ADVERTISEMENT

Overlooked fact in Minnesota win

Marylovesthelions

Gold Member
Sep 29, 2008
Mt Dora FL
Minnesota's starting offensive line is one of the biggest in the big 10 if not the biggest yet they could not run the ball significantly on Penn State. A rap after the Michigan game was that we're too small but with the addition of Carter starting at middle linebacker our defense played very well I against very good offensive line and tailback.
I say we are a match-up problem with our excellent defensive backfield and quick front 7.

Michigan out schemed us with blocking and had the advantage at RB vs LBs. You can't line up wrong 75% of the snaps in a pass defense alignment and expect to beat good teams with similar athletes.

The Big Base (Jacobs at Sam, Carter at Will, and Elsdon at Mike) that we used vs Minnesota would have worked better vs Michigan, but doesn't equate to a win by itself. We should have forced JJ to beat us with the pass or scrambling with his legs. You have to adjust to the run. If they throw for 400+, it's remembered as just another Saturday.

I'm more concerned with their passing game. If we don't get pressure vs Stroud we are going to get torched. And we could only get pressure vs Auburn. Not good.If OSU can easily run on us as well, its gonna get ugly.

Minnesota's starting offensive line is one of the biggest in the big 10 if not the biggest yet they could not run the ball significantly on Penn State. A rap after the Michigan game was that we're too small but with the addition of Carter starting at middle linebacker our defense played very well I against very good offensive line and tailback.
I say we are a match-up problem with our excellent defensive backfield and quick front 7.
PSU could attack the LOS vs Minny because they didn't fear their passing attack. Stroud >>>>> Minny's backup QB.

PSU could attack the LOS vs Minny because they didn't fear their passing attack. Stroud >>>>> Minny's backup QB.
Minnesota also runs a zone blocking scheme. What worked for Michigan and their man scheme by design wouldn't work for Minnesota. If Morgan had played, Minnesota wouldn't have been scared to pass and it would have been a very different game.

Reactions: bdgan
O$U can easily burn us through the air. Even as good as our secondary is you can count on them hitting a few big pass plays. Stroud will have at a minimum 2 TD passes but probably 3-4.

Minnesota also runs a zone blocking scheme. What worked for Michigan and their man scheme by design wouldn't work for Minnesota. If Morgan had played, Minnesota wouldn't have been scared to pass and it would have been a very different game.
We still would have won but, yes, it may have been competitive or somewhat competitive.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT