ADVERTISEMENT

PSU clothing to non-PSU game

I occasionally wear PSU clothing around town or when I travel, but personally wouldn’t even think about wearing it if I was going over to Northwestern (or any other school) for a non-PSU athletic event.

That’s just me, though. Not sure if there is a “right” or “wrong” answer.....

Alright, not to hijack, but...

It was the 1981 season and someone (can't remember) had a cousin at South Carolina. She, the cousin, and two friends came to State College for a long weekend. I'll cut to the chase...hot girls from South Carolina; cheered Go Cocks often, especially when the announcer at the game gave scores; continued to party with us after the game and after a long night made me breakfast in the morning! :) So now whenever I here the phrase Go Cocks I look around for a hot blonde that needs a place to stay. :cool::D

Alright, not to hijack, but...

It was the 1981 season and someone (can't remember) had a cousin at South Carolina. She, the cousin, and two friends came to State College for a long weekend. I'll cut to the chase...hot girls from South Carolina; cheered Go Cocks often, especially when the announcer at the game gave scores; continued to party with us after the game and after a long night made me breakfast in the morning! :) So now whenever I here the phrase Go Cocks I look around for a hot blonde that needs a place to stay. :cool::D

I suspect her "long night" was simply experiencing your board handle. And only your board handle!

I live in GA and go to the "World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party" every year - dressed in PSU clothes. I may get a few funny looks/comments - but as we don't normally play those teams I've never had trouble. Plus, it makes it easier to convince a bartender to put on PSU game to watch. :)

So i’m taking the family and heading down to Columbia, SC next weekend to visit my mom. My mom has always lived in SEC country (Flordida, Georgia, Tennessee,,and now Sout Carolina) so I always have a rooting interest for whatever team is in the area she is living in. When I am down there next weekend, my step-father has secured some South Carolina/Florida tickets and tailgating passes to a well-to-do booster’s area for us. My question is, what is the boards thoughts on wearing non participating team gear to another teams game? Can I mix and match (ie: PSU sweatshirt with SC hat) or do I just go full PSU?

Disagree with other posters. Wear your PSU gear if you want to. But it’s sometimes fun just to be part of something different.

So i’m taking the family and heading down to Columbia, SC next weekend to visit my mom. My mom has always lived in SEC country (Flordida, Georgia, Tennessee,,and now Sout Carolina) so I always have a rooting interest for whatever team is in the area she is living in. When I am down there next weekend, my step-father has secured some South Carolina/Florida tickets and tailgating passes to a well-to-do booster’s area for us. My question is, what is the boards thoughts on wearing non participating team gear to another teams game? Can I mix and match (ie: PSU sweatshirt with SC hat) or do I just go full PSU?

If you have to ask, then you probably shouldn't...though don't see an issue with a hat.
If it were me, I'd wear something non-football (and not royal blue/orange) and a PSU hat

I live in GA and go to the "World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party" every year - dressed in PSU clothes. I may get a few funny looks/comments - but as we don't normally play those teams I've never had trouble. Plus, it makes it easier to convince a bartender to put on PSU game to watch. :)

I've found giving them a $10 influences their channel selection.

If you want to have some fun, go decked out in Ohio State gear, get drunk and act like a total asshole.

Reactions: uscgPSU
If you want to have some fun, go decked out in Ohio State gear, get drunk and act like a total asshole.
Let's be real--some of our fans do that too. A good friend of mine had trouble with some PSU fans at the tOSU game--one almost threw up on his wife. And they are very quiet people (heck, his wife and daughter are librarians).

Let's be real--some of our fans do that too. A good friend of mine had trouble with some PSU fans at the tOSU game--one almost threw up on his wife. And they are very quiet people (heck, his wife and daughter are librarians).

No doubt, there are drunk fans in every fan base. I was just presenting an opportunity for the guy to disregard any sense of decorum, remove all his inhibitions and reinforce the OSU ahole fan stereotype. Looked like a win/win from my vantage point.

I'm a little perplexed by "having a rooting interested for whatever team is in the area she is living in", but to each his/her own. I also wouldn't attend another game that is occurring PSU is playing, but that is just me.

If you were attending a home game of a team that was a rival of PSU, I agree that flaunting PSU gear would be a bad move. However, given that they are not rivals, and given that PSU plays at the same time, I would 100% wear something that says PSU (hat or shirt, but probably not both).

I visit a lot of other teams...I usually will wear a shirt of the local team with PSU hat. For example, I went to Alabama game a few weeks ago...I purchased an Alabama t-shirt and wore it with PSu hat. It usually sparks up good conversation. I went to national title game last year and wore PSU hat. People always speak highly of Penn State...that is my experience.

I do exactly the same thing. If I am a guest of someone I wear a shirt supporting their team and a PSU hat.

I attended the first two Big 10 conference championship games and I wore all Penn State attire and noticed a few others there dressed similarly.

I visit a lot of other teams...I usually will wear a shirt of the local team with PSU hat. For example, I went to Alabama game a few weeks ago...I purchased an Alabama t-shirt and wore it with PSu hat. It usually sparks up good conversation. I went to national title game last year and wore PSU hat. People always speak highly of Penn State...that is my experience.
Similar. I’ll wear something local to the home team (like a fun local bar shirt or something with my host’s team colors), but not actually another team’s/school’s gear unless the two teams are irrelevant to each other (i.e., I’ve worn a colorado state hat). And I’ll rarely wear any PSU gear to another’s game. Tends to operate either as a “look at me” or “I’m not one of you” which socially is rarely worth it, even if rarely outright negative.

Rathskeller t-shirts are popular with my non-PSU guests in the Beav.

I’m also not a jersey wearer and I’d probably only draw the line if a Guest wanted to wear an opposing team’s jersey. That would def be in poor taste.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a little perplexed by "having a rooting interested for whatever team is in the area she is living in", but to each his/her own. I also wouldn't attend another game that is occurring PSU is playing, but that is just me.

If you were attending a home game of a team that was a rival of PSU, I agree that flaunting PSU gear would be a bad move. However, given that they are not rivals, and given that PSU plays at the same time, I would 100% wear something that says PSU (hat or shirt, but probably not both).

So I should cancel my trip to visit my family because PSU is playing Rutgers? Got it.....

And what is perplexing about rooting for a team in the area where my family lives? I love college football and last I saw PSU plays only one game a weekend so it allows me to watch another team and have a rooting interest. Instead of blowing off my family for one game I can blow them off for two games! ;)

So I should cancel my trip to visit my family because PSU is playing Rutgers? Got it.....

And what is perplexing about rooting for a team in the area where my family lives? I love college football and last I saw PSU plays only one game a weekend so it allows me to watch another team and have a rooting interest. Instead of blowing off my family for one game I can blow them off for two games! ;)
You don't have to blow off your family, just blow off the game. I normally wouldn't attend a game that was happening at the same time as PSU either, but it is Rutgers so in that case I probably would.

I probably wouldn't schedule a trip to visit my family during football season, if said visit involved missing the PSU game but that's just me.

I love college football too, but I only care about my two alma maters. In most other games, my cheering interest is more often cheering against a team (most commonly ND, Pitt, any team whose loss would benefit PSU).

I don't have any casual interest in any other teams doing well. If PSU had a bye week (or played at a different time of day), I'd be all in for seeing another stadium, but I would give zero shits about the outcome of the game and would not wear local fan gear.

But enjoy your trip. I would be interested to hear about tailgating and your game experience at the "lesser Carolina." ;-)

Reactions: uscgPSU
I wore my Orange and Maroon PSU shirt to a VT game once and got a lot of comments about what the shirt was about and when I explained it there was a lot of gratitude.

Went to the VT (daughter's school) vs. Duke game last Saturday night (stayed dry in the downpour) and always wear VT gear to those games. Sunday I was in a Penn State polo shirt for breakfast, when a woman in a Roanoke College sweatshirt walked up to me as she was leaving, and with an incredibly sympathetic look on her face told me how upset she was when we lost our game... Gotta love the camaraderie.

Dude, there's a VT store in blacksburg that actually sells a lot of PSU stuff..there's a back story to it but I don't remember exactly. On a side note, I do like the VT campus...always reminds me of PSU

Reactions: YeOldeCup
I've always worn a PSU hat to the non-PSU game. Then worn a shirt for the team of whomever I was going to the game with.

Though I went to the Nebraska/Rutgers game 2 years ago with full intention of wearing a Nebraska shirt, but it got too cold, so I got a lot of dirty looks wearing a PSU hat and jacket.

Reactions: psu00
I've always worn a PSU hat to the non-PSU game. Then worn a shirt for the team of whomever I was going to the game with.

Though I went to the Nebraska/Rutgers game 2 years ago with full intention of wearing a Nebraska shirt, but it got too cold, so I got a lot of dirty looks wearing a PSU hat and jacket.

I really don't get this whole thread. Why would you wear PSU gear to a Nebraska game?
Why can't you attend a football game wearing clothes that don't advertise a team? I have gone
to so many college, pro and high school games that I can't even begin to count. And my dress
is always what is appropriate for the weather. What is wrong with just enjoying the game instead
of making a fashion statement?

I really don't get this whole thread. Why would you wear PSU gear to a Nebraska game?
Why can't you attend a football game wearing clothes that don't advertise a team? I have gone
to so many college, pro and high school games that I can't even begin to count. And my dress
is always what is appropriate for the weather. What is wrong with just enjoying the game instead
of making a fashion statement?

You can wear whatever you want.

I would wear PSU gear to a Nebraska game because I wear PSU gear on Saturdays when PSU plays (and lots of other days too, but ALWAYS on football game days).

So if PSU had a bye, I might not wear PSU gear, but if PSU was playing that day there is a 100% chance I'm wearing PSU gear.

What does the weather have to do with it? You only have PSU speedos?

I was in Jacksonville for bowl game few years back vs Georgia, their fans were disgusting about PSU fans being yankees, pedophiles, and chanting sick stuff about paterno in the concourse constantly.

I always say other teams are cool with your school until you are playing them.

I could not wait to take my jersey off that day. That was the most vile stuff I ever heard in person. Right in my face. From men and women. In front of my mother. No more bowls for me ever again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT