ADVERTISEMENT

PSU has two (maybe 3) potential Achilles' Heels to attack on Saturday

stormingnorm

Aug 2, 2017
And that's stretching the definition of "Achilles Heel" a bit:

1) OSU does not pass protect well (that's actually the one true weakness on their squad).
Especially for a team that rarely has been in a position where they "have to" throw, and with a very mobile QB...…. if PSU doesn't find a way to exploit this to the tune of 3+ sacks. Uh Oh.

2) They are not as rugged against the run as one might expect... and they are reluctant to bring an extra defender down in the box unless they have to.

FWIW: Actual "run plays" (not counting sacks, reverses, and what not) for B10 teams against OSU:

IU: 10 carries for 23 yds
UNL: 35 for 207
MSU: 20 for 86
NW: 33 for 117
UW: 28 for 110
UMD: 23 for 106
RU: 30 for 76
Folks aren't exactly tearing up the OSU Defense (and have often fallen so far behind that they simply stopped trying).... but the record to date at least provides a glimmer of hope that a "decent" ground game is a possibility.

3) Their Punter is very slow getting punts off. A chance for a block?

That's about it. Everywhere else they have "Sunday Talent" and a very solid, well-coached scheme.

I can't imagine a path for PSU to win without making some positive work out of items 1 and 2.

Last edited:
If you watched the first half of the Wisconsin game, they had Fields on the ropes and were roughing him up. They just ran out of gas, but that could be a blueprint for Pry to use.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Journey showed against a decent Indiana run defense that not only can he run outside, but he can run inside. Also, I expect Noah to be back this week, so that will be a nice one, two punch to have for this game. We need to establish the run game early to take the pressure off Sean.

Terrifies me that we will probably send our best tackler after Fields all day and they will kill us with the 6 yard cross and go for 30.

we need to stay away from the big hit score.....I am not sure what that means. Maybe have a spy on fields and everyone else drops back.

Maybe go with an outside 2 of Oweh and Shaka and move YGM inside with a rotation of Winsdor and Shelton and hope those 4 can get to fields.

The blitz just scares me because our blitz packages stink and every qb looks like Johhny Unitis against us.

I am afraid what a real QB will do and thats why i want to drop all backers and db's and hope to get to fields with the DL.

1) OSU does not pass protect well (that's actually the one true weakness on their squad).
Especially for a team that rarely has been in a position where they "have to" throw, and with a very mobile QB...…. if PSU doesn't find a way to exploit this to the tune of 3+ sacks. Uh Oh.

2) They are not as rugged against the run as one might expect... and they are reluctant to bring an extra defender down in the box unless they have to.

That's about it. Everywhere else they have "Sunday Talent" and a very solid, well-coached scheme.

I can't imagine a path for PSU to win without making some positive work out of items 1 and 2.

Our punt return team seems to a) get it's best pressure and b) create running lanes for a return when we are in an all out block scheme. If we don't rush, punters go extra slow and kick high. Seems we should feign all out rush even if we don't.

I'm hoping all of our substitution at CB pays off. I think we have to use 3-4 CBs to cover their WRs.

Dobbins is going to be a handful. I think we have to pinch him inside. DTs and LBs will have to step up big. Penetration, early contact, wrap up whoever has the ball.

Not sure that 1 is a function of Pass Pro or a young, mobile QB trying to do too much with his legs and extend a play versus learning when to throw it away and move on to the next one. In any event, poor protection or no, he has been guilty of holding on to the ball too long and taken a bunch of unnecessary sacks. He's a bright kid and eager to learn, so hopeful that improvement is in the works for the tough stretch of the season. He will have to play his best game to date this weekend to be sure.

Curious as to 2....run defense has been very stingy all year, ranking among national leaders and flat stoned one of the most highly regarded rushing attacks in the country. Wisky ran for 360 against the stripeheads and only managed 83 against us. What is it that you saw that would suggest run defense as a potential weakness? Just curious....

Reactions: Pittski

Trouble is, Penn State doesn't rush the passer well, nor can they run the ball well. Not sure these perceived weaknesses can be exploited on Saturday. As far as blocking a punt, you're assuming OSU will be doing much of that?

I am not sure you need anybody else in the box when you have somebody inside as quick as #9 Here he is so quick they miss the double team on him....

3:35 of the tape link not working correctly

That's kind of the point :)

(Also....OSU throws less than PSU / OSU has faced fewer third and longs than PSU / OSU has rarely (never?) been in a game situation where the defense knew they could play pass first / OSU has faced one good pass rush D, and one decent one... the rest, not..... and they have 20+ sacks allowed :) Or - one could watch them play :) .…... )

PSU gets sacked on 7.2% of its passes. OSU gets sacked on 6.8% of its passes.

PSU has been sacked 7 times on 3rd and long. OSU has been sacked 5 times on 3rd and long (proportionate to what you noted, PSU has more 3rd and longs).

Nice try

2) They are not as rugged against the run as one might expect.

1. Fields is completing 69% of his passes and he has 31 TDs vs 1 INT
  2. Wisconsin rushed for 83 yards against OSU
IMO PSU needs to win the turnover battle and score at least 1 TD with special teams or defense.

I saw Rutgers stop them on four downs inside the five. OSU was leading by 3 TD’s at the time, and it was the first half.
The problem with OSU is they can bust your defense so many different ways with big plays and, given the way our secondary has been playing, that means trouble for us if we want to keep them under 35 - 40.

The OSU Pass protection is fine, in fact I would say great-to-elite.

The problem is Fields will not run the ball under almost any circumstance. I've watched him literally have 10 seconds to find someone downfield; and well after he should have just run it he's still skating around trying to make the TD-bomb happen. THAT is what you need to exploit. Keep our receivers covered long enough and his history shows he'll hold it instead of pulling a JT Barrett and carving you up with his legs. But that's a lot easier said than done.

You may be onto something with the Punter. Historically he's one of the best in the country; but he's been a bit shaky the last 3ish weeks.

The OSU Pass protection is fine, in fact I would say great-to-elite.

The problem is Fields will not run the ball under almost any circumstance. I've watched him literally have 10 seconds to find someone downfield; and well after he should have just run it he's still skating around trying to make the TD-bomb happen. THAT is what you need to exploit. Keep our receivers covered long enough and his history shows he'll hold it instead of pulling a JT Barrett and carving you up with his legs. But that's a lot easier said than done.

You may be onto something with the Punter. Historically he's one of the best in the country; but he's been a bit shaky the last 3ish weeks.

I think fields will run more in this game. He hasn't really had to, and what better of a time than to show a new wrinkle... As much as I hate to admit it, PSU has a tough time adjusting to things they haven't seen on tape...

Terrifies me that we will probably send our best tackler after Fields all day and they will kill us with the 6 yard cross and go for 30.

we need to stay away from the big hit score.....I am not sure what that means. Maybe have a spy on fields and everyone else drops back.

Maybe go with an outside 2 of Oweh and Shaka and move YGM inside with a rotation of Winsdor and Shelton and hope those 4 can get to fields.

The blitz just scares me because our blitz packages stink and every qb looks like Johhny Unitis against us.

I am afraid what a real QB will do and thats why i want to drop all backers and db's and hope to get to fields with the DL.
I agree, I would not blitz them. Let the LBers and secondary play straight up to protect the middle of the field and let the safeties help on deep patterns instead of leaving secondary players alone to cover. We just do not have that type of skill set on the secondary.
If Pry blitzes, PSU is toast.

Reactions: PSUFBFAN and ftlpsu
Instead of trying to assist with run defense, I would actually have Parsons be Fields’ designated stalker. Parsons goes where Fields goes and hits him at every possibly opportunity, even if it includes a few 15 yd personal fouls in the process.
Not a bad idea.

Trouble is, Penn State doesn't rush the passer well, nor can they run the ball well. Not sure these perceived weaknesses can be exploited on Saturday.
I have some hope we can run the ball if we Rahne commits to the run even if down by a score or two and commits to using Brown/Cain instead of switching backs every series.

But totally agree on the pass rush. It has been flat out horrible recently and frankly mediocre at best all season against opponents not named Idaho and Purdue. Heartening to hear OSU's pass protection may be somewhat vulnerable, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

I have some hope we can run the ball if we Rahne commits to the run even if down by a score or two and commits to using Brown/Cain instead of switching backs every series.

But totally agree on the pass rush. It has been flat out horrible recently and frankly mediocre at best all season against opponents not named Idaho and Purdue. Heartening to hear OSU's pass protection may be somewhat vulnerable, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Hard to get pressure when the QB lets it fly within 2 seconds. The secondary has to figure out a way to mess with the timing of this. OSU will clearly see this on tape and try to exploit it.

LionJim snuck in an algorithm when the site was being coded
A question for you

Why did your sig pic dolly wear a shirt that clearly has a stain near her right wrist? It really detracts from her photo. :cool:

Last edited:
Trouble is, Penn State doesn't rush the passer well, nor can they run the ball well. Not sure these perceived weaknesses can be exploited on Saturday. As far as blocking a punt, you're assuming OSU will be doing much of that?
After you dig the foxhole for me, just leave.

1. You can't spy Fields with Parsons. Parsons is the only play that consistently make tackles on the other players. I wish they would go with a 3-4 for this game and let Brandon Smith come in and run with Fields.

2. Will this be the first real weather game for Fields? Certainly, coming from Georgia he can't be used to rainy, snowy sleet....

Reactions: djr4rebs
1. You can't spy Fields with Parsons. Parsons is the only play that consistently make tackles on the other players. I wish they would go with a 3-4 for this game and let Brandon Smith come in and run with Fields.

2. Will this be the first real weather game for Fields? Certainly, coming from Georgia he can't be used to rainy, snowy sleet....

Love the idea of #1. I mean, we have not been getting home on our pass rush with the 4. This way, you gain some flexibility with what you do in coverage vs pass rush. It's a wrinkle they don't have on tape.

I would be shocked if they don’t use a lot of “spying” on Fields..... and most prominently with Parsons. For any number of reasons - not the least of which is maximizing the involvement and potential impact of one of your most “impactful” defenders.

The season is on the line right here. If OSU is just simply too talented and nothing we throw at them works, so be it. I'd not leave anything unattempted. 2 man rush, or 8 man all out!

Have fun with it. We're favored to lose by 2 TDs and a FG (could be higher by now, only follow the line by threads here). It ain't gonna hurt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT