ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Predicting the PSU-Iowa 2019-20 Dual - PART I

What is the outcome of the Jan 31st Dual?

• PSU by 10+ pts

Votes: 21 16.4%
  • PSU by 5-9 pts

Votes: 49 38.3%
  • PSU by 1-4 pts

Votes: 44 34.4%
  • PSU by criteria

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Iowa by criteria

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Iowa by 1-4 pts

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Iowa by 5-9 pts

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Iowa by 10+ pts

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Team pts deducted from Iowa

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • Team pts deducted from PSU

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The season is officially underway. Thought it might be a bl*st to monitor sentiment on the biggest dual of the year . . .

Note the added option of predicting whether team-point deductions factor into the outcome. ;)

This should be a close dual. However, strange things happen in duals. One early upset by either team can often snowball. Also, depends on the lineup. I have seen Iowa fans speculate Teasdale goes at 133 and DeSanto bumps to 141. That might be their best tournament team, but in the dual against us it almost certainly hurts them.

1st one in. I have us winning by 1-4 points.

I noticed wrestlestat has Iowa winning 17-16, but we have several new additions to line-up which gives us quite a bit of upside IMO.

Teske #22, Verk #16, Berge #10, Conel #26 ... of course they could all go the other way, but with our history, my guess is they will move up the rankings during the season.

Iowa, on the other hand, has fewer unknowns. Cass #7 at heavyweight, Kemerer at new weight (#2 seems pretty fair though), the only other would DeSanto's possible move to 141.

Reactions: diggerpup
Teske #22, Verk #16, Berge #10, Conel #26 ... of course they could all go the other way, but with our history, my guess is they will move up the rankings during the season.

Hard to disagree with these. I don't see how Teasdale is not a huge question mark. I wouldn't be shocked to see Penn State win by a lot more than 1-4 points. The team is pretty good at getting up for big things (ask tOSU).

Hard to disagree with these. I don't see how Teasdale is not a huge question mark. I wouldn't be shocked to see Penn State win by a lot more than 1-4 points. The team is pretty good at getting up for big things (ask tOSU).

Yeah, if DeSanto moves up both 141 and 133 become a little more uncertain for the Hawks. DeSanto would likely be an upgrade over Murin, but I don't see Teasdale coming close to AS's #2 ranking at 133.

25 Lee Tech Teske 0-5
33 RBY Dec Teasdale 3-5
41 Lee Dec DeSanto 6-5
49 Lugo Dec Verk 6-8
57 Young Dec Berge 6-11
65 Cenzo Dec Marinelli 9-11
74 Hall Dec Kemerer 12-11
84 Shak Major Wilcke 16-11
97 Conel Dec Warner 19-11
HW Ant Major Cassioppi 23-11
Good guys win going away.
I've got a gut feeling that we may see Beard at 97 by then. Sometimes my gut feelings are just gas though.

25 Lee Pin Teske 0-5
33 RBY Dec Teasdale 3-5
41 Lee Dec DeSanto 6-5
49 Lugo Dec Verk 6-8
57 Young Dec Berge 6-11

Bless your heart for being the first to give predictions.

25 Lee Pin Teske 0-6
33 RBY Dec Teasdale 3-6
41 Lee Dec DeSanto 6-6
49 Lugo Dec Verk 6-9
57 Young Dec Berge 6-12
65 Marinelli Dec Cenzo 6-15
74 Hall Maj Kemerer 10 - 15
84 Shak Dec Wilcke 13-15
97 PSU Dec Warner 16-15
HW Cassar by whatever is needed to win Cassioppi 19-15

I do think it comes down to 97/HWT... CHA will make it a little wonky, but the boys will prevail.

Last edited:

25 Lee Tech Teske 0-6
33 RBY Dec Teasdale 3-6
41 Lee Dec DeSanto 6-6
49 Lugo Dec Verk 6-9
57 Young Dec Berge 6-12
84 Shak Dec Wilcke 13-15
97 PSU Dec Warner 16-15

I do think it comes down to 97/HWT... CHA will make it a little wonky, but the boys will prevail.

Berge over Young would not surprise me at all. I just did not pick it to happen.

25 Lee Tech Teske 0-5
33 RBY Dec Teasdale 3-5
41 Lee Dec DeSanto 6-5
49 Lugo Dec Verk 6-8
57 Young Dec Berge 6-11

As someone who is picking the Hawks to win by 1-2 points, my initial reaction to a prediction of PSU winning by double digits was to chalk it up to homerism.
However, nothing in your predictions seem unrealistic. To me, the only outcomes that would really surprise me are if Spencer or Cassar somehow lose. Lots of toss-ups and evenly matched opponents for this meet. So many possibilities. I can't wait to see this play out(live and in person)!

Something that could be fun(a blast) would be to rank the matchups 1-10, with 1 being most confident in victory, 10 least confident. Here's my totally unbiased opinion:

*assuming Desanto/Murin
1. Spencer
2. Cassar
3. Rasheed
4. N. Lee
5. Hall
6. Desanto
7. Young
8. Warner
9. Bull
10. Verk

*assuming Teasedale/Desanto

1. Spencer
2. Cassar
3. Rasheed
4. Hall
5. Young
6. Warner
7. RBY
8. N. Lee
9. Bull
10. Verk

As someone who is picking the Hawks to win by 1-2 points, my initial reaction to a prediction of PSU winning by double digits was to chalk it up to homerism.
However, nothing in your predictions seem unrealistic. To me, the only outcomes that would really surprise me are if Spencer or Cassar somehow lose. Lots of toss-ups and evenly matched opponents for this meet. So many possibilities. I can't wait to see this play out(live and in person)!

Something that could be fun(a blast) would be to rank the matchups 1-10, with 1 being most confident in victory, 10 least confident. Here's my totally unbiased opinion:

*assuming Desanto/Murin
1. Spencer
2. Cassar
3. Rasheed
4. N. Lee
5. Hall
6. Desanto
7. Young
8. Warner
9. Bull
10. Verk

*assuming Teasedale/Desanto

1. Spencer
2. Cassar
3. Rasheed
4. Hall
5. Young
6. Warner
7. RBY
8. N. Lee
9. Bull
10. Verk

Jrod, I really appreciate how you come over to talk wrestling without a massive holstein chip on your shoulder. Imho, one critique to your listing (and every other Hawk fan), Nick Lee gets very little respect. Did you know that Nick led the team with near fall points by a country mile last season? DeSanto is a great wrestler but Nick will put him on his back.

125- Lee by Fall Love Teske but Spencer is Spencer 0-6
133- RBY dec. GT 3-6
141- Lee dec. AD 6-6
149- Lugo dec. Verk. 6-9
157 Young dec. Berge 6-12
165- Bull dec. Joseph 6-15
174 Hall dec. Kem 9-15
184 Shak MD Wilke 13-15
197 Warner dec. CC 13-18
285 AC md Cass 17-18 Iowa wins.

Carver is a tough place to win if you are not a Hawkeye. Loud crowd, extreme home cooking officiating, Rednecks walking around drunk on Busch Light holding ice cream cones. I would not be surprised to see PSU win this dual, but I would favor Iowa by the thinnest of margins based on what I know. Much can change.
How good is Teasdale? Is Berge going to become the guy I think he can be and compete for titles? Is CC the guy who curb stomped Moore or just a really solid wrestler? Is Kemdog healthy? Is Shak healthy? I think Iowa wins here and PSU wins the little tournament in March by 8-10 points.

Reactions: bdv
125- Lee by Fall Love Teske but Spencer is Spencer 0-6
133- RBY dec. GT 3-6
141- Lee dec. AD 6-6
149- Lugo dec. Verk. 6-9
157 Young dec. Berge 6-12
165- Bull dec. Joseph 6-15
174 Hall dec. Kem 9-15
184 Shak MD Wilke 13-15
197 Warner dec. CC 13-18
285 AC md Cass 17-18 Iowa wins.

Carver is a tough place to win if you are not a Hawkeye. Loud crowd, extreme home cooking officiating, Rednecks walking around drunk on Busch Light holding ice cream cones. I would not be surprised to see PSU win this dual, but I would favor Iowa by the thinnest of margins based on what I know. Much can change.
How good is Teasdale? Is Berge going to become the guy I think he can be and compete for titles? Is CC the guy who curb stomped Moore or just a really solid wrestler? Is Kemdog healthy? Is Shak healthy? I think Iowa wins here and PSU wins the little tournament in March by 8-10 points.

IMHO, the CHA mystique no longer exists, at least not for Penn State. The last 3 times we have wrestled there we won duals by scores of 24-12 and 26-11 and we won the BIG tournament outscoring Iowa by 150.5 to 127. I do agree Iowa has a better chance of winning the dual than winning NCAAs.

I don't see it as a mystique as much as home cooking. The spread in individual matches seems closer to me than it did in those years.

IMHO, the CHA mystique no longer exists, at least not for Penn State. The last 3 times we have wrestled there we won duals by scores of 24-12 and 26-11 and we won the BIG tournament outscoring Iowa by 150.5 to 127. I do agree Iowa has a better chance of winning the dual than winning NCAAs.

I do recall Marky getting knocked off last time we were there. But the mystique was quickly extinguished after Bo planted his opponent in the first and shushed the crowd.

Jrod, I really appreciate how you come over to talk wrestling without a massive holstein chip on your shoulder. Imho, one critique to your listing (and every other Hawk fan), Nick Lee gets very little respect. Did you know that Nick led the team with near fall points by a country mile last season? DeSanto is a great wrestler but Nick will put him on his back.

Honest question as I do not know:

Did he regularly get near fall points against top ten opponents? How about against Murin? If the answer is no, this stat is irrelevant to the possible Desanto match. If yes, its something to consider.

A counter point to this is the difficulty of facing Desanto for the 1st time. His style is difficult to handle, especially if you have not experienced it yet.

25 Lee Tech Teske 0-6
33 RBY Dec Teasdale 3-6
41 Lee Dec DeSanto 6-6
49 Lugo Dec Verk 6-9
57 Young Dec Berge 6-12
84 Shak Dec Wilcke 13-15
97 PSU Dec Warner 16-15

Only a 1 point difference, but a tech is only 5 points for Lee

If this was intended for me, I don't know what KYPSW means.....

"Know Your Penn State Wrestlers" -- an annual contest on predicting outcomes of PSU wrestling matches and individual performances at tournaments.

Reactions: jrod65
Honest question as I do not know:

Did he regularly get near fall points against top ten opponents? How about against Murin? If the answer is no, this stat is irrelevant to the possible Desanto match. If yes, its something to consider.

A counter point to this is the difficulty of facing Desanto for the 1st time. His style is difficult to handle, especially if you have not experienced it yet.

As you know, Murin wrestles very defensively. (Murin is solid. Undersold by a lot of Hawk fans.) DeSanto lets it fly, and that's when Lee is at his best. For top 10, reference Nick vs Mitch McKee and Kyle Shoop.

Reactions: jrod65
As you know, Murin wrestles very defensively. (Murin is solid. Undersold by a lot of Hawk fans.) DeSanto lets it fly, and that's when Lee is at his best. For top 10, reference Nick vs Mitch McKee and Kyle Shoop.

Maybe my perception is off, but to me it seemed like Desanto was going out of his way to be more methodical/measured last year in his wrestling tactics(especially toward the end of the season) as opposed to the go-for-broke style the previous year. I would imagine that was something that was regularly worked on in the practice room; staying in position, more set-ups before shots, etc. I am hoping this year, he finds the balance between the two styles. If that happens, look out!

Maybe my perception is off, but to me it seemed like Desanto was going out of his way to be more methodical/measured last year in his wrestling tactics(especially toward the end of the season) as opposed to the go-for-broke style the previous year. I would imagine that was something that was regularly worked on in the practice room; staying in position, more set-ups before shots, etc. I am hoping this year, he finds the balance between the two styles. If that happens, look out!
Steadily heading towards stalling lol. If it's Anything like the Iowa football team offence will be hard to come by

Tech = 5.. Not 6

25 Lee Tech Teske 0-6
33 RBY Dec Teasdale 3-6
41 Lee Dec DeSanto 6-6
49 Lugo Dec Verk 6-9
57 Young Dec Berge 6-12
84 Shak Dec Wilcke 13-15
97 PSU Dec Warner 16-15

Reactions: Dogwelder
Just hope all the wrestlers stay healthy, and all the guys get a shot at representing their team.

I feel PSU is more set, line-up-wise, than Iowa, even though 133/141 seems to be their only question mark. A 141 DeSanto, if it happens, will be good, but it may take a while till he's used to the bigger guys. By January, he should be fine, if he starts the season at 141.

Only a 1 point difference, but a tech is only 5 points for Lee

This is true thank you! I had it as "pin" in the post I was quoting instead of my own words hence the words and numbers not matching up. I think Spencer will get a pin... don't post after a beer fest, friends.

Iowa guys: any idea when single match tickets go on sale to the public? Looking to make the drive out from Chicago for the PSU dual. No, I'm not an obnoxious PSU fan. Just love good wrestling, and wanna see this match in person. Thanks!

25 Lee Tech Teske 0-5
33 RBY Dec Teasdale 3-5
41 Lee Dec DeSanto 6-5
49 Lugo Dec Verk 6-8
57 Young Dec Berge 6-11
Agree with all but Cenzo. Marinelli seems to have his number.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT