ADVERTISEMENT

PSU D-LINE: A Positive Outlook

anacreon3

Gold Member
Writer looks like a snot-nosed kid (article from Fansided-Victory Bell Rings)... regardless, still reasons to be optimistic.

Penn State Football: Defensive line returns bevy of players

by Collin Wieder

Penn State football’s defensive line contains a loaded depth chart. At all spots, the Nittany Lions contain an abundance of playmakers.

Big Ten quarterbacks beware, Penn State football’s pass rush is on the hunt. Between all its defensive linemen, the Nittany Lions return nine playmakers that saw significant time last year. The production proves substantial as well with 21.5 sacks returning from those nine key players. The best part for the Nittany Lions, all these guys can do different things.

From speedy edge rushers to run-stuffing defensive tackles, this front could be top 25 in the nation. Last year alone they helped hold opponents to just 16.5 points per game. With that experience and another offseason under their belts, they could overwhelm offenses across the Big Ten.

The scary part about this defensive line is that they can be so multiple. PSU defensive line coach Sean Spencer and defensive coordinator Brent Pry like to rotate players in constantly to keep the pressure on.

Defensive Ends, edge rushers

Speed kills and it’s all over the place for Penn State. This position group begins with an out-of-this-world talent in Shareef Miller. The speedy edge rusher shows unreal potential and is due for a big season. Miller recorded 22 tackles and 1.5 sacks his freshman year and followed that up with a huge boost in production as a sophomore.

He came up with 38 stops and 5.5 sacks with 11.5 tackles for loss. Miller takes the charge here and should see his numbers increase into double-digits.

The speed Miller brings off the edge is only amplified by a just as athletic Shaka Toney. Both bring the pain once they get to the quarterback with blinding speed. Toney recorded 3.5 sacks in his redshirt freshman season, giving Penn State multiple smaller speedsters on the edge. Miller has the prototype physique at 6-foot-5, 255 pounds while Toney plays like a linebacker at 6-foot-3 and 225 pounds.

Torrence Brown, Daniel Joseph Yetur Gross-Matos round out the speedy group. After suffering a season-ending injury against Georgia State, Brown missed the final 10 games of the year. However, he has solid production returning with 52 career tackles and 12.5 tackles for loss. If he can recover, that’ll add more rotational players to the lineup.

Matos pile up 17 tackles as a true freshman and showed real promise as an athletic pass rusher. Joseph didn’t get the same in-game reps like Matos did, but he made the most of his snaps. He recorded 11 tackles and three sacks waxing offensive lines with his jetliner speed. His similar body type and blistering speed makes him a breakout candidate for the next few years.

Edge Setters

Obviously Penn State football’s D-Line speed is paramount as noted by the first group. Still, it carries a few prototypical defense ends as well. Shane Simmons and Ryan Buchholz headline this list. They flat out bully offensive lineman. Simmons has the strength and size to move offensive lineman.

Simmons is actually similar in size to a lot of the team’s defensive ends, but he pushes blockers around with elite strength. He recorded 15 tackles and 4.5 tackles for loss in his freshman year. When he came out of high school as a four-star recruit, he was just 221 pounds. He sat out the 2016 season as a redshirt, putting on almost 30 pounds to beef up his 6-foot-3 frame.

Before the start of the season, I wrote that once he gets his lanky reach on an offensive lineman, it’s over. His range makes him a perfect edge setter because he can move offensive tackles around – that makes him a problem in the run game.

Buchholz is built to stop the run but in a different way. It’s all about the size and strength here. His 6-foot-6, 273-pound body is a rock on the line. He can’t be moved and that’s what makes a nuisance to pickup in run blocking.

In two years he’s put up 33 tackles, six tackles for loss and four sacks. With two years of eligibility left and paired up with another youngster this part of the line can only get better.

Defensive Tackles

The one spot that might falter the Penn State football defensive line early on this year it’s the interior. Lost in the shuffle of seven returning defensive ends is just two returners in the middle. Curtis Cothran and Parker Cothren graduated leaving Penn State thin at defensive tackle.

Still, they have two proven guys back in juniors Kevin Givens and Robert Windsor. Both play with a similar 1-2 style to Simmons and Buchholz. One plays with speed and the other attacks with prototypical size.

Givens is the sawed-off inside tackle at 6-1, 281-pounds. He can get to the quarterback in a hurry, flashing tons of speed for an interior defensive lineman. In two years he’s built up some nice numbers, recording 50 tackles and 8.5 sacks.

Windsor is the productive, run-stuffing big boy inside. At 6-foot-4, 295 pounds, he adds the size to a lightning-quick defense, piling up 42 tackles, four tackles for loss and three sacks. With almost 100 combined tackles between both players in two years, offenses should be running for their lives.

https://victorybellrings.com/2018/05/25/penn-state-football-line-returns/

Writer looks like a snot-nosed kid (article from Fansided-Victory Bell Rings)... regardless, still reasons to be optimistic.

Penn State Football: Defensive line returns bevy of players

by Collin Wieder

Penn State football’s defensive line contains a loaded depth chart. At all spots, the Nittany Lions contain an abundance of playmakers.

Big Ten quarterbacks beware, Penn State football’s pass rush is on the hunt. Between all its defensive linemen, the Nittany Lions return nine playmakers that saw significant time last year. The production proves substantial as well with 21.5 sacks returning from those nine key players. The best part for the Nittany Lions, all these guys can do different things.

From speedy edge rushers to run-stuffing defensive tackles, this front could be top 25 in the nation. Last year alone they helped hold opponents to just 16.5 points per game. With that experience and another offseason under their belts, they could overwhelm offenses across the Big Ten.

The scary part about this defensive line is that they can be so multiple. PSU defensive line coach Sean Spencer and defensive coordinator Brent Pry like to rotate players in constantly to keep the pressure on.

Defensive Ends, edge rushers

Speed kills and it’s all over the place for Penn State. This position group begins with an out-of-this-world talent in Shareef Miller. The speedy edge rusher shows unreal potential and is due for a big season. Miller recorded 22 tackles and 1.5 sacks his freshman year and followed that up with a huge boost in production as a sophomore.

He came up with 38 stops and 5.5 sacks with 11.5 tackles for loss. Miller takes the charge here and should see his numbers increase into double-digits.

The speed Miller brings off the edge is only amplified by a just as athletic Shaka Toney. Both bring the pain once they get to the quarterback with blinding speed. Toney recorded 3.5 sacks in his redshirt freshman season, giving Penn State multiple smaller speedsters on the edge. Miller has the prototype physique at 6-foot-5, 255 pounds while Toney plays like a linebacker at 6-foot-3 and 225 pounds.

Torrence Brown, Daniel Joseph Yetur Gross-Matos round out the speedy group. After suffering a season-ending injury against Georgia State, Brown missed the final 10 games of the year. However, he has solid production returning with 52 career tackles and 12.5 tackles for loss. If he can recover, that’ll add more rotational players to the lineup.

Matos pile up 17 tackles as a true freshman and showed real promise as an athletic pass rusher. Joseph didn’t get the same in-game reps like Matos did, but he made the most of his snaps. He recorded 11 tackles and three sacks waxing offensive lines with his jetliner speed. His similar body type and blistering speed makes him a breakout candidate for the next few years.

Edge Setters

Obviously Penn State football’s D-Line speed is paramount as noted by the first group. Still, it carries a few prototypical defense ends as well. Shane Simmons and Ryan Buchholz headline this list. They flat out bully offensive lineman. Simmons has the strength and size to move offensive lineman.

Simmons is actually similar in size to a lot of the team’s defensive ends, but he pushes blockers around with elite strength. He recorded 15 tackles and 4.5 tackles for loss in his freshman year. When he came out of high school as a four-star recruit, he was just 221 pounds. He sat out the 2016 season as a redshirt, putting on almost 30 pounds to beef up his 6-foot-3 frame.

Before the start of the season, I wrote that once he gets his lanky reach on an offensive lineman, it’s over. His range makes him a perfect edge setter because he can move offensive tackles around – that makes him a problem in the run game.

Buchholz is built to stop the run but in a different way. It’s all about the size and strength here. His 6-foot-6, 273-pound body is a rock on the line. He can’t be moved and that’s what makes a nuisance to pickup in run blocking.

In two years he’s put up 33 tackles, six tackles for loss and four sacks. With two years of eligibility left and paired up with another youngster this part of the line can only get better.

Defensive Tackles

The one spot that might falter the Penn State football defensive line early on this year it’s the interior. Lost in the shuffle of seven returning defensive ends is just two returners in the middle. Curtis Cothran and Parker Cothren graduated leaving Penn State thin at defensive tackle.

Still, they have two proven guys back in juniors Kevin Givens and Robert Windsor. Both play with a similar 1-2 style to Simmons and Buchholz. One plays with speed and the other attacks with prototypical size.

Givens is the sawed-off inside tackle at 6-1, 281-pounds. He can get to the quarterback in a hurry, flashing tons of speed for an interior defensive lineman. In two years he’s built up some nice numbers, recording 50 tackles and 8.5 sacks.

Windsor is the productive, run-stuffing big boy inside. At 6-foot-4, 295 pounds, he adds the size to a lightning-quick defense, piling up 42 tackles, four tackles for loss and three sacks. With almost 100 combined tackles between both players in two years, offenses should be running for their lives.

https://victorybellrings.com/2018/05/25/penn-state-football-line-returns/
DE has the potential to be great but Windsor & Givens are not enough at DT. I'm hoping that Jordan is healthy enough to make an impact. Shelton is the other choice. Otherwise we have to rely on redshirt freshmen Hansard or Bolds.

DE has the potential to be great but Windsor & Givens are not enough at DT. I'm hoping that Jordan is healthy enough to make an impact. Shelton is the other choice. Otherwise we have to rely on redshirt freshmen Hansard or Bolds.

No 2 DT's are enough for a 5 or 6 DT rotation, which is what CJF likes to use. That's why CJF has recruited 8 DT's in the last 3 classes that will be hand for Fall camp to compete to get in the rotation (along with Givens and Windsor).

Jordan
Shelton
Hansard
Bolds
Barber
Mustipher
Culpepper
Hawkins

Although the reports have been that Jordan and Shelton have progressed well during their time at PSU, it would be naive to believe those 2 will not have to withstand significant competition to be the prime backups. CJF is committed to playing the best players to try and win, and there will be plenty of competition for snaps at DT this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA

If you want to be glass half full, we are in much, much, better shape on the d-line than we were entering the 2016 season.

Entering 2016 we had only on d-tackle with any real significant experience in Parker Cothren. We were otherwise counting on a converted DE, a redshirt freshman, and a brand new JUCO to fill our rotation.

Totally different situation this year when we already have 2 established players as the starters and a much deeper talent pool to find the backups.

Reactions: 81b&w
The writer is a bit off on the new adjusted weights on some of our DL. Buchholtz 255, Windsor 281, Givens 275. I imagine the staff wanted them at these new weights.

No 2 DT's are enough for a 5 or 6 DT rotation, which is what CJF likes to use. That's why CJF has recruited 8 DT's in the last 3 classes that will be hand for Fall camp to compete to get in the rotation.

Jordan
Shelton
Hansard
Bolds
Barber
Mustipher
Culpepper
Hawkins

Although the reports have been that Jordan and Shelton have progressed well during their time at PSU, it would be naive to believe those 2 will not have to withstand significant competition to be the prime backups. CJF is committed to playing the best players to try and win, and there will be plenty of competition for snaps at DT this season.

i think Culpepper has DE capability on the short side like Bucholtz. We do need the SDE to be in that size/strength range.

No 2 DT's are enough for a 5 or 6 DT rotation, which is what CJF likes to use. That's why CJF has recruited 8 DT's in the last 3 classes that will be hand for Fall camp to compete to get in the rotation.

Jordan
Shelton
Hansard
Bolds
Barber
Mustipher
Culpepper
Hawkins

who in the group would you put as the immovable force in the middle ala DaQuan Jones type DT player.

If you want to be glass half full, we are in much, much, better shape on the d-line than we were entering the 2016 season.

Entering 2016 we had only on d-tackle with any real significant experience in Parker Cothren. We were otherwise counting on a converted DE, a redshirt freshman, and a brand new JUCO to fill our rotation.

Totally different situation this year when we already have 2 established players as the starters and a much deeper talent pool to find the backups.
DT looked great entering last year. DT was 4 deep with Cothran, Cothren, Chavis, & Givens and DE had Brown returning. Unfortunately Brown got hurt early and Buchholz wad hurt for key games.

This year we should be loaded at DE and we have 2 experienced DTs. We need 1 or 2 more to step up, especially with MLB uncertain.

It would not surprise me to see Bucholz moved to D Line. We are awfully young, as Joe would say. Behind Kevin and Robert, it's all sophs and frosh. Talent is there, but again as Joe would say "youth is a disease...". There will be some struggle that we will need to find a way to overcome.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
DT looked great entering last year. DT was 4 deep with Cothran, Cothren, Chavis, & Givens and DE had Brown returning. Unfortunately Brown got hurt early and Buchholz wad hurt for key games.

This year we should be loaded at DE and we have 2 experienced DTs. We need 1 or 2 more to step up, especially with MLB uncertain.
I think it’s ok to have unproven depth at DT as long as it is offset with a bunch of studs at DE, or vice versa. Collectively, I think we’ll be fine on the D line.

I think it’s ok to have unproven depth at DT as long as it is offset with a bunch of studs at DE, or vice versa. Collectively, I think we’ll be fine on the D line.
Yes...and no. I remember that 2003 D line, and it had LOADS of talent but was very young, not unlike this years' D line. They struggled before finding their way the next season.

Barber looked better than I expected in the spring game. Hansard and Shelton also showed some promise. Jordan appeared to be coming along last season until the kneecap problem.
DT and ILB are the uncertainties on the defense this season.

Yes...and no. I remember that 2003 D line, and it had LOADS of talent but was very young, not unlike this years' D line. They struggled before finding their way the next season.
I’m not saying both DT and DT are young and inexperienced, I’m saying we have depth, skill, and experience at DE, which will offset the inexperience at DT.

Barber looked better than I expected in the spring game. Hansard and Shelton also showed some promise. Jordan appeared to be coming along last season until the kneecap problem.
DT and ILB are the uncertainties on the defense this season.
Barber definitely stood out in the B/W game. I believe he wore #90 and I didn't have a program. Didn't realize until I got home that that was Barber. He looked huge.

It would be easier if we had experience at MLB. We have a lot of young talent so hopefully they'll do well as RS freshmen.

i think Culpepper has DE capability on the short side like Bucholtz. We do need the SDE to be in that size/strength range.

I agree that Culpepper sounds like a nice big DE. But it seems that he was recruited to play DT and is already in the 270's with the staff's plan being to get him bigger and play him at DT. I also have long believed that our DE's have been too light, with our DE's being a large part of the reason we have been run against successfully by the better teams over the last few years. Now that CJF is getting many of his first choice recruits I expected him to get bigger DE's and put a little more stout DL on the field. Especially with the move to play 5 DB packages a larger portion of games, our front needs to play better against the running games of the teams with better OL's, like oh-high-ya, Wisky, ....

But directly to your point, we need DE's in the mold of Nassib,6'6", 270+, or larger, to take the run defense to the next level.

Last edited:
Reactions: ralphster
who in the group would you put as the immovable force in the middle ala DaQuan Jones type DT player.

Since we have seen very little of Jordan and Shelton, and have not seen anything of the other 6 new DT's other than what the 3 redshirt freshmen did in the B/W game, I don't believe anyone here can really answer that question. But Hansard and Mustipher seem to have the build to be the big, immovable DT's that may require double teams and free up other players to make plays....

I love what Givens brings to the defense, and Windsor seems like a very good player, but I just don't see Windsor as a dominant "big" DT. Hope I'm wrong on that. But many expect Mustipher to play this year as a true freshman, and if one of the 6 (or of Shelton and Jordan) look like a dominant force in the making we'll see him/them on the field early and often.....

I think Shaka Toney is going to have a huge year rushing the passer. RS Frosh last year and in the first 3rd and long situation for the Michigan offense, Spence/Franklin had him out there at DE. That shows what they think of him.

The writer's pretty breathless. He seems like a fanboy, not an analyst.
My thoughts exactly, not sure the DT won't be a problem? The freshman will have to play, but will they be effective enough by the time OSU comes rolling in?

Barber definitely stood out in the B/W game. I believe he wore #90 and I didn't have a program. Didn't realize until I got home that that was Barber. He looked huge.

On the first play of the spring game, Barber Bull Rushed Menet pushing him back into the QB. Later on he stood Menet up with a great stop near the goal line. He was impressive.

On the first play of the spring game, Barber Bull Rushed Menet pushing him back into the QB. Later on he stood Menet up with a great stop near the goal line. He was impressive.
Was Barber imprressive? Or Menet not so much?

This is where we need to slow down to go fast! We always jump into the hype right before the season or after the first 3 games. Experience and time will help get us going in the right direction this year. We have osu in late sept so with their new q.b and our new dline and lbs it will
Be a toss up of who learns faster. We do have sweet potetntial though.

I see it as a good problem that we are worried about who the backups will be. Remember just a few years ago, we were worried about who the starters would be

It would not surprise me to see Bucholz moved to D Line. We are awfully young, as Joe would say. Behind Kevin and Robert, it's all sophs and frosh. Talent is there, but again as Joe would say "youth is a disease...". There will be some struggle that we will need to find a way to overcome.

I have said this before, that Bucholz losing weight to seemingly play DE exclusively. Why would the staff let him lose weight if they are not confident that he won't be needed inside at DT like he was used in the past? This is why I think the DT position is looking good to the staff in practice.

Hansard and Mustipher both have the frame and ability to be very high level run-stuffing DTs. Hansard is already over 300 pounds, and Mustipher arrived on campus close to it.

I’d expect Hansard to be Windsor’s primary backup at the one tech this season. He’s a big boy.

Hansard and Mustipher both have the frame and ability to be very high level run-stuffing DTs. Hansard is already over 300 pounds, and Mustipher arrived on campus close to it.

I’d expect Hansard to be Windsor’s primary backup at the one tech this season. He’s a big boy.

True, but they are playing with the 2's. We go 281 and 275 with the 1's. Not criticizing, again, but a bit worried. Just a bit.

Was Barber imprressive? Or Menet not so much?

Hard to tell in the spring game. Menet, from what I observed, appeared to play pretty well the rest of the game. However, those two plays when he got stood up were very obvious, and impressive on Barber's part.

I have said this before, that Bucholz losing weight to seemingly play DE exclusively. Why would the staff let him lose weight if they are not confident that he won't be needed inside at DT like he was used in the past? This is why I think the DT position is looking good to the staff in practice.
I think that if you recruit properly then you steer guys to positions and roles that maximize their ability. If Buchholz is trimming down so he can be a full time DE, then tat is where Franklin and Spenser must think that his strength. Either that, or he can still play three technique at the reduced weight.

Reactions: Gitzit
I think that if you recruit properly then you steer guys to positions and roles that maximize their ability. If Buchholz is trimming down so he can be a full time DE, then tat is where Franklin and Spenser must think that his strength. Either that, or he can still play three technique at the reduced weight.

The latest roster posted has Buchholz at 264, up from 255 a few months ago. He looked a bit too lean at 255, but the coaches are getting him to that playing weight. 264 sounds good since he is a big boy.

Reactions: Gitzit
It's all good at this point. Great if Barber is ready to contribute. There's no question of Menet's athletic ability, but he needs reps and needs to get beat so he can improve.
Hard to tell in the spring game. Menet, from what I observed, appear

ed to play pretty well the rest of the game. However, those two plays when he got stood up were very obvious, and impressive on Barber's part.

No thanks, I saw enough of David Fleischeour back in the day against Michigan. Let's keep him at DE.

One thing looks likely at this point, we shouldn’t have a lot of tired players along the DL at the end of games.

One thing looks likely at this point, we shouldn’t have a lot of tired players along the DL at the end of games.

Certainly not at DE. Brown, Buchholz, Miller, Toney, Simmons, and Gross-Matos all have experience and have shown promise. That's 3 deep, all with experience. I'm not sure where that leaves former 4* Joseph. I assume Oweh and Tarburton will redshirt. I'm not sure we've ever had that much experienced depth at one position.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT