ADVERTISEMENT

PSU Men's Soccer Recruiting Questions - Anyone interested??

FourDGlory

Oct 27, 2001
I realize this is not a huge topic around here, but I thought I would give it a try and see what people think.....

Generally a really good team, near the top of the Big Ten.
But why this year only 1 recruit I can see?
Are they getting a bunch of internationals coming in and they are waiting for the paperwork?
Also, their recruiting seems to be either internationals or Academy only. No other recruiting in the top tier of USYSA.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Given Bob Warming's reputation and success at prior stops, his Penn State recruiting has been a disappointment to me. His recruiting classes usually include a couple transfers and a lot of kids who have potential but rarely are at the top of recruiting lists. A lot of highly touted Pennsylvania scholastic soccer players don't end up at Penn State. I also sense that Warming has a narrow skills and personality profile that he seeks in recruits.

Last edited:
What are those narrow skills and personality do you think he seeks? Some success with 2 kids drafted this year into the MLS but I agree not great classes. Lots of PA, NY and MD kids are around and he does not seem to get many.

Generally a really good team, near the top of the Big Ten.
But why this year only 1 recruit I can see?
Are they getting a bunch of internationals coming in and they are waiting for the paperwork?
Also, their recruiting seems to be either internationals or Academy only. No other recruiting in the top tier of USYSA.

Any thoughts?

the timing of the releases is somewhat misleading. Last year, PSU announced the signing of 6 freshmen in late June. That was in addition to the 2 freshmen and 3 transfers that joined the team for the Spring '16 season. As such, PSU signed 11 new players last year.

If I recall correctly, PSU only had 6 seniors on the '16 squad. They've only announced 1 signing in the spring period. I don't know the numbers for the soccer team, and since scholarships are partial and can be split a lot of ways, that's usually pretty closely held info.

Based on what they did last year, I can see two options:

- they signed a really big class last year, and have very few openings this year
- they will announce the remainder of the signings in May or June, after some of the current seniors have graduated

Given Bob Warming's reputation and success at prior stops, his Penn State recruiting has been a disappointment to me. His recruiting classes usually include a couple transfers and a lot of kids who have potential but rarely are at the top of recruiting lists. A lot of highly touted Pennsylvania scholastic soccer players don't end up at Penn State. I also sense that Warming has a narrow skills and personality profile that he seeks in recruits.
I'm a bit biased as I was friends with Barry. However, I'll try to be fair. I'm not sure the switch improved our competitive level any. PA is pretty darn good in youth soccer, and I expected a bit more. We're pretty much at the same level as we were under Barry.

But I also saw Warming as a transition coach as he was close to 60 when he got here. I'd not be surprised if he retired in the next couple of years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT