ADVERTISEMENT

Post a strange stat that you did a double take on

mrtailgate

Feb 2, 2005
Here is mine. Us old farts believe we saw the best of everything. Sometimes maybe we were mistaken.

Hall of Fame and All Time QB Great was a 50.1% completion passer. Who was it? See below.

Answer - Joe Namath

Next time you want somebody to “see below”, try making the answer more than 4 lines lower.

It is funny. Joe Willie does have legend status. He was the first QB to throw for 4,000 yards and made good on his guarantee in Super Bowl III. For that alone he's a legend, Throw in C.C. & Company with Ann Margaret and it's etched in stone. Google Joe Namath overrated though. He is at or near the top of one overrated list after another.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I realize you are talking about sports, but I will turn to World War II. 80% of the German Army transport in WW2 was horse drawn. Despite all the propaganda about Blitzkreig, formidable German R&D, industrial design and production, the day to day mechanics of their fighting force involved an average of 1.1 million horses throughout the war. Of the 322 German divisions in the middle of the war - 1943 - only 52 were armored or motorized. Strange but true.

I realize you are talking about sports, but I will turn to World War II. 80% of the German Army transport in WW2 was horse drawn. Despite all the propaganda about Blitzkreig, formidable German R&D, industrial design and production, the day to day mechanics of theirvfighting force involved an average of 1.1 million horses throughout the war. Of the 322 German divisions in the middle of the war - 1943 - only 52 were armored or motorized. Strange but true.

And I thought it was Pitt and its' 9 National Championships!!

I realize you are talking about sports, but I will turn to World War II. 80% of the German Army transport in WW2 was horse drawn. Despite all the propaganda about Blitzkreig, formidable German R&D, industrial design and production, the day to day mechanics of their fighting force involved an average of 1.1 million horses throughout the war. Of the 322 German divisions in the middle of the war - 1943 - only 52 were armored or motorized. Strange but true.

Very interesting, I certainly did not know that.

Reactions: fairgambit
I was watching a little of Pitt UNC game and they had a trivia question about there being only 5 Pitt players to have rushed for 1000 yards. I’m not a Pitt fan, but I instantly thought of Dorset, Curtis Martin, McCoy, and Conner. Couldn’t think of the fifth. Then, they gave the names and Curtis Martin wasn’t among them. I was quite surprised.

Very interesting, I certainly did not know that.
You are not alone. I only realized it recently and I've read a lot of WW2 books. I knew they used horses, but I never knew how extensive it was.

"Horse-drawn transportation was most important for Germany, as it was relatively lacking in natural oil resources. Infantry and horse-drawn artillery formed the bulk of the German Army throughout the war; only one-fifth of the Army belonged to mobile panzer and mechanized divisions. Each German infantry division employed thousands of horses and thousands of men taking care of them." (Wikipedia)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ranger Dan
I was watching a little of Pitt UNC game and they had a trivia question about there being only 5 Pitt players to have rushed for 1000 yards. I’m not a Pitt fan, but I instantly thought of Dorset, Curtis Martin, McCoy, and Conner. Couldn’t think of the fifth. Then, they gave the names and Curtis Martin wasn’t among them. I was quite surprised.
You must have misunderstood, because that's definitely not accurate.

It is funny. Joe Willie does have legend status. He was the first QB to throw for 4,000 yards and made good on his guarantee in Super Bowl III. For that alone he's a legend, Throw in C.C. & Company with Ann Margaret and it's etched in stone. Google Joe Namath overrated though. He is at or near the top of one overrated list after another.

I always liked Joe, and gave him a pass on being overrated stats-wise because he was known to be a great teammate and a gamer. Played hurt more often than not.
One my fave lines of his was in response to being asked about the crazy winds at Shea Stadium: 'The winds there were responsible for a lot of my interceptions.... and some of my touchdowns!'

The lower completion percentages were a norm until the 70s, when Tarkenton and others started throwing more underneath routes and flairs to RBs. Then the completion %s rose steadily, and now we look at about 65% as being expected in the NFL, fair or not. When Tarkenton was nearing 40 passes per game in the 70s, it was a surprise to the football world, and thought to be a losing formula. It was a still a predominantly running game league until sometime in the 80s when rules changed to help pass blocking and to enhance the offense. Now, RBs are almost an after thought and the offensive game planning is focused on WRs and TEs.

Reactions: mn78psu83
Here’s Pitt’s top ten with seven different players.
1Tony Dorsett 2,150 1976
2Dion Lewis 1,799 2009
3Craig Heyward 1,791 1987
4James Conner 1,765 2014
5Tony Dorsett 1,686 1973
5Tony Dorsett 1,686 1975
7LeSean McCoy 1,488 2008
8Billy West 1,358 1994
9LeSean McCoy 1,328 2007
10Curvin Richards 1,282 1989

Big 10(14) officials have ALWAYS been graded out at over 50% by the league office!

Now who would have ever thought they had that perfect a record.....ALWAYS better than 50%!

Stunningly amazing!

Reactions: bison13

2018 Rushing TDs - 20 ytd

Dn0nqinXkAElvLk

Last edited:
Golf fact, trivia, I just learned on my recent trip to the World Golf HOF.
What Golfer has made a hole in one with every club in his bag but his putter ?
According to the rules of golf, you can carry 13 clubs plus for putter. That is insane.

(daens ymmas gnignils- read right to left)

Reactions: KnightWhoSaysNit
How many super bowls for Ben and Bradshaw

Bradshaw played for 14 seasons with Pittsburgh, won four Super Bowl titles in a six-year period (1974, 1975, 1978, and 1979), becoming the first quarterback to win three and four Super Bowls, and led the Steelers to eight AFC Central championships.

Roethlisberger won two Super Bowls

Here is mine. Us old farts believe we saw the best of everything. Sometimes maybe we were mistaken.

Hall of Fame and All Time QB Great was a 50.1% completion passer. Who was it? See below.

Answer - Joe Namath
Quarterbacks didn’t wear dresses back then.

Bradshaw 51%+
Ben 64%
I was curious about their yards per completion average -- my assumption was that Bradshaw's would be higher since he mostly threw downfield. Here's how they stack up:

Yards per attempt:
Bradshaw: 7.2
Ben: 7.9

Yards per completion:
Bradshaw: 13.8
Ben: 12.3

Yards per game:
Bradshaw: 166.6
Ben: 256.7

Golf fact, trivia, I just learned on my recent trip to the World Golf HOF.
What Golfer has made a hole in one with every club in his bag but his putter ?
According to the rules of golf, you can carry 13 clubs plus for putter. That is insane.

(daens ymmas gnignils- read right to left)

I’d have to declare you the winner. That is hard to believe.

Fascinating can you clarify if most of those units were in Russia. I would assume they were.

Shalom

Ironhead, the guy was a beast.

Fascinating can you clarify if most of those units were in Russia. I would assume they were.

Shalom
Read the book Soldat by a German soldier. Interesting read. Goebbels and all wanted to push all the propaganda and mechanization. So almost all the surviving war film is all Panzerkampfwagens.

Quarterbacks didn’t wear dresses back then.

And their receivers were mugged the whole way down the field.

Also, there was a time when a QB was considered to have had a good season if he threw more TD's than INT's.

well, I heard a coach say last week "like everything else about this team, we are unique".

daeb7c724d956013a0b2c411bd610dcf_original.gif

Your post brought to mind a discussion I was having with a few of my Get Off My Lawn pals. The Germans had a rail gun, the Schwerer Gustav, that fired a 31.5 inch shell that weighed 7 tons with a range of 29 miles.The gun was used in the Siege of Sevastopol in 1942. Getting hit with one of those shells could ruin your entire village's day.

Answer - Joe Namath

For this year, Penn State is 100% inside the red zone so far (22/22).

I am doing this from fading memory, so the exact details may be wrong, but in 1994 the talking heads at halftime said something like this:
"Here is how statistics can sometimes be misleading. The time of possession at halftime of the Penn State - Northwestern game shows Northwestern leading with a time of possession of 24 minutes 43 seconds to Penn State's 5 minutes 17 seconds. The score at halftime is 38 -6...(long pause)...Penn State."

Reactions: Bob78
Your post brought to mind a discussion I was having with a few of my Get Off My Lawn pals. The Germans had a rail gun, the Schwerer Gustav, that fired a 31.5 inch shell that weighed 7 tons with a range of 29 miles.The gun was used in the Siege of Sevastopol in 1942. Getting hit with one of those shells could ruin your entire village's day.
Another fun overlooked fact that effed the Germans, Russian railroad tracks were sized differently than the rest of Europe. Screwed up German logistics big time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT