ADVERTISEMENT

Phillies baseball fans .....

dawgduice

Jun 2, 2006
I've read that the "Phillies are said to be planning on "deliberating tanking" this upcoming season. I never thought THAT was a baseball "strategy". I understand it in the NBA where a top pick is very close to a can't miss. But in baseball??

I've read that the "Phillies are said to be planning on "deliberating tanking" this upcoming season. I never thought THAT was a baseball "strategy". I understand it in the NBA where a top pick is very close to a can't miss. But in baseball??
huh? link?

I believe the Phils are rebuilding. You can't rebuild a team that old in a few seasons. The Phils, I think, are going to be exciting again very soon. I'm excited with all the young talent acquired through the Hamels and Giles trades, as well as Crawford and Eflin. While I don't think they'll contend ni 2016, I know many teams would like to have that talent in their systems, and a few might fare worse than the Phils in 2016.

This article should help:

http://www.thegoodphight.com/2015/12/21/10636626/lets-get-this-straight-the-phillies-are-not-tanking

Where did you read that?

It's so stupid to ever accuse a team in baseball of deliberately tanking. Baseball drafts are the biggest crapshoot of all the drafts. It is a REBUILD to youth. And they are doing a hell of a job. There is A LOT to be excited about. This team might not win a lot of games but they will score runs. The pitching will suck. Watching the prospects and future come up throughout the year is going to be great. Once things come together there this team has a fortune available to spend in free agency and also internationally. And Middleton plans on making it rain.

MacPhail addressed the BS tanking stuff:

“We want to have flexibility and understand that there are certain challenges market to market, there are times when windows close where you’ve made a heck of a run and you realize that you may have to reboot it,”.

He bristles at the notion of tanking in relation to the Phillies and baseball as a whole.

“That annoys me beyond belief,” he said. “I don’t know why it’s been annoying me, but it’s a strategy that’s been employed in other sports, not so much in baseball. Teams have been rebuilding in baseball for 100 years.”

huh? link?

Can't find the link, but I did read such last week. I kind of dismissed it as being silly. I did not think it that important, since I do not believe that is what the Phils are doing. I think they are giving a serious look at the kids they have this year and hope to have a nucleus of a decent team. I would "expect" the Phils to use free agency to fill in the gaps and be competitive by next year.

It was the Buster Olney piece, I think :)

Reactions: PSUriseANDfire
It's so stupid to ever accuse a team in baseball of deliberately tanking. Baseball drafts are the biggest crapshoot of all the drafts. It is a REBUILD to youth. And they are doing a hell of a job. There is A LOT to be excited about. This team might not win a lot of games but they will score runs. The pitching will suck. Watching the prospects and future come up throughout the year is going to be great. Once things come together there this team has a fortune available to spend in free agency and also internationally. And Middleton plans on making it rain.

MacPhail addressed the BS tanking stuff:

“We want to have flexibility and understand that there are certain challenges market to market, there are times when windows close where you’ve made a heck of a run and you realize that you may have to reboot it,”.

He bristles at the notion of tanking in relation to the Phillies and baseball as a whole.

“That annoys me beyond belief,” he said. “I don’t know why it’s been annoying me, but it’s a strategy that’s been employed in other sports, not so much in baseball. Teams have been rebuilding in baseball for 100 years.”

The Pirates rebuilt for over 20 years with at least four five-year rebuilding plans.

The Pirates rebuilt for over 20 years with at least four five-year rebuilding plans.
The difference being the Phillies have the cash to finish a rebuild. This is not your old, Main Line, country club, UPenn Phillies front office. John Middleton is now in charge. He is more Steinbrenner than Giles.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT