ADVERTISEMENT

Pretty interesting comments from former Duke TE on the MD situation

tboyer

Sep 25, 2002
He said Duke’s culture was one of togetherness so that what occurred at Maryland wouldn’t happen in Durham. If a teammate fell out in a conditioning drill, like McNair did at Maryland, Deaver said every player would run to his aid. That stemmed from Duke coach David Cutcliffe, who Deaver said he sees as “a second father” because he pushed him hard but did so with care in mind.

Here’s what Deaver tweeted about McNair and his thoughts about football.

Braxton Deaver

✔@TheDeavo89

Just my input on the Maryland situation... it’s incredibly sad. It’s hard to describe the gray area of football conditioning. AT NO POINT, should a player not receive immediate medical attention.. that is absurd and direct responsibility of the staff. At all times.

-----------

But, I don’t know how many times I have pushed myself beyond a limit, beyond my own breaking point. Slumped in agony after working till I couldn’t or pushed myself any further. BUT I was the one that pushed myself. I had a staff that supported and grew that determination.

-----------------------

Not a coach screaming degrogatory, demeaning, worthless nonsense. But where is the line? Everyone in division 1 football is going to push themselves to points of breaking. For your teammates, coaches, family? But where does that “pushing” cross the boundary? Well we found out.

.https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/article216734285.html

Thanks for posting this.

My son was big and out of shape when he went out for the high school football team.

I went to a practice and saw he was fifty yards behind the other kids doing sprints at the end of the day. He was trying, but he just could not keep up.

The other boys finished and turned around to see my son half staggering and half chugging along. They were all tired, it was the end of the day, but one by one about thirty of the boys ran out to finish the drill with him.

I still get emotional thinking about that day. I was proud of my son for giving his all and proud of the other boys for recognizing that and helping him all they could. I have to admit that when I read about the death of the young man at Maryland my mind returned to that hot August day and my son and his team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT