ADVERTISEMENT

PIAA States discussion

wins 6-0 over Ryan Anderson of BECA in semis.

Has he wrestled Anderson prior to this this year or last? If so, what was the final score. Anyone know what Anderson's record this year was coming into match? I ask because it may say more about Andrrson's potential than anything bad about Spencer....scholastic wrestlers often develop late and can continue to improve at collegiate level.

Reactions: mn78psu83
Graduated Cornell in 1990, so my info is a little dated.

Several of the colleges at Cornell are state-related and, therefore, have less lofty admissions standards than the "private" colleges. However, the state-related colleges are not by means easy to get into. One reason is NY residents often go to the state-related colleges because it is much cheaper and there is really no restriction to classes you can take.

I had several friends who wrestled at Cornell when I attended, and know for a fact that more than a few team members at that time were in the private colleges. They weren't quite the national presence back then, but certainly were perennial Ivy League contenders.

Has he wrestled Anderson prior to this this year or last? If so, what was the final score. Anyone know what Anderson's record this year was coming into match? I ask because it may say more about Andrrson's potential than anything bad about Spencer....scholastic wrestlers often develop late and can continue to improve at collegiate level.
He was 27-3 coming into states. So, I guess 29-3 when he wrestled Spencer. No idea who the 3 losses were to. FWIW, he (Anderson) had the lowest regional seed ranking of the 5 regional champs at 126.

just saw McGonigal's exciting win at 170. The mat looks like it would be right-sized for elementary wreslters!

He was 27-3 coming into states. So, I guess 29-3 when he wrestled Spencer. No idea who the 3 losses were to. FWIW, he (Anderson) had the lowest regional seed ranking of the 5 regional champs at 126.
A few more things to note...Anderson is a sophomore and last year did not compete in the post-season due to not making weight at the D11 tournament.

Interesting, thanks for the info. Looks like he's one to keep an eye on especially if he "wrestles back" for 3rd in ConsI Bracket Championship (i.e., he may be 2nd best @26 and finished 3rd simply due to seeding as you point out).

If Big Brother really had fondness for his time at PSU, you'd think it might manifest itself in his social media accounts. Instead - near silence. Compare to other recent greats and the difference is striking.

It's sad and who knows what the reasons are.

I'm not too savvy about social media, but drawing any conclusion about lack of pro-PSU content in Ed Ruth's social media accounts seems a bit of a reach. Ed never struck me as a cheerleader type or a rah-rah guy.

Reactions: Grass
I'm not too savvy about social media, but drawing any conclusion about lack of pro-PSU content in Ed Ruth's social media accounts seems a bit of a reach. Ed never struck me as a cheerleader type or a rah-rah guy.
Perhaps and you make a good point about Easy Ed. Believe me, I'd love another Ruth in the room - can never have enough freak athletes.

I don;t think Ed is the problem. The family's perception was that Ed played second fiddle to DT and based on numerous posts on the message boards I would have to agree. There were a LOT of negative posts about Ed on the message boards and nothing but positive posts re DT.

Any supposed rift is way overblown, imo. The Ruths were sitting in the PSWC section at Nationals last year which would indicate there is nothing to those speculations.

Anderson's losses were to:
- Beau Bartlett 6-4 SV at Ironman finals
- Pat Glory 3-0 at Beast of the East finals
- Noah Levett, Kiski 7-6 at state duals
- Patrick Gould 3-1 SV at D11s

Gould beat 2x state champ Tyson Klump last year. Levett is a good wrestler, but Anderson should've won that.

And the point above is true: Anderson's seed is skewed due to his lack of postseason last year. Half of the seeding points are based upon last year's results; Anderson scored a zero for that category.

I don;t think Ed is the problem. The family's perception was that Ed played second fiddle to DT and based on numerous posts on the message boards I would have to agree. There were a LOT of negative posts about Ed on the message boards and nothing but positive posts re DT.
I honestly don't remember the negative posts about Ed other than asking him to not drink and drive. His career was stellar. What wasn't there to like? He was a laid back sort and that may have engendered some jealousy from those unable to make it look easy in life or wrestling.

Ed Ruth was a Penn State great, and will always be remember as a three time champ. 98% of the Ed Ruth story begins and ends there.

There were some really bizarre posts about Ed.
Especially early on, and mostly about some perceived lack of effort, which was really a lack of understanding and not being smart enough to be aware of the lack of understanding. You know the kind. He only won 12-1, he just doesn't seem to try hard at times.

Shame if idiot message board posts played a role in diminishing the enjoyment Ed and his family should have experienced relative to his competing, and competitive successes.

As far as Spyker and Edmund Ruth posts. I believe some of the pooh-poohing is an instinctive response to any post by Spyker.

In case it matters to anybody. As a very long time Penn State wrestling fan I would be ecstatic if Edmund chose to wrestle at Penn State.

Especially early on, and mostly about some perceived lack of effort, which was really a lack of understanding and not being smart enough to be aware of the lack of understanding. You know the kind. He only won 12-1, he just doesn't seem to try hard at times.

Shame if idiot message board posts played a role in diminishing the enjoyment Ed and his family should have experienced relative to his competing, and competitive successes.

As far as Spyker and Edmund Ruth posts. I believe some of the pooh-poohing is an instinctive response to any post by Spyker.

In case it matters to anybody. As a very long time Penn State wrestling fan I would be ecstatic if Edmund chose to wrestle at Penn State.
I loved Ruth's style - he flowed out there. Amazing athleticism, deceptive awesome strength, and great sportsmanship. I well remember his kind respect shown to guys like Steinhaus and other guys who tried their hardest to beat him and couldn't. Him, Q, and Morgan were my favorites in that latter category. All 3 were the epitome of class on the mat.

Yeah, this is how I remember it as well. Quite a few posts complaining about Ruth being lazy, sometimes explicitly because he didn't shoot every 5 seconds like Taylor. Of course it was total bunk, and Ruth's bursts were unstoppable.

And let's be completely honest about this: "lazy," "lack of effort," and the like mean different things to different people.

I think the "he's going elsewhere" is more a matter of looking at our roster and commits. If he came to PSU, he might have to sit a year after shirting. No idea if he would be willing to do that. And that's also becoming a foreign concept to us -- other than Matt Brown, our studs have been 4-year starters.

Reactions: smealpsu2005
I honestly don't recall much in the way of negativity with respect to ER. As far as DT getting more attention, that may be true to a minor degree and would be mostly due to their differences in personality and wrestling style. Ed was so matter of fact and workman like whereas the Magic Man was just that. Ed got a lot more attention initially when he got to the international level as he was having so much success. I don't think there is a single person on this board that didn't love, appreciate and wish the best for ER, I know I do.

Yeah, this is how I remember it as well. Quite a few posts complaining about Ruth being lazy, sometimes explicitly because he didn't shoot every 5 seconds like Taylor. Of course it was total bunk, and Ruth's bursts were unstoppable.

And let's be completely honest about this: "lazy," "lack of effort," and the like mean different things to different people.

I think the "he's going elsewhere" is more a matter of looking at our roster and commits. If he came to PSU, he might have to sit a year after shirting. No idea if he would be willing to do that. And that's also becoming a foreign concept to us -- other than Matt Brown, our studs have been 4-year starters.
Bet if he red shirts one year he beats anyone around his weight class...Guys he is going to be EXACTLY like his brother who would have had 4 NCAA titles if not getting hurt in the quarters of his freshman year....Tell you what....Go up to DT and ask him this question....Who is the best college wrestler you have ever wrestled at or around your weight ? I promise you he will say Ed Ruth...I have ask and heard him tell many people....Also ask Coach Casey who is the ONLY wrestler to ever take you down in the 5 years Ed Ruth was at PSU...Answer....Ed RuuuuuuTH !!!! His brother may not win in the finals against the kid who placed 2nd last year......But in 2 years Edmond will crush the same guy.....Like Ed in 10th grade he is still raw at 37 and 0....

Can't believe I'm responding to this drivel ...

Ed did not get injured in the NCAA quarters -- it was in the semis. And maybe, just maybe the reason his knee was injured on those multiple bows and arrows was because he couldn't defend the bow and arrow. (That's no knock on Ed -- just ask Bonaccorsi and Pantaleo and Micah Jordan about that move.)

Oh, and BTW the champ that year, Jon Reader, was really good. Undefeated, dominated the finals, and beat Q in the postseason.

I love Ed and thought he was a great wrestler, but the negative publicity and the "lack of discipline" stuff largely was a result of the alcohol-related incident in DC, of his own making...and his subsequent brief suspension at PSU which even Ed said he deserved and was of his own making (but also said he learned from it and it would make him better in long-run).

Ed did not get injured in the NCAA quarters -- it was in the semis. And maybe, just maybe the reason his knee was injured on those multiple bows and arrows was because he couldn't defend the bow and arrow. (That's no knock on Ed -- just ask Bonaccorsi and Pantaleo and Micah Jordan about that move.)

Oh, and BTW the champ that year, Jon Reader, was really good. Undefeated, dominated the finals, and beat Q in the postseason.
Okay. My fault El...I thought it was the quarters but after looking at my program your right....But i think you get my point...I want Edmond Ruth more than anyone right now. Thanks for the correction bro. Hope to see ya at Nationals this coming week....

I love Ed and thought he was a great wrestler, but the negative publicity and the "lack of discipline" stuff largely was a result of the alcohol-related incident in DC, of his own making...and his subsequent brief suspension at PSU which even Ed said he deserved and was of his own making (but also said he learned from it and it would make him better in long-run).
Oh my yes. Ed will tell you that was a blessing in disguise....He did make up for it in a HUGE way to say the least !!!! This would be like a Thorn not going to Minn....Notice the coaches watching him very close last night in the semis....

Not sure who you are responding to but Ed lost to Much in the quarter finals in 2011. Per Casey (think it was Casey) his knee locked up and he couldn't continue.

Reactions: KidNittany
Just curious. Did DeSanto change weights to face Spencer before or after Spencer had a known knee injury? Those that have watched both wrestle as of late, what are your predictions on the score tonight?

Not sure who you are responding to but Ed lost to Much in the quarter finals in 2011. Per Casey (think it was Casey) his knee locked up and he couldn't continue.

Ruth was indeed injured in the quarters that year, due to his knee locking up. He couldn't walk off the mat by himself

WT - I think Spencer's knee is fine and the brace is precautionary at this point. I was surprised when it happened that the news of Spencer sitting out a post season tournament did not become the topic of endless debate on this board and others.

I held off posting my earlier message today regarding the missed post season match but figured why not as everyone has now seen him with the knee brace.

More concerning is the willingness of some posters to take this little bit of information from an anonymous poster and minutes later speculate on another board that Spencer may avoid the Dapper Dan match with Fix.

Unbelievable.

Reactions: WildTurk
Hong lost in Round 1 too. So much for that pick.

Like I said, picks 100% guaranteed to be wrong.
Hong has wrestled back to the 3rd place match and believe he beat the kid he lost to in the first round. I really enjoy seeing kids that wrestle back to 3rd after losing the first round. Talk about doing it the hard way

Yeah, you guys are right, I looked it up, it was the quarters.

But I stand by the more important point: Ed's knee locked up because he got cranked in the bow and arrow multiple times. So the whole "he's a 4x champ if he doesn't get hurt" doesn't fly.

Just curious. Did DeSanto change weights to face Spencer before or after Spencer had a known knee injury? Those that have watched both wrestle as of late, what are your predictions on the score tonight?

Of course it was after. He has a direct line with the doctor on the other side of the state 5 or so hours away. He made sure Spencer wouldn't be 100% this weekend before he went down to 126 a month ago and also made sure the doctor would give bad treatment to Spencer in the interim.

Seriously, did you think at all before you asked this absurd question?

I figure the finals deserve their own threads. So you can continue any discussions started in this thread, but switch to the finals thread for the respective finals.

WT - I think Spencer's knee is fine and the brace is precautionary at this point. I was surprised when it happened that the news of Spencer sitting out a post season tournament did not become the topic of endless debate on this board and others.

I held off posting my earlier message today regarding the missed post season match but figured why not as everyone has now seen him with the knee brace.

More concerning is the willingness of some posters to take this little bit of information from an anonymous poster and minutes later speculate on another board that Spencer may avoid the Dapper Dan match with Fix.

Unbelievable.
That was me, and message boards are for speculating. Not stating anything as fact. Simply speculating. You can choose to ignore if you wish.

Here's a question. 120lb AA, Pasone from Meyers was already locked in to place at States. Gets mad after the match and flips the Ref the bird. Flagrant Misconduct and disqualified. Who gets to wrestle in that slot going forward? Being that there was already a match completed. If it were a match that he won that's easy , but since he lost , is it the last guy he knocked out of the tournament?

I think Lee beats DeSanto by MD or more, but I give him tons of credit for wanting to wrestle the best. I heard an interview of his a week or two ago, and was very impressed.

I loved Ruth's style - he flowed out there. Amazing athleticism, deceptive awesome strength, and great sportsmanship. I well remember his kind respect shown to guys like Steinhaus and other guys who tried their hardest to beat him and couldn't. Him, Q, and Morgan were my favorites in that latter category. All 3 were the epitome of class on the mat.
you're right. He was always a true sportsman. Very gracious and humble at the conclusion of every match. That is how I like to see it. Been there, expected it, etc., etc.

Here's a question. 120lb AA, Pasone from Meyers was already locked in to place at States. Gets mad after the match and flips the Ref the bird. Flagrant Misconduct and disqualified. Who gets to wrestle in that slot going forward? Being that there was already a match completed. If it were a match that he won that's easy , but since he lost , is it the last guy he knocked out of the tournament?
Nobody replaces him, the spot is vacated.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT