ADVERTISEMENT

PSU vs Iowa predictions?

I'd estimate the odds of Cael doing this at around 0%.
Correct,

I can predict exactly what will happen regardless of who Iowa sends out there. CStar will wrestle at 174 and Truax at 184. No shenanigans, send your best guy out to wrestle. We will leave those two matches with two wins and 7-10 team points regardless of what Iowa does.

I tend to agree--while Feldcamp is tall (and Arnold is not)--he's also an upper-body first kinda guy, where a lower center of gravity can be an advantage. Bernie's length advantage and quickness seems tailored well for Arnold's strength and position.

I am flabbergasted I am seeing scenarios where we send Carter to 184 if Gabe is there and give PK a much easier match and bump Bernie out lol for the sake of proving a point. Luckily, Cael is more level headed than our fans and probably forgot about a tweet from a high schooler lol

Here's the facts:
1. Carter is our 174, Bernie is our 184
2. PK is their 174, Gabe is redshirting, Riggins is their 184
3. Gabe could wrestle 174 this dual, however, I imagine Brands prefers his intended postseason 174 starter to get a shot at #1
4. Gabe could go 184 as a way to try to steal the match with his defensive style, that is much more likely scenario as the reality is Riggins is not going to qualify for NCAAs

I am flabbergasted I am seeing scenarios where we send Carter to 184 if Gabe is there and give PK a much easier match and bump Bernie out lol for the sake of proving a point. Luckily, Cael is more level headed than our fans and probably forgot about a tweet from a high schooler lol

Here's the facts:
3. Gabe could wrestle 174 this dual, however, I imagine Brands prefers his intended postseason 174 starter to get a shot at #1
4. Gabe could go 184 as a way to try to steal the match with his defensive style, that is much more likely scenario as the reality is Riggins is not going to qualify for NCAAs
Yup. It's fun for fans to speculate but Cael is wrestling his guys at their weights with the goal of getting them prepared for March. I don't think he could care any less about what weight opposing coaches want to start at or how they are moving around their guys to try to win what is essentially a scrimmage.

Here's the facts:
Exactly. Cael doesn't do gimmicks or vaudeville.

Reactions: dbldoofus

Here's the facts:
The only way this would happen is if (assuming the match starts at 125) Penn State is way ahead (won at least 5 of the first 6 or maybe 4 with some bonus), Carter requested the chance to do it since Gabe specifically called him out by name, and Bernie is on board as well. If the match is still in the balance or Carter doesn't care, they will definitely just play it straight. Barraclough could beat Kennedy regardless. He lost to Griffith 2-1 where PK got majored. Anyway, I agree odds are very low that it actually happens.

Reactions: hlstone

Here's the facts:
And THAT is why Cael is the head coach, and we are.........well who we are...pot stirrers!!

The only way this would happen is if (assuming the match starts at 125) Penn State is way ahead (won at least 5 of the first 6 or maybe 4 with some bonus), Carter requested the chance to do it since Gabe specifically called him out by name, and Bernie is on board as well. If the match is still in the balance or Carter doesn't care, they will definitely just play it straight. Barraclough could beat Kennedy regardless. He lost to Griffith 2-1 where PK got majored. Anyway, I agree odds are very low that it actually happens.
PSU can pin the first 6 weights and it still won't happen for two reasons IMO

1. Cael I think would squash any moves like that for the purpose of "grudge matches" It goes against the value of his program, lest us not forget how upset he was with how Carter acted against Washington

2. Brands is 100% not sending Arnold out at 184 if winning the dual isn't feasible anymore

In your opinion, should Gabe's HS boast override Iowa's better chance at a 184 win by wrestling him there against Bernie? And will you acknowledge that it's likely not the kid's call on facing Starocci, nor should it be.

Also, Carter (especially with his MMA mentality) 100% knows how call outs work lol, he is the 3 time champion, Gabe is the true freshman, if you want to face him, you go to his weight, not vice versa. Hell if this was truly MMA format, he could say you haven't earned the match against me yet even lol.

Reactions: PASLP2
It's probably information we don't have but did Arnold lose a wrestleoff to PK or was PK just given the spot since Gabe has a redshirt available.

In your opinion, should Gabe's HS boast override Iowa's better chance at a 184 win by wrestling him there against Bernie? And will you acknowledge that it's likely not the kid's call on facing Starocci, nor should it be.
Gabe should be wrestling at 174 in this match. He needed to win the spot for that, though, so if Kennedy beat him in a wrestle-off for the spot (which I guess I should call Coach Phil and ask him, LOL), then the whole discussion is pointless, but if he won the challenge, then he should back up his words and be there on the mat waiting for Starocci, not duck him. I get that Brands (likely) told him he's going to redshirt, so the second part of his boast that he's going to win the 174 title this year isn't a reality anymore, but he could at least show up for the dual if he's going to call out a 3-timer like that. They aren't winning the dual either way.

I still love watching the video of this and seeing the Iowa fan in white celebrating, thinking Brooks got the pin, only to be corrected by his Buddy : )

I'm predicting CHA will be quieter on Friday night than when Bo Nickal pinned Sammy Brooks with a spladle. Got your token Hawkeye fan in the white T calling for a Nickal stall when he has Brooks so tight all he can do is wiggle his feet.

maxresdefault.jpg

Gabe should be wrestling at 174 in this match. He needed to win the spot for that, though, so if Kennedy beat him in a wrestle-off for the spot (which I guess I should call Coach Phil and ask him, LOL), then the whole discussion is pointless, but if he won the challenge, then he should back up his words and be there on the mat waiting for Starocci, not duck him. I get that Brands (likely) told him he's going to redshirt, so the second part of his boast that he's going to win the 174 title this year isn't a reality anymore, but he could at least show up for the dual if he's going to call out a 3-timer like that. They aren't winning the dual either way.
So you're saying his HS boast "should" override any team decision his coach might make?

Or at least give him a callback...

Reactions: PSU Mike
So you're saying his HS boast "should" override any team decision his coach might make?
Only if he actually beat PK for the spot. If he won the spot, he should have some say in where he goes. The whole point is moot if PK won the spot in the room. If Brands cared about maximizing team points and Gabe has no say in where he goes, then he'd have been wrestling 184 all season. Remember, Gabe himself said after the CyHawk dual he doesn't believe he is a good 184 and doesn't want to go there, so I don't think we'll see him there at all. It's either, he's beating PK in the room and is given a chance to get the guy he called out or it's just PK and Riggins and business as normal.

Not listed in Iowa's lineup.

how-to-draw-a-duck-photo-1.jpg

Yeah, 184 is also a duck. He called Starocci overrated. He said he was coming for Starocci. He said he would beat Starocci and win NCAAs at 174 this year. It's pretty weak to not even show up.

I really hope that Barraclough makes the trip. If Arnold weighs in at 184 (i.e. not 174 at all), then Cael can use Barraclough against PK and let C-Star go duck hunting anyway.

Excuses are for wusses. It's a duck.

Getting called out for what? Saying Gabe is spineless and ducking Starocci? I'll say it again if you want.

So did you call coach Phil yet? Or just repeatedly running your mouth? Give him a call. Learn something new today.

"I'm not worried about Drake beating Davis at all. I actually see a path for a major. I see multiple takedowns by Drake and he'll feed off of the home crowd. And Davis will be backing up Lilledahl next year. He's not the same level of recruit that Drake or Luke were/are."

Lurking on HR, this is an interesting take, There's nothing wrong with taking Drake at all, I see a lot of Penn State fans saying the same. Especially at home. There's always a path to a major with 3 point takedowns also.

But it seems his logic is because Davis was a mid tier recruit in HS. You'd think that goes out the door at this point now that he has actual college results which includes beating DeAugustino and Kaylor, which Drake failed to do.

I guess Riggins should be a favorite over Truax seeing how Riggins was a solid HS recruit (Top 25) and Truax probably wasn't even ranked! How in the world was 73rd ranked 2021 recruit Michael Caliendo able to beat Top 5 2020 recruit Pat Kennedy?

Only if he actually beat PK for the spot. If he won the spot, he should have some say in where he goes. The whole point is moot if PK won the spot in the room. If Brands cared about maximizing team points and Gabe has no say in where he goes, then he'd have been wrestling 184 all season. Remember, Gabe himself said after the CyHawk dual he doesn't believe he is a good 184 and doesn't want to go there, so I don't think we'll see him there at all. It's either, he's beating PK in the room and is given a chance to get the guy he called out or it's just PK and Riggins and business as normal.
Fair points. Let’s see how it plays out.

So did you call coach Phil yet? Or just repeatedly running your mouth? Give him a call. Learn something new today.
He should definitely give him a call, maybe he could learn who taught Gabe how to spank another wrestler.

Not listed in Iowa's lineup.

how-to-draw-a-duck-photo-1.jpg
1) you didn’t even use the Preview from the Official Iowa website
2) what does it matter if he is not listed. Bear claw was not listed for the Michigan matchup and he went out there.

This is wrestling after all and a sport that doesn’t gain much interest/attention as it is. We are still going to take what an 18 year old said in HS to heart that you need to continue to crucify him. God forbid he calls out the best because he believes he is the best and wants to take out the best just because he wears the black and gold. Did you want him to say “i want to wrestle 174 and take second to Carter”

I like Arnold’s mentality, and I hope our recruits feel the same way that when they come in that they want to take out the best. Just because it’s not recorded and posted in an interview doesn’t mean that they haven’t vocally said it to family and friends.

Listen, he was a high school kid who made a call out. It's over and done with. He probably shouldn't have done it, though, I don't mind it as much as some others seem to.

We all like to nudge each other, but, even if Gabe is begging to wrestle 174 on Friday night, this is not his call, so, he is not ducking. It is his coaches call whether or not they use him and at what weight they do so.

I do not have any interest in that at all. Thanks, though.
I can't even remember another time when a parent of a D-1 wrestler offered up his own personal phone number on a message board. He is willling to give insider information to help you understand. How would you pass on that opportunity? You would rather ignore him and keep pushing your own narrative repeatedly like people don't know how you feel already?

Why are you so focused on something Gabe said in high school?

Do you follow Starocci on social media?

Are you Starocci?

Has anyone been listening to these crazies from Flo wrestling this week? They make it sound like we shouldn’t even show up. They think we could lose 4 to 5 matches, Davis, Bartlett, Haines, Messenbrink and if they bring Arnold out he will win to is this their first year of watching Psu wrestling? These guys aren’t to smart

Reactions: dbldoofus
A lot of proverbial ink spilled about Gabe Arnold. Good wrestler, but a guy who struggled to beat a mailing it in Wittlake has a long way to go before he’s winning titles.

Let’s see what happens when Carter leaves and O’Toole moves up to 174. Anyone giving Arnold a chance to beat O’Toole?

Reactions: Split shot
Has anyone been listening to these crazies from Flo wrestling this week? They make it sound like we shouldn’t even show up. They think we could lose 4 to 5 matches, Davis, Bartlett, Haines, Messenbrink and if they bring Arnold out he will win to is this their first year of watching Psu wrestling? These guys aren’t to smart
Midwest Wrestling Mafia - it’s a thing

Reactions: dicemen99
Maybe I'll have to listen to it again but I thought at mist they had Iowa winning 3 straight up. Against the spread though they gave Iowa one or two here and there..

1) you didn’t even use the Preview from the Official Iowa website
2) what does it matter if he is not listed. Bear claw was not listed for the Michigan matchup and he went out there.

This is wrestling after all and a sport that doesn’t gain much interest/attention as it is. We are still going to take what an 18 year old said in HS to heart that you need to continue to crucify him. God forbid he calls out the best because he believes he is the best and wants to take out the best just because he wears the black and gold. Did you want him to say “i want to wrestle 174 and take second to Carter”

I like Arnold’s mentality, and I hope our recruits feel the same way that when they come in that they want to take out the best. Just because it’s not recorded and posted in an interview doesn’t mean that they haven’t vocally said it to family and friends.
I like Arnold's mentality, too. He's got the attitude of a champion. If you're going to call someone out like that, though, you should at least show up at the time, too.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT