ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt OC canada going to LSU

On the Lair, they say this is not a lateral move, like the one Shoop made last year. They even compare their coaching defections to us.

But they are right: this is definitely not a lateral move. From Pitt OC to LSU OC is most definitely a step up. From Pitt OC to LSU locker room attendant is a step up, as well, albeit a slightly smaller one.

Somebody is going to get paid a heck of a lot more next year. Sounds like a promotion to me.

But with all the ACC Network money about to come their way you'd think they would be able to match the LSU offer. Plus they just had record setting season ticket sales that had nothing to do with us on the schedule. They are flush with cash. ;)

Reactions: john4psu and BBrown
On the Lair, they say this is not a lateral move, like the one Shoop made last year. They even compare their coaching defections to us.

But they are right: this is definitely not a lateral move. From Pitt OC to LSU OC is most definitely a step up. From Pitt OC to LSU locker room attendant is a step up, as well, albeit a slightly smaller one.

At face value, both Canada and Shoop left for lateral moves in terms of role. Shoop quite clearly had his sites set on an HC job as fast as possible and saw a loaded UT roster as his stepping stone....but that move backfired when the Vols got decimated by injury and the D fell through the floor. Canada's move is a bit more of a head scratcher if he wants to be a HC. One more year at Pitt with their schedule next year and he probably could have put up numbers good enough to open a lot of doors. LSU is a bigger mixed bag. More talent but an offense that has underperformed for years...and tougher schedule.

The irony would be if Canada left Pitt because of money after we heard how much their new administration was invested in keeping their coaching talent. One would think given that the offense was the difference between being 8-4 and as bad as 3-9 that they'd have done everything possible to keep him.

Reactions: john4psu
This move was purely to get out off that hell-hole in Oakland. Not money, titles, or becoming a head coach. Heck, MC probably would have gone to LSU for a pay cut. It's fun to make more money, but that not what life is about.

At face value, both Canada and Shoop left for lateral moves in terms of role. Shoop quite clearly had his sites set on an HC job as fast as possible and saw a loaded UT roster as his stepping stone....but that move backfired when the Vols got decimated by injury and the D fell through the floor. Canada's move is a bit more of a head scratcher if he wants to be a HC. One more year at Pitt with their schedule next year and he probably could have put up numbers good enough to open a lot of doors. LSU is a bigger mixed bag. More talent but an offense that has underperformed for years...and tougher schedule.

The irony would be if Canada left Pitt because of money after we heard how much their new administration was invested in keeping their coaching talent. One would think given that the offense was the difference between being 8-4 and as bad as 3-9 that they'd have done everything possible to keep him.
It could very well be that Canada looked at the graduating athletes and the depth chart at Pitt and decided that next year could be a huge fall-off to his very good offensive output this year making this year the the very attractive year to move.

I believe right now if he had stayed at Pitt his HC op's would have been MAC/Temple like jobs... To me he is rolling the dice and going big. He does well at LSU, people will notice. He could be offered a big time HC position if he does well at LSU. It's a gamble with that offense, but a risk he is willing to take for a shot at a top HC position.

I think it was a smart move by canada. Pitt loses ALOT next year on the offensive side of the ball...starting QB, 2 OL, RB Connor, and TE. I am sure Canada saw that next year will not be as good and the time to jump was now.

On another note, I was wondering how this will affect Pitt's recruiting so I checked out their 47th ranked class.....47...I thought Nardouchie was a better recruiter than that?!?!?! Doesn't look like anyone that Penn State would want.

Hopefully, the Nardouchie learns a lesson from this. The irony being he ran his mouth to recruits and anyone that would listen that Penn State was not stable and it turns out his own house is not stable. He should worry more about filling up those empty yellow seats in their rent-a-stadium or call for a yellow or mustard OUT every home game to make it look better to recruits and the TV nation, when they are on that is.

This move was purely to get out off that hell-hole in Oakland. Not money, titles, or becoming a head coach. Heck, MC probably would have gone to LSU for a pay cut. It's fun to make more money, but that not what life is about.

Also, ceiling at Pitt is very low. I'm sure Duzz is really beginning to realize this. Despite my distaste for him, I have no reason to believe he isn't a solid coach. You could also argue this is Pitt's best season in the last 25+ years. The result? A trip to the New Era Pinstripe Bowl against a team from the bottom half of our conference's inferior division and a less than mediocre recruiting class. Any assistant that performs under him, like Canada, will leave at the first opportunity they get; and unfortunately for Duzz, it completely out of his control.

What does the Captain of the Good Ship Lollipop on the Lair have to say about this move???He ran his big,stupid mouth for a month last year when we had some Assistants leave.I t was because Franklin was a terrible coach,Franklin was a dictator,State College was a dump,Franklin was a idiot,The Clearly Act,Paterno was a Liar,F Franklins on the hot seat,Franklin doesn't have an extension! Can't wait to read his dissertation on why this was a good move for Pitt and bad for Psu.

Reactions: kingfarouk13
I think it was a smart move by canada. Pitt loses ALOT next year on the offensive side of the ball...starting QB, 2 OL, RB Connor, and TE. I am sure Canada saw that next year will not be as good and the time to jump was now.

On another note, I was wondering how this will affect Pitt's recruiting so I checked out their 47th ranked class.....47...I thought Nardouchie was a better recruiter than that?!?!?! Doesn't look like anyone that Penn State would want.

Hopefully, the Nardouchie learns a lesson from this. The irony being he ran his mouth to recruits and anyone that would listen that Penn State was not stable and it turns out his own house is not stable. He should worry more about filling up those empty yellow seats in their rent-a-stadium or call for a yellow or mustard OUT every home game to make it look better to recruits and the TV nation, when they are on that is.

I'd be careful about predicting some big dropoff for Pitt's offense. Doubt they match this year's numbers but I still think there's plenty to work with there if they can get a QB to manage the game like Peterman (not exactly a given, of course). Their RBs are still very good even if Conner moves on, and Henderson is a threat every time he touches the ball. OL will have to fill holes but again - look at the schedule next year. They get PSU and Okie State again in non-conference but their Atlantic cross over games are NC State and Syracuse.....they avoid FSU, Clemson and Louisville for the next 3 years.

For a guy that has never had a HC job, this does seem like a gamble while I'd expect fairly good success at Pitt even with guys like Connor, Orndoff and an experienced Peterman moving on.

What does the Captain of the Good Ship Lollipop on the Lair have to say about this move???He ran his big,stupid mouth for a month last year when we had some Assistants leave.I t was because Franklin was a terrible coach,Franklin was a dictator,State College was a dump,Franklin was a idiot,The Clearly Act,Paterno was a Liar! Can't wait to read his dissertation on why this was a good move for Pitt and bad for Psu.

He's MIA so far today. They don't let him out of the cell until lunchtime most days.

Although NC State has denied the two were related, Canada was fired after interviewing open East Carolina HC position. If his goal is to try for a G5 HC position in the next few years, being OC of LSU is far better than being OC of Pitt and it can't hurt to sock away an extra million over two years for the expected pay cut.

I'd be careful about predicting some big dropoff for Pitt's offense. Doubt they match this year's numbers but I still think there's plenty to work with there if they can get a QB to manage the game like Peterman (not exactly a given, of course). Their RBs are still very good even if Conner moves on, and Henderson is a threat every time he touches the ball. OL will have to fill holes but again - look at the schedule next year. They get PSU and Okie State again in non-conference but their Atlantic cross over games are NC State and Syracuse.....they avoid FSU, Clemson and Louisville for the next 3 years.

For a guy that has never had a HC job, this does seem like a gamble while I'd expect fairly good success at Pitt even with guys like Connor, Orndoff and an experienced Peterman moving on.
Connor has already announced for the draft.

That could be but I think its more of a "Get the hell away from my Psycho Head Coach". LOL.

Reactions: john4psu

The $ has reported to be as high as 1.8 million for Canada to move to LSU . There aren't many schools willing to pay that for an OC. Only in the $EC and a few others where football is the only thing that really mstters.

What a great move for Canada. More money now and better resume builder in LSU so that he can get to a higher tier head coach position where he will make huge bank. Smart career move. Nothing lateral about it. Pitt is recognized as a second tier coaching stepping stone. The Pitters will spin it their way but it is what it is.

Come on Captain Reilly give us your expert opinion on why Pitt has had 3 oc in 3 years and Darduzzi can't keep coaches?You ran your mouth about how Pitt is committed to football now and things would be different!I know your over here lurking on this board put your H2P comments about Canada to Lsu over on the Lair so we can laugh!!!

This is clearly a mass exodus from Pitt. Coaches, recruits and players are realizing the crime ridden cesspool of Oakland is not what they were promised.

And here I thought nardoozie was building a dynasty in Oakland. Could I have been wrong?

:confused:

It's far simpler than that, I believe:

The LSU job is simply a better job.....a lot better.....in and of itself

Rather than postulate about "where this job can take me".....it's a hell of a lot easier - and more productive - to simply pursue better jobs when they become available.

Reactions: step.eng69
That's not a dynasty that's being built. That's the new Psych Hospital.

Why did I stop over at the liar this morning? Why? I thought I would stop in to see what they were saying about Canada leaving. Some were rationalizing, of course. Then I was amused to see a thread from last week about Moorhead leaving Penn State. They were trashing Franklin, of course. Oh the irony.

However, while on the liar, I saw a thread claiming a report of academic fraud at Penn State. The original poster said that Ron Musselman reported it via social media, but the idiot didn't notice that the account owner claimed it to be a parody account. That didn't stop those idiots. One of them claimed that Joe inflated grades for decades.

Is there anything anti-PSU these morons won't claim as fact?

Why did I stop there this morning?

I think his move to LSU still gives Pitt another National Championship. They'll make their own trophy and have it in the case by the end of the week.

I'm guessing that Canada leaving Pitt means that the QB transferring from USC - Max Browne, will be crossing Pitt off of his list. The kid has one year and probably won't risk it with a new OC in place.

When a Penn St. assistant moves on, the Lair likes to twist the message by saying nobody wants to coach with James Franklin.
When a Pitt assistant leaves for the same exact position at another university, the Lair says it's good to have coveted coaches.

In reality, Canada leaving reinforces the fact that Pitt is a stepping stone job....especially if a guy is going to jump ship after one successful season to perform the same role at another school. If Pitt wants to be a 'big boy', they need to compete with the big boys and pay their assistants enough to prevent them from taking parallel jobs. It's one thing to leave for a step-up and another thing to leave for the same position.

When Lionrevival boasted on here, I will bet he had no idea how much bad karma he would end up accruing.

What does the Captain of the Good Ship Lollipop on the Lair have to say about this move???He ran his big,stupid mouth for a month last year when we had some Assistants leave.I t was because Franklin was a terrible coach,Franklin was a dictator,State College was a dump,Franklin was a idiot,The Clearly Act,Paterno was a Liar,F Franklins on the hot seat,Franklin doesn't have an extension! Can't wait to read his dissertation on why this was a good move for Pitt and bad for Psu.

I can't believe (well yes I can actually) that those mindless minion lemmings over there read what Captain Crayola writes in bold colors for his self importance that would insult anyone with working brain cells.

Reactions: dwiz

The Crapstain is an asshole, nothing more.

Paris Ford

Ford and that Ohio running back are the only decent players they have this year. It's a remarkably poor class. Narduzzi did not put together a staff of good recruiters, that is for sure. Wanny did a hell of a lot better than him, so it's not just because they are Pitt.

They are bobbing and weaving like crazy on the Lair about Canada.

Wait until Saturday when for the second year in a row we get the best recruit in Pennsylvania from right under their noses. It will be fun to look at how they dismiss that.

Reactions: step.eng69
They are bobbing and weaving like crazy on the Lair about Canada.

Wait until Saturday when for the second year in a row we get the best recruit in Pennsylvania from right under their noses. It will be fun to look at how they dismiss that.
He's already been dismissed because he doesn't have the height to play major college football.

Reactions: BBrown
Let's compare.....

empty-pitt.jpg

OR

LSU_football_game.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT