ADVERTISEMENT

PSU Run D vs. Michigan Run O

wrestler_149

Sep 20, 2017
To me it seems like with the exception of Iowa, our Run D has been suspect at times. Could have been just the scheme, but I feel its possible we have trouble against the Michigan run. Heres hoping I am wrong.

To me it seems like with the exception of Iowa, our Run D has been suspect at times. Could have been just the scheme, but I feel its possible we have trouble against the Michigan run. Heres hoping I am wrong.

Overall, I believe we will stop their running game. We will crowd the LOS, and force them to throw. We do have trouble with gap control at times, usually when we get caught in a blitz, so they may get to the second level on occasion, but our secondary speed is pretty good. I don't think O'Korn can beat us. On the other side of the ball, if the only running play they have to defend is the RPO, then we could be in the same boat. They will press our receivers and come after Trace. The OLine better come to play.

PSU had Iowa pinned deep to start most of their drives. Iowa didn't have much of a passing game and they played conservative given the field position. PSU defenders crowded the LOS like I've seldom seen.

I think the reason PSU's run defense has sometimes been slightly suspect is because they don't stay in a typical 4-3 alignment. They often have 1 or 2 LBs lined up at the LOS and they do a lot of blitzing. That leaves them more exposed but also results in a lot of tackles for loss. To be honest it makes me nervous at times. It will be interesting to see how they do against quality teams like they'll be facing over the next few weeks.

I think the run D got off to a slow start in the first few games while they were adjusting to how the rotations were rolling. Since the Iowa game, it's been about as good as any. I worry a little bit about O'Korn scrambling because he has seemed to have a knack for making something off the broken play....so need to get him on the ground.

Straight up though, I think our run D will be fine this weekend. Michigan is 65th in the nation in yds per rush...and while that's better than most teams we've faced, it's no exactly elite. PSU is actually 45th and we've been struggling the past few weeks.

Reactions: Cpeplion
It may be that Harbaugh has given up on a balanced offense for this year. If so be prepared for double tight I formation smash mouth old school big 10 football. They could be better at running that, than PSU is stopping it. Running a goal line offense all over the field. coupled with perhaps the nations best field goal kicker is not a bad formula to keep the score very low. I don't discount their defense. PSU will have to be ahead by 2 scores in order to make Michigan play the kind of game PSU is comfortable with.

I suspect the reason why Penn State's rushing defense has seemed suspect is largely due to the pass defense being legitimately one of the best units in college football. Penn State ranks as an above-average overall rush defense right now, but it's borderline elite in terms of the number of running plays it stops at the line of scrimmage or in the backfield.

I suspect Michigan is going to try and challenge that because they have to feel like they just might not be able to throw the ball at all against us. The emphasis for Michigan will need to be on avoiding getting stuffed on first downs - they run the ball 65% of the time on standard downs and 40% of the time on obvious passing downs, so I'd be surprised if they threw the ball more than two or three times on first down. Michigan's really, really good in short yardage situations, but they actually hasn't been all that successful running the ball on a play-by-play basis this year. So, I'd guess that the gameplan for Penn State will be largely similar to the gameplan for Iowa - run blitz heavy on first down to try and keep them behind the sticks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT