ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else worried about the O-line vs Maryland (and down the road)?

djm_psu_alum

Nov 30, 2016
I keep reading about the 3 (possibly 4) o-linemen who are likely out for this week vs Maryland but yet folks picking PSU by anywhere between 7 to 20 pts (most in the 10-14 range). I assume this is because they are assuming they will have similar success with the patchwork o-line as they did vs Indiana. I really question that thinking because I think Maryland is far more talented on the defensive side than Indiana. My primary concern is not necessarily a decline in the run game (though that is a worry)--my really worry is that an inexperienced or overwhelmed line in pass defense could result in Clifford turnovers either as rushed passes for INTs or sack-fumbles.

Moving forward, hopefully, they get through Maryland. I'm less concerned about the o-line issues vs Rutgers but they do concern me vs Michigan State as their talent level will be even higher than Maryland. Yes, it will be a senior day game but it will be over thanksgiving break so the student crowd will be somewhat reduced and it's not like Michigan State will be out of bowl contention at that stage (presumably they'll be 6-5).

I keep reading about the 3 (possibly 4) o-linemen who are likely out for this week vs Maryland but yet folks picking PSU by anywhere between 7 to 20 pts (most in the 10-14 range). I assume this is because they are assuming they will have similar success with the patchwork o-line as they did vs Indiana. I really question that thinking because I think Maryland is far more talented on the defensive side than Indiana. My primary concern is not necessarily a decline in the run game (though that is a worry)--my really worry is that an inexperienced or overwhelmed line in pass defense could result in Clifford turnovers either as rushed passes for INTs or sack-fumbles.

Moving forward, hopefully, they get through Maryland. I'm less concerned about the o-line issues vs Rutgers but they do concern me vs Michigan State as their talent level will be even higher than Maryland. Yes, it will be a senior day game but it will be over thanksgiving break so the student crowd will be somewhat reduced and it's not like Michigan State will be out of bowl contention at that stage (presumably they'll be 6-5).
I tossed and turned all night just thinking about it...:cool:

Reactions: b&w1987 and brupsu

We are doomed.

No!

Scruggs is playing, correct?

If Fashanu is out, we have to assume Shelton is his replacement. Shelton played very well last week, and coming back after his first extended playing time, it is reasonable to expect him to make a step forward in his performance this week.

Nourzad is likely playing this week as well. And he has played well.

At RT, Franklin seemed optimistic that Wallace will be back at Right OT. Wallace in no all star, and I was hoping someone would pass him up at right OT, but he has reportedly played a little better the last few games he played. Oh, and Wallace played right OT last season when PSU beat MD.

If Wallace plays that will let Effner play right Guard if Wormley is still out. Effner has played reasonably well when he has filled in at Guard. Trautwein could also elect to play Effner at Left OT, but with Shelton having played well and Franklin stating that redshirting him is secondary to being 1-0 this week I look for Shelton to play this week, which would be his 4th game played this season.

If the above plays out, that still leaves Loane and JB Nelson inside and Christ at OT as reserves. But more likely if there is an injury or Wallace can't play, Effner would move to OT and JB Nelson or Loane would start at Guard. Then there still would be Christ to back up OT and either JB Nelson or Loane (whoever does not start) to back up Guard. Sounds like Dawkins is out for the season. Nourzad could move to Center with Loane/Nelson coming in at Right Guard. Wonder who the 3rd string Center is with Dawkins unavailable....

There are still a good many talented olinemen to put a decent oline on the field this coming week. All of the olinemen mentioned above, except Christ, have proven themselfs capable so far this season.

Sure Maryland has some talent on defense. But I'm probably more worriend about Clifford making poor decisions and giving MD a short field than I am the OL falling apart.

Last edited:

If Fashanu is out, we have to assume Shelton is his replacement. Shelton played very well last week, and coming back after his first extended playing time, it is reasonable to expect him to make a step forward in his performance this week.

At RT, Franklin seemed optimistic that Wallace will be back at Right OT. Wallace in no all star, and I was hoping someone would pass him up at right OT, but he has reportedly played a little better the last few games he played. Oh, and Wallace played right OT last season when PSU beat MD.

If Wallace plays that will let Effner play right Guard if Wormley is still out. Effner has played reasonably well when he has filled in at Guard. Trautwein could also elect to play Wallace at Left OT, but with Shelton having played well and Franklin stating that redshirting him is secondary to being 1-0 this week I look for Shelton to play this week, which would be his 4th game played this season.

If the above plays out, that still leaves Loane and JB Nelson inside and Christ at OT as reserves. But more likely if there is an injury or Wallace can't play, Effner would move to OT and JB Nelson or Loane would start at Guard. Then there still would be Christ to back up OT and either JB Nelson or Loane (whoever does not start) to back up Guard. Dawkins could also play some at Center, or Nourzad could move to Center with Loane/Nelson coming in at Right Guard.

There are still a good many talented olinemen to put a decent oline on the field this coming week. All of the olinemen mentioned above, except Christ, have proven themselfs capable so far this season.

Sure Maryland has some talent on defense. But I'm probably more worriend about Clifford making poor decisions and giving MD a short field than I am the OL falling apart.
Pretty good analysis but no way do I see Wallace playing LT. He has enough problems at RT.

Definitely concerned. Maybe we'll adjust and go back to the TE's like we did a few games ago.

Pretty good analysis but no way do I see Wallace playing LT. He has enough problems at RT.
Agree. I meant to refer to Effner, who I believe has played both OT positions during his PSU career but this year has seemingly focused on the right side.

If Wallace plays that will let Effner play right Guard if Wormley is still out. Effner has played reasonably well when he has filled in at Guard. Trautwein could also elect to play Effner at Left OT, but with Shelton having played well and Franklin stating that redshirting him is secondary to being 1-0 this week I look for Shelton to play this week, which would be his 4th game played this season.

If the above plays out, that still leaves Loane and JB Nelson inside and Christ at OT as reserves. But more likely if there is an injury or Wallace can't play, Effner would move to OT and JB Nelson or Loane would start at Guard. Then there still would be Christ to back up OT and either JB Nelson or Loane (whoever does not start) to back up Guard. Sounds like Dawkins is out for the season. Nourzad could move to Center with Loane/Nelson coming in at Right Guard. Wonder who the 3rd string Center is with Dawkins unavailable....

I'm always worried about Clifford's decision making but having an iffy or patched together o-line only increases that concern about him rushing or forcing a throw or not seeing or feeling the rush and a sack/fumble.

I'm always worried about Clifford's decision making but having an iffy or patched together o-line only increases that concern about him rushing or forcing a throw or not seeing or feeling the rush and a sack/fumble.
I agree. But the better QB's in college, and in the NFL, are able to process their WR progressions and decision making while at the same time be aware of the rush and either avoid it and make a play or throw the ball away preferably out of bounds over the head of a PSU receiver so there is no chance of intentional grounding. Young at Bama, Stroud, and in the NFL Josh Allen, ....

But as Franklin believes the endlessly hurt and banged up Clifford is PSU's best QB your point seems very valid. After four years as the Starter PSU can not rely on Clifford's decision making. Sad.

Reactions: djm_psu_alum
I'd like to see them move Wallace inside to RG and leave Effner at OT. He has quicker feet than Wallace and I think will match up better with MD DEs.

Injuries are an unfortunate part of football. Worried? No. What's the worst case scenario? PSU loses a football game. It happens. I'm going to sleep well either way. There is always Rutgers to get healthy against either way.

ADVERTISEMENT