ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Predicting the PSU-Iowa 2019-20 Dual - PART I

What is the outcome of the Jan 31st Dual?

• PSU by 10+ pts

Votes: 21 16.4%
  • PSU by 5-9 pts

Votes: 49 38.3%
  • PSU by 1-4 pts

Votes: 44 34.4%
  • PSU by criteria

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Iowa by criteria

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Iowa by 1-4 pts

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Iowa by 5-9 pts

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Iowa by 10+ pts

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Team pts deducted from Iowa

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • Team pts deducted from PSU

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Iowa guys: any idea when single match tickets go on sale to the public? Looking to make the drive out from Chicago for the PSU dual. No, I'm not an obnoxious PSU fan. Just love good wrestling, and wanna see this match in person. Thanks!
I checked today and no sales yet. I checked tonight and the "server" is down, no connection. Hoping it will be up tomorrow with tickets for sale.

Bull won't beat chenzo again mark it down

Done. I marked it down. It's on the same sheet of paper where I marked down people saying the Bull couldn't beat Joseph 2 years ago.
Just below that, I had it marked down that the only reason the Bull won was a "self-six" and he would never beat Joseph again.
You know what they say, "third time's a charm".

I’m kind of shocked no one is giving Verk or Berge a shot at winning. I think one of those guys wins if not both. You can’t underestimate how much PSU wrestlers improve from one year to the next. Plus I think Berge is a different wrestler at 157. He wrestled conservatively at 149 last year because of gas tank issues with the cut to 149.

I’m kind of shocked no one is giving Verk or Berge a shot at winning. I think one of those guys wins if not both. You can’t underestimate how much PSU wrestlers improve from one year to the next. Plus I think Berge is a different wrestler at 157. He wrestled conservatively at 149 last year because of gas tank issues with the cut to 149.

One of the folks sitting near me at Rec Hall told me last year that Berge was Nolf-like in the room last year - relentless pace, etc. I think, as probably a lot of others do, that the pull to 149 was not good for him and am very interested to see him at 157 this season.

Honest question as I do not know:

Did he regularly get near fall points against top ten opponents? How about against Murin? If the answer is no, this stat is irrelevant to the possible Desanto match. If yes, its something to consider.

A counter point to this is the difficulty of facing Desanto for the 1st time. His style is difficult to handle, especially if you have not experienced it yet.

Using LemonPie's 2019 data, here is how Nick Lee fared against each opponent wrt Nearfall, both 2 & 4. Numbers in cells are counts of, not points from. Lots of good guys stayed off their backs against him (Finesilver, Murin & perhaps the beastliest: Real Woods), but AA's McKee & Shoop each got turnt en route to MD losses, Shoop twice.

Not shown are Nick Lee's bouts at NCAA's, where he decked Nate Limmex, former AA Sa'Derian Perry, and Mitch McKee, and lost to McKenna & Demas, and decisioned Murin again, with zero nearfall.

As for takeaways from that data applied to a hypothetical bout between Nick Lee & Austin Desanto, I got nothin. That's two bros with extremely high energy, so I know the fans would win.

EHAYLn7XUAAhH-s

Iowa guys: any idea when single match tickets go on sale to the public? Looking to make the drive out from Chicago for the PSU dual. No, I'm not an obnoxious PSU fan. Just love good wrestling, and wanna see this match in person. Thanks!

I checked today and no sales yet. I checked tonight and the "server" is down, no connection. Hoping it will be up tomorrow with tickets for sale.

Sounds like tickets won't be available until the end of the month or possibly beginning of next month.

One of the folks sitting near me at Rec Hall told me last year that Berge was Nolf-like in the room last year - relentless pace, etc. I think, as probably a lot of others do, that the pull to 149 was not good for him and am very interested to see him at 157 this season.
I'll almost buy this -- almost because in the Cael era only David Taylor has had Jason's pace.

would totally buy Nick Lee-like. Watching Berge at Bucknell last year was like Lee's match was on replay. Granted the competition wasn't great, but he was very aggressive and dominated with short offense.

Also that was earlier in the season, before the cut really started becoming so burdensome.

The one concern I have about him is limited offense on top. Might not be getting as much bonus, and might have less margin for error in close matches.

Reactions: danoftw
I think talent wise it’s only hidlay, deakin, and berge at the top. Young being a level below, just don’t see the athleticism, or offense from him.

There are a ton of great matchups, many of which could go either way. Apart from Cenzo-Bull, the one I'm most looking forward to seeing is Berge vs Young. Like others, I'm really excited to see Berge at a more comfortable weight. I think he can give Young all can handle and then some. We shall see.

I want to pick both. Can it be both?

Well, to be honest, I was trying to lead Mitchell into bet territory, while simultaneously issuing a bit of a jab. Only because he was asking for it. You know Marinelli has my respect.

Reactions: jrod65
I think talent wise it’s only hidlay, deakin, and berge at the top. Young being a level below, just don’t see the athleticism, or offense from him.
Not directed at you, this seems to be a common theme … a bit of lack-of-respect for Kaleb Young. He's only a Junior, and beat Deakin twice at the NCAA Tournament, only losing to Berger (gone) and Pantaleo (gone). He also beat Hayes 2x and Bleise 2x during the season, and he did lose once to Deakin during the season. Nothing suggests he's not top-tier to me. Berge vs Young will be one of those marquee match-ups that the wrestlers embrace -- it'll be a good one.

Not directed at you, this seems to be a common theme … a bit of lack-of-respect for Kaleb Young. He's only a Junior, and beat Deakin twice at the NCAA Tournament, only losing to Berger (gone) and Pantaleo (gone). He also beat Hayes 2x and Bleise 2x during the season, and he did lose once to Deakin during the season. Nothing suggests he's not top-tier to me. Berge vs Young will be one of those marquee match-ups that the wrestlers embrace -- it'll be a good one.
Young is a one of those kids who gets kicked out of the room or he won't leave. Non stop motor, brutally strong and buys into everything the Brands boys have to offer.
Young is top tier and good enough to beat any of the other top tier kids. The one area I will be interested in seeing improvement is scoring. The kid wears his opponents out with his hand fighting, but the drive to score more points sometimes isn't there.
The Berge Young match is one I really want to see. I expect to see a different Berge, and suspect the Berge we watch this year is going to be fun to watch. Berge will concede nothing in the motor area, very little in the strength department and if Berge is wrestling to score that will be the difference. If for some reason the 157 version of Berge falls into the 149 version the Young Berge match will look like a Lugo match, the winner will be whoever manages a point in OT. I am excited to see how this year plays out. Many questions, and watching the answers play out is where much of the fun lies.

Here we go state, here we go.

Young is a one of those kids who gets kicked out of the room or he won't leave. Non stop motor, brutally strong and buys into everything the Brands boys have to offer.
Young is top tier and good enough to beat any of the other top tier kids. The one area I will be interested in seeing improvement is scoring. The kid wears his opponents out with his hand fighting, but the drive to score more points sometimes isn't there.
The Berge Young match is one I really want to see. I expect to see a different Berge, and suspect the Berge we watch this year is going to be fun to watch. Berge will concede nothing in the motor area, very little in the strength department and if Berge is wrestling to score that will be the difference. If for some reason the 157 version of Berge falls into the 149 version the Young Berge match will look like a Lugo match, the winner will be whoever manages a point in OT. I am excited to see how this year plays out. Many questions, and watching the answers play out is where much of the fun lies.

Nitlion6,

I 100% agree with your take on Young. I am more in the camp of wait and see with Berge, but would not be surprised at all if he does as well as many here are projecting.

It's a ways off, so not much to say this early. After spending a short time with Brady several weeks ago -- I will say he's ready! That said, I'm sure Young is too. My hope is both are healthy for the whole season, and we (fans) get to enjoy the wrestling.

Reactions: Ja1339
Lee/DeSanto would be f** to watch. Just wild attacks back and forth with neither running out of gas.

Reactions: nitlion6
NEVER in college. Bull lives rent free in Cenzo's head. He knows he'll end up on his back again if he gets aggressive with Marinelli.
Doesn’t sound like you’ve met Cenzo. He knows he has work to do to beat AMar, but I can pretty much guarantee he doesn’t waste neurons worrying about him.

Reactions: nitlion6
NEVER in college. Bull lives rent free in Cenzo's head. He knows he'll end up on his back again if he gets aggressive with Marinelli.
Cenzo's not sweating it. He knows he'd have to go to wrestle backs to run into him at NCAAs. As long as he stays in championship bracket he won't have to face his biggest fear that's living rent free in his head.Was a pretty good saying until guys that were 1-0 or 2-0 started living rent free in guy's heads just because a fan of the 2-0 guy said so.Cael lives rent free in HRs head

Cenzo's not sweating it. He knows he'd have to go to wrestle backs to run into him at NCAAs. As long as he stays in championship bracket he won't have to face his biggest fear that's living rent free in his head.Was a pretty good saying until guys that were 1-0 or 2-0 started living rent free in guy's heads just because a fan of the 2-0 guy said so.Cael lives rent free in HRs head
Cael owns the deed to HR’s house. He lets HR squat in the windowless basement in return for doing odd maintenance jobs

Done. I marked it down. It's on the same sheet of paper where I marked down people saying the Bull couldn't beat Joseph 2 years ago.
Just below that, I had it marked down that the only reason the Bull won was a "self-six" and he would never beat Joseph again.
You know what they say, "third time's a charm".
Exactly it hasn't progressed to the point he can win every close match with chenzo. But that's why they wrestle the matches I've been wrong before but I feel pretty strongly about this

Can’t wait till the HR meltdown in January :)

I honestly think it’s gonna be like the ass beating we gave tOSU when everyone was saying it was gonna be close dual last year

Ryan won’t go traditional draw. Match starts at 133, RBY beats Pletcher, Lee beats McKenna and we all laugh with joy knowing what’s coming up next..

Would love to start at 149..Verk beats Lugo, Berge beats Young...uh oh!

ADVERTISEMENT