ADVERTISEMENT

PSU vs Iowa predictions?

A lot of proverbial ink spilled about Gabe Arnold. Good wrestler, but a guy who struggled to beat a mailing it in Wittlake has a long way to go before he’s winning titles.

Let’s see what happens when Carter leaves and O’Toole moves up to 174. Anyone giving Arnold a chance to beat O’Toole?
Depending on how things shake out I could easily see Arnold never beating a PSU wrestler. He better hope Carter doesn't come back and then hope Mitch or Haines isn't in his weight class. As for old man Arnold, I should probably give him a pass for his comments about the PSU program. I mean, he's probably butt hurt that when Cael made trips to Sem, he was there to mostly see Sealy and Lillendahl.

I can't even remember another time when a parent of a D-1 wrestler offered up his own personal phone number on a message board. He is willling to give insider information to help you understand. How would you pass on that opportunity? You would rather ignore him and keep pushing your own narrative repeatedly like people don't know how you feel already?

Why are you so focused on something Gabe said in high school?

Do you follow Starocci on social media?

Are you Starocci?
I wish I was Starocci, but thank you for even thinking that possible.

Maybe I'll have to listen to it again but I thought at mist they had Iowa winning 3 straight up. Against the spread though they gave Iowa one or two here and there..
Yeah, they set the line on how many matches Iowa would win at 2.5 and were split on over under. I don't think any of them think Iowa is actually going to win, but part of their discussion is debating whether their is a path to victory. Askren basically said their absolute best case is 5-5, but it's really hard to see them winning even with an even split because of bonus potential.

1) you didn’t even use the Preview from the Official Iowa website
2) what does it matter if he is not listed. Bear claw was not listed for the Michigan matchup and he went out there.

This is wrestling after all and a sport that doesn’t gain much interest/attention as it is. We are still going to take what an 18 year old said in HS to heart that you need to continue to crucify him. God forbid he calls out the best because he believes he is the best and wants to take out the best just because he wears the black and gold. Did you want him to say “i want to wrestle 174 and take second to Carter”

I like Arnold’s mentality, and I hope our recruits feel the same way that when they come in that they want to take out the best. Just because it’s not recorded and posted in an interview doesn’t mean that they haven’t vocally said it to family and friends.
I have no problem with him saying he will beat him and be the NC, my issue is saying he is overrated.

It isn't his call on whether he "shows up". It is his coaches call.
I truly doubt a Division 1 wrestler dictates to a coach on who they do and don't want to wrestle. More times than not I think the mentality of a wrestler would be to wrestle the Big Dog.
Coaches would think different.

I like Arnold's mentality, too. He's got the attitude of a champion. If you're going to call someone out like that, though, you should at least show up at the time, too.
Shouldn't he win the spot first?? I mean, if he can't win the wrestle off, he can't be ducking.

For the record, I agree with you. He shot his mouth off and now he can't back it up. It's obvious he can't run with the big dogs. The pup needs to stay on the porch.

I’m soooo excited for this dual. Unfortunately I’m in Ohio working and won’t make Carver this round. We all know that anything can happen, that’s why they wrestle. Is it Friday yet!!!

And THAT is why Cael is the head coach, and we are.........well who we are...pot stirrers!!
Minnesota Vikings Football GIF

Reactions: Eyecatcher
He called out the national champion at 174 and subsequently couldn't even win the slot on his own team.
Or just hear me out for a second…174 gets exponentially weaker next year giving him a fairly decent chance to be a 4 timer.
Playing Devils advocate, it was his choice to RS after he beat PK in a wrestle off.
Just like playing devils advocate, brands decides whether he wants to wrestle Gabe in the dual

The betting line for Fridays dual is -21 .

For what’s it’s worth the opening line against Ohio state last week was -27.

In terms of ducking … Spencer was asked a few weeks back if Suriano ducked him . I’d bet Starocci would have a similar response about Gabe. Sorry to kick the horse another time.

Last edited:
Look, like everyone else here, I have a soft spot for Glazier. Everyone loves a gritty room guy stepping in and winning big matches. It makes it all that much better that he was central to AJ's humiliating behavior along the way. With that said, it's not happening. Not in a million years.
Yea, that's crazy talk. I like Glazier but the undefeated record is a bit misleading; he has wrestled a soft schedule so far. If he goes toe to toe with Brooks, he is going to get majored or worse.

Last edited:
Reactions: hlstone
Yea, that's crazy talk. I like Glazier but the undefeated record is a bit misleading; he has wrestled a soft schedule so far. If he goes toe to toe with Brooks, he is going to get majored or worse.
Just like the rest of the field at 197. Minus Hidlay.

Or just hear me out for a second…174 gets exponentially weaker next year giving him a fairly decent chance to be a 4 timer.
Playing Devils advocate, it was his choice to RS after he beat PK in a wrestle off.
Just like playing devils advocate, brands decides whether he wants to wrestle Gabe in the dual
There are rumors O'Toole might go up to 174 next year. He would be a formidable foe.

Shouldn't he win the spot first?? I mean, if he can't win the wrestle off, he can't be ducking.

For the record, I agree with you. He shot his mouth off and now he can't back it up. It's obvious he can't run with the big dogs. The pup needs to stay on the porch.
This is true. If he can’t even win the spot in his own room, that’s just embarrassing, not ducking. LOL.

The betting line for Fridays dual is -21 .

For what’s it’s worth the opening line against Ohio state last week was -27.

In terms of ducking … Spencer was asked a few weeks back if Suriano ducked him . I’d bet Starocci would have a similar response about Gabe. Sorry to kick the horse another time.
Spencer ducked Suriano. When Suriano came back down to 125, Spencer had surgery despite winning without ACLs the year before.

• Haha
Reactions: dbldoofus
Then that is a classic duck. If true, he’s ducking his challenge to Starocci to take advantage of a weaker field. If Starocci is overrated like he said, why is he not going after him?

Nothing more I'd like to see than an Iowa beatdown. But we aren't going to see the same Hawkeye team that came out flat vs Michigan. Something was off with Woods vs Michigan, and has been most of the season, but I expect him to come out and wrestle much better. And the match is at CHA and we all know Iowa's style of keeping it close. No question our upper weights will carry the day, but this meet will probably be much closer than I thought it would be just a short time ago. I'm concerned about Davis, Bartlett and even Levi. I think we win, but closer than what I'm reading here from many on this forum. In the end we prevail, and I'm still hoping for that beatdown, and will happily eat crow if our wrestlers supply that. I expect a great meet and I'm looking forward to it!

Reactions: Fatmarc
Let's see him prove himself better than Welsh first, before even considering him against O'Toole.

Reactions: danoftw
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT