ADVERTISEMENT

PSU

Steve G

May 29, 2001
Does not have as many elite players as OSU. Has not had as many in the entire Franklin era. Last time PSU matched up physically player for player was in the Paterno era. Today team was the closest its been in the Franklin era, but still not close, maybe 80%. Not sure it's possible to close the talent gap or not. Right now with 10 years of tape, the record says not. Until PSU can close that talent gap, this will be the expected outcome

Only one question - who has the ultimate responsibility to bring on that talent?

I get what your saying, but if this game was in Beaver Stadium, things very well may have been different. It hurts to say, but Allar and company needed to be humbled. They will be better prepared for this moving forward imo...
1-8 before today wasn’t humbling enough? Coach 4-15 and our OC owe the team an apology. What a bleep show today.

• Haha
Reactions: bluehair666
I get what your saying, but if this game was in Beaver Stadium, things very well may have been different. It hurts to say, but Allar and company needed to be humbled. They will be better prepared for this moving forward imo...
Nope!

Does not have as many elite players as OSU. Has not had as many in the entire Franklin era. Last time PSU matched up physically player for player was in the Paterno era. Today team was the closest its been in the Franklin era, but still not close, maybe 80%. Not sure it's possible to close the talent gap or not. Right now with 10 years of tape, the record says not. Until PSU can close that talent gap, this will be the expected outcome

Did you see Allar's throws? That wasn't a talent issue. That was a coaching and QB issue.

Did you see us call three gimmick plays instead of making any effort to establish a running game?

It isn't talent that is the problem.

Yeah it wasn't pretty, but this is the closest talent wise they have gotten to OSU. I was more referring to Allar than Franklin. The speed and athleticism of this team is noteworthy.
1-8 before today wasn’t humbling enough? Coach 4-15 and our OC owe the team an apology. What a bleep show today.

Good God. Do you realize that OSU was without their #1 RB Henderson, their probable 1st round WR Egbuka and their best defensive player so far this year in DB Burke. The excuses get old

Last edited:
Did you see Allar's throws? That wasn't a talent issue. That was a coaching and QB issue.

Did you see us call three gimmick plays instead of making any effort to establish a running game?

I agree the "trick" plays were stupid and waste of opportunity. But how many of PSU players would be starters/ key contributors on OSU and vice versa? And talent acquisition is a coach issue so........

Good God. Do you realize that OSU was without their #1 RB Henderson, their probable 1sy round WR Egbuka and their best defensive player so far this year in DB Burke. The excuses get old
So are you really saying that Home field advantage isn't a thing? I absolutely was not making an excuse. I was making an excuse. I'm sorry you took it as that.

Well, we did find out that one player was not as elite as we hoped/thought/heard/whatever.

At least not today.

Overcoming a perceived lack of talent is what coaches get paid for. It doesn’t happen all the time but should at least happen sometimes. It never happens with Franklin.

I agree the "trick" plays were stupid and waste of opportunity. But how many of PSU players would be starters/ key contributors on OSU and vice versa? And talent acquisition is a coach issue so........

Teams beat teams with worse talent. Our D for example out played its player ranking.

Reactions: donboy6499

They do the trick plays every time. It's not even a surprise. I called it before the game started.

For most of Paterno’s time in te Big Ten we didn’t match up well either against Ohio State or Michigan. Plus Paterno had the advantage of facing John Cooper for much of it.

Reactions: LionDeNittany

I agree. We break off a 20yd run followed by a 15yd run in the first half to set us up in OSU territory and then we proceed to throw the football three times. Maybe I’m missing something, but two consecutive long runs doesn’t qualify as “establishing” the run game. We had a chance to flex some muscle at that point in the game and we didn’t do it. Instead, we did what we always do on offense….something completely absurd that’s lacks any logic and wreaks of “gimmick” football…..

Nobody in the BIG has recruited at the level of OSU the last ten years or so. But they can be beat

I agree. We break off a 20yd run followed by a 15yd run in the first half to set us up in OSU territory and then we proceed to throw the football three times. Maybe I’m missing something, but two consecutive long runs doesn’t qualify as “establishing” the run game. We had a chance to flex some muscle at that point in the game and we didn’t do it. Instead, we did what we always do on offense….something completely absurd that’s lacks any logic and wreaks of “gimmick” football…..

Exactly. And the OSU D was hands on hips ready to get beat at the LOS again.

Our playcalling is totally absurd.

LdN

Nobody in the BIG has recruited at the level of OSU the last ten years or so. But they can be beat
Of course they can - 100% agree. But they showed today what depth is all about with 3 top star players out. But don't kid yourself, the PSU defense is rock solid

Reactions: Westcoast24

I don't know. We were certainly at least one elite player short. Harrison carried the load for OSU. Such a shame we have two stellar RB's that cannot carry the load due to yet another sub par OL.

If you believe the blue chip ratio as a measure of talent, we are 13, one spot ahead of Michigan. Ohio State is 2, only behind AL.

Less talented teams beat more talented teams sometimes.

Not like there’s no one on the roster. Didn’t beat them with Micah, beat them one with Saquon, might have 3 first round picks this year, doesn’t matter.

Heck, Iowa and Purdue have beaten them since PSU has. So has Michigan twice. Not asking to beat them every year. Just more than once a decade.

BWAHAHAHA!

Reactions: donboy6499
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT