ADVERTISEMENT

Poll please: Who supports the direction PSU Football is going and who is against it? I'm For it

For me, the jury is still out. I love Franklin as a person and as the guy to lead our student athletes. His recruiting results under very challenging circumstances have been incredible. But there are signs there that still make me wonder if he's a really good in-game football coach. Talent on the field can hide some of those deficiencies (as can having a good staff with really good coordinators), and we're on an upward trajectory in terms of talent. For now, I just continue to stay the course and hope for the best.

I'm all in. Would be foolish to change now.

100% in. CJF is doing remarkable for the hand he was dealt with this job.

and even if your not sold on him, you need to give him time... Lions8286 is right. Changing the HC or any of our staff at this point in time, would probably set us back 4-5 years... Well unless your going to get Saban or Urban, and that won't happen....

The situation Penn State is in is unprecedented. What other team has had its the total number of scholarship players cut to 65 and then be allowed to ramp up to the normal 85 all in a span of 4 years? It had to play havoc with recruiting, not only in terms of how many ships we had to give out but also in what recruits we could get b/c of the sanctions (recruits figuring we'd be pretty bad) and the bowl ban.

Having said that, Penn State is doing better than a lot of programs that didn't have any sanctions to deal with. So I think the program is clearly in good hands and heading in the right direction.

I have the patience to see it through.
Inarguably going in the right direction. Maybe not fast enough for some..... but what we are accomplishing with largely young kids and limited depth is fairly impressive. Lot's of football to be played, and I'm really looking forward to watching it unfold.... Win or lose--Didn't really feel that way the last few years. Much more optimistic now.

I'm with you. The biggest thing we need now is stability. I like Franklin, but if Urban Meyer decides he wants to make the jump to PSU, yeah ok, I'd be good with that.:)

Reactions: Limestone_Lion
I'm all in with Franklin. IMHO Franklin has overacheaved the past 2 years. Next year our offense will be outstanding. My one concern has been the inability to land DT's and LB's. That is going to hurt us for years to come.

Franklin is a mixed bag so far. So long as he makes the right decisions staff wise, keeps recruiting well and continues to improve as a head coach, he should be OK. However, it did take him two season's to replace Donovan and shuffle the staff which is a concern. He continues to lose to teams he shouldn't lose against. Pitt most recently.

In a nut shell, he needs more time, but, his seat should remain warm as he has little room for error.

As Erial_Lion said, the jury is still out. I have confidence that Franklin is the man for the job, but he hasn't proven it yet. For now, I think I'll put my left foot in, then pull my left foot out, then put my right foot in and shake it all about. I'll do the Hokey Pokey and I'll turn myself around. Maybe then I'll find out what we're all about.;)

Reactions: psu00
At the risk of stating the obvious - what choice is there for me, as a fan?

I am not an alum or fan of any other program.
I am not influential enough to make changes - and if I could, who would PSU get to replace Franklin.

He has had back to back winning seasons and bowl games, and generally, the stadium has seen good crowds. Kids have stayed out of trouble, and have graduated.

Yes, when you get into the weeds, he has had some issues with coaches/line play/on field stuff....but part of that is the grown pains of a new coach/school/system....and that 800 lb. gorilla in the middle of the room....

Reactions: SR108
I wonder if there will be this much support for the "program's direction" this time next week?

Everyone wants to win them all. I'm a PSU Football Fan because I grew up in Pa. watching JVP do it the right way. I think JF is keeping the foundation of the important things Joe stressed, while modernizing the program. This is his destination job. He's making decisions looking at the big picture. We are very fortunate to have him. He's a good man.

All in. CJF is a good recruiter. He's good with the media. He is positive, and it looks to me that the players really like him. I also like the Moorhead and Limegrover hires.

Consider what tOSU and Alabama went through when Woody Hayes and Bear Bryant left. Both programs stunk on ice for years, with one incompetent coach after another. Franklin never bitches about the cards he was dealt. No knuckleheads on the team. Players on track to graduate. Tireless recruiter. Penn State keeping afloat in the toughest conference in college football. No losing seasons since this shiite storm happened. Would you rather be USC? ND, living in the past? Pitt? Hell yeah, Franklin.

I wonder if there will be this much support for the "program's direction" this time next week?

Good point. As I said, I have the patience to see the that we should not expect to beat the top 10 ranked teams in the polls this year, although I would not just concede defeat.
By the way are you related to a Billy Brunetti from Pittsburgh area? He's a friend of mine

For it. Things are looking better than last couple of years on the whole.

Franklin is a mixed bag so far. So long as he makes the right decisions staff wise, keeps recruiting well and continues to improve as a head coach, he should be OK. However, it did take him two season's to replace Donovan and shuffle the staff which is a concern. He continues to lose to teams he shouldn't lose against. Pitt most recently.

In a nut shell, he needs more time, but, his seat should remain warm as he has little room for error.

"However, it did take him two season's to replace Donovan and shuffle the staff which is a concern"
- really??? What did you expect him to do? Fire Donovan after the second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth or whatever game of the first or second year? I am probably more impressed with the fact that he did see that Donovan's system wasn't in line with his vision of the type of offense that he wanted to run at PSU in the future and he fired Donovan immediately after the second year and went out and got the guy who appears to have the type of system that he believes will be successful at PSU. That was a home run move by Franklin as far as I am concerned.

I am in between. It will take a while for PSU to re-emerge. I hate the offense (I am old school in that regard - Pro Set), but I do understand you have to do it to mask some weaknesses. With this staff it is not a stop gap but the way.

To each his own in that regard.

I don't like the CJF style of self promotion (probably not exactly the correct term), but again that is what you need to do to establish your brand. PSU had the PSU brand for so long that JVP didn't need to run around a post tweets with the number 1 finger up.

So while I don't like a lot of the stuff, I am willing to say that it is the way of 2016.

Consider what tOSU and Alabama went through when Woody Hayes and Bear Bryant left. Both programs stunk on ice for years, with one incompetent coach after another.
That isn't quite accurate about Alabama. In the 10 years after Bryant left, they had 1 non-winning season. They were ranked in the top 20 for 7 of those seasons and top 10 for 4 of them. Both Perkins and Curry had 10 win/top 10 seasons and Stallings had a NC and a #5 finish. They also managed to go 4-3 against PSU with 3 of the wins over a ranked Lions team.

If that is stinking on ice then what constitutes good (or just ok)?

That isn't quite accurate about Alabama. In the 10 years after Bryant left, they had 1 non-winning season. They were ranked in the top 20 for 7 of those seasons and top 10 for 4 of them. Both Perkins and Curry had 10 win/top 10 seasons and Stallings had a NC and a #5 finish. They also managed to go 4-3 against PSU with 3 of the wins over a ranked Lions team.

If that is stinking on ice then what constitutes good (or just ok)?

I'd be happy with that stink! Where can we get some? :D

Not on board he gets out coached all the time, I think we could be a lot better

We can re poll next week too. ;).

Reality is that the best poll will be looking back after the season rather than after 3 - 4 games.

"However, it did take him two season's to replace Donovan and shuffle the staff which is a concern" - really??? What did you expect him to do? Fire Donovan after the second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth or whatever game of the first or second year? I am probably more impressed with the fact that he did see that Donovan's system wasn't in line with his vision of the type of offense that he wanted to run at PSU in the future and he fired Donovan immediately after the second year and went out and got the guy who appears to have the type of system that he believes will be successful at PSU. That was a home run move by Franklin as far as I am concerned.

Well, for starters he probably should have known not to bring Donovan with him in the first place. Secondly, even if he thought he could handle it, it was painfully obvious that he was way over his head halfway through his first season, yet he coached a second. Firing him after year 2 was a year too late at minimum.

I keep reading how Franklin gets "out coached" all the time. Given talent he inherited and difficulty of recruiting his first year I think he has done a creditable job.

The new world of run the score and humiliate your opponent has made the talent disparity more obvious. How many you truly expected to come through the sanctions with a winning record?
We were supposed to be eliminated from the public eye. Our conference took steps to hold the regional TV markets when we collapsed.
We confounded all of them because Penn State people knew and were loyal. Now that we are turning the corner toward complete competitiveness is not a time to nit pick a coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT