ADVERTISEMENT

PSU MBB vs #13 Virginia Tech on BTN right now.

Only at Penn State do we beat a ranked team in basketball, and then proceed to argue why the team we beat really isn’t that good, and therefore it’s not really that impressive of a win. o_O

We hate us.

Great win and was watching most of it. Certainly made a difference with Watkins in there affecting the play around the hoop. Can someone help me on one thing I missed. In the 2nd half, near the end, Watkins wasn't on the floor for quite a while. I missed parts of the game so I didn't see when he went out. Did he foul out? I don't recall him racking up a bunch of fouls. I saw Wheeler foul out but missed what happened with Watkins.

Great win and was watching most of it. Certainly made a difference with Watkins in there affecting the play around the hoop. Can someone help me on one thing I missed. In the 2nd half, near the end, Watkins wasn't on the floor for quite a while. I missed parts of the game so I didn't see when he went out. Did he foul out? I don't recall him racking up a bunch of fouls. I saw Wheeler foul out but missed what happened with Watkins.

I don't think Watkins had more than 2 fouls. My guess is that he needed a rest.

Harrar played some valuable minutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: bison13
Chambers after the game mentioned that Mike was GASSED. It's his first game back, that will improve.

Question for anyone there last night...was Satchel Pierce on the bench? On TV, I didn’t see him in any of the huddles.

Nice win. A couple of things bode well for this team:

- PSU won a game where Stevens only scored 14 points, indicating more balanced scoring.
- PSU had 8 players who played 18 or more minutes, again indicating more balance and depth (although Stevens still played 38 minutes). VT had 4 players who played at least 32 minutes! (very little depth apparently)

Watkins will improve quickly as his conditioning improves and he gets more game reps. The freshman will continue to improve. I'm looking forward to what they can do the remainder of the season, barring injuries.

Big win by PSU. If I had to pick a NC right now, I'd have to go with Michigan. They have a complete team

This game will be HUGE for our resume come March. We will have some big wins in conference this year, but nothing adds to a resume like big wins in the OOC -- it has been a long time since we've had this early luxury. Now, let's go and get a few more in @ Bama and NC State on a neutral floor.

Add an OOC win like this to last year's resume, and we may have gone dancing. I also loved that we didn't rush the floor last night - I expected a win in this one with Watkins back (call me crazy, call me a homer, but he does a LOT for this team and also allows Harrar to play harder and less tentative about fouling and Buttrick to remain at the 4).

We are 1-0 in our new season - don't for a second think that the committee will not consider that our 2 close losses came without Watkins.

If this team can stay healthy and eligible, I 100% believe that they have what it takes to dance, and that they will dance. Let's get another resume win @ UMD on Saturday! Is anyone else going??

Big win by PSU. If I had to pick a NC right now, I'd have to go with Michigan. They have a complete team
NC's are not won or lost in November. It is a loonnnggg season - every team will look different come March. How many people would have, very nearly, picked a UM vs NW BTCC back after the first two weeks of football this season?? Way to early for that

Chambers after the game mentioned that Mike was GASSED. It's his first game back, that will improve.
Watkins actually played more minutes than Harrar. I was surprised Buttrick didnt get a couple more minutes at the 5, especially after he hit the 3. Hes going to need to give a spot 2-3 minutes each half for Lamar. Cant expect him to go 38+ each game.And as I said before, get something for Dread going to the hoop. Need him to get something on the board early, he's a big guy for a 2, get him a post up and possible FT attmpts.

Reactions: Yboby and PSU&Trout
Yeah, Chambers commented that he played Mike a few too many minutes
There was one point in the game where coming back up the floor Watkins looked over at bench and let it be known he needed a sub. Chambers saw it but had to wait for next break in play, which I think actually was Watkins' second foul because he was gassed. Watkins still made some key plays and definitely made a positive difference.

6a00d8341f704253ef0167647da32a970b-800wi

Does the floor open up to reveal a pool underneath??

Reactions: fairgambit
We are 1-0 in our new season - don't for a second think that the committee will not consider that our 2 close losses came without Watkins.
They didn’t consider it last year that we lost some games without Reaves.

They didn’t consider it last year that we lost some games without Reaves.
How do you know? They could have obviously considered it and determined we still weren’t one of the best 36 teams to select. We weren’t really that close last year.

How do you know? They could have obviously considered it and determined we still weren’t one of the best 36 teams to select. We weren’t really that close last year.
We already have more bad OOC losses this year than last year, so I’m not sure how close we will be this year either.

We already have more bad OOC losses this year than last year, so I’m not sure how close we will be this year either.
Ummm, Bradley at neutral will be a Quad 2/3 loss most likely. Depaul on the road will probably be quad 3. Those aren't total killer losses.

The rap last year was our ONLY quad 1 wins were 3 against the same team (OSU). That likely will not be the case this year.

VT will be a quad 1 win, and we have a shot at possibly 2 more -- @ Bama and neutral against NC St. This OOC is quite a bit better than last year's. It is not all about who you have lost to, losses happen, but also who you have beat - which we have the opportunity to put up a nice resume, and that started with this win.

Last edited:
Still hard to believe PSU went 3-0 vs tOSU last year.....
Which was the rap about us -- it was attributed to just a bad match-up for them, not us being necessarily good, since those were our ONLY quad 1 wins. Now, this year, we already have 1 quad 1 victory. This Saturday is a chance to pick up our second quad 1 win in out first 7 games --- that is light ears ahead of last year.

FWIW, I would be willing to bet that Bradley is dancing this year (currently 6-1). Wright State may be as well, which we beat on a neutral floor... that may be a quad 2 win to add to our resume

Our non-conf schedule was awful last year and is much better this year. Best win last year was what? Montana? And the Rider loss was much worse than anything we’ve done yet.

Reactions: OzLion
FWIW, I would be willing to bet that Bradley is dancing this year (currently 6-1).

Better get good odds on that bet. The Valley is a one bid league this year, and they’re about the 3rd best team (without much separation in the top 4-5).

Better get good odds on that bet. The Valley is a one bid league this year, and they’re about the 3rd best team (without much separation in the top 4-5).
Yeah, I was thinking that they would be in contention to win that conference -- we'll see, you never know about those 1-bid conference tourneys

RealTimeRPI.com has PSU at 42 right now. The lions moved up 39 points by beating VTech. What impressed me is that our SOS is good and isn't littered with 200+ teams OOC. Looks like we did scheduling right this time, and got a key early win that makes up the ground lost with the two losses.

(Note to self: if I start getting excited they lose, but if I write them off they win)

Reactions: 81b&w
RealTimeRPI.com has PSU at 42 right now. The lions moved up 39 points by beating VTech. What impressed me is that our SOS is good and isn't littered with 200+ teams OOC. Looks like we did scheduling right this time, and got a key early win that makes up the ground lost with the two losses.

(Note to self: if I start getting excited they lose, but if I write them off they win)

Not from an RPI perspective. A home win evens out ONE road loss (DePaul), but not the neutral court loss (Bradley).

Our non-conf schedule was awful last year and is much better this year. Best win last year was what? Montana? And the Rider loss was much worse than anything we’ve done yet.
A better OOC schedule doesn’t mean much if you don’t win. If we lose to NC State and Bama then one win over VT will be wiped out by losses to DePaul and Bradley. No one is going to be trying to find reasons to put PSU in the tournament...they’ll be looking for reasons not to and those two losses and if we lose any more of our “winnable” games that will be more than enough reason to not put us in.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT