ADVERTISEMENT

Poll please: Who supports the direction PSU Football is going and who is against it? I'm For it

100 percent in for the players

1000 percent disagree with the coaching staff. The proof is found with the results on the field. Players that were studs before joining the team are still studs but not really much improved. Players that had potential prior to joining the team never realized their full potential.

The game day coaching is horrendous.

Also, what is with so many injuries? What are we doing to condition our players yet not overwork them to being susceptible to injury?

Time is not something we have. The more seasons of the same results the more recruits we lose and this system relies on good to great players and not good to great coaching.

Hope everyone of you, my friends, are having a good day.

Respectfully disagree with your assessment of the coaching. Offensive Coordinator gets high marks from just about everybody, and that is a reflection on J.F. hiring him (which is what good head coaches do). As for the Defense, extremely thin at positions, kind of a Force Majeure

Respectfully disagree with your assessment of the coaching. Offensive Coordinator gets high marks from just about everybody, and that is a reflection on J.F. hiring him (which is what good head coaches do). As for the Defense, extremely thin at positions, kind of a Force Majeure
'Force Majeure', very good novel by Bruce Wagner about the seedy underbelly of Hollywood. Recommended.:)

I am IN! I think there are some red flags but CJF has represented the University and Joe Supporters as well as can be expected. Recruiting is good. The team looks crisp this year.

We are still a year or two away from competing so have to give CJF a bit of a pass on this.

I feel like we've made progress over last year and that's all I want. I look for 2017 & 18 to be good years.

Come on. Whether you are James Franklin's parents or his greatest enemy you cannot hang your hat on San Diego State.
I don't see anyone hanging their hats on anything. Guns said he wanted to see a top-50 win. I said that by every metric - human polls, computer polls, and analytic rankings - SD State was a top-50 team last year. They won double digit games and won their conference and bowl game, and we deserve some credit for beating them.

If the exact same team that we beat handily last September was instead wearing the uniforms of a "name brand" Power 5 school, we wouldn't see nearly as many people discounting it - that's all.

Reactions: Option Bob
I don't see anyone hanging their hats on anything. Guns said he wanted to see a top-50 win. I said that by every metric - human polls, computer polls, and analytic rankings - SD State was a top-50 team last year. They won double digit games and won their conference and bowl game, and we deserve some credit for beating them.

If the exact same team that we beat handily last September was instead wearing the uniforms of a "name brand" Power 5 school, we wouldn't see nearly as many people discounting it - that's all.

And they're ranked this year with essentially the same team. In other words, they were and are a good football team. Kind of like not counting a win this year over Houston because they're Houston.

And they're ranked this year with essentially the same team. In other words, they were and are a good football team. Kind of like not counting a win this year over Houston because they're Houston.

No, not at all, anything near discounting Houston. Nobody in their right mind has San Diego State anywhere near Houston in any poll, or any similarity at all.

Some people will never be friends with reality. We are 5 years removed from unprecedented sanctions Not only were we victimized by the NCAA but our very own BOT conspired to erase the proud history of the program and insure that its future would be bleak.
Each week fans of our opponents remind us of the stain our governor, his attorney general and a man paid more than eight million dollars by our very own trustees placed on the university and football program.
The football coaches deal with this negative baggage everyday. People who know more about college football than I do predicted major misery for PSU Football for many years.
Granted we are not elite. But I believe we are recruiting very well. We will not beat Michigan, Ohio State or MSU for awhile. Funny, not many other schools(not recovering from probation) are beating them these days. Get a grip.

I'm in. He is the real deal. He has Penn State values and will succeed here long after Mich and OSU's coaches are gone.

I have the patience to see it through.

Franklin deserves five years, however, if he cannot beat someone of consequence, he will lose his ability to recruit as well as he has, which is his biggest strength presently.

Some people will never be friends with reality. We are 5 years removed from unprecedented sanctions Not only were we victimized by the NCAA but our very own BOT conspired to erase the proud history of the program and insure that its future would be bleak.
Each week fans of our opponents remind us of the stain our governor, his attorney general and a man paid more than eight million dollars by our very own trustees placed on the university and football program.
The football coaches deal with this negative baggage everyday. People who know more about college football than I do predicted major misery for PSU Football for many years.
Granted we are not elite. But I believe we are recruiting very well. We will not beat Michigan, Ohio State or MSU for awhile. Funny, not many other schools(not recovering from probation) are beating them these days. Get a grip.

Very true

I support Franklin. However, I suggest three changes to his staff.

Name 21Gums OL coach.
Name Wally Breen Offensive Coordinator/QB coach.
Name McNits Recruiting Coordinator.

The above three changes will vastly improve performance and likely lead to consecutive undefeated, even NC, seasons. The above three have impeccable credentials as evidenced by their astute and inciteful posts on this message board.

Huge upgrade. FACT.

I appreciate the vote of confidence - but not sure why you elected recruiting coordinator. Recruiting is the least of our problems (unless we continue to lay eggs in winnable games against equal/lesser competition)...

I have the patience to see it through.

I am with Ro - I really don't follow College football anymore - just the Nittany Lions. Nauseated by how we were treated by the NCAA, the Big10, and our own BOT. So I just can;t stomach watching anyone else.

So I have no choice - I am all in. Incredibly proud of how Franklin has conducted himself and likewise the team.

Doesn't mean I won't call out mistakes that I believe the Penn State coaching staff makes. Or provide kudos when they do things right!

Will always cheer the team though - never forget they are only kids. Hope Franklin can do a better job of putting them in position to compete and win!

Franklin is the right man. He's shown improvement year to year. This year I say we win 7 and go to a decent bowl. Next year 8 or 9 wins.

Ivan are your related to a William (Bill) Brunetti from Pittsburgh, PA area?

Possibly. Ivan is a Chicago area artist and old drinking buddy of mine.

At one point, he was being considered as a replacement for Ernie Bushmiller's Nancy strip.

Nancy_02b.jpg

P.S. Don't google his work unless you want to see NSFW content.

New here... ALL IN, though.

I do think that Franklin is going to need to coach smarter, but there is evidence that he already is. Part of that is through effective delegation and improved offensive coaching hires (which has been discussed to death). I have some concern as to whether Brent Pry can effectively coach these young players "up", and I also have some concern that problems with fundamentals has contributed to the multitude of injuries that have piled-up on that side of the ball. He has also made some excellent in-game decisions in the last two games -- when was the last time you heard commentators complimenting his coaching decisions? I have heard it at least 2-3 times this year in-game.

I have to echo the sentiment that Franklin's style and emphasis is the right fit for Penn State. He certainly sees the importance of energizing the fan base (read: donating, game-attending alumni), and he emphasizes a Paterno-esque culture in which he expects excellence in academics and community service. In general, his message to the world regarding Penn State Football is POSITIVE. That is paramount right now, and I think he is earning his paycheck. I think in 2-3 years, the expectation will be fair that he produce winning teams that compete for (at least) the division title. That may be an unfair expectation this year, but it is certainly reasonable and it does seem like that is our general trajectory.

PSU fans need to have some damn testicular fortitude and patience.

BUMP FOR POSTERITY AND TO SHOW WHO AMONG US WAS A BELIEVER

For me, the jury is still out. I love Franklin as a person and as the guy to lead our student athletes. His recruiting results under very challenging circumstances have been incredible. But there are signs there that still make me wonder if he's a really good in-game football coach. Talent on the field can hide some of those deficiencies (as can having a good staff with really good coordinators), and we're on an upward trajectory in terms of talent. For now, I just continue to stay the course and hope for the best.
There is more to an HC than his and I mean his in game decisions.
He does recruit very good players.
He made the tough decisions after 2015 to make some staff changes.
He delegates very well.

Thankfully, no one at Penn Stare cares what any of you think about our coach. If you do not think he has done a great job, you have probably never managed anything more complicated than self gratification.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
Just so everyone knows, this is a resurrected thread from this time last year.
I wish they resurrected my post from the spring where I said that this team will win the national championship and that this offense is as good as if not better than '94

I'm with you. The biggest thing we need now is stability. I like Franklin, but if Urban Meyer decides he wants to make the jump to PSU, yeah ok, I'd be good with that.:)
ABSOLUTELY, NO WAY IN HELL!!! Meyer is a piece of crap!!! I do not care how good of a coach he maybe. If they ever hire that guy, I'd never be a Penn State football fan again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT