.
Not a big deal at all. And don't forget that we are #5 and started the season at #6. We are up one spot from where we started, and barely had to break a sweat.

Reactions: m48tank
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT